Author Topic: It's just a battle for the order of the first 4 spots now between 5 teams...  (Read 557130 times)

Offline ANFIELDGATES

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Realistically, is it just a battle for 4th spot with 2 other teams now?
« Reply #1120 on: February 9, 2014, 10:48:18 pm »
Big difference. We had Rafa Benitez. They have David Moyes.
if utd think they can rescue their woeful season by winning the CL then theyre more fucked than i thought!!!not a chance,they may well beat olympiacos but they will get battered by the top sides...actually would love to see them get humiliated by barca again or bayern....love it

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1121 on: February 9, 2014, 10:49:48 pm »
Likely your right but many were saying that about us in 2005

I just don't believe they can do what we did v a then Juve or Chelsea side. We had 3 great midfield players which you absolutely need at the very top level and a great centre back pair. They have got good forwards and fuck all else.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1122 on: February 9, 2014, 10:51:34 pm »
We play all our games remaining like we did against Arsenal?

We win the League.
Conversely we play all our games like Villa or WBA and we come 6th !

The great thing this year is that we have bounced back from every dodgy performance with a good one. It doesn't seem likely we'll go on a long losing/drawing streak but who knows.

Every win now is huge.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1123 on: February 10, 2014, 02:52:53 am »
Win against Fulham and it all gets a bit exciting. Lose and we come back down to Earth as we have before this season.

Need a win on Wednesday to really make the Arsenal result count.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1124 on: February 10, 2014, 04:13:16 am »
Conversely we play all our games like Villa or WBA and we come 6th !

The great thing this year is that we have bounced back from every dodgy performance with a good one. It doesn't seem likely we'll go on a long losing/drawing streak but who knows.

Every win now is huge.
I'm pretty sure if we play every game like we played against WBA, we'll still come fourth. It really was not that bad a performance. It was pretty much what you'd expect from a 4th-placed challenger.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1125 on: February 10, 2014, 04:23:09 am »
I'm pretty sure if we play every game like we played against WBA, we'll still come fourth. It really was not that bad a performance. It was pretty much what you'd expect from a 4th-placed challenger.

I'm not so sure, I think we genuinely looked devoid of any creativity that day and also looked really lethargic overall.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1126 on: February 10, 2014, 04:33:40 am »
I'm not so sure, I think we genuinely looked devoid of any creativity that day and also looked really lethargic overall.
Away, on a shit pitch, on short rest after a derby, against a side that lost only twice against the top 7 all season (including our win), it was a professional performance except for an epic fuck up. I mean, I hope we won't be that tired every game, but considering the circumstances it was par for the course for a CL challenger IMO (though obviously not for a title challenger).

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1127 on: February 10, 2014, 04:37:19 am »
Away, on a shit pitch, on short rest after a derby, against a side that lost only twice against the top 7 all season (including our win), it was a professional performance except for an epic fuck up. I mean, I hope we won't be that tired every game, but considering the circumstances it was par for the course for a CL challenger IMO (though obviously not for a title challenger).

I guess you're right, though at this point I'd hope we'd be looking up the table and not behind us. Games in Europe will start again soon and we're going to have that massively in our favour you would think. Ideally we'd be chasing third to get that guaranteed entry into the CL.

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1128 on: February 10, 2014, 05:34:47 am »
I think that Newcastle have a better chance of catching us than Manchester United. I suspect Arsenal will beat them Wednesday and if Newcastle wins they will only be a point behind the Mancs. Their form dictates that they will get caught by Newcastle-not that they will make up 10 points on us. What I really would like is for United to somehow beat Arsenal and give us a better chance of catching Arsenal-which I think we have a very good chance of doing. Something just doesn't seem right with Arsenal right now-or City for that matter. If we beat Fulham we can do a bit more looking up that back in the coming weeks.
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1129 on: February 10, 2014, 05:35:40 am »
I think that Newcastle have a better chance of catching us than Manchester United. I suspect Arsenal will beat them Wednesday and if Newcastle wins they will only be a point behind the Mancs. Their form dictates that they will get caught by Newcastle-not that they will make up 10 points on us. What I really would like is for United to somehow beat Arsenal and give us a better chance of catching Arsenal-which I think we have a very good chance of doing. Something just doesn't seem right with Arsenal right now-or City for that matter. If we beat Fulham we can do a bit more looking up that back in the coming weeks.

Have you seen Newcastle since Cabaye left? They've been utterly dreadful.

Offline googhead

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1130 on: February 10, 2014, 08:24:56 am »
Have you seen Newcastle since Cabaye left? They've been utterly dreadful.
tbf remy and collochini have both been out as well that there three best players, with both returning after the spuds play them of course...
louie

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1131 on: February 10, 2014, 08:29:47 am »

If we play every game the way we played against WBA, we'll finish behind Newcastle.....

I know we're all still on a high after Saturday but lets not totally lose our bearings...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #1132 on: February 10, 2014, 08:55:03 am »
I said before the game on Sunday, that a Spurs win against the bitters would be ideal, as I actually fancy Newcastle to end their shite run of form with a win against them on Wednesday. If we beat Fulham away, I can really see a gap emerging (finally), between the top four and everyone else.

That's the plan anyway!!!
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline turkish kopite

• Legacy Fan
  • Black&White, Believe&Fight
« Reply #1133 on: February 10, 2014, 09:38:24 am »
Fulham are not a piece of cake. They got some players at transfer season
"Waiting for Vodafone Arena to win League Titles"

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #1134 on: February 10, 2014, 09:42:00 am »
13 cup finals left!

For the first time, im pretty confident United won't catch us this season.

I am not convinced Everton can keep the fight going all the way.....but its just Spurs that are annoyingly close. Need them to fuck off sharpish. Silent threat this whole time....

Looking upwards though, Arsenal we can get ahead of possibly.....and the other two, who knows? Doubt it, personally, but we can atleast keep the pressure on.

Loving this season so far....a champions league spot is in our hands
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1135 on: February 10, 2014, 09:49:43 am »
Big difference. We had Rafa Benitez. They have David Moyes.
I just don't believe they can do what we did v a then Juve or Chelsea side. We had 3 great midfield players which you absolutely need at the very top level and a great centre back pair. They have got good forwards and fuck all else.

if utd think they can rescue their woeful season by winning the CL then theyre more fucked than i thought!!!not a chance,they may well beat olympiacos but they will get battered by the top sides...actually would love to see them get humiliated by barca again or bayern....love it

Don't get me wrong I don't think they have a cat in hells chance, especially with the moyesiah at the helm. I didn't think they'd get as far as they have. Maybe the pressures off them a bit in Europe as no one expects them to win it. But you never know. Its a funny old game, to coin a phrase.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1136 on: February 10, 2014, 09:57:07 am »
Don't get me wrong I don't think they have a cat in hells chance, especially with the moyesiah at the helm. I didn't think they'd get as far as they have. Maybe the pressures off them a bit in Europe as no one expects them to win it. But you never know. Its a funny old game, to coin a phrase.

You didn't think they'd qualify from a group containing Leverkusen, Sociedad, and Donetsk? Really? That's all they've done. Hardly anything unexpected.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #1137 on: February 10, 2014, 09:57:45 am »
How the fuck a team as average as Spurs are only 3 points behind us is beyond me.
 ???
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1138 on: February 10, 2014, 10:01:33 am »
Fulham are not a piece of cake. They got some players at transfer season

thats a good point... they are not as shite as when we hammered them at home. I hope the players put the same effort like against Arsenal...push,press,kick,bite
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline RowBoatCop

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1139 on: February 10, 2014, 10:16:49 am »
Our achilles heel in recent years has been our inability to capitalise on other results at key moments in the season, but I have a feeling this week could be the time we fix that, Fulham had a tough, draining game against the mancs (who can put it up to anyone on their day  ;D), so we beat them & it's looking like a couple of results can roll our way as well, from there we can start looking up the table

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1140 on: February 10, 2014, 10:22:49 am »
Just because Chelsea lucked their way somewhat to the CL trophy (with a very good team still) and we had similar fortune in at times in our campaign in 2005 (with a fantastic spine in defence/midfield) doesn't automatically mean the Mancs will somehow do the same as their out of the running for 4th.

They could pack in the league now and it wouldn't make a difference, Moyes is their manager and they're playing shit on a stick football. Massive wishful thinking on their part, as if fortuitous CL runs are the rule and not the exception.

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1141 on: February 10, 2014, 10:25:03 am »
How the fuck a team as average as Spurs are only 3 points behind us is beyond me.
 ???

Because of your away form. Simple as that really.

Offline gorgepir

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1142 on: February 10, 2014, 10:25:12 am »
If we do make it, we will be in pot 3 not 4 as there are only around 20 teams with better rankings that will make it (+- 2 teams that could make it)

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1143 on: February 10, 2014, 10:28:04 am »

More like

1-0

Soldado (Pen)

Offline LiverpoolKopKings

• "He got to Number One. Then into minus figures. Though nobody could understand why!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Here's to win it before my expiry date!!!!
« Reply #1144 on: February 10, 2014, 10:33:44 am »
With our blitzkrieg tactics fulham will be looking to absorb the pressure and counter which has been just our undoing this season. we deffo need to score first to make them come out looking for the equalizer. Tell the truth can't wait for this one to be over as I rate it very tricky considering their absolute need to get anything from each game.
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands

Offline SMacDougall

• Kopite
« Reply #1145 on: February 10, 2014, 10:35:28 am »
Sat 08/03/14 PRL Chelsea 17 : 30 Tottenham Hotspur 
Sun 16/03/14 PRL Tottenham Hotspur 16 : 00 Arsenal 
Sun 23/03/14 PRL Tottenham Hotspur 13 : 30 Southampton 
Sun 30/03/14 PRL Liverpool 16 : 00 Tottenham Hotspur 

Spurs will surely fall away here.

Offline Istanbulievable

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1146 on: February 10, 2014, 10:44:03 am »
It's up to us if we get 4th. We can only throw it away.  We've showed what we can do in so many games this season, that it would be criminal if we didn't get top 4.  There's no point smashing teams if we then drop points in a lacklustre manner, like Hull and West Brom.

4th should now be the minimum.

Offline JayEvans

• Anny Roader
  • ☆☆☆☆☆
    • Keir Evans Clothing
SOS #10117

Online Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #1148 on: February 10, 2014, 10:51:45 am »

Very true mate. Thing is, I'm more worried about Spurs than anyone else, certainly Everton or Utd, because as average as you've been at times, you are still getting the results too (mainly down to Adebayor).
Having said that, I think if we beat Fulham on Wednesday, I can see us going on a run and putting some distance between us.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline tacklemyballs

• Lives on a diet of faeces.
  • Kopite
  • Peace and Love
« Reply #1149 on: February 10, 2014, 10:55:07 am »
I'm least worries about Spurs. Sherwood seems tactically naive and is riding his luck majorly.
"Sometimes you have to play in a position that you may not feel is your best."

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1150 on: February 10, 2014, 10:55:46 am »
More like

1-0

Soldado (Pen)

That hasn't happened for months to be fair ;)

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1151 on: February 10, 2014, 10:56:16 am »
Someone change the thread to "Realistically, is it just a battle for The Title with 3 other teams now?"

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1152 on: February 10, 2014, 10:56:32 am »

While that's correct, we are (exactly) on target for 76 points, which is a good haul. Which means for Spurs to be only 3 points adrift indicates that you're not quite as average as we'd like to think :).

I don't see Spurs reaching 75 points, while not reaching 75 would be something of a disappointment for us now. Top four is entirely in our hands and within reasonable expectations. And as I texted a Spurs mate on Saturday, you might still get 4th - but it won't be us you catch to do so. I'm sure you'd get more satisfaction from doing so to profit from an Arsenal slump, anyway :).

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline okabandai

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a White and Red Kop
« Reply #1153 on: February 10, 2014, 11:07:07 am »
We just need to stay focus and not get complacent.

Everton will be further behind as long as Lukaku is injured.

Spurs need Adebayor to perform every week to keep up.

and as long as man utd have Moyes as manager, no worry there. If they decide to sack him, then I'll be worried.
Mama is BOSS

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #1154 on: February 10, 2014, 11:11:52 am »
Things can change very quickly, all of the top 4 have been top of the league since Xmas.

Consistency is the key, we just need to keep our own house in order and stay focussed on winning EVERY game. Let the others fight for their places.
Doubters to Believers

Offline MrButler

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1155 on: February 10, 2014, 11:18:57 am »

There is no chance United are getting top 4 this season, don't know why everyone is suggesting it's close?

Offline decky

• Legacy Fan
  • DOYA
    • I play in a band you know
« Reply #1156 on: February 10, 2014, 11:21:51 am »
I think we should be looking up the table rather than behind us. I think Everton and United are gone and Spurs have to travel to Stamford Bridge and Anfield as well as play Arsenal next month, they'll get one point from those three if they're lucky. They were outplayed for most of the game yesterday and took their chance, fair play but other teams will outplay them and score.

For us, we know we can have off days but with Lucas, Johnson, Agger, Enrique and Sakho to return I think we can finish the season strongly. We'll have to beat a lot of lower table teams away but Rodgers is brilliant at bucking trends and refocusing his team. If we can win our next 3 games, we're in the title race. Beat City and Chelsea at home and all of a sudden it's 3 points. The fact that these injured players are coming back, Coutinho and Sterling have gone up a level and people like Flanagan stepping up too is making me dream a little

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #1157 on: February 10, 2014, 11:23:52 am »
People have been dreading this run/upturn of form and a comeback for a long time now and we've been showing how highly unlikely a turn-around is now, but it's just not coming. They're out of it.

We'll have the same discussion next week again or the next time we draw/lose, but it ain't happening. The odds are far, far against it.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Kadian

• Trolling along... The Specious One. Whistles the Liquidator as he types disparaging comments about Mario Balotelli So utterly predictable, Moreno's best mate
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're coming
« Reply #1158 on: February 10, 2014, 11:27:52 am »
We play all our games remaining like we did against Arsenal?

We win the League.

That's not going to happen though is it? Have the games against WBA and Villa erased your memory? It's only been within the last month.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, we are not winning the league. A challenge would be nice though.

Offline ANFIELDGATES

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #1159 on: February 10, 2014, 11:29:46 am »
I think we should be looking up the table rather than behind us. I think Everton and United are gone and Spurs have to travel to Stamford Bridge and Anfield as well as play Arsenal next month, they'll get one point from those three if they're lucky. They were outplayed for most of the game yesterday and took their chance, fair play but other teams will outplay them and score.

For us, we know we can have off days but with Lucas, Johnson, Agger, Enrique and Sakho to return I think we can finish the season strongly. We'll have to beat a lot of lower table teams away but Rodgers is brilliant at bucking trends and refocusing his team. If we can win our next 3 games, we're in the title race. Beat City and Chelsea at home and all of a sudden it's 3 points. The fact that these injured players are coming back, Coutinho and Sterling have gone up a level and people like Flanagan stepping up too is making me dream a little
good post but with all those players coming back its going to be imperative that brendan gets the selections right.chopping and changing the team to accomodate these returning players will be key.i know toure will most def drop down but i hope we dont make too many changes,hopefully we beat arsenal in the cup and maybe brendan can play the returning players in the next round.we are in good fettle atm so the likes of enrique etc etc will/should have to fight their way back in.