Author Topic: The Title Race 2023/24- Jurgen's Last Dance  (Read 243572 times)

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Title Race 2023/24- Jurgen's Last Dance
« Reply #1480 on: March 31, 2024, 07:04:01 pm »
I'm hoping that both clubs get through their CL quarter finals & have 2 titanic battles in the semi's. This is where a strong mentality is needed, & as of yet we've not seen it from Arteta's Arsenal. The pressure on him will be enormous next season if he fails to put a trophy in the cabinet come May.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1481 on: March 31, 2024, 07:04:40 pm »
Abu Dhabi haven't won 8 games in a row in the league all season. They aren't going to do it now.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1482 on: March 31, 2024, 07:04:55 pm »
I'm hoping that both clubs get through their CL quarter finals & have 2 titanic battles in the semi's. This is where a strong mentality is needed, & as of yet we've not seen it from Arteta's Arsenal. The pressure on him will be enormous next season if he fails to put a trophy in the cabinet come May.
I hope they play each other in the semis. What's the draw?
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1483 on: March 31, 2024, 07:06:53 pm »
I hope they play each other in the semis. What's the draw?

City vs Real
Arsenal vs Bayern

The winners of those two play each other.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1484 on: March 31, 2024, 07:07:12 pm »

Perfect day for us. It’s in our hands so just focus on winning one game at a time. No nonsense talk of scoring buckets against Sheff Utd for goal difference. Just get it won and give players a rest where we can. If we’re relentless over the next few I can see Arsenal and possibly City dropping off and focussing on Europe but the beauty of our position now is not having to obsess about their games.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1485 on: March 31, 2024, 07:08:14 pm »
City vs Real
Arsenal vs Bayern

The winners of those two play each other.
I knew the quarters but haven't watched the semis. So it's possible!
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #1486 on: March 31, 2024, 07:08:38 pm »

Not only that Arsenal's legs will go.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1487 on: March 31, 2024, 07:10:00 pm »
Perfect day for us. It’s in our hands so just focus on winning one game at a time. No nonsense talk of scoring buckets against Sheff Utd for goal difference. Just get it won and give players a rest where we can. If we’re relentless over the next few I can see Arsenal and possibly City dropping off and focussing on Europe but the beauty of our position now is not having to obsess about their games.
Yeah, let's just win. The GD talk is disrespectful to our opponents.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #1488 on: March 31, 2024, 07:10:51 pm »
One step at a time,  Sweet Jesus.

It's Easter and couldn't resist.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1489 on: March 31, 2024, 07:13:00 pm »
Liverpool: Sheff Utd (H), Man Utd (A), Crystal Palace (H), Fulham (A), Everton (A), West Ham (A), Spurs (H), Aston Villa (A), Wolves (H)

Arsenal: Luton (H), Brighton (A), Aston Villa (H), Wolves (A), Chelsea (H), Spurs (A), Bournemouth (H), Man Utd (A), Everton (H)

Man City: Aston Villa (H), Crystal Palace (A), Luton Town (H), Brighton (A), Nottm Forest (A), Wolves (H), Fulham (A), West Ham (H)

Add the EL and CL matches to this.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1490 on: March 31, 2024, 07:15:06 pm »
Jota could be the difference here.

City will finish on 91 if they win remaining 9.

It’s possible they do that but don’t think they have won that many in a row this season ?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1491 on: March 31, 2024, 07:17:50 pm »
Jota could be the difference here.

City will finish on 91 if they win remaining 9.

It’s possible they do that but don’t think they have won that many in a row this season ?

They can do it but basically their room for manoeuvre is gone. I fully believe they will need to win all their games. 

Online skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1492 on: March 31, 2024, 07:20:33 pm »
Hope we can start faster in some our tougher matches as to not give sides hope.  One impressive thing Arsenal did in recent weeks was to start fast (like at WHU) to put teams away.

Our away fixtures look tough, and the longer we keep them in the game, the more belief they'll have.  Also need to do a better job of killing off games.  Definitely don't need to sit back up 2-1, but you've only got a window to take risks and chances to score the third before you have to close up shop.  Need to take those chances when we get them.
King Kenny.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1493 on: March 31, 2024, 07:23:42 pm »
They can do it but basically their room for manoeuvre is gone. I fully believe they will need to win all their games. 

I think the next two games give a clearer indication of what is required.

Arsenal and us should win midweek but think Villa can cause City issues then they have Palace away in early KO.

Arsenal away at Brighton won’t be easy either. They have beaten Spurs, Newcastle and drawn with us.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1494 on: March 31, 2024, 07:26:18 pm »
We really need to take the Goodison and Old Trafford games seriously this season. Not doing so in 18/19 was our downfall. We've been given a massive boost today. Don't fuck it up.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1495 on: March 31, 2024, 07:27:59 pm »
We really need to take the Goodison and Old Trafford games seriously this season. Not doing so in 18/19 was our downfall. We've been given a massive boost today. Don't fuck it up.

I don’t think you can say we didn’t take them seriously when we finished with that points total.

It’s one game at a time and key we think like that.

Offline Heritage

• Main Stander
  • Boot Room Fanatic
« Reply #1496 on: March 31, 2024, 07:28:59 pm »
Lads...........................................

Honestly I think we're gonna win the fucking league.

Only reason we aren't clear at the top right now is refs, and the performances vs. Luton, and Arsenal & United over Christmas period.

9 games left, in our hands, and city and arsenal both have harder fixtures (including CL and FA cup for city).

When we get our first choice players back and everyone returns to form from injury we are gonna be so fucking clear, you can already see that our players that have been returning from injury have had their form picking up.

Let's see if United, Everton, Spurs can stop us (and others, no disrespect). I doubt they can.

Arsenal and City will absolutely be dropping points in the run-in.
🔥97🔥

🏆 x 42

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #1497 on: March 31, 2024, 07:31:33 pm »
I'd say 7 wins from 9 would leave us very unlucky to not win league
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1498 on: March 31, 2024, 07:32:06 pm »
I don’t think you can say we didn’t take them seriously when we finished with that points total.

It’s one game at a time and key we think like that.

What a bizarre response. Are you saying that playing with the attitude that draws were ok in those games was the correct attitude because in most seasons that points total would have been enough to win the league (it wasn't that season), or are you saying that getting draws in those games was fine even in retrospect? Neither makes any sense.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1499 on: March 31, 2024, 07:33:19 pm »
I'd say 7 wins from 9 would leave us very unlucky to not win league

7 wins and 2 draws would put us on 90.

City can get 91.

Arsenal can get 92.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1500 on: March 31, 2024, 07:33:51 pm »
We can afford a few draws, no way that Arsenal side are winning out from here and I doubt City will either.
7 wins 2 draws for 90 points will do it

I reckon so too. Arsenal will still drop points again. City might not but we can get away with one draw and finish above them, so chances are they may slip up somewhere else and give us another bit of wriggle room. That has me a tiny bit more relaxed but it only takes a draw in one game to be tense as anything again.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1501 on: March 31, 2024, 07:33:51 pm »
We took them too seriously in the past by building ourselves up too much. It's a football game and we're better at football.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1502 on: March 31, 2024, 07:34:17 pm »
What a bizarre response. Are you saying that playing with the attitude that draws were ok in those games was the correct attitude because in most seasons that points total would have been enough to win the league (it wasn't that season), or are you saying that getting draws in those games was fine even in retrospect? Neither makes any sense.

How’s it a bizarre response ? We never play with an attitude to draw games and we didn’t do that against them in that season.

Offline StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1503 on: March 31, 2024, 07:34:26 pm »
We took them too seriously in the past by building ourselves up too much. It's a football game and we're better at football.

Well, precisely. But all that matters now is the result.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1505 on: March 31, 2024, 07:35:37 pm »
Spurs hood the key to all this I reckon.

Everyone has to play them. And everyone has to play Villa. We played Brighton today and they play the other two. I’d be incredibly surprised if the top 3 won all of those games.

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1506 on: March 31, 2024, 07:35:40 pm »
Lads...........................................

Honestly I think we're gonna win the fucking league.

Only reason we aren't clear at the top right now is refs, and the performances vs. Luton, and Arsenal & United over Christmas period.

9 games left, in our hands, and city and arsenal both have harder fixtures (including CL and FA cup for city).

When we get our first choice players back and everyone returns to form from injury we are gonna be so fucking clear, you can already see that our players that have been returning from injury have had their form picking up.

Let's see if United, Everton, Spurs can stop us (and others, no disrespect). I doubt they can.

Arsenal and City will absolutely be dropping points in the run-in.

Arsenal maybe, not so sure about City though. Hopefully competing on 3 fronts might derail them in the league.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1507 on: March 31, 2024, 07:35:47 pm »
Just saw in Jurgen’s presser that Curtis is in full training and available. Doubt he’ll start on Thursday as he’ll need to build minutes but that is huge for our midfield and our ability to keep Mac, Endo and Szobo fresh.

Offline StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1508 on: March 31, 2024, 07:36:20 pm »
How’s it a bizarre response ? We never play with an attitude to draw games and we didn’t do that against them in that season.

It's a bizarre response because you're saying that results that cost us a league title weren't a big deal. We know wins in games against teams we're far better than would have won us a league title. However, our record at both grounds is poor relative to the quality of the squads. Does that make sense?

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1509 on: March 31, 2024, 07:37:45 pm »
Match or beat their points total from here is all we need to do. Bring it on.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1510 on: March 31, 2024, 07:38:39 pm »
Spurs hood the key to all this I reckon.

Everyone has to play them. And everyone has to play Villa. We played Brighton today and they play the other two. I’d be incredibly surprised if the top 3 won all of those games.

It's a shame it's not a weekend later or something and Spurs v us are like "hehe, we aren't letting Arsenal win the league", we never seem to get that go our way, it's always against us with Utd or Everton not trying v someone.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1511 on: March 31, 2024, 07:39:51 pm »
It's a bizarre response because you're saying that results that cost us a league title weren't a big deal. We know wins in games against teams we're far better than would have won us a league title. However, our record at both grounds is poor relative to the quality of the squads. Does that make sense?

Our record at Goodison under Klopp is poor but those draws happen in February.

Also, we won the title the following year and took something like 110/114 points over a certain period with those two matches being draws.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 07:41:42 pm by Nick110581 »

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1512 on: March 31, 2024, 07:43:23 pm »

A bit revisionist this.

In that game at Old Trafford we had about 3 players off injured in the first 20 minutes, United shirhiuses their way to a draw.

The one at Goodison Salah missed a sitter and Robertson was shouting ‘don’t fucking listen to them’ or words to that effect when the shite were celebrating their point.

They were just tricky games that petered out into drab draws which gave the impression we were alright with the results, I don’t think it was a case of us settling for either result.

Offline StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1513 on: March 31, 2024, 07:44:24 pm »
Our record at Goodison under Klopp is poor but these draws happen in February.

Also, we won the title the following year and took something like 110/114 points over a certain period with those two matches being draws.

Sorry, would you mind explaining what you mean by this?

And it was the difference between one title and two. I know which I'd prefer. Seasons are played in 38 game stretches. It's very simple; if we'd won at Old Trafford and Goodison (both games in 21/22 were excellent examples of how to approach those games) we'd have won the title in 18/19. We're now in a very similar situation. Considering what you've said, presumably you'd take draws in those games?

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1514 on: March 31, 2024, 07:49:15 pm »
Sorry, would you mind explaining what you mean by this?

And it was the difference between one title and two. I know which I'd prefer. Seasons are played in 38 game stretches. It's very simple; if we'd won at Old Trafford and Goodison (both games in 21/22 were excellent examples of how to approach those games) we'd have won the title in 18/19. We're now in a very similar situation. Considering what you've said, presumably you'd take draws in those games?

You seem to be moaning that we didn't win the League when we got 97 points because we draw against two sides in February.

We never play for draws and won't do that this season.

Offline StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1515 on: March 31, 2024, 07:54:07 pm »
You seem to be moaning that we didn't win the League when we got 97 points because we draw against two sides in February.

We never play for draws and won't do that this season.

I'm not suggesting that we play for draws. Is that much not obvious, or do you have zero intention of replying in good faith? You're perpetuating the weird fallacy that we've aimed for a certain number of points without the knowledge of what teams around us are doing, rather than analysing the title race as a constantly shifting thing. This, it should really go without saying, isn't how it works

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1516 on: March 31, 2024, 07:56:21 pm »
I'm not suggesting that we play for draws. Is that much not obvious, or do you have zero intention of replying in good faith? You're perpetuating the weird fallacy that we've aimed for a certain number of points without the knowledge of what teams around us are doing, rather than analysing the title race as a constantly shifting thing. This, it should really go without saying, isn't how it works

I genuinely have no idea what point you are even making now.

Let’s look forward and not backwards.

Offline Heritage

• Main Stander
  • Boot Room Fanatic
« Reply #1517 on: March 31, 2024, 07:57:58 pm »
Arsenal maybe, not so sure about City though. Hopefully competing on 3 fronts might derail them in the league.

For City I'm more so thinking of the fixture congestion. They have midweek games through the entire month of April (2 of which are against Real Madrid) and they look tired. The big banana peel for them is Spurs away. Traditionally they lose this fixture. Also they have picked up 0 wins against top 5 teams this season and they have Villa at home, and are away to Brighton.
🔥97🔥

🏆 x 42

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #1518 on: March 31, 2024, 07:58:52 pm »

:D

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #1519 on: March 31, 2024, 08:00:56 pm »

Both teams treat it as a cup final is the problem. You have to match the battle and the intensity of the crowd first and foremost.

Villa and Spurs playing all 3 teams seems key as well.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season