Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 501484 times)

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #6560 on: March 29, 2024, 01:37:51 pm »
I’m sure ownership will be more than fine with solid top 4 and the fan base too so slightly different to the question of yours I was answering which was just my opinion of where we’ll be

My view is there’s no real reason why we won’t challenge for the title unless there’s a mass exodus of players … our talent level is as high as anyone in the league and many of them will be better next year than this purely due to being closer to their peak age etc
We’ll also add in the summer
We can debate how much of our level is klopp vs generic good coach but on the other side of the ledger it’s hard to imagine an injury crisis as bad as this year 

City are on the downside of their ridiculous peak and need some surgery, Arsenal will be good again but after that it’s really hard to see anyone closing the gap
We’re a +1 xg / 90 team with way more than average injuries and a lot of young players many in their first season in this league … hard to imagine we won’t be as strong next year and that’s a title challenging level
In general people are being way too pessimistic about where we’re at and how much we’ll lose with a non klopp manager

On players yeah we absolutely should be strong enough. But we have seen it this year even we have games where we have needed smart thinking from Klopp. And you need so close to perfection at the moment

With the squad we have, top 4 should always be achievable. A challenge for the title though even with the players we have, needs that level of experience from the manager, which I believe any of the options we have will need some years to obtain and learn. Hell even Klopp needed it

For me I would want Top 4, and at least signs of growth over the next 3 years. If we don't get top 4 or don't show signs of improving on any issues we have tactically, we would have to reconsider the pick
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 01:39:38 pm by Stockholm Syndrome »

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #6561 on: March 29, 2024, 01:39:01 pm »
It's alright, don't panic, I'll do it for a season until Xabi's ready
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6562 on: March 29, 2024, 01:39:19 pm »
Pretty much this. He’s clearly got an agreement with Madrid to take over in the summer of 2025. No doubt there will be some PR bullshit when he inevitably gets the sack from Madrid at some point and comes out with Liverpool job being his dream job or something.

Its amazing with him, smart attire and a supposed love of all the sophisticated things and people just swoon for him. His Liverpool love in and legendary status is overplayed.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #6563 on: March 29, 2024, 01:39:57 pm »
This is the big issue.

There's a lack of managers and a surplus of big jobs available this summer. A number of teams are going to end up with underwhelming options.

It's been excatly the same for years. It's why United are getting linked to the likes of Southgate and O'Neil. It's not because they think they are elite managers. Just they might be the best available to them. In the same way we'll be picking from a similar pool of options.

Not quite sure what people want us to do given the options available.

I think managers burn out quicker now. Particularly at the top with the pressure, the relentless schedule. Plus the fact one big contract makes you obscenely rich so the hunger isn't there over a long period. Mourinho had burnt out about 10 years ago but does keep coming back and repeating the same cycles. Klopp leaving before he burns out.

Managers like Conte or Zidane happy to have long periods out of work rather than kicking on and improving.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Disintegration

• Legacy Fan
  • Kicking Against The Pricks
    • Attempted blog, didn't last long. As always.
« Reply #6564 on: March 29, 2024, 01:40:57 pm »
Top 4 might be achievable now with a different manager, but unless FSG start spending a lot more, that will change very quickly if the new man isn’t an exceptional talent who punches above his weight. We can’t expect to remain a club with top four aspirations indefinitely while spending less than Villa and West Ham.

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6565 on: March 29, 2024, 01:42:10 pm »
On Amorim, it's also appealing that he won the domestic cup with Braga. He was only in charge there from December 2019 to March 2020, before Sporting paid 10m euros to take him as their new manager. That is quite a fee to pay for someone who'd managed at a senior level for just four months... suggests to me that the perception of him was sky high.

Since then, he's won the league with Sporting and the domestic cup twice
. That's good going for a side that are very much third to Porto and Benfica, and he has the chance to win a second title this season (looks to be between them and Benfica, with Sporting a point ahead with a game in hand).

He seems sounds, speaks fluent English, has developed players there quite well, shown he can get a side to overperform. No idea if he'd succeed here but feels like that would be the case for anyone we appoint. Need to realise that there's a not small chance that we'll be back in the managerial market in 12 months, regardless of who we appoint.

Important to note that is the League cup.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #6566 on: March 29, 2024, 01:44:52 pm »
I don't think FSG/Edwards/whoever's involved in choosing would be for a short term style manager ala Conte as someone suggested on the last page. They'll want something long term but I can completely understand anyone who thinks a manager usually associated with bouncing from club to club could be the right shout when a lot of these 'project' managers are relatively unproven and coming into find another man's squad, which they might struggle to make their own. I think I'm for it too myself because I can see the first few years of Klopp being pretty transitional on the field. That's not to say we can't win big honours because we obviously can.

It's why I think Emery might actually be a really good shout. Doesn't have league success barring one title with PSG after they'd had a record summer spend, so pretty hard to judge that, but he's done a fine job in this country with Villa and even his stint with Arsenal saw them go to a Europa League Final (which they'd probably have gotten to again if they hadn't sacked him). Four Europa League wins, probably taking Villa to a European trophy, and a very respectable Champions League campaign with Villarreal beating some good sides along the way. I don't think he'd tinker with things too much even if our styles of play aren't identical. Another top shout for me would be Inzaghi even though I don't think you'll get him out of Italy. Another who's proven he can come into a decent looking side and make it better with tangible achievements already on his record in League/Cup/Europe.

Think they will get Amorim sorted now, but interested in seeing if there'd be any outside shouts. I mentioned Slot from Feyenoord last night whose name has surprisingly gone under the radar a bit with Rawk's resident nerds on this thread. The job he's done with them has been very similar to Amorim and has done a bit better in Europe. Can't see us dipping our toes into South America because why would we! Also language barriers most likely. The Palmeiras fella has done very well plus is a young coach, and I was surprised to see Gallardo who was at River Plate is in Saudi Arabia now.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6567 on: March 29, 2024, 01:48:57 pm »
Top 4 might be achievable now with a different manager, but unless FSG start spending a lot more, that will change very quickly if the new man isn’t an exceptional talent who punches above his weight. We can’t expect to remain a club with top four aspirations indefinitely while spending less than Villa and West Ham.
think your under estimating the squad we have

we should challenge we have far better midfield than when we won the league

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6568 on: March 29, 2024, 01:49:55 pm »
https://theanalyst.com/eu/2024/03/ruben-amorim-sporting-impact-demand/

He's turned Gyökeres into an elite striker, Darwin will continue to grow under him.

This is the only question mark really, his teams play quite slow, otherwise very similar styles.

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6569 on: March 29, 2024, 01:49:59 pm »
If you're an Arsenal fan, you have to be loving this. City might be hit with charges and suffer because of that. Even then they will have a dip once Guardiola leaves in a year. We will suffer with losing Klopp and not replacing him.

Arsenal themselves are pretty well set. They have an elite manager and a talented squad. I'll be shocked if they don't end up with at least 2 titles out of the next 5 seasons. They certainly will break their barren run soon (as long as Arteta doesn't leave for elsewhere)

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6570 on: March 29, 2024, 01:51:43 pm »
Mentioning South America the only one that comes to mind in Diniz

Slot is a good shout in that his job seems somewhat similar to Amorim, except I think Feyenoord have had more recent success than Amorim.

Mentioned earlier myself Roger Schmidt and Marco Rose perhaps.

Michel and Girona? Inzaghi at Inter? Hoeness at Stuttgart?

Spalletti probably isn't a good fit.

I THINK I may prefer Frank to De Zerbi, maybe just. I don't know honestly I am torn - personality wise he seems closer to Klopp but his tactics of course leave a lot to be desired, but he has switched up. I don't know

Offline Disintegration

• Legacy Fan
  • Kicking Against The Pricks
    • Attempted blog, didn't last long. As always.
« Reply #6571 on: March 29, 2024, 01:52:16 pm »
think your under estimating the squad we have

we should challenge we have far better midfield than when we won the league

Not underestimating it as it is now, but insufficient investment will lead to a drop off without a manager close to Klopp’s level.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6572 on: March 29, 2024, 01:52:23 pm »
Its amazing with him, smart attire and a supposed love of all the sophisticated things and people just swoon for him. His Liverpool love in and legendary status is overplayed.

He's obviously an excellent manager, one of best two potential replacements we could have gone for, but he's also definitely flavour of the month due to his currently undefeated run, meanwhile Amorim's Sporting have only dropped two more points. He's a very strong contender but it's not all or nothing, other candidates should be capable of doing an excellent job and are better suited to our current squad.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6573 on: March 29, 2024, 01:52:47 pm »

Arsenal themselves are pretty well set. They have an elite manager

Yerrrrr what?

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6574 on: March 29, 2024, 01:53:21 pm »
Fair play Xabi lad, shows both loyalty and personal risk if he stays at Leverkusen.

He's basically backing himself to challenge Bayern again and make decent headway in the Champions League.

He's not daft enough to think there'll be a job waiting at Madrid season after next if it all goes tits up.

Absolutely. He has only gone up in my estimation. I don’t believe he’s just holding out for the Madrid job, I think it’s a case of someone who has his career path mapped out and isn’t going to jump at the first big opportunity. Or even necessarily the second.

We’ve talked a lot about the connection he has with Liverpool but it’s clear that he has developed a great connection with Leverkusen too. It’s a fantastic place for him to continue his development as a manager.

I’m really excited to follow his progress. Chances are he won’t repeat what he has achieved this season but it will be really interesting to see if he can go toe-to-toe with Bayern again. He’ll also be a factor in them being able to keep hold of players like Wirtz, who clearly loves playing for him, so maybe we won’t see the summer exodus some are predicting.

Disappointing for us, of course, but I feel the club is in good hands right now and we will make the right appointment. There is no one to replace Klopp but I’m optimistic that there are exciting times ahead for us.

In the meantime, back to enjoying the last couple of months we have left with Klopp and not worrying about next season.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6575 on: March 29, 2024, 01:53:58 pm »
https://theanalyst.com/eu/2024/03/ruben-amorim-sporting-impact-demand/

He's turned Gyökeres into an elite striker, Darwin will continue to grow under him.

This is the only question mark really, his teams play quite slow, otherwise very similar styles.

I thought some of the underlying numbers for Gyorkeres were that he is currently over performing his X.G quite significantly, which may be a bit of a sign of someone having a purple patch.

Not going to diss his attack, he scores fucking loads his teams, but Gyorkeres I thought he looked a bit Lacazette like, as someone put in the transfer thread

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #6576 on: March 29, 2024, 01:54:00 pm »
If you're an Arsenal fan, you have to be loving this. City might be hit with charges and suffer because of that. Even then they will have a dip once Guardiola leaves in a year. We will suffer with losing Klopp and not replacing him.

Arsenal themselves are pretty well set. They have an elite manager and a talented squad. I'll be shocked if they don't end up with at least 2 titles out of the next 5 seasons. They certainly will break their barren run soon (as long as Arteta doesn't leave for elsewhere)

Excellent bait

Offline Onward Liverpudlian

• Kopite
« Reply #6577 on: March 29, 2024, 01:54:06 pm »
Bottler! He is young though - only 42. Madrid fans on twitter think they have 'owned' us again.

Now we can target an older, more experienced manager who has "been there, done that!" who will grow to love our club like Klopp does.

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6578 on: March 29, 2024, 01:54:11 pm »
Why not go down the Arsenal route and hire a highly regarded assistant from somewhere? The options are so grim, we should be possibly think left field.

We could look closer to home at our own assistant in Ljinders.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6579 on: March 29, 2024, 01:55:19 pm »
2 years running Arsenal have challenged for the title with Senor Lego Head in charge, pretty sure he had virtually no management experience before the Arse job. They bought well, certainly splashed the cash, stuck with him and are now seeing the fruits of that. Then you look at those mutants in the red half of Manchester, they without any sort of strategy just threw big money at a bunch of players and it came back to bite em in the ass so far. Point is, the club have done brilliantly well in bringing back Edwards, Hughes is highly rated, the structure is in place, our squad is up there with the best in the league, bring the best man in for the top job that is available and continue to sign top players like we do and unearth gems from the academy like we do. I get the Alonso news is disappointing but we’re in a much better place than when Klopp joined us.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6580 on: March 29, 2024, 01:55:35 pm »
Yerrrrr what?

He definitely has a lot to prove in terms of winning things and quite frankly i feel he needs to win either the league or CL this season if he is to prove he is good enough. He has a good side that lacks some firepower but he has spent a lot to get to this point.

That said, we are having a discussion on managers being good based on underlying numbers and if thats the case then arsenal’s are the best of the lot.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #6581 on: March 29, 2024, 01:56:41 pm »

There's only about three elite managers right now and he's not even in the category below them. I don't think they're guaranteed anything and still hope City take him after Pep which I think could end up in flames quite quickly. If he can get this Arsenal side to over 80 points again he'll genuinely have done a good job but you're only elite if you win the big ones.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6582 on: March 29, 2024, 01:57:57 pm »
Excellent bait

He's totally revolutionised the club. They were a laughing stock for 5 or 6 years.

They are now a top team and genuine title challengers.

Watch a game of Arsenal and you can see the elite coaching job he has done.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6583 on: March 29, 2024, 01:58:42 pm »
He's totally revolutionised the club. They were a laughing stock for 5 or 6 years.

He is only elite if he wins the league or CL this season. He has been there a while now and has spent a lot of money.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6584 on: March 29, 2024, 01:58:47 pm »
That's disappointing if alonso turned us down.

Didn't like the way he left us either . Pretty much threw rafa under a bus

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6585 on: March 29, 2024, 01:59:31 pm »
For what it's worth:

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6586 on: March 29, 2024, 02:00:06 pm »
I thought some of the underlying numbers for Gyorkeres were that he is currently over performing his X.G quite significantly, which may be a bit of a sign of someone having a purple patch.

Not going to diss his attack, he scores fucking loads his teams, but Gyorkeres I thought he looked a bit Lacazette like, as someone put in the transfer thread

Maybe, his teams are the most clincal in the league currently and it looks like Amorin likes a no.9 like Nunez who our attack should be built around.

I know Arsenal and Chelsea are both looking into Gyorkeres quite heavily.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #6587 on: March 29, 2024, 02:00:48 pm »

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6588 on: March 29, 2024, 02:02:19 pm »
For what it's worth:

Can you map the Leeds manager on that please.

Offline Robotforaday

• Fifty shades off white
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6589 on: March 29, 2024, 02:02:38 pm »
Going to be Bielsa with Sammy Lee as his translator. Nailed on.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6590 on: March 29, 2024, 02:04:22 pm »

I think this is the only way to get over Alonso not joining us, a good old fucking pile on!

Personally I think Alonso didn't have the balls, shit himself, plus he fluked his way passed fucking Quack quack from Azerbaijan.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6591 on: March 29, 2024, 02:05:18 pm »
Hopefully with Alonso out of the running we move pretty quickly with Amorim. I think there's a big drop off after those two, with the possible exception of Nagelsmann who seems to have issues off the field rather than on it.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #6592 on: March 29, 2024, 02:05:44 pm »

Always felt the Rafa forced him out was a bit overplayed. He didn’t reluctantly leave us for Real. And some of us don’t forget that 04/05 bouffant.

Offline Evil Red

• Kemlynite
« Reply #6593 on: March 29, 2024, 02:05:46 pm »
WTF has he done to warrant even being mentioned as a potential Liverpool manager

Calm down calm down  ;D Early April's fools joke mate!

Amorim looking like the strong favourite now. Don't know much about him to be honest but seems to have Klopp like charisma. Now we have Edwards back I feel better about us getting best possible available candidate whoever that may be. Wouldn't be my first choice but I'm not entirety against De Zerbi. Would be interesting to see what he could do with better players at his disposal. He certainly knows how to get the best out of Alexis who will obviously be one of our most important players going forward.

Offline Funkster

• Main Stander
« Reply #6594 on: March 29, 2024, 02:06:11 pm »

Eh, Rafa tried to boot him out the door for Gareth f*cking Barry!!! I wouldn’t blame him for throwing Rafa under a bus!
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Bob Paisley

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6595 on: March 29, 2024, 02:08:04 pm »
Well I hope for Xabi's sake things don't go tits up for him. By the time he feels ready to grace us with his presence we will have likely moved on.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6596 on: March 29, 2024, 02:09:36 pm »
Can you map the Leeds manager on that please.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6597 on: March 29, 2024, 02:09:44 pm »
Eh, Rafa tried to boot him out the door for Gareth f*cking Barry!!! I wouldn’t blame him for throwing Rafa under a bus!

I remember it well. Xabi had a shit season so Rafa decided to move him on. When everything fell through, Alonso decided to have the season of his life so Real would come knocking.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #6599 on: March 29, 2024, 02:10:56 pm »
2 years running Arsenal have challenged for the title with Senor Lego Head in charge, pretty sure he had virtually no management experience before the Arse job. They bought well, certainly splashed the cash, stuck with him and are now seeing the fruits of that. Then you look at those mutants in the red half of Manchester, they without any sort of strategy just threw big money at a bunch of players and it came back to bite em in the ass so far. Point is, the club have done brilliantly well in bringing back Edwards, Hughes is highly rated, the structure is in place, our squad is up there with the best in the league, bring the best man in for the top job that is available and continue to sign top players like we do and unearth gems from the academy like we do. I get the Alonso news is disappointing but we’re in a much better place than when Klopp joined us.

It also helps that lego head worked under Guardiola for a while at City, so he's had an education for sure (as much as I detest Guardiola). I actually think Arteta is a shoe in to replace Pep when he finally jacks it in there, especially if he bags a title with the Arse. It's an interesting point you make regarding the red side of Manchester, which has monumentally fucked up in the post-Fergie era by doing exactly the wrong thing in not backing Moyes when they were trying to rebuild an ancient squad. Arteta's experience shows that by giving a manager time they can build something, which is completely lacking in the modern game, and I really admire what he's done with the Arse over the past couple of years (I thought last year was going to be a one-off). It's clear that FSG need to look at that as an example of how to manage the post-Klopp transition rather than the clowns along the M62, and why our new manager will need time and crucially our support as fans.