Author Topic: Welcome to Liverpool Thiago Alcantara  (Read 821455 times)

Offline Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Welcome to Liverpool Thiago Alcantara
« Reply #7840 on: May 17, 2024, 04:20:33 pm »
Joins the list with Anelka and Litmanen etc for me - world class players at the time but it never quite worked out; I know he achieved much much more than them when he got on the pitch but the overriding feeling is "what might have been". We got to see some glorious bits and pieces, he was great in the double season, that United game stands out as the best half I've seen from an LFC midfielder under Klopp, and also when he and Fab grabbed the season by the scruff of the neck the season before and we qualifed for the CL. Just a pity it's fizzled out - we really needed someone like him after Christmas this year. 

Was so excited when he signed. Seems a great lad too
And now, the matador shall dance with the blind shoemaker!

Offline kop306

• Kopite
« Reply #7841 on: May 17, 2024, 06:17:29 pm »
if thiago and jota would have stayed fit for longer jurgen would have won at least 1 more premier league

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #7842 on: May 17, 2024, 06:47:54 pm »
It's a shame he'll end up in the 'what could have been' XI with the likes of Marcus Babbel, Daniel Sturridge, Rob Jones, Daniel Agger. All players who would have been Liverpool greats had they stayed fit (and all showed great quality at varying points in our shirt) but are more known for their injuries than the quality they did show. Hopefully Jota's not set to be another.

Arguably Fowler and Owen as well, although i'd say they achieved enough in a Liverpool shirt.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7843 on: May 17, 2024, 07:50:17 pm »
Glad he played the 120 mins in the FA Cup final and won a trophy with us.

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7844 on: May 17, 2024, 08:01:35 pm »
He’s obviously injury prone but we were robbed by that arsehole Richarlison in much the same way that the twat Lampard deprived us of some of our best times with Xabi, and that’s nothing to do with the player being made of glass, more down to the way thugs like them behave when faced with truly skilful players making mugs of them. (Also Ramos vs Mo and plenty others)

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #7845 on: May 17, 2024, 08:33:21 pm »
Rewatched the 4-0 against Utd from a few seasons ago. His performance was an absolute exhibition of passing and how to control a game.

Such a shame we didn't get to see more of it the last 4 years.
Probably the best midfield masterclass display I’ve seen at Anfield in all my years of going. Majestic performance, don’t think he gave it away once all night and was absolutely everywhere.

Shame it didn’t work out the way it could have done with injuries but you could tell why he had so many top class years in La Liga and the Bundesliga where the speed of play is slower.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #7846 on: May 17, 2024, 09:50:21 pm »
His injury this season cost us the Title. Had Thiago been able to return to the team in the early Spring, as once looked likely, we'd have won the league. I've seen very few players who tie a team together like this lad.

Thanks for the memories Thiago. It was brilliant to see you pay in our shirt.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7847 on: May 17, 2024, 10:02:26 pm »
His injury this season cost us the Title. Had Thiago been able to return to the team in the early Spring, as once looked likely, we'd have won the league. I've seen very few players who tie a team together like this lad.

Thanks for the memories Thiago. It was brilliant to see you pay in our shirt.
I wonder mate, it's soul destroying thinking about it.
You're right though about it being brilliant seeing him in Red. I'm not sure if I've seen a player adjust his stance so noticeably but so effectively when receiving a ball to then continue a move.
A technically sublime footballer.

Good luck Thiago, keep us in your heart.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #7848 on: May 17, 2024, 10:09:27 pm »
I wonder mate, it's soul destroying thinking about it.
You're right though about it being brilliant seeing him in Red. I'm not sure if I've seen a player adjust his stance so noticeably but so effectively when receiving a ball to then continue a move.
A technically sublime footballer.

Good luck Thiago, keep us in your heart.

Can't be easy to do John otherwise we'd have seen other players perform this skill in the last two years or so. (Remember how the Cruyff turn became almost commonplace within 12 months of its debut).

We've been a bit unlucky with players of his calibre over the years. Litmanen's another one. Both geniuses, both made of glass. Glad to have seen them both in Red though.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #7849 on: May 17, 2024, 10:10:47 pm »
The way he could run a game was brilliant to watch. We knew he was injury prone before we signed him but was deemed to be worth the risk. If he was fit this season, I have no doubt he’d have been a major asset especially in games where control was badly needed. He’s one of these players you can see going on to be a brilliant manager

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7850 on: May 17, 2024, 10:11:33 pm »
Never seen a player make a ball bounce off thin air before.

Offline Shanksgates

• Boys Pen
« Reply #7851 on: May 18, 2024, 08:26:20 am »
It was a pleasure to watch him in the time he had with us. Shame about the injuries, but what a player. Magician

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7852 on: May 18, 2024, 08:27:14 am »
What a player.

Just a shame he was injured so much.

Offline Oscarmac

• Kenny is King
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7853 on: May 18, 2024, 08:39:42 am »
Used to go in early just to watch him warm up. When fit, he was a piece of art. Could do things other players would never even imagine, and if they did would not have the skill to execute.
They are only great because we are on our knees......let us arise!

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #7854 on: May 18, 2024, 08:48:05 am »
An absolutely sublime player and one you would call genuine world class. Some of his touches and passes used to make me gasp and purr in awe.Such a shame injuries (some of them inflicted by thugs) robbed him and us of a huge chunk of playing time. I'm absolutely certain we'd have won so much more of he was playing more often. Thanks for the great times son, just a pity for us all there weren't more of them. YNWA

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7855 on: May 18, 2024, 08:54:14 am »
It's a real shame our two of three attempts at evolving Klopps midfield (Keita and Thiago) have ended in such a disappointment. As others have said could really have done with a calm head at times this season. Good luck to him
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline KC7

• Main Stander
« Reply #7856 on: May 18, 2024, 03:32:44 pm »
Joins the list with Anelka and Litmanen etc for me - world class players at the time but it never quite worked out; I know he achieved much much more than them when he got on the pitch but the overriding feeling is "what might have been". We got to see some glorious bits and pieces, he was great in the double season, that United game stands out as the best half I've seen from an LFC midfielder under Klopp, and also when he and Fab grabbed the season by the scruff of the neck the season before and we qualifed for the CL. Just a pity it's fizzled out - we really needed someone like him after Christmas this year. 

Riedle
Litmanen
Anelka
Morientes
Thiago

Great names, all European Cup winners prior to joining, but really only Anelka who had his best years ahead of him. Houllier just didn't trust him though (many of us didn't in fairness).

On the subject of top foreign names joining the club, the best of the lot would have been Michael Laudrup. Our best ever player discussion, there wouldn't have been one. Of the many great things the maestro did his disguised pass was utter filth.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7857 on: May 18, 2024, 03:39:25 pm »

I'd say Keita in the 5-0 match in 21/22 for me eclipsed it,. although that ended badly as he was so good, Pogba put in that awful tackle that left Keita on a stretcher (and from memory, he tried it earlier as well).  Thiago's was probably second, although can remember a couple of Hendo masterclasses too

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #7858 on: May 19, 2024, 12:43:42 pm »

'Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And you’ll never walk alone…
@LFC
❤️'

https://x.com/Thiago6/status/1792147468219494904 - a 2 minute video
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7859 on: May 19, 2024, 01:29:38 pm »
He was in the training videos, any chance he’s involved in the game?