Author Topic: In our defence.....  (Read 3171 times)

Offline arisesirrafa

• Anny Roader
In our defence.....
« on: January 1, 2007, 04:13:43 pm »
I just wanted to create a thread giving special praise to our defence.  Watching the game against Bolton today really brought it home to me.  As a unit, there is no better defence in the country.  They are generally in a perfect line and cover each other's positions brilliantly. 

Reina takes some stick, but it is no coincidence that he has been in goal for our record-breaking defensive run last season and a run of 10 clean sheets in 11 (and counting) this year.  He occasionally flaps at crosses, but i can't think of any other problem with him.  He is decisive and that is the best quality a goalkeeper can have.  He doesn't have a great deal to do behind our back 4 but can generally be relied upon to make a save when needed.  And he's still got 10/15 years ahead of him.

Finnan is under-rated and continues to get in some quality crosses.  He is a bit suspect to deep high balls but is one of the best right full backs in Europe.  Very rarely gives the ball away, and is not prone to daft challenges like a lot of defenders.

Carra.  Legend.  Had a bit of a dodgy spell earlier this season, but has returned to supreme form.  Outstanding at Spurs, he was solid again today and deserves unbelievable credit for turning himself from a good utility player into a world class centre back.  He loves the club, loves the fans and we love him back.  Top notch, and a more than able vice-captain.

Hyypia.  The best buy Houllier made by a distance.  Before he came, we use to fear crosses and high balls into the box and i think a lot of fans take his outstanding positional sense and reading of the game for granted.  Comfortably in our top 5 centre halves of all time and has chipped in with a few crucial goals over the years as well.  Another thing to note is his professionalism.....you've never heard him complain about being left out of the side and he looks as good now (superb against Bolton today) as he ever did.

Agger.  A lot's been said about him already, and it looks as though he could be a mainstay of our back 4 for the next 10 years.  Fantastic composure for a kid of his age, very good on the ball, brings it out of defence (a quality we've not had for 20 years) and can ping one from 25 yards as well.  If he can develop as good an understanding with Carra as Sami has over the last 3 years, he's going to be a revelation.

Riise.  Yet another who is taken for granted by some.  He has his faults (slightly too partial to a long ball down the channnel and gets sucked into the middle too much), but he's solid in the tackle, good in the air and has a goalscoring record better than most full backs.  One of the sweetest left foots we've ever had at the club and, again, a tremendous professional.  There are better left backs in the Prem (Heinze especially), but there would be so many takers for Riise if we decided to sell.  Oh, and the successor to Didi in terms of picking up the scouse accent!!!

Honourable mentions go to the guys that fill in (Jerzy, Palletta, Warnock, Aurelio), but those five are the cornerstone of the best defence in the country.  Rafa has them drilled like a machine, and they've conceded just 3 goals at home in the league this season.  In fact, of those 3, Zamora's was a freak and Agbonlahor's was a consolation.  Take a bow boys, and let's keep it tight in 2007.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later." Bob Paisley

Offline rhylred

• Here, There and Everywhere Bar Hull City.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: In our defence.....
« Reply #1 on: January 1, 2007, 04:20:33 pm »
great thread mate,thought carra + sami were immense today,+ if finnan's shot had of gone in,would jumped out of me seat in the upper anny straight onto the pitch,he's in the jimmy case mold for me, hardly ever has a bad game!!!

Offline jamo84

• Anny Roader
  • above us only sky
« Reply #2 on: January 1, 2007, 04:24:01 pm »
very good nice  2 see people notice the hard work put in
<<<<< BIH >>>>>Bring Igor Home

Offline Fred Madison

• Jazz saxophonist, now masquerading as a mechanic after probably murdering his wife.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 1, 2007, 04:25:48 pm »
Sami was fuckin' immense.

Offline ratcatcher

• Glass is often half-empty...and it's all Parry's fault
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: January 1, 2007, 04:29:50 pm »
Sami and Jay were very impressive today.  Just why some players, Alonso in particular, kept giving it to Sami to play it forward however had me scratching my head
These are my own opinions. They are not meant or intended as a criticism of anyone else's opinion just because they are different but if you can't see past that, then tough shit!

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #5 on: January 1, 2007, 04:36:01 pm »
I think Pepe Reina deserves credit he took a lot of stick on here myself included after the reverse fixture at the Reebok. His performances have been phenomenal over the last couple of months.

Steve Finnan is the best right and one of the most underrated players in the Premiership.

John Arne Riise I've questioned his positional sense at times but he scores some fantastic goals, there are few better left backs in the league and our clean sheet record when he plays suggest he's an integral part of our defence.

Carra like Finnan one of the most underrated players in the division and a fantastic centre back.

Sami Hyypia GH's best signing, a fantastic servant to LFC and its a crying shame that he can't play twice in a week any more.

Agger he's been hailed as the next Alan Hansen, scored a couple of thunderbolts and has slotted into our defence exceptionally well this season.

Offline Fred Madison

• Jazz saxophonist, now masquerading as a mechanic after probably murdering his wife.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 1, 2007, 04:38:21 pm »
He would've fully deserved that goal, Sami. Shame his header was saved.

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 1, 2007, 04:42:27 pm »
the defence have been back to their imperious best in recent weeks coinciding with our winning run, even including the blackburn game where they barely had a sniff but mugged us.

Pepe is the best 'keepersweeper' around and has made some outstanding saves when called upon. He's also started moves with his vision, quick-thinking and pinpoint accuracy of his throw-outs which have led to chances/goals.
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #8 on: January 1, 2007, 05:30:29 pm »
Credit Rafa too.

The organisation is fantastic. Everytime Bolton played the ball forward today they were suffocated didn't matter what they tried to do they barely got to our 18 yard line.

Reina must be the quickest keeper off his line in the world

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #9 on: January 1, 2007, 06:06:07 pm »
Credit Rafa too.

The organisation is fantastic. Everytime Bolton played the ball forward today they were suffocated didn't matter what they tried to do they barely got to our 18 yard line.

Reina must be the quickest keeper off his line in the world

i agree we are looking very well drilled and whether Hyypia or Agger play everyone is well organised.

looking good, winning the last two games is great for the confidence, just need to keep it up now

Offline Duffer

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: January 1, 2007, 06:10:51 pm »
Yep they played well, however I thought Samis passing was off today

Offline arisesirrafa

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 06:26:10 pm »
Yes, i know....a shameless bumping of my own thread  ;D

But Mr Arbeloa can now definitely be added to the list of outstanding defenders we have at the club.  He's slotted in superbly, and without wanting to give him praise too early (Kvarme and Josemi come to mind) he looks like an excellent signing - especially because he can play LB as well.  Solid in defence, comfortable on the ball, has linked really well with Pennant and loves to get in the box/to the byline.

When i started the thread on Jan 1, we had conceded just 3 goals at home in the league.  A full 3 and half months later, and that figure is still only 5.  In our last 8 games overall, we've kept 6 clean sheets and the only games we did concede in, we won anyway (Reading and Arse).  This outstanding defensive record extends back to the start of last season, since when we have kept 60 clean sheets in 114 games (33/62 last season and 27/52 this).  Absolutely top class.  Well done lads.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later." Bob Paisley

Offline rogermoore

• rush hour bus shuffler
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fancy a game you non-bamboo eating gimp?
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 06:38:14 pm »
Silly question if you ask me but still I am going to ask it.

Can Rafa get us to attack as well as he has got us defending?

Offline arisesirrafa

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 06:45:16 pm »
Silly question if you ask me but still I am going to ask it.

Can Rafa get us to attack as well as he has got us defending?

I don't think so, but the great thing is that he doesn't have to.  If our attack was as good as our defence, we'd be the best side ever.  All it needs is a touch more creativity from the midfield away from home and we'll be a title-winning team.

Offline Emo Phillips

• Master of his domain. Enjoyed a young girl's strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk. Resident of MILF Island.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 07:15:46 pm »
I don't think so, but the great thing is that he doesn't have to.  If our attack was as good as our defence, we'd be the best side ever.  All it needs is a touch more creativity from the midfield away from home and we'll be a title-winning team.

Fucking brilliant point. Kudos, sir.

If you keep a clean sheet every week you just need to score one. Yes, we can improve our attacking play, and Rafa will be looking to. But it doesn't have to be the best ever if we keep it tight at the back.
KRAMER: "I'm at 1st and 1st. Wait a minute, how can a street intersect into itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe!"

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 08:59:54 pm »
I agree, Arbeloa looks promising. He made his way forward brilliantly today and with Agger liking to bring the ball out we could have a completely different style of defence next season.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 09:14:27 pm »
It does go to show what an immense manager Rafa is though,

I'm not Ged knocker, I still have amazing memories under the little french man. But, Hyypia was his best contribution to our defense, and yes it was brilliant.

Rafa though, deputises Carra in a centre-mid role; and how that has turned out. Finnan on the brink of an exit, now unchallenged for 2 seasons; But wait a minute, Arbeloa? What a fucking signing that is turning out to be! Agger; I don't really need to say a word about that lad.

Paletta still has a lot to prove, but he's got all the time in the world at his age. And, what a fucking shame the injuries to Aurelio have been, because he's another belter. Not got the same amount of years left in the tank, but still a shame.

We're getting there.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 09:23:29 pm »
When you think that our defence next season could have Arbeloa/Finnan, Agger and Aurelio in it, you've got to smile. The general improvement on 'footballers' - not just defenders - at the back has been great to see. If Rafa can just convince Carragher that a 5 yard pass to either fullback or Agger is usually more beneficial than the "head up, knock it long into the channels" approach then our distribution from the back next season should be unrivalled within the league.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society