Author Topic: Re: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)  (Read 861 times)

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Re: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2024, 08:01:27 am »
He's trying to over intellectualise totally subjective stuff - like everyone is  ... finishing is secondary ... also his finishing / decision making is fine 

All you need is his xg to know he's going to score a shit load of goals..
This stuff is becoming a bit like weight loss and food.. we know the answer is calories in / calories out but people constantly want to reinvent it or find a nuance etc etc...
xg / quality shots = goals... over time everything else is detail. It's boring but it's also the answer

This is a dumb take, including the weight loss one. There is a ton of metabolic research that shows exactly how nuanced this subject really is and how complex the body's physiological regulation of nutrient processing is, but whatever.

Secondly, Owen's point in a way mirrors yours in that finishing is about playing the percentages, and his point was that the finish that Darwin went for is a low percentage finish compared to other options. In other words, his comments were more about the choice of finish/decision-making more than anything else. You may disagree with that but you haven't made any real arguments to suggest why Owen was wrong about his observation.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2024, 08:29:24 am »
I have watched the same video and definitely didn't think it was anti-Nunez at all. I thought it was a fair and balanced discussion about Nunez's decision making and maybe one can disagree with Owen but he explained his point of view respectfully. I think a lot of our fans just need to grow a pair.
He doesn't do well? Gets stick. 
Does well? Gets stick.

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2024, 08:36:17 am »
Sorry. Not Convinced by Darwin. Let’s see him chip an apple into the bin while being pressured by his mum.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2024, 08:41:47 am »
This is great.
He finishes wrong damnit!

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2024, 09:58:38 am »
''If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later''

We all know who said that, and I'd rather take his advice than Micheal Owen. 

Don't give a flying x how the ball ended up in the net, it did.

It was a fantastic finish though!

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2024, 10:26:51 am »
He doesn't do well? Gets stick. 
Does well? Gets stick.

Seriously, what stick? Owen was gushing about just how incredible the finish was, the quality of the technique, the invention, all of it.

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2024, 10:36:27 am »
I think the point is, he was certainly complimentary about the goal itself, but took it as an opportunity to criticise Darwins decision making in front of goal in general, which perhaps was completely unnecessary, or not even accurate.

I mean, for all the woodwork shenanigans, he's still got 13 goals and however many assists this season, as well as his outstanding general play.

Just seems some pundits are looking for any excuse to have a pop at him, even after a wonderful goal.

Offline DG

• Killjoy who loves himself.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lovern
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2024, 10:53:11 am »
I think he has a point to be fair, a decision can be wrong even if the outcome is right. He could have passed the ball to Jota which was probably the easiest way out, or go round the keeper, or shoot either side of him. To go for the lob was obviously the hardest option, even if he succeeded. To put it simply, to go for a difficult finish is worse than going for an easier one. And to say his finishing has to improve for him to improve his numbers isn't much of an opinion, it's a stone cold fact, theoretically correct for every footballer in history.

To have a go at Owen for it seems a bit sensitive to say the least, I was thinking the same thing.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2024, 10:55:39 am »
I think he has a point to be fair, a decision can be wrong even if the outcome is right. He could have passed the ball to Jota which was probably the easiest way out, or go round the keeper, or shoot either side of him. To go for the lob was obviously the hardest option, even if he succeeded. To put it simply, to go for a difficult finish is worse than going for an easier one. And to say his finishing has to improve for him to improve his numbers isn't much of an opinion, it's a stone cold fact, theoretically correct for every footballer in history.

To have a go at Owen for it seems a bit sensitive to say the least, I was thinking the same thing.
It's a back handed compliment. If a player does well, why not simply praise to build his confidence and it's not like he doesn't get hammered when he doesn't do well.

Offline DG

• Killjoy who loves himself.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lovern
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2024, 10:59:59 am »
It's a back handed compliment. If a player does well, why not simply praise to build his confidence and it's not like he doesn't get hammered when he doesn't do well.
It's not his job to build his confidence, but to analyze the match in front of him. To say a goal can be scored from a wrong decision is a perfectly valid opinion, just like an all in with kings up against aces is a wrong decision even if a king comes on a river. Or, like in this example, and audacious and wonderful chip when there was an easy square ball that will lead to a goal a lot more often.

And it's not like it's out of the blue either, Nunez squandering chances is literally the one thing holding him back from being clear cut world class.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2024, 11:01:34 am »
Sorry. Not Convinced by Darwin. Let’s see him chip an apple into the bin while being pressured by his mum.

Comolli approves of this post.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2024, 11:05:01 am »
If you watch it back Diogo is so rapid in supporting him, that there is a moment where he is either ahead of the ball or at least looks very close. And that moment is maybe the moment where the decision to pass or shoot has to be made. You've then got he keeper who has narrowed the angle, cut off pretty much the left side of the goal, made sliding it down the either side a lot tougher. So not really sure I buy the whole 'he went for the toughest finish when it was a sitter' angle.

As a wise man once said 'If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just pop it in the net and we'll discuss your options afterwards'

If you've got the ability to chip it like that and it succeeds in going over the keeper, its pretty much a guaranteed goal. Quite why Owen would use it as a bit of a stick to beat him is odd, since him of all people was great at it too. And if Darwin had passed to Diogo and he had been slightly off, it would have been utter carnage in here.

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2024, 11:31:00 am »

:lmao

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2024, 11:33:44 am »
This is a dumb take, including the weight loss one. There is a ton of metabolic research that shows exactly how nuanced this subject really is and how complex the body's physiological regulation of nutrient processing is, but whatever.

Secondly, Owen's point in a way mirrors yours in that finishing is about playing the percentages, and his point was that the finish that Darwin went for is a low percentage finish compared to other options. In other words, his comments were more about the choice of finish/decision-making more than anything else. You may disagree with that but you haven't made any real arguments to suggest why Owen was wrong about his observation.

Calling it a 'dumb take' to claim that caloric deficit is important to weight loss is certainly... a take.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2024, 11:41:41 am »
Calling it a 'dumb take' to claim that caloric deficit is important to weight loss is certainly... a take.

Show me where I said caloric deficit is not important for weight loss.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2024, 11:44:48 am »
Fucking hell :lmao
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2024, 11:45:54 am »

Unclear why you have a problem, even calling it a 'dumb take', with 'high value shots is to goal scoring what caloric deficit is to weight loss' then? Anyway, I'll let Jack take over if he can be bothered, he's a big boy and doesn't need anyone to defend him. 

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2024, 12:39:18 pm »

Video I posted did though.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2024, 12:44:03 pm »
It's not his job to build his confidence, but to analyze the match in front of him. To say a goal can be scored from a wrong decision is a perfectly valid opinion, just like an all in with kings up against aces is a wrong decision even if a king comes on a river. Or, like in this example, and audacious and wonderful chip when there was an easy square ball that will lead to a goal a lot more often.

And it's not like it's out of the blue either, Nunez squandering chances is literally the one thing holding him back from being clear cut world class.

At the point of taking the shot, Jota looks to be ahead of the ball therefore would likely have been given offside.
If it was passed to him any earlier than that, then it's Jota on a one on one instead and coming in at an angle which the keeper could've closed off.

Darwin made a decision and it turned out to be the correct one.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2024, 02:53:57 pm »

He’s meant to be a fan so he should know better. If any other player scored that, he won’t analyse it like that. Every thing Darwin does is dissected.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2024, 03:09:05 pm »
Owen is a boring Manc c**t, can't believe anyone is siding with that twat.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2024, 09:07:34 pm »
Not sure if Darwin’s in a calorie deficit today or not, but I’m hoping last night was a calculated decision rather than an enforced one.

On Owen’s comments, of course Owen is a bad dickhead but what he’s saying is absolutely fair, it’s a bizarre decision albeit a wonderfully executed one. It’s a joyous goal - for someone like me who cares very much about the aesthetics of goals - it’s glorious, but it’s also not much of a push to say that there were probably three higher-likelihood options, such as slotting Jota, or placing it either side of the keeper, who to his credit had closed the space. Regardless of how you spin it, it’s an odd finish. But it was incredible and I personally would trade a few frustrating misses - if they’re ultimately inconsequential - to be able to enjoy something like that regularly.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2024, 09:20:55 pm »
Love Nunez but I agree with Owen. He needs to find a go-to finish for those situations. He's been missing the majority of them all season.

He simply needs to learn to slot it either side of the keeper.

Owen was a master in those scenarios. As was the original Ronaldo.

Five minutes ago people were telling Darwin to stop twatting the ball and start chipping the keeper. He does that and it is still wrong.

As for Owen being a master finisher, I think you must be confusing him with Fowler.

Owen never got 20 League goals in a season.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2024, 09:25:48 pm »
Love Nunez but I agree with Owen. He needs to find a go-to finish for those situations. He's been missing the majority of them all season.

He simply needs to learn to slot it either side of the keeper.

Owen was a master in those scenarios. As was the original Ronaldo.

Who cares really? The ball ended up in the net, it was an audacious finish which paid off, when the likes of Raul and players of that ilk used to do it people used to laud them with praise, Nunez does it and a small segment of people chose to rather focus on the negative of something that ended up being wholly positive both in execution and outcome.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2024, 09:27:51 pm »
Five minutes ago people were telling Darwin to stop twatting the ball and start chipping the keeper. He does that and it is still wrong.

As for Owen being a master finisher, I think you must be confusing him with Fowler.

Owen never got 20 League goals in a season.

I don’t think 20 league goals should be the barometer though, he scored 19 a couple times, 18 a couple times and had 16 in 28 and 16 in 29.

He was a top class finisher.

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2024, 09:28:57 pm »
Owen isn't wrong.  It was an incredibly skilled goal, but Darwin should always be looking to take the easier option (pass to Jota, go around the keeper) in situations like that. 

I'm surprised we haven't seen him go around the keeper more often as he has blazing speed and you would think it would be dead simple for him to go left or right a few feet and then slot it into the open net.  In this offseason, he just needs to watch a highlight reel of Torres doing it for us and then he'll have another goal scoring weapon in his arsenal.
Raúl barely had a kick. The nearest he got to greatness was when he shook Gerrard by the hand.   Times - Mar 10,2009.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2024, 09:31:14 pm »

Close the thread; unleash the anal probes!
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2024, 09:34:39 pm »
He’s meant to be a fan so he should know better. If any other player scored that, he won’t analyse it like that. Every thing Darwin does is dissected.

Had DeBruyne scored that we’d have seen columns galore dedicated to declaring him the greatest PL player of all time

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2024, 09:37:46 pm »
I don’t think 20 league goals should be the barometer though, he scored 19 a couple times, 18 a couple times and had 16 in 28 and 16 in 29.

Plus was out for a minimum of about 8 weeks a season injured.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2024, 09:39:12 pm »
Not sure if Darwin’s in a calorie deficit today or not, but I’m hoping last night was a calculated decision rather than an enforced one.

On Owen’s comments, of course Owen is a bad dickhead but what he’s saying is absolutely fair, it’s a bizarre decision albeit a wonderfully executed one. It’s a joyous goal - for someone like me who cares very much about the aesthetics of goals - it’s glorious, but it’s also not much of a push to say that there were probably three higher-likelihood options, such as slotting Jota, or placing it either side of the keeper, who to his credit had closed the space. Regardless of how you spin it, it’s an odd finish. But it was incredible and I personally would trade a few frustrating misses - if they’re ultimately inconsequential - to be able to enjoy something like that regularly.

Him doing that chip also should put doubts in opposition keepers' minds going forwards. If he goes low for a bottom corner every time, they know they can stay low and react quicker to that. Now, they won't know whether to stand, crouch, go to ground.

Well, those keepers who think about these things, that is. Pickford won't have time to read his water bottle and will just rush out and try to injure Darwin. Then blame everyone else for the goal.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2024, 10:05:10 pm »

Owen had the cheek in 2021 to say Mo wasn't a natural finisher.

Darwin got 26 League goals in 28 games. Mo got 32 league goals in 36 games. Yet Owen thinks he is in a position to criticise them.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Red Giant

• da red giant asshole
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2024, 10:36:17 pm »
I know some of you get easily upset but I agree with what Owen said about that Nunez goal. I love Darwin as a player and I loved that finish but that wasn't remotely the best option to choose.
What Owen was doing is just a little constructive criticism, that's all.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2024, 10:38:11 pm »
It was a great goal and will do the lads confidence (not that he's lacking) the world of good. But he's a Liverpool player so he doesn't get the props that he deserves.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2024, 10:59:25 pm »
Darwin Núñez showing why Liverpool told Chelsea he wasn’t for sale

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/darwin-nunez-liverpool-chelsea-jurgen-klopp-8r8qhqsm0?

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2024, 11:02:35 pm »
Why do stories like that only ever come out on the eve of finals/massive games?

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2024, 11:07:00 pm »
Owen had the cheek in 2021 to say Mo wasn't a natural finisher.

Darwin got 26 League goals in 28 games. Mo got 32 league goals in 36 games. Yet Owen thinks he is in a position to criticise them.

Stop it mate Nunez hasn’t achieved what Owen has even comparing them at the same age, he’ll probably end up a better player due to Owen falling off due to injury but we don’t need to rewrite history, he was an elite player from 18- 23 and one of the better finishers around.

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2024, 10:48:06 am »
Stop it mate Nunez hasn’t achieved what Owen has even comparing them at the same age, he’ll probably end up a better player due to Owen falling off due to injury but we don’t need to rewrite history, he was an elite player from 18- 23 and one of the better finishers around.

Doesn't mean Owen isn't wrong does it?

Before anyone says anything a young 5 year old lad in Australia (myself) had a Owen Jersey I even bloody had a back pack with him on it in a LFC kit lol.

Just doesn't change the fact his opinion was completely wrong, I can't even believe people are trying to justify it.

First thing he says Nunez doesn't change his trajectory running towards the goal when he clearly does..
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 10:49:47 am by mullyred94 »

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2024, 11:09:36 am »
I hope everyone agreeing with Owen has also been consistently pointing out the unsustainable % of high value shots not going in for Darwin and has avoided criticising him for it. You can’t criticise him for a low % shot type for the finish where he scored and also criticise him for the amount of high % shots he hasn’t scored from. Consistently argue from % for strikers or not at all.

That is, the criticism of the finish argues that it was a low value shot and that even though he scored he often won’t. But lots of people have been also criticising him for high value shots taken where he hasn’t scored when in reality he often will score from those and misses have mostly just been down to variance. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 11:12:33 am by Knight »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2024, 11:14:33 am »
Owen is just nitpicking for attention or because he generally doesn't rate Nunez that highly as a finisher.  Owen was also a brilliant finisher himself and will know what the optimum shot choice would be in pretty much any situation.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2024, 11:16:08 am »

Ballon D'or winner, lest we forget.
How many English players get that?
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist