Author Topic: Liverpool v Porto (CL ) - Wed 24 Nov 8pm - Pre Match Thread  (Read 20503 times)

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool v Porto (CL ) - Wed 24 Nov 8pm - Pre Match Thread
« Reply #160 on: November 24, 2021, 07:04:57 am »
He'll rotate the entire first team squad I'm pretty sure - he's just not going to send out Tyler Morton to captain a load of lads who look even younger than him.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #161 on: November 24, 2021, 07:07:16 am »
Honest question …

What is the difference between (1) Player A plays today vs Porto, gets injured and misses 2 months versus (2) Player A does not play vs Porto, plays on Sat vs Southampton, gets injured and misses 2 months?
Well in purely mathematical terms, there's a 0% chance of getting injured during a game you don't play in?
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: November 24, 2021, 07:25:12 am »
To me getting injured whether in a relevant game, a meaningless game, by your own team mate in the training ground or a freak injury at home - they’re all the same. We will still be missing the player for a period of time
They're not all the same, and I think you're confusing outcomes with intentions.

When you play a competitive match, there is something at stake and the intention is to win. The risk is worth the reward.

When you have a training session, the intention is to get fit and sharp, and practice routines. There aren't 11 opposition players kicking you around the pitch, and if you feel fatigued you can take a rest. There are lots of factors you can control.

In a meaningless game you are creating risks you don't need to - especially in a game the opposition needs to win. We're not talking a preseason friendly here, and there are many factors outside our control in terms of how Porto approach the game.

As for the freak injury at home, that's not even a logical comparison. That's like saying you might as well risk every player as they could fall down the stairs tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 07:30:14 am by keyop »

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: November 24, 2021, 07:53:40 am »

Someone needs to run a probability workshop. Even if we accept that the risk of injury is the same in all games, then the more games you play the greater the chance of getting injured.

Given there is nothing to be gained from winning the game tonight there is no point taking a risk. Sure, if there are two or three starters who need minutes then there is sufficient reward in playing them for greater performance in the games that count.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #164 on: November 24, 2021, 08:01:48 am »
Milner tweeting about being back and ready for Porto. Will be good to have him alongside Morton.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #165 on: November 24, 2021, 08:23:20 am »
I suggest you listen to Jurgens prematch presser when asked about Jota and him getting injured in a dead rubber CL match last season.

Let's just say, Jurgen thought it was a stupid question.

About 13:49 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr9EapUm518

Klopp does get push back on this because he's always talking about too many games and too much football and demands on players (rightly so). Or having to play on the Saturday after playing CL Wednesday night.

By qualifying early we can do ourselves a favour.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #166 on: November 24, 2021, 08:52:52 am »
For those who want regulars nowhere near this line up, what would your teams be? Traditionally this sort of game would be nailed on for Origi and Minamino for example. Would you still start them both (if Div is fit), or could you argue we’ll need them soon enough so you don’t risk them either? Where do you draw the line?

I think we’ll still see some regular faces, maybe with a few pre-planned subs.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #167 on: November 24, 2021, 08:56:08 am »
I would be very surprised to see any of Alisson, Trent, VVD, Fab, Salah or Mané play tonight. There is no point. Yes players can get injured at any time but in a game that doesn’t matter ,often players will not fully commit to tackles and often come off second best and sustain an injury.

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: November 24, 2021, 09:08:39 am »
I would play a shrewsbury team but that aint going to happen judging by the vibes.
No time for caution.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: November 24, 2021, 09:14:00 am »
Klopp does get push back on this because he's always talking about too many games and too much football and demands on players (rightly so). Or having to play on the Saturday after playing CL Wednesday night.

By qualifying early we can do ourselves a favour.
I don't think he objects to the PL and CL games, although I'm pretty sure given the chance he'd vote to knock the PL down to 34 and would oppose any increase to CL games.

I think he struggles more with the timing of games, particularly around internationals and european games, the amount of internationals, and also the fact we have 2 domestic cups, one with a 2 leg semi final that coincides with the crazy December schedule which I don't think he's a fan of.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #170 on: November 24, 2021, 09:22:41 am »
I don't think he objects to the PL and CL games, although I'm pretty sure given the chance he'd vote to knock the PL down to 34 and would oppose any increase to CL games.

I think he struggles more with the timing of games, particularly around internationals and european games, the amount of internationals, and also the fact we have 2 domestic cups, one with a 2 leg semi final that coincides with the crazy December schedule which I don't think he's a fan of.

Its odd that people don't get this.

We've also got a few injuries to squad players, which unfortunately means we'll probably have to play a few more 'first choice' than we'd like. People expecting us to lob the U18s into games against Porto and then at the San Siro really are daft. It'd be like the Villa cup game we lost, but worse.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #171 on: November 24, 2021, 09:47:08 am »
Klopp has already mentioned in the past that the money for each win is too big in the CL to ignore. We ll go full strength and try to win like any other important game.
Just rest Jota, like ;)
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #172 on: November 24, 2021, 09:48:24 am »
Klopp has already mentioned in the past that the money for each win is too big in the CL to ignore. We ll go full strength and try to win like any other important game.
Just rest Jota, like ;)

I'd imagine it'll be something like Kelleher, Neco, Konate, Matip, Tsimikas, Hendo, Morton, Ox, Taki, Origi, Mane.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: November 24, 2021, 09:51:51 am »
With 5 subs we can minimise the risk of injury and also fatigue. I'd go with something like the below with 4 half time subs.

Kelleher

Williams          Konate          Matip          Tsimikas
                                       (van Dijk)

Ox          Henderson          Milner
                              (Fabinho)         (Thiago)

Mane          Origi          Minamino
              (Salah)

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: November 24, 2021, 09:53:12 am »
I would be very surprised to see any of Alisson, Trent, VVD, Fab, Salah or Mané play tonight. There is no point. Yes players can get injured at any time but in a game that doesn’t matter ,often players will not fully commit to tackles and often come off second best and sustain an injury.
Yes - those are the ones to protect plus I'd leave out Robertson and Henderson if they're in contention.

We don't need to play 4-3-3 so could go with a conservative 4-4-2 with Kelleher, Neco, Konate, Phillips, Tsimikas, Ox, Morton, Thiago, Milner (if fit), Minamino, and Origi (if fit).

There's enough in there to field a decent side and respect the competition, give players valuable minutes and experience, have a chance of winning the game, and protect key players. My only worry would be using Thiago, as he will be a key component to keep our midfield ticking in the coming months as others come back from injury

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: November 24, 2021, 09:55:31 am »
Yes - those are the ones to protect plus I'd leave out Robertson and Henderson if they're in contention.

We don't need to play 4-3-3 so could go with a conservative 4-4-2 with Kelleher, Neco, Konate, Phillips, Tsimikas, Ox, Morton, Thiago, Milner (if fit), Minamino, and Origi (if fit).

There's enough in there to field a decent side and respect the competition, give players valuable minutes and experience, have a chance of winning the game, and protect key players. My only worry would be using Thiago, as he will be a key component to keep our midfield ticking in the coming months as others come back from injury

I think Mane should play and maybe Henderson and Robertson get 55-60 and then back to the bench on Saturday, so they keep their match fitness up for Everton the following Wednesday.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #176 on: November 24, 2021, 10:42:35 am »

4-4-2.

Now there's a blast from the past.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #177 on: November 24, 2021, 10:51:55 am »
Milner tweeting about being back and ready for Porto. Will be good to have him alongside Morton.
Yep I’m sure Morton will look after him in there
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: November 24, 2021, 10:55:53 am »
Looking forward to this. Beyond injuries, the pressure is off.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #179 on: November 24, 2021, 10:56:54 am »
That's a lovely OP Stockdam.

Thankyou kind sir.
#JFT97

Offline Heroisdomar

• Anny Roader
« Reply #180 on: November 24, 2021, 11:11:58 am »
LIVERPOOL BROTHERS A REQUEST FROM BENFICA FOR TONIGHT ...........DESTROY !!!!

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #181 on: November 24, 2021, 11:39:18 am »
19:45...we sit by our phones...we seek out the line up...the fume (whatever the First XI) is always an oddity to me.

If the team is relatively strong, you just know there will be a sea of tweets suggesting FSG have forced Klopp's hand.

Hellish stuff.

Online palimpsest

• Kopite
« Reply #182 on: November 24, 2021, 11:40:35 am »
LIVERPOOL BROTHERS A REQUEST FROM BENFICA FOR TONIGHT ...........DESTROY !!!!

;D ;D ;D
I love your posts. I hope we get a result that's to your liking!
We had dreams and songs to sing...

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
« Reply #183 on: November 24, 2021, 11:52:17 am »
I would like to see a strong line up, still a Euro game at Anfield and Porto aren't exactly a small team. It would be good for a few youngsters to get good minutes, and experience of the crowd.
I don't think Jurgens team selections should be dictated by the number of games being played or game congestion, other than extreme situations.
4-1 The Reds tonight

Offline Heroisdomar

• Anny Roader
« Reply #184 on: November 24, 2021, 11:53:12 am »
;D ;D ;D
I love your posts. I hope we get a result that's to your liking!

FC Scums entire Board this week have been summoned on corruption, Tax evasion, traffic of influence and god knows what else charges LIVERPOOL ANY CHANCE OF A 9 OR 10 NIL WIN ??? PLEASE FOR OLD TIME SAKE ??? PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE >>> I will be wearing my retro LFC shirt tonight and shouting at the TV as I did yesterday COME ON YOU MIGHTY REDS !!!! 6 million in Portugal are counting on you !!!

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: November 24, 2021, 11:55:51 am »
We just don't need to take any risks with player selection tonight. We are a bit thin as it is. We have some good options in defence but outside of that i'd rather play the likes of Morton, Gordon Taki etc

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #186 on: November 24, 2021, 11:55:53 am »
For those who want regulars nowhere near this line up, what would your teams be?

For me I think a team something like the below would be reasonable

Kelleher

Williams
Konate
Phillips
Tsimikas

Morton
Thiago
Milner

Minamino
Origi
Mane/Salah/Jota

The above gives a fair amount of rotation and allows Alisson, VvD, Matip, TAA, Robertson, Fabinho, Henderson, AoC and 2 of Mane/Salah/Jota to get some rest (i.e. not start the game). I think there's some justification to play Thiago and get 60-70 mins under his belt. He's hardly played so getting game time might do him good. I think Henderson/Robertson could do last 20-30 mins to keep them ticking over. I think AoC deserves to start against Southampton so I'd use him off the bench to rotate either Milner or the one 1st choice forward who starts.

In the starting XI I wouldn't expect Thiago, Tsimikas, Milner and Salah/Jota/Mane to complete 90 minutes. I think we'll use the 5 subs and the bench will primarily be the 1st team players not starting and maybe the odd under 23 player.

We might get injuries with the above team. That's always a risk to some degree. But we'd be taking most of the key players out of the firing line. I think the above team (or something similar) strikes the balance between trying to win (money and sporting integrity wise) and protecting key players. Playing an U23 team is not realistic IMO.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #187 on: November 24, 2021, 11:58:01 am »
We just don't need to take any risks with player selection tonight. We are a bit thin as it is. We have some good options in defence but outside of that i'd rather play the likes of Morton, Gordon Taki etc

Kaide Gordon isn't eligible to play. I actually think he'd have a reasonable chance of getting on the pitch tonight if he was registered as a List A player.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #188 on: November 24, 2021, 12:16:53 pm »
Naby still wonky?

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: November 24, 2021, 12:29:47 pm »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #190 on: November 24, 2021, 01:26:26 pm »
For me I think a team something like the below would be reasonable

Kelleher

Williams
Konate
Phillips
Tsimikas

Morton
Thiago
Milner

Minamino
Origi
Mane/Salah/Jota

The above gives a fair amount of rotation and allows Alisson, VvD, Matip, TAA, Robertson, Fabinho, Henderson, AoC and 2 of Mane/Salah/Jota to get some rest (i.e. not start the game). I think there's some justification to play Thiago and get 60-70 mins under his belt. He's hardly played so getting game time might do him good. I think Henderson/Robertson could do last 20-30 mins to keep them ticking over. I think AoC deserves to start against Southampton so I'd use him off the bench to rotate either Milner or the one 1st choice forward who starts.

In the starting XI I wouldn't expect Thiago, Tsimikas, Milner and Salah/Jota/Mane to complete 90 minutes. I think we'll use the 5 subs and the bench will primarily be the 1st team players not starting and maybe the odd under 23 player.

We might get injuries with the above team. That's always a risk to some degree. But we'd be taking most of the key players out of the firing line. I think the above team (or something similar) strikes the balance between trying to win (money and sporting integrity wise) and protecting key players. Playing an U23 team is not realistic IMO.

That’s fair. I reckon we’ll see something ok those lines too.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: November 24, 2021, 02:09:01 pm »
Well in purely mathematical terms, there's a 0% chance of getting injured during a game you don't play in?

sure you can - depends on what you're doing while watching.  :)

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: November 24, 2021, 02:14:43 pm »
all this back-and-forth about the lineup and injury risk ....

it'd be interesting to see the reaction if Taki plays and gets injured tonight.  you can count on a whole lot of "wtf was Klopp thinking - what will we do during AFCON!!??"

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: November 24, 2021, 02:16:44 pm »
I know I'm in a minority here but I want us to go as strong as possible and twat them.

I'd go:

Allison

Trent Matip Konate Tsimikas

Ox Fabinho Morton

Salah Origi Mane

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: November 24, 2021, 02:26:05 pm »
Great stuff Stockdam, good man.

Looking forward to this.

Online S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #195 on: November 24, 2021, 02:33:25 pm »
I know I'm in a minority here but I want us to go as strong as possible and twat them.

I'd go:

Allison

Ox Fabinho Morton

Salah Origi Mane
The team will be something like this. I think we should rest as much as possible though.

Online S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #196 on: November 24, 2021, 02:41:40 pm »
Fuck off with your maths.

Hope I win the next Euromillions. I haven’t entered but I still fancy my chances.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: November 24, 2021, 02:58:00 pm »

FC Scums entire Board this week have been summoned on corruption, Tax evasion, traffic of influence and god knows what else charges LIVERPOOL ANY CHANCE OF A 9 OR 10 NIL WIN ??? PLEASE FOR OLD TIME SAKE ??? PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE >>> I will be wearing my retro LFC shirt tonight and shouting at the TV as I did yesterday COME ON YOU MIGHTY REDS !!!! 6 million in Portugal are counting on you !!!

Our youth team has just beaten theirs 4-0, hopefully the first team will get at least the same amount ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Heroisdomar

• Anny Roader
« Reply #198 on: November 24, 2021, 03:02:52 pm »
Our youth team has just beaten theirs 4-0, hopefully the first team will get at least the same amount ;D

I dream of double figures (he says with an evil grin!!) just TWAT them !!!

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: November 24, 2021, 03:50:00 pm »

I'd go:

Allison

Ox Fabinho Morton

Salah Origi Mane

Yeah I see something similar, except maybe Minamino for Salah and Milner for Fabinho