Author Topic: Liverpool FC vs Man City, Sunday 13 April KO 1:37pm  (Read 204521 times)

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Re: Liverpool FC vs Man City, Sunday 13 April KO 1:37pm
« Reply #80 on: April 7, 2014, 05:26:33 pm »
It's simple - we beat them 3-0 and we have the upper hand on points and goal difference.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: April 7, 2014, 05:29:13 pm »
Am I being stupid, or am I the only one who's finding the 13:37 kick off time unusual? Anyone shed a light on this?
:duh
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline 666

• Legacy Fan
  • "وقدم ليفربول بالنسبة لي وقدم الأول لليفر
« Reply #82 on: April 7, 2014, 05:30:07 pm »
Decisions, decisions.... Coutinho or Sterling? Agger or Sakho? Allen or Lucas?
"Ливерпуль игроки должны играть, как лев, дать его все. Там должно быть определение, приверженность и решимость быть игроком Ливерпуля".

"Так Роджер Хант пропустив кілька, але він потрапляє в потрібне місце, щоб пропустити їх." ~ Білл Шенклі з репортером

Maestro di lingue, conquistatore del mondo.

Online Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: April 7, 2014, 05:31:03 pm »
Not sure I share the enthusiasm for Clattenburg - he's one of the better refs but he did just recently give us an absolutely UNHEARD of 3 penalties at OT, and he might be a little more on the reluctant side to award us anything should he come under lots of scrutiny. I mean if it's stonewall I reckon he has the balls to do it, but I can see some 50-50s not quite falling our way.

On the game, I'm excited. They started well against Arsenal and looked the better team but began to run out of steam towards the end and were lucky to hold on for a point. If there's one part of games we excel at, it's at home in the first 20-30 mins. We'll be absolutely rabid out of the blocks and if we give them the run around early they should start to tire. They have more threat than any other team we've played this season, but if we can make any early dominance count in terms of the score, I'd back the crowd to carry us home. Either we blitz them completely in the first half, or if they somehow are drawing or lead in the second half the last 20 mins will just be one way traffic towards their goal.

Don't think we'll go for the diamond because it leaves us too exposed down the flanks which is one of the areas City threaten from the most, particularly the FBs overlapping. If we did I think it would have to be Allen in there (if he's fit) because I'm not sure Lucas has the stamina to play that role the way we would need him to. If we play 4-3-3 I would go for one of Allen/Lucas instead of Coutinho (though Coutinho + Sterling has done well for us in big games and is always a possibility, but I would prefer to have a more attacking option available on the bench) and encourage Hendo and Allen to press the living hell out of the City midfield. I'm not sure about having to rely on Gerrard man-marking Silva, but if you deny City time and space on the ball he won't get it as often and therefore won't be able to do anything with it.

I fancy it to be much tighter than a lot expect, but I don't see us losing, and I'm pretty optimistic we'll win. City actually attempt to play football (unlike Chelsea - a game I'm much more worried about) but I'm not sure they will be able to cope with the tempo and pace of our game when we're at home. I'm not sure they will have faced any team as direct us as this season (by that I don't mean long ball, more than in these games we always look to attack and often at breathtaking speed) and we always have set pieces on our side. On the flip-side of that, we need to avoid silly FKs in and around the box, but so do they.

Barring any glaring individual errors? 2-1 to us.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: April 7, 2014, 05:33:10 pm »
How long since we had Oliver? He's pretty decent.
Last game was arsenal 5-1.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Spraynard Kruger

• Wholeheartedly supports the cause but would stay seated in a walk-out protest cos, you know, it's so expensive to get to the game, so doesn't wholeheartedly support after all and misses the point completely. All in one sentence. Wow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: April 7, 2014, 05:34:56 pm »
My prediction for this game is that City will get a straight red pretty early and the flood gates will open.
"Sometimes you have to just chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is." - Daniel Sturridge

Offline Jehst1979

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: April 7, 2014, 05:37:57 pm »
Am I being stupid, or am I the only one who's finding the 13:37 kick off time unusual? Anyone shed a light on this?

Yeah you're stupid...... think about the month of April, think about what happened that effected our football club for ever... hint... Hillsborough, why 7 mins? try 15:07 when the game was stopped...

fuck me sideways...

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: April 7, 2014, 05:42:15 pm »
I'd be worried about using a diamond, simply because of their fullbacks.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: April 7, 2014, 05:42:36 pm »
Yeah you're stupid...... think about the month of April, think about what happened that effected our football club for ever... hint... Hillsborough, why 7 mins? try 15:07 when the game was stopped...

fuck me sideways...

Steady there. Might be better to educate someone who wasn't even born when it happened rather than berate. Think it was a genuine question.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #89 on: April 7, 2014, 05:44:00 pm »
I'd be worried about using a diamond, simply because of their fullbacks.
Is right, IMO. Maybe that's why we started 4-3-3 against the Hammers, to give the system a little warmup.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Jehst1979

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: April 7, 2014, 05:44:06 pm »
Steady there. Might be better to educate someone who wasn't even born when it happened rather than berate. Think it was a genuine question.

You've got a point of course, born or not though educate yourself.......its just annoying when people miss the obvious...

Offline Notfromaroundhere

• Kopite
« Reply #91 on: April 7, 2014, 05:45:54 pm »
I think you'll smash them - City are winning games but not with the same energy and dynamism as Liverpool at present. The momentum you've got - added to the significance of Sunday - will get you over the line IMO. The only danger I can see is - as good as he's been offensively - Gerrard left with the role of picking up an in-form Silva. I assume Lucas might start for this reason with Gerrard pushing on?

I think there's a chance Lucas will start to give us more solidity, but he'll probably play in the advanced position he did yesterday at West Ham. Whether it'll be on the side of the diamond or as one of the 2 ahead of the DM in the 4-3-3 remains to be seen. Gerrard will probably stay where he's been since the Stoke game; I think he's better suited to play in the holding role than in the more energy-demanding roles.

Depends how Rodgers thinks City will approach it though and how interested he is in dominating possession. If he thinks they come to attack and keep the ball I think we'll use the blitz-approach that worked so well against Arsenal and Everton, and possibly use Coutinho in midfield with Gerrard and Henderson to make the most out of our attacking transition.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #92 on: April 7, 2014, 05:47:27 pm »
I'll be honest here, I'll probably settle for all 3 points.

Offline RGF30

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
    • Insurance
« Reply #93 on: April 7, 2014, 05:48:14 pm »
City will be thankful for the delay. Most visiting teams at Anfield are 2-0 down after seven minutes.

Classic.

Offline tjtaylor182

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #94 on: April 7, 2014, 05:54:44 pm »
Since the new year all I have been hoping is that we go into the City and Chelsea games with something to play for. And now we go into it with the league in our own hands.

From here on in I am just going to enjoy it. I can't wait to get to Anfield on Sunday. The Spurs game was so good and I am hoping this will be better. Our fans need to just relax and enjoy the day.

As for the game, its going to be a tough tough game. Especially as City can play for a draw really. I would play Coutinho and Sterling and try and hit them with pace as I think this is where their weakness is. but that could leave us open to domination in midfield.

I think a lot of the game will depend on which Yaya turns up. Sometimes he doesn't seem to fancy it when his backs against the wall for me. We need to hit the ground running and show them they are in for a tough day.

Offline Alex7

• Kopite
« Reply #95 on: April 7, 2014, 05:55:10 pm »
It doesn't really as Chelsea could still overtake us by beating us. This is more of a semi final first leg, luckily the second leg is also at home :)

No doubt it is a tough game, but the thinking behind my post is that we will win the 4 after if we manage to beat City. That's how important I think it is

Offline Spraynard Kruger

• Wholeheartedly supports the cause but would stay seated in a walk-out protest cos, you know, it's so expensive to get to the game, so doesn't wholeheartedly support after all and misses the point completely. All in one sentence. Wow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: April 7, 2014, 06:00:04 pm »
I think it will be similar to what we did for Sunday. Start with the 4-3-3, and switch to the diamond with Lucas coming on for more solidarity in the second half as necessary.

We're going to start this game like we've been shot out of a cannon and the home games against the top teams where there is usually more space for Coutinho to operate is where he's at his best.
"Sometimes you have to just chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is." - Daniel Sturridge

Offline koppitemk

• Kemlynite
« Reply #97 on: April 7, 2014, 06:05:45 pm »
Does anyone know are there any plans to do a Sunderland....and get three early and greet the team coaches. It would be awesome for this game and live on sky, fill stadium early like the Chelsea semi

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: April 7, 2014, 06:06:00 pm »
I think it will be similar to what we did for Sunday. Start with the 4-3-3, and switch to the diamond with Lucas coming on for more solidarity in the second half as necessary.

We're going to start this game like we've been shot out of a cannon and the home games against the top teams where there is usually more space for Coutinho to operate is where he's at his best.
I'd be surprised if we didn't start Lucas or Allen.

I think City will play Silva off Dzeko to get control and we will need bodies in central areas. I can't see Pelligrini coming to Liverpool in the 'battle of the entertainers' and going tight with Garcia and Fernandinho and Toure in the middle.

Offline Garry_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: April 7, 2014, 06:09:24 pm »
Is this potentially our biggest Premier League game to date?

Offline Digger2God

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe IT!
« Reply #100 on: April 7, 2014, 06:13:33 pm »
The setup of the team for this fixture will be very telling of Brendan's view of the team. I think SSS upfront is a must. The question is what to do with the middle. Do we bring Lucas in? If so, would it be Stevie or Lucas holding? City's main threat comes from Silva and Toure, and Lucas has done a great job on both those players. If Lucas holds, then that would be moving Stevie from his maestro position which I think would upset the midfield balance.

Do we go crazy and bring in Coutinho for Lucas/Allen? He does well in the big games, and he will have a bit more space than at WH.

My choice would be a midfield three of Stevie, Allen and Hendo. Coutinho and Lucas on the bench if we need to chase or close out the game. I am a nervous wreck already.
"How many do you want?! How MANY do you want?"

Offline Digger2God

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe IT!
« Reply #101 on: April 7, 2014, 06:15:11 pm »
I'd be surprised if we didn't start Lucas or Allen.

I think City will play Silva off Dzeko to get control and we will need bodies in central areas. I can't see Pelligrini coming to Liverpool in the 'battle of the entertainers' and going tight with Garcia and Fernandinho and Toure in the middle.

I am sure they will play Fernandinho and Toure in the middle with Silva, Nasri and possibly Milner (for Jesus) behind Dzeko/Aguero.
"How many do you want?! How MANY do you want?"

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #102 on: April 7, 2014, 06:22:37 pm »
The setup of the team for this fixture will be very telling of Brendan's view of the team. I think SSS upfront is a must. The question is what to do with the middle. Do we bring Lucas in? If so, would it be Stevie or Lucas holding? City's main threat comes from Silva and Toure, and Lucas has done a great job on both those players. If Lucas holds, then that would be moving Stevie from his maestro position which I think would upset the midfield balance.

Do we go crazy and bring in Coutinho for Lucas/Allen? He does well in the big games, and he will have a bit more space than at WH.

My choice would be a midfield three of Stevie, Allen and Hendo. Coutinho and Lucas on the bench if we need to chase or close out the game. I am a nervous wreck already.

Would be my choice, but wouldn't be entirely surprised to see him go with Coutinho in place of Allen in a hit 'em hard and fast type start.

Could try and put this to bed in the first 25 mins?
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #103 on: April 7, 2014, 06:29:50 pm »
I am sure they will play Fernandinho and Toure in the middle with Silva, Nasri and possibly Milner (for Jesus) behind Dzeko/Aguero.
We can counter him with Moses ;)
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: April 7, 2014, 06:29:59 pm »
No doubt that will be the game of the season. Won't be one sided. Come on Liverpool. I don't ever drink, but fuck it. If Liverpool win, a warm cup of milk and a toast to Brendan Rodgers!

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: April 7, 2014, 06:38:18 pm »
I don't think there's much, 'potentially' about it.

As long as we keep winning, in an ever increasing scale, every game we play from now till the end of the season is the most important game we've ever played.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: April 7, 2014, 06:39:14 pm »
It will be strange doing the 'Jonah' double this week, seeing as I'll be betting agaisnt my team

Will also be in Scotland for the game.

If we don't win I'll be blaming Rab C Nesbitt.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #107 on: April 7, 2014, 06:44:28 pm »
Don't give a shit HOW we win, just that we do.

On paper City are the best team/squad in the league but after seeing what we've done to Arsenal, the bitters and Spurs etc at Anfield, there is no reason why we can't do the same to these - they are afterall, only human.

I think BR will target Demichelis as the weak link and I hope to see a nice handball from him.
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #108 on: April 7, 2014, 06:48:03 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HlHTwxQ9zjE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HlHTwxQ9zjE</a>

Just rewatched this, atmosphere that night was incredible.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #109 on: April 7, 2014, 06:49:18 pm »
I feel less pressure than I did going into the West Ham game to be honest.  I can see an opening 20 minutes like the one we saw against Arsenal, the new rich kids will be waanting to head back down the East Lancs by half-time.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #110 on: April 7, 2014, 06:50:26 pm »
My prediction for this game is that City will get a straight red pretty early and the flood gates will open.

I hope you are Mark Clattenburg and I claim my 5 quid.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline BigRed100

• Main Stander
  • Fowler09
« Reply #111 on: April 7, 2014, 07:01:18 pm »

This.

I think he's got the message now guys.
Sex Panther... 60% of the time, it works EVERY time!

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #112 on: April 7, 2014, 07:07:09 pm »
I feel less pressure than I did going into the West Ham game to be honest.  I can see an opening 20 minutes like the one we saw against Arsenal, the new rich kids will be waanting to head back down the East Lancs by half-time.

Same!
Continually on 11,420.

Offline shanks_legend

• Anny Roader
  • Whopper/Beaut of the highest order
« Reply #113 on: April 7, 2014, 07:07:39 pm »

fuck me sideways...

Superfan - calm the f*ck down
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Offline Wiss_LFC

• Wuss_WUM: Diss_missed but won't be ATALL_missed.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: April 7, 2014, 07:07:52 pm »
Lucas to do another job on David Silva like before?
I'll bring out the stats and heat maps if we sign him.

Offline GOD-9

• Biff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robert Bernard Fowler
« Reply #115 on: April 7, 2014, 07:07:56 pm »
Jesus, the lad was only asking a question, some people are so fucking precious
Youll Never Walk Alone

Offline Istanbulievable

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: April 7, 2014, 07:09:57 pm »

Without doubt.

Offline Waka

• negative fucker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: April 7, 2014, 07:10:50 pm »
The biggest game to date this season for sure, then if we win, Norwich will be the biggest the following week, Chelsea after that and so on.

Open game, fast pace, high tempo. Hope the ref can keep up and doesn't throw the match on a decision based on a whim. And if he does, and it's likely, we have a major home advantage.

Offline stevenalonsa

• Legacy Fan
  • my d.o.b. 30.5.85 same as gerrard
« Reply #118 on: April 7, 2014, 07:13:28 pm »
Hart to get sent off in the first half for fouling Suarez inside the box and Gerrard to score from the spot...we go on to win 3-0 with Anfield erupting with joy and belief..A loud roar followed by YNWA resulting in goosebumps..By God's grace we win, nevermind if it doesnt translate the way i expect ;) ;) A win is all that counts...YNWA...

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #119 on: April 7, 2014, 07:24:16 pm »
Lucas to do another job on David Silva like before?

Possibly. There are a lot of options. Coutinho usually plays really well at home so we could go with Henderson and Gerrard sitting and Coutinho in front. With Sterling, Suarez and Sturridge as the 3 ahead. It would certainly give City more to think about and more to worry about. It might be the way to go if we're going to try and blitz them like we did with Everton and Arsenal. Conversely, if Rodgers wants to contain Silva/Nasri and Toure he could play Lucas or Allen which would probably mean Coutinho sitting out. I don't see Sterling not starting because their full backs get up and down.

Lucas certainly played well against West Ham, but this will be a different game to that. City know we control the destiny of the title, so they will be coming to win because if they lose they will be 7 points behind us. In a way its easier playing against a team like that, compared to one that will park the bus. It becomes an open game, and Coutinho can spread the attack really quickly. Then again, do we want to go in to a game where they have Toure and Fernandinho with just Henderson and Coutinho, with Gerrard essentially sitting? Thankfully Rodgers will have the answer.

We've made a complete and utter mockery this season of bogey teams or teams we don't play well against. With City, I've always thought we stacked up well against them anyway. We were extremely unlucky not to win both games against them last season, and unluckier in the away match this season. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we won the game 2-0 or 3-1. The crowd will be electric and Anfield will be insanely loud. City don't really thrive under those conditions, and I think they'll find it harder than what we're thinking.

YWNA