Author Topic: Maradona 1960-2020  (Read 99571 times)

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
Re: Maradona - Why the fuss?
« Reply #440 on: February 6, 2016, 04:12:21 pm »
Not a statistics player

Who needs statistics when you've captained your country to a world cup. Scored the greatest world cup goal in history. Scored the most controversial world cup goal in history. Scored them both in the same match and against England no less. That pretty much trumps all other statistics

The man is a god, and rightly so
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #441 on: February 6, 2016, 04:24:47 pm »
Best ever for me.
Yup, he's the top guy.  Sheer footballing charisma - dragged his side to a World Cup, nearly did it again, and would have had a bloody good go at doing it again if it wasn't for those pesky narcs.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #442 on: February 6, 2016, 04:47:17 pm »
Yup, he's the top guy.  Sheer footballing charisma - dragged his side to a World Cup, nearly did it again, and would have had a bloody good go at doing it again if it wasn't for those pesky narcs.

He probably wasn't the only one who was on the Charlie in the late 80's and early 90's. I reckon loads of the top pro's were fond of the odd dabble here and there. There's no way Maradona was the only one.

I reckon he became a target the moment he slotted that penalty against Italy in the semi final and knocked them out of Italia 90

Bear in mind Italy were the host nation, and Maradona was (at that time) playing for an Italian club

When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #443 on: February 6, 2016, 10:16:16 pm »
Bear in mind Italy were the host nation, and Maradona was (at that time) playing for an Italian club
Maradona even went as far as to ask Neapolitans to support him and Argentina for that match. Did not go down well! http://www.nytimes.com/1990/07/03/sports/world-cup-90-naples-loves-maradona-but-loves-italy-more.html 

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #444 on: February 6, 2016, 10:25:05 pm »
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #445 on: February 6, 2016, 11:49:40 pm »
Maradona even went as far as to ask Neapolitans to support him and Argentina for that match. Did not go down well! http://www.nytimes.com/1990/07/03/sports/world-cup-90-naples-loves-maradona-but-loves-italy-more.html 

I was wondering where I'd seen those stripes in your avatar before

Its come back to me now. They were on the West German kit at Italia 90 right?

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #446 on: February 7, 2016, 03:37:58 am »
I think I'll start a thread "Figo - Just a tanned James Milner"

;D

Suker - the Croatian Amir Zaki

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #447 on: February 7, 2016, 07:11:09 am »
The most skilful player I have ever seen, even though he was very one footed. Won the World Cup in a good, but not great Arg side (almost did it again 4 years later), and lead Napoli to the title twice over a legendary AC Milan team.

Messi is a great player, and may have better stats and more trophies, but Maradona was the most influential player of all time.

Offline Lucaspool FC

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #448 on: February 7, 2016, 08:50:08 am »
The most skilful player I have ever seen

His ball control is unmatched in the history of football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Y-hjpC8gQ

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
« Reply #449 on: February 7, 2016, 10:22:14 am »
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a25llkHkpOw

30 for 30 Maradona 86

I've said it before without doubt the greatest player ever
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: February 7, 2016, 03:40:39 pm »
What now?

Zidane - a mobile Charlie Adam

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #451 on: February 7, 2016, 06:50:59 pm »

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #452 on: February 7, 2016, 06:59:55 pm »
I was wondering where I'd seen those stripes in your avatar before

Its come back to me now. They were on the West German kit at Italia 90 right?
They were indeed

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #453 on: February 7, 2016, 07:16:54 pm »
One of a kind. The best player ever. Before football lost its soul.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #454 on: February 7, 2016, 07:31:24 pm »

30 for 30 Maradona 86

I've said it before without doubt the greatest player ever
Very good, just the right amount of melodrama attached, unlike Maradona a shame it's short.

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #455 on: February 7, 2016, 08:00:06 pm »
If we didn't have as much media coverage as we do now messi will be held higher.

Plus cause we over see the players and good goals we easily forget about how good they are.
In 70s/80s people maybe see. Replay of a goal once and talked it up more and it made folklore.

Saying all that maradona did it in all leagues and cup competition. Messi needs to win the World Cup to get to maradonas level.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #456 on: February 7, 2016, 10:40:31 pm »

I really enjoyed watching that

As brilliant as Messi and Ronaldo are, I think it's worth pointing out that they're playing in an era where players of their ilk are afforded much more protection than Maradona ever got. Sure, both of them get "kicked" from time to time, but its nowhere near the type of abuse that Maradona was subjected to.

That's why he's the greatest ever IMO. He had a phenomenal ability to ride through tackles, that were, in essence, violent attempts to maim him. He took it all in his stride. Literally.

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #457 on: February 7, 2016, 10:50:22 pm »

As brilliant as Messi and Ronaldo are, I think it's worth pointing out that they're playing in an era where players of their ilk are afforded much more protection than Maradona ever got. Sure, both of them get "kicked" from time to time, but its nowhere near the type of abuse that Maradona was subjected to.

That's why he's the greatest ever IMO. He had a phenomenal ability to ride through tackles, that were, in essence, violent attempts to maim him. He took it all in his stride. Literally.

there is also the massive difference in conditioning, preparation, etc.....people often talk about putting players in the same era and seeing what happens....really you need to put a player in the same era and see how they would have done had they grown up at the same time, had the same opportunities, challenges etc.

maradona, in my opinion, would have excelled in any era, and would have been talked about as the best whenever he played, the more modern technical and fitter game would have suited him due to his strength and technical nous on the pitch

weirdly, I can see see how maradona and pele would be lined up as messi and Ronaldo, but I thnk that is unfair to pele.....his legacy does tend to get ignored the longer time goes by....I do think he would excel in any era too, and only he can challenge maradona for me....and pele could take a good kicking too!!!!
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #458 on: February 7, 2016, 11:03:46 pm »
Maradona was one of the players who could make it look simple. A few players have that ability. I recall the expectations were extreme, right from 1982. Remember I was a bit disappointed he didn't run in circles around everyone. I thought he would. And then, four years later, he did. Was never a favorite for me. He was the one I loved to hate. It wasn't until he became the coach for Argentina that I began to like him. And then primarily for his comments to the press once they qualifield for the 2010 WC. So extremely not OK, but honest. His freekicks in training were quite something too.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: February 7, 2016, 11:08:42 pm »

Every era has its challenges. Maradona managed to be ahead of the rest. Every great player does.

What Messi and Ronaldo do these days is remarkable. Ten years from now, people will find ways to say the competition wasn't that good, so they had it easy. But they are outstanding.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: February 7, 2016, 11:56:52 pm »
Every era has its challenges. Maradona managed to be ahead of the rest. Every great player does.

What Messi and Ronaldo do these days is remarkable. Ten years from now, people will find ways to say the competition wasn't that good, so they had it easy. But they are outstanding.

What challenges do modern players have to contend with that can anyway to compare to football in late 50s, 60s and 70s when Pele was playing? I don’t think you can really compare; for that reason I think it's almost pointless to compare players from different eras especially when comparing players playing today to players who were playing all the way back in the 60s. 
Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #461 on: February 8, 2016, 12:25:39 am »
What challenges do modern players have to contend with that can anyway to compare to football in late 50s, 60s and 70s when Pele was playing? I don’t think you can really compare; for that reason I think it's almost pointless to compare players from different eras especially when comparing players playing today to players who were playing all the way back in the 60s. 

Players are taking care of themselves more. Training and rehab is better. There's video to help educate and train players. So you are facing better opponents overall. Agree though that it's pointless to compare. Hence why I said every era has its own challenges.

Maradona was outstanding in his era. Just like the great ones are.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #462 on: February 8, 2016, 12:58:00 am »
Messi needs to win the World Cup to get to maradonas level.

No, he doesn't. Cruyff never won one and is at a similar level, if not higher to Maradona in my opinion. Cruyff also has had a much greater influence on how football has been played in the past twenty-five years than Maradona has.

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #463 on: February 8, 2016, 01:51:27 am »
Zidane - a mobile Charlie Adam

Kaka - a rapid Lallana
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: February 8, 2016, 05:49:32 am »
No, he doesn't. Cruyff never won one and is at a similar level, if not higher to Maradona in my opinion. Cruyff also has had a much greater influence on how football has been played in the past twenty-five years than Maradona has.

Says the man with a Cruyff profile picture.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #465 on: February 8, 2016, 07:30:22 am »
The one player who comes close to being compared to Maradona in this era that I have watched, is not Messi. Its Suarez. I am talking about the way they play and their attitude towards football.

Messi scores goals (Maybe compared to Pele). Suarez scores goals with a bit of romanticism attached to it like Maradona.
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: February 8, 2016, 10:35:47 am »

Ronaldo isn't in the same bracket as Maradona and Messi.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #467 on: February 8, 2016, 10:38:08 am »

You're talking about his influence, playing wise he falls behind Messi Maradona and Pele imo, not as if i saw the majority of them play though, but theres a host of great footballers who would fall behind those three, while being arguably nearly as good, Cruyff is one, Platini another as is Cristiano.

Offline saoirse08

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • TRUTH. JUSTICE. ACCOUNTABILITY.
« Reply #468 on: February 8, 2016, 03:56:41 pm »
Possibly the best thread title on the site.

The one player who comes close to being compared to Maradona in this era that I have watched, is not Messi. Its Suarez. I am talking about the way they play and their attitude towards football.

Messi scores goals (Maybe compared to Pele). Suarez scores goals with a bit of romanticism attached to it like Maradona.

Maradona was fucking boss. For my money, the best player to ever to lace up a pair footy boots. Had it all. Kicked all over the shop, yet still got up and tore the arses out of the opposition. Modern day comparisons are notoriously futile... However, it's like having Messi's skills allied with Suarez's attitude, gnarliness and absolute will to win. A perfect combination. A proper street footballer. If, as Shanks said, football is ballet for the masses, then Maradona was the Rudolf Nureyev of the game.

Btw, if I could have any player in the history of football at his absolute peak playing for us right now, it would Diego Maradona. You'd still be able to keep that back four and Mignolet too! And to think, he nearly went to Sheffield United.
“The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.”

"The old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: February 8, 2016, 04:01:30 pm »
One of a kind. The best player ever. Before football lost its soul.
Correct me if I'm wrong but was football, especially Italian football not even more corrupt back then?
« Last Edit: February 8, 2016, 04:03:37 pm by 10 years on »

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #470 on: February 8, 2016, 08:17:43 pm »
Kaka - a rapid Lallana

Ronaldo* - A flukey David N'Gog

* the real one not show pony he who fannies about and dives around

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #471 on: February 8, 2016, 08:47:23 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong but was football, especially Italian football not even more corrupt back then?

Oh..weeeelll...It was a more soulful type of corruption.

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: February 8, 2016, 10:46:53 pm »

but that was when we expected Italians to be bent...you don't see anyone going over with 2-0 leads in european competitions and getting turned over 3-0 any more

today's corruption is much more seamless and starts at the entry point to the game
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #473 on: February 8, 2016, 11:33:34 pm »

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #474 on: February 9, 2016, 12:40:32 am »
The ultimate soundtrack to a Maradona video

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sAh3_0sayfg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sAh3_0sayfg</a>

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #475 on: February 9, 2016, 01:58:52 am »
Ronaldo* - A flukey David N'Gog

* the real one not show pony he who fannies about and dives around

Maldini - a reserved Moreno
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #476 on: February 9, 2016, 02:42:08 am »
Love this photo - oh , the irony  ;D

RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #477 on: February 9, 2016, 02:46:21 am »
Seriously though , the best ever for me - or at least that I saw play at the time .

In my favourites along with Kenny, Barnes , Zico and Platini .

Suarez was the closest to Maradona I've seen since for sheer will to win and brilliance .

A wizard from the streets .
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #478 on: February 9, 2016, 03:18:19 pm »
Maradona looks great in those videos, but you could make superb videos for Messi, too. Riding hard tackles? Messi has done it for years, too.

Messi is on a clear decline, and at times, he can push himself to be back at his best, but he cannot do it every game now. He doesn't go past players as easily as he used to, he is becoming more of a passer and finisher. He is still world's best, but watch him 4-5 years ago, he was going past players EVERY game. He was great at everything, and he did it consistently.

One last thing, those who think tackling and defending was better back in those days should just watch 4-5 games in a row from that era. Say 4-5 league matches of Napoli back to back. That may change your opinion on modern vs past football.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #479 on: February 9, 2016, 03:55:52 pm »
Riding hard tackles? Messi has done it for years, too.

Not those sort of tackles.  Agree that tackling is completely different now and defenders are way more considered and diligent - back then they just used to fly straight in.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.