Author Topic: Anyone here play the Guitar?  (Read 118735 times)

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
Re: Anyone here play the Guitar?
« Reply #680 on: April 21, 2013, 01:07:58 am »
I can transpose on ultimate guitar - down the left hand side it has buttons for add to favourites, autoscroll, font size, and then transpose...
Very cool, I never knew that.

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #681 on: April 21, 2013, 02:22:23 am »
I can transpose on ultimate guitar - down the left hand side it has buttons for add to favourites, autoscroll, font size, and then transpose...

:thumbup I'm sure that used to be on the top!
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #682 on: May 2, 2013, 10:31:15 pm »
Getting my first acoustic guitar tomorrow, only a £30 old one from a mate, just to teach myself on before buying my own, newer one.

i've played Saxophone, Drums, now going for the guitar, so any tips for a complete beginner? Never even held a guitar!
« Last Edit: May 2, 2013, 10:37:26 pm by J-Mc- »

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #683 on: May 2, 2013, 10:33:00 pm »
Am i the only one who uses Gp?
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline N-Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #684 on: May 2, 2013, 10:57:05 pm »

I use it as well, gp5 to be specific, haven't really meddled with alternatives.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #685 on: May 3, 2013, 01:57:41 am »

Not at all. For me, I tried getting into guitar since I was little but many times I ended frustrated at my lack of progress. GP opened a door for me, I started learning hard songs and although now (5 years later) I mostly learn by ear, GP was truly the bridge that eased my progress (me being your  easily frustrated guy  ;D )

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #686 on: May 17, 2013, 02:28:08 pm »
Picked up my first acoustic yesterday and have been playing about with it since. Love it.

Gonna have a few free lessons courtesy of a good friend of mine, but in the meantime I'm enjoying exploring the guitar on my own. I'm going down the route of writing down all the basic chords on a bit of paper, then just learning them all bit by bit.

Some of the terms fly right over my head, but apart from that, what a unique joy it is hearing a sound you made come from such a cool instrument.

Anyone who's always wanted to play but hasn't got round to it - do it now!
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline SteLFC91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #687 on: May 20, 2013, 04:44:44 pm »
Picked up my first acoustic yesterday and have been playing about with it since. Love it.

Gonna have a few free lessons courtesy of a good friend of mine, but in the meantime I'm enjoying exploring the guitar on my own. I'm going down the route of writing down all the basic chords on a bit of paper, then just learning them all bit by bit.

Some of the terms fly right over my head, but apart from that, what a unique joy it is hearing a sound you made come from such a cool instrument.

Anyone who's always wanted to play but hasn't got round to it - do it now!

Justinguitar.com is an absolutely brilliant site to learn from. Helped me loads. Definitely advise you to take a look anyway. Happy learning!  :wave

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #688 on: May 20, 2013, 06:03:03 pm »
i've played Saxophone, Drums, now going for the guitar, so any tips for a complete beginner? Never even held a guitar!
Dont blow into it.

Learn the cheat version of F Chord, it'll break your heart trying to learn it like it did mine and countless others. Been playing guitar probably 8 years now and I only started using the proper F chord a couple of years ago, one of my mates a gigging musician still cant play it!

Very important you pick a decent riff to be your first, you dont want to play some lame shit you'll have to lie about in ten years time. "Teenage Kicks" is a good one to start off with.

For me learning songs was and is by far the best Iv found to improve, anything theoretical I personally lose interest. Also its pretty cool to be able to belt out a few dittys at a party. People will think you are cool and say nice things about you.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #689 on: June 21, 2013, 03:37:29 pm »
Just had mine nicked :(
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #690 on: June 21, 2013, 04:10:04 pm »
Just had mine nicked :(

Sorry to hear that mate, was it an acoustic or an electric?

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #691 on: July 26, 2013, 03:57:05 pm »
Can someone recommend a good guitar tutor, pref in Liverpool City Centre or nearby. I've had a guitar for nearly 10 years now and only taught myself tab. I've got some spare time and cash that I want to start becoming somewhat adept at learning the instrument, rather than just playing the same old shite and failing to make anything decent myself.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #692 on: July 27, 2013, 12:07:32 am »
https://soundcloud.com/nicky-english/nicky-english-impressed

New one from me and the guys. The dude producing and playing the solo in the end is an almighty beast on a guitar.

Impressed Nicky.... really i am....

i've been a guitarist for 30+ years, play blues/rock/acoustic... used to play the live scene for years.. still got my blonde fender telecaster circa 1984/5 (my baby)
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #693 on: November 20, 2013, 08:03:19 pm »
I am looking at playing the guitar again and would like to have done tuition. Does anybody know of a decent online or home based programme of lesson, or, is it best to invest in one-two-one lessons?
Thanks.

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #694 on: May 2, 2014, 11:53:10 am »
I have a Cornell Plexi 7 amp, in like new condition, up for sale (at a good price for a good home).

Please DM me if anyone is interested.  It's the 10" Celestion speaker version.

http://www.dc-developments.com/cornell_plexi7_combo.htm

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #695 on: July 14, 2014, 09:12:11 pm »
Played a little when I was in high school, bought one a few months ago and forgot absolutely everything. Even forgot how to read music, so I'm spending my life on tab websites ;D

Any recommendations for easy songs that sound amazing? So far Hurt by Jonny Cash and the intro to Stairway to Heaven are sounding nice, everything else sounds like acoustic mush!
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Glass Kites

• Anny Roader
  • 5x
    • Blog
« Reply #696 on: July 14, 2014, 10:18:16 pm »

Used to be in a band when we were around 17 and had a lovely Ibanez and Marshall stack for gigs etc. Got to around 18/19 and discovered boozers, so the band folded. Sold all my gear.

Last couple of years I've started stocking up again.

Above is my current set up. Amp is only 20w but loud enough to annoy the neighbours.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #697 on: July 15, 2014, 05:41:55 am »
I started for the first time back in January taking lessons once a week from a great teacher. It's my favourite part of the week.

I'm now at the point where I can almost play Hear Comes The Sun on the acoustic. It's such a great feeling when you play something recognisable and good at the same time.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #698 on: July 15, 2014, 09:47:08 am »
Im going to start my old band up soon with me son as he can play to a good standard. Harmony solos galore ;)
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline gnaume

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wow! My subconsciousness is a genius!
« Reply #699 on: July 26, 2014, 12:49:08 pm »
Been playing the guitar for nearly four years now. I'm very much into acoustics and have been thinking about an acoustic bass. Then I stumbled upon this: http://www.goldtone.com/products/details/w/instrument/494/MicroBass

Does anyone own one of these? What are these little fuckers like?

Offline AM76

• Joylessly cynical skimreader aka IQ76
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #700 on: September 9, 2014, 07:54:25 am »
Was my birthday at the end of August so decided to make use of the electric guitar we got my 5 year old lad for Xmas and bought rocksmith 2014 for the ps3. Only had a couple of goes but got loads of content that should hopefully get me on the way to learn how to play. 

Offline Fredo C

• Anny Roader
« Reply #701 on: September 9, 2014, 04:20:50 pm »
After a few years of wanting to give it a try, I've decided to take the step and learn how to play the acoustic guitar.
Yesterday I had my first class of music theory, and tonight I'm going to meet my guitar teacher.

I haven't bought a guitar yet, since I thought it was wise to talk to my teacher first, but anyway I'd be interested to know RAWK's opinion on good acoustic guitars for beginners.
Budgetwise, I'd look to spend not a great deal more than 160 pounds.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #702 on: September 9, 2014, 07:17:03 pm »
I got a baby Spanish guitar last year for my birthday.  Have struggled to get to grips with it a bit 'cause my learning ability is shot re my depression, but I've had another crack at it this past month and seem to be making progress this time.  My bestie has her own band and she's been very encouraging over the results so far. :)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #703 on: September 9, 2014, 10:57:46 pm »
After a few years of wanting to give it a try, I've decided to take the step and learn how to play the acoustic guitar.
Yesterday I had my first class of music theory, and tonight I'm going to meet my guitar teacher.

I haven't bought a guitar yet, since I thought it was wise to talk to my teacher first, but anyway I'd be interested to know RAWK's opinion on good acoustic guitars for beginners.

You will get a decent beginner's guitar with that budget. I got an acoustic Fender for £80 and it was great for learning on. 

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #704 on: September 9, 2014, 11:47:14 pm »

My only recommendation would be to try several out at music shops to see what feels right/comfortable - then walk away and think about it. (It takes a while for your finger tips to harden so playing can hurt a bit at first).

I went to see Gordon Giltrap when I was a kid in the seventies - he sponsored Ovation at the time. As a consequence, I always wanted an Ovation and finally got one a couple of years ago. It's a beautiful guitar. I can barely play it. The action is so "hard" it requires a ton of pressure to make the notes sound clean. If I'd've tried it before buying I would've realised and maybe made a different decision.

Good luck!

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #705 on: November 3, 2014, 10:32:37 pm »
Been trying to tab this song for a long time. I always get to a point where I get frustrated and just put it down. But I'm planning on doing it in an Open Mic in a few weeks.

http://picosong.com/fDzk/

It's a Roy Harper song from Valentine and would welcome any keen ears to have a pop at working out the Chord Progression.

Upto now, it's in standard tuning.

Intro:
G//D//A//E/ (x3)

Verse:     
E/// D/ (x3) -  D/  (Slidedown)  E/// 
0     0             0                     0
9     7             7                     1 (Alternating with G#-A)
9     7             7                     2
7     5             7                     2

It mostly harps on like that for a while until the solo, which I've slowly chipped away at, but couldn't be arsed tabbing out now.

Any Folk, Dylan, Beefheart fans will love this song if they haven't heard it already. It's truly boss.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #706 on: November 4, 2014, 12:05:49 pm »
I've been playing since I was about 13 or 14, and the best bit of advice I can give to beginners, especially late starters, is to decide what you want to do with it.

If you want to be able to (eventually) impress with your chops, to be able to perform other artists songs well, you need to absolutely hammer it practising your 4-digit fingering, learning your scales and chord transitions. Depending on whether you want to play lead parts on a lecky, or perhaps more classical compositions on an acoustic, skill will gradually come from the foundational stuff becoming second nature. And don't get frustrated with what you'll probably consider slow, arduous practice drills without much progress, 'cause the way it works is that one day you just discover you can do something out of the blue that was an impassable obstacle before. The human brain, and its relationship with learning how to use tools, is weird like that!

However, to be honest I never really learned to play that way, with highly-disciplined practice or any of that. In my early years of playing in adolescence, I mainly got stoned and messed about with chords and chord progressions I just felt sounded class, and used loads of 2-digit fingering, effects pedals, all sorts of little cheats to just enjoy myself hearing the sounds I was producing. It probably took me longer in terms of timespan to learn stuff beyond the basics, but what it did was keep me engaged, I learned to love picking the guitar up rather than associate it with technically-focused chores. What happens is, although it may well take you longer, you pick up a lot of the other stuff anyway, almost unconsciously, through joyous sonic experimentation. And then later on, once you've developed an individual sound, the stuff you've not picked up probably doesn't fit your style all that much anyway, it's needless frills, noodling for the sake of it with no real soul behind it.

So that's how I'd encourage a kid of my own to pick it up, and the same applies no matter what your age really. Enjoy actually playing, actually composing songs and shit, rather than 'getting better'. 'Cause that'll happen anyway - I have no idea why, but one day I went from playing with basically just 2 fingers running on the fretboard to 3, and then 4, and could more or less do it without having drilled it into myself. The easiest practice comes once you have a genuine feel for it, and love doing it. I bet that's why so many sack it off, because they haven't fallen in love with it first by just messing around for ages - foreplay, if you will - and all the sore fingertips and aching hand muscles and stilted-sounding Led Zeppish blues-based solos seem pointless. Your mind, body and soul will adjust to any instrument, with enough love and patience.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #707 on: November 4, 2014, 01:48:34 pm »
In my early years of playing in adolescence, I mainly got stoned and messed about with effects pedals

You've just described me to a T! ;D

Trying to improve my fingerpicking these days, was always a plectrum man but seeing as I hardly play electric anymore I've been increasing my dexterity on the acoustic.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #708 on: November 4, 2014, 04:22:12 pm »
You've just described me to a T! ;D

Trying to improve my fingerpicking these days, was always a plectrum man but seeing as I hardly play electric anymore I've been increasing my dexterity on the acoustic.
I haven't used a plectrum for years! Seriously.

Started off with one pretty much on me at all times - had my fave one, a black Gibson heart-shaped jobby that was somehow just the perfect balance of soft and hard (dunno how), dangling on a rubber band on my wrist so I'd never be without it, regardless of whether I was gigging/practicing that day or not! - and then I started to learn fingerpicking as you say (entirely inspired by a combo of Nick Drake & the Beatles), and just never got back into using a plectrum. I simply angle my nails on my strumming hand a certain way... but I don't like having yer classical guitar aficionado longish nails (pimp-nails, I call them), so it's a much softer sound that tends to suit what I'm trying to do, even loud heavily distorted stuff (just crank it up higher! lol). There are no hard and fast rules with any of this, really - you just make yer music, and if it sounds good, you're doing something right.

I've always planned to either buy myself - or else make myself - something proper to wear on my fingertips for plucking the strings, but the few times I've tried stuff like that, it's felt a bit too unnatural, and I've never got myself accustomed to it because to be honest most of the time I just can't be arsed, I just wanna pick up and play whenever the mood takes me.

I think I may well have actually forgotten how to hold a plec properly now. You do tend to obsess over one thing on the guitar, so when you get more into folkier stuff you totally neglect your lecky and just leave it gathering dust for months, only to then 'discover' some type of distortion and abandon the acoustic for a while. I do anyway.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #709 on: November 4, 2014, 04:39:27 pm »
You guys would freak if you saw the picks I use.

These things are thick as hell.

http://www.wegenpicks.com/
Yeah, I've never 'got' thick, hard picks, even when I used to use them. But then I didn't like the soft nylony ones either, the ones that had a stupid amount of give in them. They's jus some weakass bitch-plecs.

I honestly think my old faithful was magic in some way. It was hard, but not hard hard; soft but not soft soft. You know what I mean? It was dead thin and light too, but felt firm and substantial in between my finger and thumb. Just right. What a beautiful pick that was. When it broke, I even kept the pieces  :'(

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #710 on: November 6, 2014, 05:16:15 pm »
I use a really bendy wide (bass?) pick.  I never played without one so I can't strum with just my fingers.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline MindGuerrillas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #711 on: November 11, 2014, 03:27:17 pm »
Having a bit of a clear out and so I'm reluctantly selling a few guitars.

First one going is my Yamaha APX-6A electro-acoustic. It was made in 2000. Specs as follows:

* Colour: Translucent Blue Burst
* Piezo-Electric Pickups
* Spruce Top
* Nato Back, Sides and Neck
* Indian Rosewood Fingerboard and Bridge
* 24 Frets
* Gold hardware
* 3 Band EQ with AMF (adjustable mid-range frequency)
* Volume, Mute and Battery light

Comes with a padded carry case.

£250 ono.

I'm in the Ellesmere Port area.

See pics here.
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/yamaha-apx-6a-electro-acoustic-guitar-translucent-blue-burst-2000-excellent-condition/1088492687

Anyone interested give me a shout.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #712 on: June 28, 2015, 08:09:21 pm »
Spent some time learning to play back in my teens, but it never quite stuck.

Looking to pick up a guitar soon and get back into it - can anybody offer any 'universal' advice for choosing an amp?

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #713 on: June 28, 2015, 08:39:30 pm »
Spent some time learning to play back in my teens, but it never quite stuck.

Looking to pick up a guitar soon and get back into it - can anybody offer any 'universal' advice for choosing an amp?

Whats your budget?

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #714 on: June 28, 2015, 08:41:55 pm »
Whats your budget?

Restrictive ;D

And I've no requirements beyond my living room for the time being!

Presumably useful information, these are what I seem to have taken an arbitrary liking to:

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/epiphone-eclub-2014-es-339-p90-pro-natural

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/epiphone-ltd-edition-es-339-natural
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 08:45:37 pm by jackh »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #715 on: June 29, 2015, 12:57:14 am »

And I've no requirements beyond my living room for the time being!

If that's the case, the cheapest one will do, provided you get some kind of pedal to nicen the sound up (which can be cheap too, ideally a 'g1next'). No need to spend big, especially since you would be just beginning with guitar again.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #716 on: June 29, 2015, 05:49:49 am »
I haven't used a plectrum for years! Seriously.

There are no hard and fast rules with any of this, really - you just make yer music, and if it sounds good, you're doing something right.

I've never used a plectrum, I tried a bit when I first started but the always dropped out of my fingers into the soundhole of an acoustic, and on electric they make my fingers sweat and then just slip away

What is strange is, I've lived in a flat for the last decade, so I can't strum a guitar like I had always done before, and my nails are now fucked to pieces. They tear at the slightest catch. A bit of paper could rip them to pieces. And I'm seriously beginning to think that what made them strong in the first place was constantly strumming a guitar, hard, fast, percussively, for hours at a time.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #717 on: February 10, 2016, 11:02:17 pm »
Has anybody used 'Yousician'?

Downloaded this last week and am finding it really useful.  Think Guitar Hero meets Duolingo.

The format should inspire fantastic motivation in beginners...thumbs up from me!

For free, you can practice up to and including your current 'level' and the assessed aspect (where your mic listens to you and tracks your playing) is available for about twenty minutes/one lesson set per 12 hours.

I think it's £20 per month, or £120 for the year if you sign up.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 11:06:14 pm by jackh »

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #718 on: April 5, 2016, 07:51:07 pm »
Looking at buying some replacement steel acoustic strings.
I have bought D'Addario EJ15 Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings 10-47 Extra Light in the past.

Does anybody else have any recommendations?
Thank you.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #719 on: April 5, 2016, 07:58:21 pm »
Looking at buying some replacement steel acoustic strings.
I have bought D'Addario EJ15 Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings 10-47 Extra Light in the past.

Does anybody else have any recommendations?
Thank you.

I used to use these:

But I see now they've redesigned the packaging and I don't know if I like it ;D

I always use heavier ones anyway on acoustic as I think they sound better. It's harder to bend the strings but I find that less of a necessity on acoustic compared with electric.