Author Topic: Liverpool FC vs Man City, Sunday 13 April KO 1:37pm  (Read 204695 times)

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
Re: Liverpool FC vs Man City, Sunday 13 April KO 1:37pm
« Reply #200 on: April 8, 2014, 04:20:40 am »
Gerrard to score the winner in the 96th minute, nothing would be more fitting.
I'd prefer is he scored his hatrick goal in the 96th minute to seal a comfortable 3-0 win. Don't think my nerves could handle anything else.

Offline MerseyMania

• Defiled for fantasticism.....
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: April 8, 2014, 04:48:43 am »
The expensive toys will buckle under pressure. They are bound to be. It will be a good learning for them as to who are the men of Football in this country. On top of it, I cant fathom them to be Champions of English football after spending as much as they did and succumbing home and away to Barca. City always failed in Europe. They don't deserve this title and will get a check of reality on what Championship material is all about.
I see a comfortable win for us.

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: April 8, 2014, 04:59:46 am »
Fucking hell, I'm shitting myself already...

Offline Occy

• Anny Roader
  • Loves to Lurk.
« Reply #203 on: April 8, 2014, 05:01:08 am »
I think this is the decider. Chelsea to drop points away at Swansea. I have been shaking all week.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #204 on: April 8, 2014, 05:03:45 am »
The expensive toys will buckle under pressure. They are bound to be. It will be a good learning for them as to who are the men of Football in this country. On top of it, I cant fathom them to be Champions of English football after spending as much as they did and succumbing home and away to Barca. City always failed in Europe. They don't deserve this title and will get a check of reality on what Championship material is all about.
I see a comfortable win for us.

Those expensive boys already held their nerve two seasons ago. If they beat us and go on to win the title than of course they deserve to win the title, they're scoring as much as we are per game and play good football.

I see anything but a comfortable win, they deserve to be shown respect and I know we will.
:D

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: April 8, 2014, 05:05:11 am »
I'm actually quite calm about this, though I'm sure this will change 5 minutes prior to the game beginning.

The way I see it is that our progress and improvement this season has set us up for this, IMO, defining moment. We have a chance to really put ourselves into prime position for the title, and if we win it would be absolutely massive. It really is the biggest game since Athens.

However, I honestly believe that we are not the favourites here, no matter what the bookies/supporters say. City are the strongest team in the league in my eyes, and are on a remarkable run, not dissimilar to ourselves. No matter what happens here, the season will have already been a massive achievement. I think in knowing this, hopefully the players do too. They will be able to play with freedom and less pressure. If we want to win the title, then nothing than a win will do here - so just go for it and whatever happens, happens.

Really excited to see if we have what it takes against the strongest team in the Premier League. Hopefully the atmosphere will be reminiscent of that Chelsea semi-final. The supporters really don't need any further incentive than to look at the date, and the position we find ourselves in.

We play to the best of our abilities and the dream becomes a distinct reality.

Offline gb096

• Anny Roader
  • In Sunny Brisbane
« Reply #206 on: April 8, 2014, 05:05:16 am »
It will be tough, but we have nothing to fear. As BR says the pressure is on them, they have spent big to win the title and in comparison we are the minnows. Win, lose or draw the team has made us believe again and we all wanted to be in the race to the title come April. We are not just in the race we are winning it and the team has played some outstanding football along the way. No doubt we will be up for it and I will take 6-0 win.!!!

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: April 8, 2014, 05:11:58 am »
I've been soothing my nerves by reinforcing the fact that no matter what happens against city, we have CL football to look forward to next year. Not working very well, I want the title! We are not Arsenal who can celebrate 4th like a trophy, title or nothing every year!

Offline JohnM

• Mystic tealeaf reader
  • Anny Roader
  • That's how they roll.
« Reply #208 on: April 8, 2014, 05:12:13 am »
What do the tea leaves say ?

The wife will be conducting a reading, on Wednesday something to do with the position of the moon and the planet Jupiter in its solar system.

That's how they roll, Inshaallah
JohnM

Do all that is necessary and nothing that is not

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #209 on: April 8, 2014, 05:34:58 am »
Those expensive boys already held their nerve two seasons ago. If they beat us and go on to win the title than of course they deserve to win the title, they're scoring as much as we are per game and play good football.

I see anything but a comfortable win, they deserve to be shown respect and I know we will.

But did they?! As I remember it they had a big lead in the title race but let it slip and opened the door for United to sneak in, and were 2 minutes away from allowing the mighty QPR to take the title away from them. You can call that holding their nerves, but their performance in the last game was shocking for 90 minutes (against 10 men no less!) but was masked by the late flurry of goals that won the game.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #210 on: April 8, 2014, 05:43:19 am »
I'm actually quite calm about this, though I'm sure this will change 5 minutes prior to the game beginning.

The way I see it is that our progress and improvement this season has set us up for this, IMO, defining moment. We have a chance to really put ourselves into prime position for the title, and if we win it would be absolutely massive. It really is the biggest game since Athens.

However, I honestly believe that we are not the favourites here, no matter what the bookies/supporters say. City are the strongest team in the league in my eyes, and are on a remarkable run, not dissimilar to ourselves. No matter what happens here, the season will have already been a massive achievement. I think in knowing this, hopefully the players do too. They will be able to play with freedom and less pressure. If we want to win the title, then nothing than a win will do here - so just go for it and whatever happens, happens.

Really excited to see if we have what it takes against the strongest team in the Premier League. Hopefully the atmosphere will be reminiscent of that Chelsea semi-final. The supporters really don't need any further incentive than to look at the date, and the position we find ourselves in.

I'm very optimistic about this game actually. I was more worried ahead of the games against Cardiff, Sunderland, and West Ham  as those were the games that could deny us the opportunity we now have (not Spurs though, that was always going to be 3points in my mind). If we'd have lost or drawn those then this City game would have been a bit anti-climatic even if we would win due to it being out of our hands. If we lose this game then so be it, we gave it a good shot.

The only thing I'm actually worried about thinking about the run-in are referees. Not that we've had that many decisions against us per se, but the quality of refereeing in general across the league has been ridiculously bad at times this season, and I hope that isn't what ends up costing us, as it already has in games against City, Chelsea, Southampton (at home) and Arsenal (in the cup), and came close against Sunderland and West Ham. And thats without mentioning the decisions that have favoured our direct rivals in games not involving us: Altidore's disallowed goal against Arsenal, Ramires last minute dive for a penalty against West Brom for Chelsea, Newcastle's disallowed goal vs City, the City offside goal vs Southampton ( btw I still think City would have cracked and failed to win that game if it wasn't for that 2nd goal that loosened them up and demoralized Southampton)... etc

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #211 on: April 8, 2014, 05:45:35 am »
But did they?! As I remember it they had a big lead in the title race but let it slip and opened the door for United to sneak in, and were 2 minutes away from allowing the mighty QPR to take the title away from them. You can call that holding their nerves, but their performance in the last game was shocking for 90 minutes (against 10 men no less!) but was masked by the late flurry of goals that won the game.

You'll have blips in a total race but they still remained calm when it mattered, their win against United was huge and the game at Anfield is of the same importance.

It would have been easy for them to crumble against QPR but they probed and kept their heads. Weren't they also 3-0 down to Sunderland the game before United and pulled it out the bag too?
« Last Edit: April 8, 2014, 05:49:01 am by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline random22

• Kopite
« Reply #212 on: April 8, 2014, 05:50:51 am »
So nervous about this one. Just win. Please!

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: April 8, 2014, 05:51:42 am »
I'm very optimistic about this game actually. I was more worried ahead of the games against Cardiff, Sunderland, and West Ham  as those were the games that could deny us the opportunity we now have (not Spurs though, that was always going to be 3points in my mind). If we'd have lost or drawn those then this City game would have been a bit anti-climatic even if we would win due to it being out of our hands. If we lose this game then so be it, we gave it a good shot.

The only thing I'm actually worried about thinking about the run-in are referees. Not that we've had that many decisions against us per se, but the quality of refereeing in general across the league has been ridiculously bad at times this season, and I hope that isn't what ends up costing us, as it already has in games against City, Chelsea, Southampton (at home) and Arsenal (in the cup), and came close against Sunderland and West Ham. And thats without mentioning the decisions that have favoured our direct rivals in games not involving us: Altidore's disallowed goal against Arsenal, Ramires last minute dive for a penalty against West Brom for Chelsea, Newcastle's disallowed goal vs City, the City offside goal vs Southampton ( btw I still think City would have cracked and failed to win that game if it wasn't for that 2nd goal that loosened them up and demoralized Southampton)... etc

No doubt.

But we control what we can and the referee doesn't matter. It's important to get ourselves in a position where even refereeing errors don't affect the outcome of the game. Easy to say but it's what we have to do.

Offline The Purple Tape

• Goes into town, buys Belgian chocolates and fine wines, comes home, gets lotion, mouths "You're looking so good today, baby" to himself in the mirror, takes himself to sensual places the like of which no human has ever known.
  • Anny Roader
  • l
« Reply #214 on: April 8, 2014, 06:15:29 am »
Disagree with the opinion shared by many that a draw is a good result for Man City. I would be happy if they go into the game thinking that though, because coming to Anfield for a draw you'll get beat. They need to win because anything else lets Chelsea back into it all. If Man City Draw with us and lose to Everton they'd be a point behind Chelsea same number of games played. We'll need to stick 2 men on Toure, limit his influence as much as possible and we'll win easier than people think. This team aren't that good. They've got 10-15 points more than they should from incorrect referee decisions. With Clattenburg in charge that takes their usual cheating advantage away.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #215 on: April 8, 2014, 06:18:51 am »
No doubt.

But we control what we can and the referee doesn't matter. It's important to get ourselves in a position where even refereeing errors don't affect the outcome of the game. Easy to say but it's what we have to do.
Of course. But when it reaches the ridiculous levels that it did in the two Christmas fixtures (where literally everything went against us from shocking non-calls on fouls and penalties to terrible offside calls) its hard to overcome those errors.

We've already come through two testing games with poor refereeing in the run-in (Sunderland and West Ham), and the players clearly have the mentality to shrug poor decisions off and give an extra 10% (as Gerrard himself said after West Ham)

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #216 on: April 8, 2014, 07:23:10 am »
Going with my son. Only his second game at Anfield. The first was under Hodgson when we lost 1-0 to Wolves. How far we've come !

That was my first one too and in some ways I'm really glad about that. The fact I wanted loads and loads more, even of that drab horror, at least showed me I was a Liverpool supporter.
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: April 8, 2014, 08:01:55 am »
City have become better too.
Was it last year that they got totally outclassed by a non spectacular ajax team in the Champions League ?
2-2 at home and 3-1 away.

Offline Henderson Our Hero

• Founding Member of the Claire Rourke Fan Club - Swedish Branch (vi håller ögonen på dig....)
  • Kopite
  • This is Jordan
« Reply #218 on: April 8, 2014, 08:03:23 am »
Lets twat them twats just like we have twated the twats in the last 9 games.

(its  been working since I first made the twat post so please let it stand)

Offline Jamesy

• Anny Roader
  • Auld Arse
« Reply #219 on: April 8, 2014, 08:05:47 am »
So nervous about this one. Just win. Please!

Worry is a such a wasted emotion. There is no point concerning yourself over things you have no control over. Just channel that energy and emotion into positive belief, sit back and enjoy the ride!

We are going to smash these!

(:
I've got your name written here in a rose tattoo.

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #220 on: April 8, 2014, 08:06:06 am »
What a game this is going to be.

Offline lebowski25

• Main Stander
« Reply #221 on: April 8, 2014, 08:22:11 am »
To think how bad things were under Hodgson and Gillette and Hicks, the turn around is remarkable that we are actually in this position.

Up the reds

Offline Dubit10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: April 8, 2014, 08:25:18 am »
God it feels good to be in with a shout of the title with only 5 games left. 5-4 Liverpool with Stevie scoring an injury time peno yes please.
Robbie Fowler is God

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: April 8, 2014, 08:27:26 am »
I'm just grateful to the players and everyone else around the club that we have earned the right to play a game like this.
It feels great.

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #224 on: April 8, 2014, 08:27:58 am »

Great post.

Rodgers has already spoken about playing without fear and that is so key for this game. If we play as well as we can then I don't think there is a team able to stop us.  However it's also fair to say if a City play to the best of their ability it's going to be tough.

This team has fantastic spirit and ability, it's a joy to watch. Let's hope that we play as well as we can and blow them away.

Can't wait!

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #225 on: April 8, 2014, 08:29:54 am »
City have become better too.
Was it last year that they got totally outclassed by a non spectacular ajax team in the Champions League ?
2-2 at home and 3-1 away.

Yeah i think it was last year. 3 points in the group stage was shockingly bad for a team with that much talent.

I actually don't think they've become that much better since then to be honest. They benefited from a really weak group this year beyond Bayern (CSKA and Viktoria Plzen) and rightfully strolled to the 2nd place, in contrast to when they had Real Madrid, Dortmund (in their prime), and a tricky Ajax in their group.

City were nowhere near Bayern and only won the return game simply because Bayern couldn't give a fuck, just like how they've picked up only 1 point in two games (including their first league loss of the season) since securing the German league title.

Pellegrini was brought in to help them compete in Europe after getting Malaga to the QF last year, but he wasn't anywhere near Barcelona in their tie. Some might point at the red card in the 1st leg as decisive, but whilst it was important I don't think it had any large bearing on the result of the tie. Barca were in control before the red card, and controlled the second leg as well.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: April 8, 2014, 08:32:29 am »
Will need Hendo and possibly Lucas or Allen to do a lot of defensive work on Silva and Nasri. They are the heartbeat of the team. As long as our fullbacks can cope with theirs, we have a good chance. Their weakness is their centre defence pairing and we have the right personnel to exploit that. Against Soton, they attacked with pace from the channels and we'll need to stop that

Offline random22

• Kopite
« Reply #227 on: April 8, 2014, 08:44:46 am »
Worry is a such a wasted emotion. There is no point concerning yourself over things you have no control over. Just channel that energy and emotion into positive belief, sit back and enjoy the ride!

We are going to smash these!

(:

True. The match is massive. And nervousness is just due to the fear of failure to win it as this is the match that almost puts the title in our grasp if it is won. While you are right I should just enjoy the ride, it is in human nature to vent concern over uncontrollable things. :P

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: April 8, 2014, 08:45:13 am »
I think City have the bigger pressure here. They don't need to win and may come for the draw in fear of giving something away which might play into our hands.

Don't think we have any option but to play the Diamond. Think Lucas might have played himself into the starting 11 and can put yaya in his pocket.

We gave them an almighty game at the Etihad when we had no Gerrard or Sturridge and we got robbed with dodgy decisions. In addition we have discovered how effective the diamond is particularly against more offensive teams.

Have a feeling we'll score from a set-piece and hold on for 1 - 0. As I say the pressure is on them and their game plan.

Anfield will be amazing - 12th man do not let us down.

Offline redalways

• ...so needs a pair of clean knickers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: April 8, 2014, 08:52:38 am »
The confusion is obviously as the official KO is given as 13:37.
3:37 it is then:)

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: April 8, 2014, 09:05:44 am »
I think City have the bigger pressure here. They don't need to win and may come for the draw in fear of giving something away which might play into our hands.

Don't think we have any option but to play the Diamond. Think Lucas might have played himself into the starting 11 and can put yaya in his pocket.

We gave them an almighty game at the Etihad when we had no Gerrard or Sturridge and we got robbed with dodgy decisions. In addition we have discovered how effective the diamond is particularly against more offensive teams.

Have a feeling we'll score from a set-piece and hold on for 1 - 0. As I say the pressure is on them and their game plan.

Anfield will be amazing - 12th man do not let us down.

If we play the diamond we'll end up giving space in the wides areas for the full backs to exploit which is what they're great at.

Offline Sally

• Desperately searching for a very, very, very, very, very small toaster! "I'm saying this now, if he (Christian Benteke) scores more than 16 goals for us next season i'm eating my cock." (Duly noted!)
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Yellow Submarine
« Reply #231 on: April 8, 2014, 09:10:24 am »
We can do this! This game feels like the boss battle on the last level some arcade game

I don't know how i'm gonna manage until Sunday! I wish i could sedate myself until the time

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: April 8, 2014, 09:11:45 am »
BANZaI BANZaI BANZaI!!!!!!

Lets do it for the 96!!!! 
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Snusmumriken

• Kopite
  • Don't believe everything you think
« Reply #233 on: April 8, 2014, 09:27:21 am »
That was my first one too and in some ways I'm really glad about that. The fact I wanted loads and loads more, even of that drab horror, at least showed me I was a Liverpool supporter.

Hate to point out the obvious, but.. redalways is your father!

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: April 8, 2014, 09:32:44 am »
How is it only tuesday?

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #235 on: April 8, 2014, 09:36:41 am »
3:37 it is then:)
As long as City turn up at that time we'll be ok.

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #236 on: April 8, 2014, 09:36:48 am »
Had to pass the tickets for this on as I'm down at a mate's wedding in Exeter of all places. Will have to listen to it on the radio on the way back home.

I decided against not going as I didn't want karma to bite me in the ass, so if we win this, you've all got me to thank.

Not Brendan.
Not Luis.
Not Stevie G.
Not Dr Peters.
Not FSG.
Not Mignolet.
Not Sturridge.
Not Raheem.
Not little Phil.

Me.

All me.

Cos I'm taking one for the team and not dodging my mates wedding even though it's the biggest game at Anfield in nearly 10 years.

Me.

I look forward to all the PMs of thanks come Sunday at around 4pm.

You're welcome.
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: April 8, 2014, 09:49:17 am »
Dammit. Why is it only Tuesday

Cannot wait for it

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: April 8, 2014, 09:53:09 am »
Bring it on!  They do not know how badly we want it.

24 year-long wait.  Too long too long.

There are the 96 - and many more - on 15 April 1989.  25 years, at long last a new inquest and the wheel of justice has begun to roll. 

For everyone at the Liverpool Football Club, on earth and above.  We just want it!!

Offline Sucker-Punch

• Main Stander
« Reply #239 on: April 8, 2014, 09:57:32 am »
3-1...and Chelsea to drop points 8)
“This city has two great teams - Liverpool and Liverpool reserves.” - Bill Shankly