Author Topic: The Tablet Computing Thread  (Read 364908 times)

Offline Liamski-la

• Beehive Hairdo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird upon my chest
Re: The Tablet Computing Thread
« Reply #5000 on: January 2, 2014, 01:18:43 am »
Which particular root are you using?

Most will leave you with one or two configuration apps in your app draw.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but sometimes I abuse the privilege

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #5001 on: January 2, 2014, 10:38:04 am »
Which particular root are you using?

Most will leave you with one or two configuration apps in your app draw.

To be honest I'm not to sure! The problem I have is my silly mother bought the Kindle from Ebay after I told her not to and when it was delivered I couldn't register with Amazon so I called them and they told me the Kindle had been reported lost so the serial number is blacklisted, I explained how I got it and they just said tough, The seller is longer on ebay so I'm stuck with it. Trying to do anything on it without the apps is a nightmare.

I have it rooted and tried to install jellybean or cm10 I think it is but to no avail.

Offline Liamski-la

• Beehive Hairdo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5002 on: January 17, 2014, 04:42:50 pm »
Could cry!

Just dropped my 32gb nexus 7 and fucked the screen :(

Anyone know of a good source of genuine screens and digitizers?

Busy trawlling through all the guff on fleabay. Don't know what's genuine and what's not.

Offline greenkomodo

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #5003 on: January 17, 2014, 04:53:48 pm »
Fixxed my own mobile screen by buying a cheap one and it worked fine.

Think you'll be good getting any one to be honest.
‘We don’t need to give away flags for our fans to wave – our supporters are always there with their hearts, and that is all we need. It’s the passion of the fans that helps to win matches – not flags.’

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5004 on: January 17, 2014, 05:42:06 pm »
Anybody has Surface?
Thinking about getting one to replace my 1st gen iPad.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5005 on: January 17, 2014, 06:38:48 pm »
Anybody has Surface?
Why a surface?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5006 on: January 17, 2014, 06:41:16 pm »
Why a surface?

Dunno, bored of iOS and wouldn't touch Android device with a stick, so I'm looking for something with Windows. Think it's a mistake? Not a very demanding user, not looking for games or million apps so it might as well be Surface as long as it's well built, reliable and smooth working.

Offline Liamski-la

• Beehive Hairdo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5007 on: January 17, 2014, 06:59:42 pm »
Dunno, bored of iOS and wouldn't touch Android device with a stick, so I'm looking for something with Windows. Think it's a mistake? Not a very demanding user, not looking for games or million apps so it might as well be Surface as long as it's well built, reliable and smooth working.

A lot of cash for a tablet.

I'd struggle to see past that and then you have all the usual perceptions about windows a mobile device os.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5008 on: January 17, 2014, 07:04:35 pm »
Bored of iOS?

But you could get ios7 on a new ipad which is very much improved on ios5 you are on now.

You would also lose App Store ....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5009 on: January 17, 2014, 08:31:07 pm »
My girlfriend got me a Surface 2 for Christmas, its brilliant. Defo better than the ipad in my opinion.

Offline y2w902

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5010 on: January 18, 2014, 01:00:37 am »
Anybody has Surface?

Great tablet mate, great build quality, lovely UI, the kick stand is sweet and the app store is improving all the time.

It also comes with a full powered browser with flash so most apps that aren't available you can just use the browser instead.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 01:02:15 am by y2w902 »

Offline Ari.Gold

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5011 on: January 18, 2014, 08:50:24 am »
I have galaxy note 10.1 and i have a problem with connecting bluetooth mouse
when i search new devices it shows my mouse and when I try and click connect and it says conecting.. and nothing happens  :missus

Offline y2w902

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5012 on: January 18, 2014, 09:53:17 pm »
I have galaxy note 10.1 and i have a problem with connecting bluetooth mouse
when i search new devices it shows my mouse and when I try and click connect and it says conecting.. and nothing happens  :missus

Does your mouse have a connect button or something that put its on "pairing" mode. I have bluetooth headphones and I have to set the headphones to pairing mode in order to connect to devices I haven't paired up before.

Offline Ari.Gold

• Main Stander
« Reply #5013 on: January 19, 2014, 12:23:53 am »
Does your mouse have a connect button or something that put its on "pairing" mode. I have bluetooth headphones and I have to set the headphones to pairing mode in order to connect to devices I haven't paired up before.
yes,allready try by holding that button, still no go :(

Offline y2w902

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5014 on: January 19, 2014, 03:23:38 am »
Try turning Bluetooth off on both, then turn the notes Bluetooth on and then the mouse afterwards

Offline Ari.Gold

• Main Stander
« Reply #5015 on: January 19, 2014, 11:45:20 am »
Try turning Bluetooth off on both, then turn the notes Bluetooth on and then the mouse afterwards
same, guess i will have to buy new mouse, maybe this is not compatibile with note
thanks anyway :)

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5016 on: January 19, 2014, 12:12:52 pm »
Not a tablet as such but am a bit of an Apple newbie looking for some general advice ...

My daughter has just got a 16GB 4th Generation iPod touch and I am keen to monitor what she does with it (but don't want to block her access completely) so I have a few basic questions:

1) Does it run apps just like an iPad does ? Or does it have it's own app store ? Does it even run apps in that sense ?

2) Is there any software I can run on it to monitor what she is doing on the web and/or block certain sites ?

3) To get full use out of it will see need an iTunes account ? Or can it play MP3s without needing iTunes ?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5017 on: January 19, 2014, 02:36:01 pm »
Not a tablet as such but am a bit of an Apple newbie looking for some general advice ...

My daughter has just got a 16GB 4th Generation iPod touch and I am keen to monitor what she does with it (but don't want to block her access completely) so I have a few basic questions:

1) Does it run apps just like an iPad does ? Or does it have it's own app store ? Does it even run apps in that sense ?

2) Is there any software I can run on it to monitor what she is doing on the web and/or block certain sites ?

3) To get full use out of it will see need an iTunes account ? Or can it play MP3s without needing iTunes ?
1. Yep, works exactly the same way.

2. I don't know in detail, but I've had a quick look on App Store and you can get kid safe browsers.

3.  Yep, you need an iTunes account.  It's really very simple now you don't need a laptop to sync it up to.
W

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5018 on: January 19, 2014, 02:45:38 pm »
anyone have anyway of playing flash on their tablet? got the samsung tablet and its the only downside

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5019 on: January 19, 2014, 02:55:34 pm »
anyone have anyway of playing flash on their tablet? got the samsung tablet and its the only downside
Probably an browser available that will support flash.

On iOS there is puffin browser.... Try that?
W

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5020 on: January 19, 2014, 03:47:26 pm »
1. Yep, works exactly the same way.

2. I don't know in detail, but I've had a quick look on App Store and you can get kid safe browsers.

3.  Yep, you need an iTunes account.  It's really very simple now you don't need a laptop to sync it up to.

Thanks.

Regarding iTunes - if I don't want her buying tracks off the iTunes store but am happy for her to copy her MP3s from the PC/laptop I presume that still can only be done by syncing up an iTunes accound between PC and iPod Touch right ?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5021 on: January 19, 2014, 04:09:16 pm »
Thanks.

Regarding iTunes - if I don't want her buying tracks off the iTunes store but am happy for her to copy her MP3s from the PC/laptop I presume that still can only be done by syncing up an iTunes accound between PC and iPod Touch right ?
Yep.

Keep the password to yourself
W

Offline Ari.Gold

• Main Stander
« Reply #5022 on: January 19, 2014, 04:40:07 pm »
i have flash
i tryed mozilla, internet explorer, dolphinhHD, and google Chrome - non of them worked for me
then i tryed internet w'n'w (some internet browser i've got with tab,from tmobile)
then you must go to page http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html and find your android version and download,install and select your browser (make sure you check security in properties before installing this)

Offline Swissgaz

• Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5023 on: January 19, 2014, 07:36:17 pm »

With regard to 2) turn on restrictions in Settings>General.  You will need to set a pass code which lets you control what she can use the iPod for and enable content ratings.  Not brilliant but better than nothing.   

"Sometimes you just have to chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is" - Daniel Sturridge

Offline greenkomodo

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #5024 on: January 19, 2014, 08:19:20 pm »
Try Puffin Browser for flash on android after you installed the adobe flash .apk
‘We don’t need to give away flags for our fans to wave – our supporters are always there with their hearts, and that is all we need. It’s the passion of the fans that helps to win matches – not flags.’

Offline Liamski-la

• Beehive Hairdo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5025 on: January 19, 2014, 09:49:51 pm »
^^ that what I use. It's a little slow but it works fine.

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5026 on: January 20, 2014, 10:11:55 pm »
Yep.

Keep the password to yourself

Ok. IMessage, app store and itunes all need an appleid which in turn needs a credit card. Being 7 she obviously doesn't have one so I will have to use mine and create the appleid in my name.

Any ideas of how to control this without her having to come to me everytime she wants something? Ideally set it up so no payments can ever be taken from the card?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5027 on: January 20, 2014, 10:33:35 pm »
Ok. IMessage, app store and itunes all need an appleid which in turn needs a credit card. Being 7 she obviously doesn't have one so I will have to use mine and create the appleid in my name.

Any ideas of how to control this without her having to come to me everytime she wants something? Ideally set it up so no payments can ever be taken from the card?
Don't know

Anyone else?
W

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5028 on: January 20, 2014, 10:59:10 pm »
Don't know

Anyone else?

Found it :)

Basically you can click on your appleid in the app store, edit your payment information and choose 'none' in the list of payment types.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #5029 on: January 21, 2014, 11:38:21 pm »
Anyone looking for a cheapish tablet should consider the Nook HD+. A lot of tablet for the money, the display especially.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #5030 on: January 22, 2014, 02:52:10 pm »
Right, leaving one job to move to another, have had a work iPad, one of the 2012 ones I think. Anyway, I am giving this back and don't want to use my 2011 iPad as the wife has that. I'm after a new tablet. Looking top end really. I am an android phone user so happy to go android. Is the galaxy 3 one worth it? Or should I go nexus?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5031 on: January 22, 2014, 05:20:06 pm »
Nice to see you back on here btw.
W

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #5032 on: January 22, 2014, 07:05:32 pm »
Nice to see you back on here btw.
cheers, but no advice? ;)

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5033 on: January 22, 2014, 07:08:32 pm »
cheers, but no advice? ;)
I've got an iPad air...

I really like ios7, it's got really thin bezels, battery life is great as is the screen.

It's also incredibly light.

But then I'm biased because I've never used android
W

Offline Ari.Gold

• Main Stander
« Reply #5034 on: January 23, 2014, 06:53:38 am »
Right, leaving one job to move to another, have had a work iPad, one of the 2012 ones I think. Anyway, I am giving this back and don't want to use my 2011 iPad as the wife has that. I'm after a new tablet. Looking top end really. I am an android phone user so happy to go android. Is the galaxy 3 one worth it? Or should I go nexus?
i would recomend you the new galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition
it is much much better than galaxy tab 3
search the specs

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5035 on: January 23, 2014, 11:27:31 am »
Surface Pro 2

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5036 on: January 23, 2014, 11:44:36 am »
I'd recommend the Sony Xperia Z Tablet, have one and it's a lovely piece of kit.

I've recently got a Nexus 5 phone, and if their tablets are as good as their phones I'd imagine they are also top notch.

Offline armchair-fan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5037 on: January 31, 2014, 09:14:33 pm »
Took delivery of a Nexus 7 yesterday.  Seems like a nice piece of kit, although I can't help but think it's a bit like a giant phone that you can't make calls on.

But the reason I have got it was primarily so my 7 year old can play games on it rather than filling my phone up with awful games.  So, I've set the thing up linked to my gmail account.  I'm wanting to set the 7 year old up as a separate user, but is there a way of setting her up so she can download free games and stuff from google Play Store via my google sign in, but without her then having all my e-mails and all the other google stuff, and the ability to pay for things, etc, etc or do I need to set her up with a google account of her own?  And is there some sort of child version of a google account?

Sorry if this is all obvious stuff, but I'm fresh to the tablet world.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5038 on: February 1, 2014, 01:44:43 am »
Nexus 7 is brilliant. Probably the best Android tablet due to having a great screen, and it not being overly large that scaled out apps don't look pooh. The Android 'tablet' app landscape is a bit piss poor really, although certainly getting better. Phones are brilliant though.

Shame cos some of the hardware on the tablets are brilliant, Experia Z for example as mentioned before. If all your doing is web browsing it's all still good though.

The new batch of Bay Trail Atom Windows 8.1 devices are looking interesting too. At least the apps, of what little there are, are deigned for tablet, plus you get full windows, hence why the 8 inch devices are limited to 1280x800. I like the look of the VivoTab Note 8 with a Wacom digitiser built in.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #5039 on: February 19, 2014, 12:45:52 pm »
Thanks for advice. Typical rawk that you get so many different answers. Think I'm likely to head down the android route. Just about finding the best one at the best price