Author Topic: Blu-ray Thread  (Read 43009 times)

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
Re: Blu-ray Thread
« Reply #560 on: February 9, 2010, 03:01:05 pm »
I'm not sure if I would notice the difference between normal DVD or Blue ray quality

Are you Stevie Wonder in disguise?

There is a huge difference in quality between DVD and BluRay.

The blacks are blacker and the whites are whiter!

Bob.
They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #561 on: February 9, 2010, 03:28:36 pm »
I'm not sure if I would notice the difference between normal DVD or Blue ray quality.
Is it really so much better, or is it a bit of clever marketing ?
Also quite clever to come up with that in the download era, the files are really big.
I saw Spiderman on the bay, it was a 7.24 GB download.

Did you notice the difference between VCR and DVD?
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #562 on: May 15, 2010, 11:10:13 am »
Got Avatar, Saving Private Ryan and Pitch Black recently.  Not watched Pitch Black yet but the other two were ace.
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline Gigantic Lamb

• Seeks huge jar of mint sauce for quiet nights in. I need to think of a really really long Custom title. As long as possible... Any ideas PM me....I dont even like mint sauce....Whats your sauce? I am Saucy ........are you?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #563 on: May 15, 2010, 05:36:20 pm »
Got Avatar, Saving Private Ryan and Pitch Black recently.  Not watched Pitch Black yet but the other two were ace.

Pitch Black is fairly shite compared to the two others...
European Cups are like houses - Ultimately it's better to own than to rent.

http://twitter.com/giganticlamb

☆☆☆☆☆

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #564 on: May 15, 2010, 06:06:02 pm »
I think it's reasonable sometimes to say that someone may not be able to tell the difference, but it only depends on the Bluray you are watching.
I bought Superman Returns on Blu and to be honest, the picture is no better than an upscaled DVD.

Wheras something like Zodiac, or Avatar, it's light years ahead of watching a DVD and noticably different.

Got Minority Report this morning, steelbook, so going to stick that on later. The DTS should be a bit nifty too!  :)
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Rob K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #565 on: May 15, 2010, 07:12:22 pm »
Pitch Black is fairly shite compared to the two others...

Is there noticeable difference in quality over the dvd though? 

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #566 on: May 25, 2010, 10:04:54 pm »
Donnie Darko, 19th July  8)

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #567 on: May 25, 2010, 10:39:03 pm »
Anyone know when Pacific is out on Blu Ray?
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #568 on: June 22, 2010, 12:09:26 pm »
Some great new releases coming out soon.

The Wicker Man, Psycho, Forbidden Planet, Seven & The Exorcist.

8)

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #569 on: June 22, 2010, 12:29:22 pm »
Some great new releases coming out soon.

The Wicker Man, Psycho, Forbidden Planet, Seven & The Exorcist.

8)

Se7en! Awesome. Must buy BD

Donnie Darko! Awesome. Must buy BD
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #570 on: June 22, 2010, 01:02:15 pm »
Kind Hearts and Coronets (aka One of the Greatest Films Ever and If You Disagree You Are Clearly Brain Damaged) is out soon too.

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #571 on: June 22, 2010, 01:13:33 pm »
Kind Hearts and Coronets (aka One of the Greatest Films Ever and If You Disagree You Are Clearly Brain Damaged) is out soon too.

I disagree
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

Offline Scottish-Don

• Maggie May, Kez, Kopbird, LFCMunkee and gerrardspetal in any order
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'Cause he's a dedicated follower of fashion
« Reply #572 on: June 22, 2010, 01:16:07 pm »
Just watched the latest South Park on Blu-Ray, Stunning
Follow me on Twitter - @achtung_davie

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #573 on: July 1, 2010, 11:05:57 pm »
Anyone know when Pacific is out on Blu Ray?
1st of November.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #574 on: July 1, 2010, 11:24:52 pm »
American Beauty is the one I'm impatiently waiting for.

10th anniversary this year, thought we would have seen it by now.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Disc_Announcements___/Paramount/American_Beauty_Blu-ray_Announced_in_Canada/4926

September 21st in Canada...? So what date here?

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
« Reply #575 on: October 19, 2010, 12:06:56 am »
BUMP!

Seeing as I'm about to get my first HD telly and Blu-Ray player I've suddenly taken quite an interest in this thread. I'm actually pretty stupidly excited about getting some things in BD.

Just noticed some classics on Play.com for very little cash, like The Thing and Enter The Dragon, both of which are less than £9 each, so they'll be among the first to be bought.

Alien boxset and BTTF boxset coming out next week as well. Christ, I'm going to be penniless.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #576 on: October 19, 2010, 12:38:57 am »
I watched 'The Thing' and 'Seven' (if you put the number in the middle then you are a spanner) in Blu over the weekend, both fucking brilliant. Seven looks absolutely gorgeous and I'd forgotten how good it was, I'd sort of dismissed it as just a police procedural but there are a million things going on under the surface and it's surprisingly funny. It's also Morgan Freeman's best performance by a long shot, yes even better than Dreamcatcher.

'The Thing' is still in my top ten films of all time, a work of twisted genius, still terrifying/disturbing (chilling?) and some of the best sfx of all time.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #577 on: October 19, 2010, 02:43:01 am »
Nice one. Haven't seen Donnie Darko in awhile and in blue ray would be good.
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
« Reply #578 on: October 19, 2010, 11:08:52 am »
I watched 'The Thing' and 'Seven' (if you put the number in the middle then you are a spanner) in Blu over the weekend, both fucking brilliant. Seven looks absolutely gorgeous and I'd forgotten how good it was, I'd sort of dismissed it as just a police procedural but there are a million things going on under the surface and it's surprisingly funny. It's also Morgan Freeman's best performance by a long shot, yes even better than Dreamcatcher.

'The Thing' is still in my top ten films of all time, a work of twisted genius, still terrifying/disturbing (chilling?) and some of the best sfx of all time.

The Thing IS my favourite movie of all time. It's fucking perfect in every way, and the SFX still blows me away no matter how many times I've seen it before. It's untouchable for its time, Rob Bottin is the master. Just the whole scene with the head turning in to the 'spider', absolutely perfect, and I can't get over how incredible it is each time I see it.

Carpenter creates the absolute perfect mood for the film and it's supremely paced. Just a wonderful movie which I'll never ever grow tired of watching over and over again. Will definitely be my first BD purchase.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #579 on: May 14, 2011, 07:00:24 pm »
Been a while since this has been bumped.

My contribution - coming soon: Platoon (May 16th), The Stanley Kubrick Collection - which includes Barry Lydon, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, 2001 & Lolita (23rd May, £44 on Amazon which sounds reasonable to me) and, finally, Taxi Driver & 127 hours. Tendons, blood and gore in full HD. Win.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #580 on: May 14, 2011, 07:06:38 pm »
All Attenborough

Planet Earth
Life
Natures Great Events

Picked up Terminator:Salvation, quite good on Blu-Ray

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #581 on: May 14, 2011, 07:39:18 pm »
Am I right in thinking the Extended Editions for Lord of the Rings is coming out for the first time on Blu Ray next month?

The versions on HMV for pre order say that there're 26hrs of extras, which makes me wonder if the extended films have been released previously without those extras (there're 15 blu rays or something silly like that in this box set, which sounds like a special edition)?

If this is the first time they're coming on BR with the extended editions, what took them so long?!

I haven't watched any of these films properly yet for some reason, so have been waiting for these extended versions to come out for ages. Will have a bit more free time in a few weeks and was looking to buy them, only to see they don't come out until the end of next month?!

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Cragsi

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #582 on: May 14, 2011, 07:49:53 pm »
Am I right in thinking the Extended Editions for Lord of the Rings is coming out for the first time on Blu Ray next month?

The versions on HMV for pre order say that there're 26hrs of extras, which makes me wonder if the extended films have been released previously without those extras (there're 15 blu rays or something silly like that in this box set, which sounds like a special edition)?

If this is the first time they're coming on BR with the extended editions, what took them so long?!

I haven't watched any of these films properly yet for some reason, so have been waiting for these extended versions to come out for ages. Will have a bit more free time in a few weeks and was looking to buy them, only to see they don't come out until the end of next month?!

The LotR trilogy that was released not so long ago on BD was the theatrical version. So its safe to say it will be the extended version thats out soon.
Riding through dust clouds and barren wastes
Galloping hard on the plains
Chasing the redskins back to their holes
Fighting them at their own game
Murder for freedom a stab in the back
Women and children and cowards attaaaaaack...

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #583 on: May 14, 2011, 07:59:50 pm »
Extended version of LOTR? the originals were long enough as they were!

Offline Rob K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #584 on: May 14, 2011, 08:08:23 pm »
I got the Extended LOTR and the Star Wars saga on pre-order. 

Still trying to decide whether to go for the basic Scarface blu-ray or the special edition 45 quid version which comes in a Cigar box with loads of extra stuff. :D

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #585 on: May 14, 2011, 08:14:10 pm »
Apocalypse Now and Point Break also released in the next couple of months 8)
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #586 on: May 14, 2011, 08:14:38 pm »
Pre ordered LOTR. Looking around on hidefdigest it seems as though the current Blu Ray trilogy isn't so great (especially the print of the first film). This new one has it remastered as well as all the extended versions and extras.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #587 on: May 15, 2011, 03:09:14 am »
Just ordered The Good, The Bad, and the Weird & Apocalypto for £5 each on Play.com

Coincidentally they've also got a 2 for £12 sale going on for Blu-Rays and there's some pretty decent stuff involved in that too.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #588 on: May 15, 2011, 12:19:21 pm »
I bought 'V For Vendetta', 'The City of Life And Death', and 'The Devils Backbone' all on Blu-ray recently.

Some good prices on them just now.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #589 on: May 15, 2011, 08:21:54 pm »
I have American Beauty on Blu-Ray - superb. Such a visually exciting films at times. Looks brilliant.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #590 on: May 7, 2021, 01:52:49 am »
Doesn't seem to be an ideal thread to bump, so I'm going to take a punt on this one...

Has anyone experienced any issues playing Blu-Ray discs on particular TVs/players?  I've a Sony Bravia TV and I'm using a PS4 - I've watched from Blu-Ray discs on the last two evenings, but have just gone to watch something else and the disc menu doesn't seem to load.  The PS4 menu recognised the disc, and indeed knows what it is and shows the relevant graphics/logos, but I get nothing but a black screen when I click though to the disc.

Anyone encountered this or have any ideas how to resolve this?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #591 on: May 7, 2021, 01:58:32 am »
HD will win out.