Author Topic: The Serial Podcasts - 3rd series out now (April 2017)  (Read 29552 times)

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
Re: The Serial Podcasts - 3rd series out now (April 2017)
« Reply #280 on: October 11, 2022, 07:56:38 pm »
@LeeOSanderlin. (B'more Sun)
DNA testing of Hae Min Lee’s shoes excluded Syed, Mosby says. She says the shoes were never tested before.
The shoes came back with DNA to be clear — just not Syed’s
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: October 12, 2022, 03:43:18 am »
Thanks everyone for alerting me to this excellent podcast, I listened to the whole thing plus addenda in the last fortnight. That latest Baltimore Sun article is mind blowing. How do you eliminate a paedo rapist with close ties to Adnan as a suspect? This show infuriates with the injustice, but it's a joy to see real investigative journalism at work. I hope Hae's family gets justice at last.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #282 on: October 13, 2022, 03:37:45 pm »
Thanks everyone for alerting me to this excellent podcast, I listened to the whole thing plus addenda in the last fortnight. That latest Baltimore Sun article is mind blowing. How do you eliminate a paedo rapist with close ties to Adnan as a suspect? This show infuriates with the injustice, but it's a joy to see real investigative journalism at work. I hope Hae's family gets justice at last.

Check out Undisclosed. Rabia (who took Adnans case to SK) does a much deeper dive on the case with two lawyers. They eventually find their rhythm as podcasters because initially they very much aren't

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: November 1, 2022, 03:51:57 am »
Just finished S-Town last night, I think I may have enjoyed this even more than Serial s1, just a wonderful, bittersweet tale with an unforgettable central character (the supporting cast is brilliant, too).

Gonna tackle Undisclosed at some point, looks like plenty of content to wade through so it's a bit intimidating. Not as much as The 45th, which looks like it'd take years! Has anyone listened to that and can recommend selected episodes?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #284 on: November 1, 2022, 02:43:59 pm »
If anyone listened to Down the Hill, a new episode is out as there has been a major development.

If you haven’t listened, it’s about the unsolved murder of two girls. It’s a quick listen, only eleven episodes. It’s an okay podcast, but the hosts were slightly off putting for me. They were trying too hard, I think.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #285 on: November 3, 2022, 10:52:26 am »
Just finished S-Town last night, I think I may have enjoyed this even more than Serial s1, just a wonderful, bittersweet tale with an unforgettable central character (the supporting cast is brilliant, too).

Gonna tackle Undisclosed at some point, looks like plenty of content to wade through so it's a bit intimidating. Not as much as The 45th, which looks like it'd take years! Has anyone listened to that and can recommend selected episodes?

Not really, its kind of out of date now. Maybe the lead up to the election and around the January 6th  but aside from that it's Sarah and Rabia wondering what the fuck he's doing.

The early episodes of Undisclosed are on Adnan/Hae. They later go on to cover other cases so it's about how invested you are in Colin/Sarah and Rabia.

Ultimately I really like them, but understand it may not be for everyone

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: November 4, 2022, 12:04:24 am »
nice one, thanks

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: November 5, 2022, 03:14:50 am »
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/podcasts/trojan-horse-affair.html#listen

Haven’t seen this mentioned - Brian Reade (S-Town) teamed up with a Brummie reporter to cover the Trojan Horse affair. I'm nearly through the first episode, the accents aren't as endearing and there's only one John B. McLemore, but I'm interested to see where this goes. Contains a snippet from BBC Panorama in 1993 about Pakistani immigrants; based on today's standards you'd think the BBC was a third reich propaganda outlet, it's quite jarring!

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: November 11, 2022, 02:06:34 am »
Finished Trojan Horse today. At times it feels its greatest value is as an insight into the journalistic process, but the story itself has plenty of implications - it didn't really need Brian to articulate the parallels between the Trojan Horse letter and the Protocols of the Elders of Zion; that was already quite apparent from the words and actions of the players. Definitely worth a listen, especially for Brits to whom I assume the Trojan Horse affair was more familiar than it was to me.

Offline Bastion Of Invincibility

• Anny Roader
« Reply #289 on: June 7, 2023, 12:50:04 am »
Found this a compelling essay on why Adnan was likely guilty and wrongfully exonerated.
https://quillette.com/2023/05/22/the-wrongful-exoneration-of-adnan-syed-i/
Article also given a seal of approval by none other than David Simon of The Wire fame.
https://twitter.com/AoDespair/status/1664197371490598913?t=MJbArKLn4MEVzRVWGBtS7A&s=19

« Last Edit: June 7, 2023, 12:56:42 am by Bastion Of Invincibility »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: June 7, 2023, 07:22:08 am »
Found this a compelling essay on why Adnan was likely guilty and wrongfully exonerated.
https://quillette.com/2023/05/22/the-wrongful-exoneration-of-adnan-syed-i/
Article also given a seal of approval by none other than David Simon of The Wire fame.
https://twitter.com/AoDespair/status/1664197371490598913?t=MJbArKLn4MEVzRVWGBtS7A&s=19

Yeah I read that the other day. Turns out Serial was horrendously one sided, and now he's walking around free having killed someone. Great job, true crime fans.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #291 on: June 7, 2023, 10:49:20 am »
Yeah, I'm not so sure

That article seemed to put faith in Jay that shouldn't really exist. It also seemingly thinks that Baltimore PD couldn't possibly have been shaping or feeding information to Jay.

And "likely guilty" based on the testimony of a liar like Jay is not really a solid conviction in my mind.

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: June 8, 2023, 12:47:21 am »
Yeah, I'm working my way through the article and I'm not overly convinced. My thoughts while listening to the podcast were that the circumstances around the death were unfavourable to Adnan and the prosecution case was very plausible, but you could also construct a narrative where an adolescent with jealousy issues was being a bit weird about his ex, which happens every day. It just didn't strike me as beyond reasonable doubt. But I will keep reading.

Worth keeping in mind that Quillette is a right wing magazine that's considered part of the Intellectual Dark Web. That doesn't mean it should be dismissed, but you also need to be wary of its seductive language. There's plenty of examples already where the author says, "granted, X does work in Adnan's favour, but Y..." which might lead you to think he is giving fair consideration to your point of view, but can also be manipulative. Always worth stopping to consider whether Y > X.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/quillette/

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #293 on: June 8, 2023, 06:07:22 am »
Yeah, I'm working my way through the article and I'm not overly convinced. My thoughts while listening to the podcast were that the circumstances around the death were unfavourable to Adnan and the prosecution case was very plausible, but you could also construct a narrative where an adolescent with jealousy issues was being a bit weird about his ex, which happens every day. It just didn't strike me as beyond reasonable doubt. But I will keep reading.

Worth keeping in mind that Quillette is a right wing magazine that's considered part of the Intellectual Dark Web. That doesn't mean it should be dismissed, but you also need to be wary of its seductive language. There's plenty of examples already where the author says, "granted, X does work in Adnan's favour, but Y..." which might lead you to think he is giving fair consideration to your point of view, but can also be manipulative. Always worth stopping to consider whether Y > X.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/quillette/

Hang on, right wing magazine that does lean to think a Muslim man is guilty of murder over the prospect of the police botching an investigation?

Yeah I'll file that along with the Right Wing media here having a pop at Harry for his choice of bride.

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: August 6, 2023, 09:56:43 am »
Just finished The Coldest Case in Laramie, the latest from the Serial stable and a return to the "single murder mystery" style of season one, this time for an unsolved 1985 murder. Although maybe the plot itself lacks depth, I still found it gave some interesting insights into the deceptiveness of human memory and the interrogation process. As always these things have to be well paced to have the necessary impact, and Serial nails it again in that respect. I think this is their best since S Town.