Author Topic: Dune ( 2021 Film)  (Read 13081 times)

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Dune ( 2021 Film)
« Reply #160 on: March 4, 2024, 05:06:31 pm »
Chalamet turned it up a notch in this one compared to the first, the intensity in him was scary at times.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #161 on: March 4, 2024, 05:16:37 pm »
Chalamet turned it up a notch in this one compared to the first, the intensity in him was scary at times.
Thought so too. He was excellent.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #162 on: March 5, 2024, 09:07:56 am »
Dune 2:
Spoiler
Was the death of Feyd in the duel, supposed to be what he had learnt from Gurney in training? When he told him to look down, and you would have joined me in death. Or am I reading too much into that?
[close]

You are. The movie isn't like the book.

Spoiler
Paul absolutely bodies Feyd in the book
[close]

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #163 on: March 5, 2024, 09:11:34 am »
Missed out on seeing this on the weekend on a smaller screen at my local due to Covid.

Has anybody see it on iMax? Is it worth the extra expense over one of the big cinema screens?
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #164 on: March 5, 2024, 09:12:13 am »

Spoiler
He brings it throughout but the one scene where he comes into the temple and becomes Maud'dib is electrifying
[close]

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: March 5, 2024, 09:15:33 am »
Missed out on seeing this on the weekend on a smaller screen at my local due to Covid.

Has anybody see it on iMax? Is it worth the extra expense over one of the big cinema screens?

My first viewing was in IMAX, I've seen it few days later in a good, normal cinema.
Major difference I would say was actually the sound. My dear sweaty baby Jesus, the sound in IMAX gave me chills.
Image is definitely better, bigger and more impressive in many, many already incredibly impressive scenes - but the sound just elevates everything.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: March 5, 2024, 09:16:36 am »
Spoiler
He brings it throughout but the one scene where he comes into the temple and becomes Maud'dib is electrifying
[close]

Oh yes, that scene was postively brutal.
Overall his performance across both movies has been incredible.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: March 5, 2024, 09:34:18 am »

Go for IMAX.

Incredible viewing.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: March 5, 2024, 10:17:40 am »
Thanks Zlen & AndyMuller. IMAX it is then.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #169 on: March 6, 2024, 01:10:03 pm »
Has anyone ever found any decent reason as to WHY they didn't even try and release an IMAX version on 4k bluray?

The difference between the two is mental, and when you have the likes of Nolan releasing his stuff with the IMAX scenes left in etc, why did they just not even bother with this?

OR are they waiting for a two movie release in the future? I find if mad they didn't even attempt to release it for home as the IMAX version.  :(
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: March 6, 2024, 02:29:36 pm »
just read this shite.

https://www.vox.com/2024/3/1/24087053/dune-2-timothee-chalamet-worms-denis-villeneuve?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-gb

"It’s also a pretty clear allegory to the Middle East: Spice is a rare substance that sustains modern life and facilitates empire-wide commerce and travel, so that’s pretty clearly oil. And so much about the Fremen seems to be designed to evoke desert nomads — and some of the most simplistic stereotypes about Arabs. At its worst, it’s Dances With Worms. All of this should, and in many cases does, make fans uncomfortable."

anyone else feel uncomfortable? such shite. what passes for journalism these days? maybe it was AI

i enjoyed the movie. didnt get boring in spite of its length

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: March 6, 2024, 03:05:23 pm »
just read this shite.

https://www.vox.com/2024/3/1/24087053/dune-2-timothee-chalamet-worms-denis-villeneuve?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-gb

"It’s also a pretty clear allegory to the Middle East: Spice is a rare substance that sustains modern life and facilitates empire-wide commerce and travel, so that’s pretty clearly oil. And so much about the Fremen seems to be designed to evoke desert nomads — and some of the most simplistic stereotypes about Arabs. At its worst, it’s Dances With Worms. All of this should, and in many cases does, make fans uncomfortable."

anyone else feel uncomfortable? such shite. what passes for journalism these days? maybe it was AI

i enjoyed the movie. didnt get boring in spite of its length
there are some seriously ignorant people setting out some hilariously stupid points like this about Dune, with the self assurance and confidence that is only afforded the simple minded.

someone the other day commented that you could see the story was an allegory about the iraq war! ;D

also find it sort of ironic that that author has erased the Berbers (Amazigh), and chosen instead to refer to them by their colonisers (the Arabs)

pretty monumental fail, given they are trying to talk down the decency and credentials of the people who adapted the book. not to mention that they boiled down middle eastern culture to 'there's oil and deserts'!
« Last Edit: March 6, 2024, 03:08:13 pm by classycarra »

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: March 6, 2024, 05:35:19 pm »
Just watched part 2, I've never read the books but it was one of the best movies I've ever seen. Was busting to use the toilet for half of it (the fuckers closed them for cleaning when I went during the trailers) but literally couldn't find a moment in the film that seemed okay to miss. Every aspect was extremely well done but the audio was incredible, and I only missed one line of dialogue because of bassy music playing over it.

A couple of details of the story are a bit lost on me still, but I don't want to do any research as I'm sure I'll have far too much spoiled for me if I do, so I'll wait until the next one (sounds like it'll be a while) and then go back and do some reading after.

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #173 on: March 7, 2024, 11:24:09 am »
Saw it last night, absolutely blown away with some of the visuals and the score. Genuinely stunning Cinema ... some might find the story a slog at times, but it all comes together and it's a stunning looking movie. Proper event Cinema, much needed and more evidence that the likes of Nolan and Villenueve can do intelligent, HUGE movies that people will go and see.

Far too many dumbed down shite disguised as blockbuster cinema these days, this was stunning.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #174 on: March 9, 2024, 10:59:39 am »
Brilliant movie, great acting, stunning visuals but I still think it could have done with 20 minutes being shaved off.
Also, Part 1 and Part 2 are the first and second half of the book. I would like to see a 3-3.5 hour cut as one movie.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #175 on: March 9, 2024, 11:24:41 pm »
Just got back from seeing it. It’s a stunning film visually and the sound is incredible, some wonderful acting performances. Absolutely worth seeing at the cinema, a proper event film made all the better by the movie theatre sound and visual experience.

I enjoyed it but I did much prefer Part 1 (which is one of my favourite films in the last decade and I would rate as a 9 out of 10). I mean they’re constrained in terms of narrative by the source material (which I’ve not read but my other half has) but neither of us found the ending of the film particularly satisfying.

Spoiler
I mean I couldn’t work out why a nomadic people who were essentially the best hand to hand fighters going but who presumably had limited experience of flying spaceships around would suddenly be stealing the emperors fleet and going off for some kind of space dogfight against more experienced and capable armies representing the rest of the empire :lmao Maybe I missed something
[close]

I hear they’re making part three now so it’ll be interesting to see where they go with it next. This one felt closer to a 7.5/10 for me, but I’m probably being harsh in comparing it to the first one which I loved.
« Last Edit: March 9, 2024, 11:26:44 pm by JerseyKloppite »

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #176 on: March 9, 2024, 11:27:21 pm »
I enjoyed it, it does look incredible as well in general.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: March 9, 2024, 11:48:03 pm »
Spoiler
I mean I couldn’t work out why a nomadic people who were essentially the best hand to hand fighters going but who presumably had limited experience of flying spaceships around would suddenly be stealing the emperors fleet and going off for some kind of space dogfight against more experienced and capable armies representing the rest of the empire :lmao Maybe I missed something
[close]
Spoiler
they're following a cult of personality now, and he's convinced the non-fundamentalists (those not already sold on the fate) that needed convincing they have a holy war to fight
[close]
« Last Edit: March 9, 2024, 11:51:21 pm by classycarra »

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #178 on: March 9, 2024, 11:57:57 pm »
Spoiler
they're following a cult of personality now, and he's convinced the non-fundamentalists (those not already sold on the fate) that needed convincing they have a holy war to fight
[close]
Spoiler
I’m not questioning the intentions of the fremen to follow their messiah (the film did feel a bit monty python at times - kept expecting someone to shout out “he’s not the messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!”), I’m questioning the practical wisdom of ordering tens of thousands of people who’ve largely lived in caves for generations, being one with the desert and developing phenomenal ability in hand to hand combat, to hop in some spaceships they’re not familiar with and try to defeat experienced armies in some kind of aerial / naval spaceship combat. Would have made more sense to lure the other houses to the planet surface and use all of the advantages they have in terms of expertise and terrain ;D
[close]
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 12:00:15 am by JerseyKloppite »

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: March 10, 2024, 12:06:26 am »
Spoiler
I’m not questioning the intentions of the fremen to follow their messiah (the film did feel a bit monty python at times - kept expecting someone to shout out “he’s not the messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!”), I’m questioning the practical wisdom of ordering tens of thousands of people who’ve largely lived in caves for generations, being one with the desert and developing phenomenal ability in hand to hand combat, to hop in some spaceships they’re not familiar with and try to defeat experienced armies in some kind of aerial / naval spaceship combat. Would have made more sense to lure the other houses to the planet surface and use all of the advantages they have in terms of expertise and terrain ;D
[close]
Spoiler
ah right yeah fair point! i'd sort of assumed they were off to fight on planets, rather than spacecraft to spacecraft, but i also haven't read the books!
[close]

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #180 on: March 10, 2024, 12:08:17 am »
Spoiler
ah right yeah fair point! i'd sort of assumed they were off to fight on planets, rather than spacecraft to spacecraft, but i also haven't read the books!
[close]

You might well be right, only assumed as they said that the houses were in orbit ;D

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: March 10, 2024, 12:09:51 am »
You might well be right, only assumed as they said that the houses were in orbit ;D
Spoiler
i think you're more likely right!

maybe they're just all in on launching the nukes!
[close]
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 12:12:00 am by classycarra »

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: March 10, 2024, 12:10:37 am »
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
We saw Chani pilot one of those quadcopter things earlier in the movie, I think the Fremen do have pilots, presumably trained on stolen hardware, they just choose not to fight that way as they need to use surprise attacks. Presumably all of the rocket launchers and lasers and such they use are all stolen too.
[close]
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 12:25:07 am by Schmidt »

Offline DarkOfTheManatee

• Anny Roader
« Reply #183 on: March 11, 2024, 09:49:00 pm »
Just got back from seeing it. It’s a stunning film visually and the sound is incredible, some wonderful acting performances. Absolutely worth seeing at the cinema, a proper event film made all the better by the movie theatre sound and visual experience.

I enjoyed it but I did much prefer Part 1 (which is one of my favourite films in the last decade and I would rate as a 9 out of 10). I mean they’re constrained in terms of narrative by the source material (which I’ve not read but my other half has) but neither of us found the ending of the film particularly satisfying.

Spoiler
[close]

I hear they’re making part three now so it’ll be interesting to see where they go with it next. This one felt closer to a 7.5/10 for me, but I’m probably being harsh in comparing it to the first one which I loved.

I'd agree with this - I enjoyed it, it was a great cinema experience, and in terms of visuals, acting, production and sound design, atmosphere etc. it's leagues above most blockbusters (I watched Argylle the day before, and dear lord...) Any scene with the Harkonnens was a standout.

But some of the desert scenes felt a little slow, and emotionally it didn't pack much of a punch for me, which was a little disappointing when they had three hours to build things up...

Spoiler
... except when Paul has to betray Chani at the end, which was well done in not being melodramatic or overegged.

I also agree that the ending was too rushed and 'easy' for it to be truly satisfying - the Emperor/Harkonnens' entire army is dispatched without any real trouble at all, and pretty much just down to a full frontal charge with overwhelming force.

You'd think the Emperor and Baron would be pretty good at navigating life-or-death situations in order to get to where they were, but they both go out pretty tamely without seeming to try that hard to turn their situation around. I read the book too long ago to remember if it ends in a similar way, so maybe they were staying faithful to that, but considering they definitely strayed away from the source material elsewhere to make the narrative flow, I feel like they could've done more to inject some jeopardy and tension into Paul's victory. The contrast was maybe more jarring because in the first Dune, the Baron is very formidable and essentially 'wins', so the comedown here is stark.

The fight with Feyd was good, though - sometimes films really get the sound of blows landing spot on, and this was one of them.
[close]

Will definitely re-watch at home to see if being able to focus on smaller details rather than being swept alongside with the sensory bombardment makes me appreciate the film more or less.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: March 12, 2024, 10:51:17 am »
Have to give props to Chalamet. Its early days but maybe he can be the next DiCaprio, who when he started I thought was just going to be eye-candy for the girls but developed into a fantastic actor.

I haven't seen Wonka yet but by all accounts he's good in that too.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: March 12, 2024, 10:56:15 am »
I'm not sure some people should be allowed to watch films. Maybe they'll get it when/if Messiah comes out.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #186 on: March 12, 2024, 02:47:52 pm »
I really liked it - similar tempo to first film. It did feel like one long movie....

The awe of seeing it in the cinema came through, and although I felt I followed it I can't remember if a lot actually happened. That was similar to first but it all felt more impactful. Will need to watch again....the first was excellent but this was definitely a worthy sequel
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #187 on: March 13, 2024, 01:32:03 pm »
Have to give props to Chalamet. Its early days but maybe he can be the next DiCaprio, who when he started I thought was just going to be eye-candy for the girls but developed into a fantastic actor.

He's fantastic in The King on Netflix.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: March 13, 2024, 02:13:06 pm »
I really liked it - similar tempo to first film. It did feel like one long movie....

Yeah, not often you see a sequel continue exactly where the original left off.

Was great to see and I loved that about it.  No mysterious new characters just showing out of the blue up or contrived plot devices.  Not read the book but Villeneuve used what he had at his disposal from the first movie.

Obviously new characters were introduced as the movie went along. Thank god, as Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen was an absolutely brilliant character.  Loved him.

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #189 on: March 13, 2024, 04:45:54 pm »
How faithful to the book is Dune 2? I enjoyed Dune 1 and thought they did a good job overall. I read a lot and enjoyed Dune but got a bit tired after messiah and children books.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #190 on: March 13, 2024, 05:34:04 pm »
No mysterious new characters just showing out of the blue up or contrived plot devices.

No though an old character showed up out of the blue with what seemed like a fairly quickly mumbled explanation ;D seemed a bit unlikely though not in a plot breaking way.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #191 on: March 15, 2024, 07:07:19 am »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: March 15, 2024, 07:15:16 am »
How faithful to the book is Dune 2? I enjoyed Dune 1 and thought they did a good job overall. I read a lot and enjoyed Dune but got a bit tired after messiah and children books.

There are more deviations from the book in Pt2 than in Pt1. Part 1 was mostly about ommissions from the book, which are plentiful in 2 as you can’t shove it all in, but there are some changes to streamline the story for the screen. I was mildly irked by some of them on my first viewing, completely forgot about them on the second - so my estimate is they aren’t very important and are mostly done well. Biggest change from the book overall is the more narrow focus on Paul. But I suppose that makes sense.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: March 15, 2024, 11:29:03 am »
No though an old character showed up out of the blue with what seemed like a fairly quickly mumbled explanation ;D seemed a bit unlikely though not in a plot breaking way.

Remind me JK.  Which character was that?

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: March 15, 2024, 11:49:29 am »
Remind me JK.  Which character was that?
Spoiler
guessing that'll be josh brolin's character - the one with the nickname earned from his enjoyment of MDMA on a night out.

no idea how it goes in the book, but it was at least foreshadowed in the first film - 'i recognised your footsteps old man' (nice double meaning since Shai Hulud is old man of the desert and Paul's just met his first worm) - which they repeated it in the second one again
[close]

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: March 15, 2024, 11:58:17 am »
Ah yes. Of course :)

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: March 15, 2024, 11:59:12 am »
Spoiler
How else would they link to the Nukes which was basically the bluff plan for the entire 2nd part of the film!
[close]

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #197 on: March 15, 2024, 12:07:19 pm »
Ah yes. Of course :)

Better be a great big motherfucking worm coming through the void on Outer Range, is all I'm saying...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #198 on: March 15, 2024, 09:12:46 pm »
Great film. Incredible cast. Improved on the first one in my opinion

Offline ValiantInstance

• Main Stander
« Reply #199 on: March 16, 2024, 11:21:49 am »
He's not the Lisan Al Gaib, he's a very naughty boy.