Author Topic: Sarah Everard* Update Jan 2023 - Met Police rapist.  (Read 72908 times)

Online Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Sarah Everard
« Reply #160 on: March 12, 2021, 09:13:34 pm »
I think we all know the answer to this, don’t we? Clear as day just letting him do it so he doesn’t have to go to an actual prison.

You think the police are protecting a murderer because he's a policeman? Highly doubt that, they will be disgusted by him.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: March 12, 2021, 09:16:45 pm »
I think we all know the answer to this, don’t we? Clear as day just letting him do it so he doesn’t have to go to an actual prison.

In order to plead insanity (successfully) you’ll need actual medical evidence and a diagnosis  of a ‘disease of the mind,’ if he ends up going anywhere other than to prison (unless he actually is insane, of course) then it’s because they’ve bribed a doctor to give a false diagnosis.

Him being a bellend smashing his head into a wall might be insane behaviour, but on its own it will never amount to an insanity defence (especially as there’s no evidence he was doing this at the point of the crime being committed.)

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #162 on: March 12, 2021, 09:18:25 pm »
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 09:45:00 pm by Hij »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #163 on: March 12, 2021, 09:40:57 pm »
https://www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk/news/18586861.appeal-weekend-sexual-assault-near-clapham-common/

Mate just sent me this as well. Obviously there is a chance it isn't him but that description sounds very similar.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: March 12, 2021, 10:11:50 pm »

Jess Phillips; “Society has just accepted ‘dead women’”.

Just on this, one thing that has given me pause for reflection is that last Friday a 16 year old girl was stabbed to death in a takeaway in South Wales and her death seems to have raised little to no comment in either 'mainstream' or social media. If the media/society only becomes interested in male on female violence when certain circumstances are met then things are not going to improve any time soon.

To be clear, none of that is meant in any criticism of the discussion in this thread and especially not of Snail's OP which as others have said was a very tough read as a male (similar to others I've always been conscious of doing what I can to make women feel more at ease when I'm out walking at night but what her post really brought home in a way that I hadn't truly appreciated was the extent of my 'privilege' in being able to go for a run after dark, catch night buses alone, walk with headphones in and, exceptional circumstances aside, be generally able to move around in public with no anxiety or fear). It was just something that made me think.   

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #165 on: March 12, 2021, 10:25:35 pm »
This horrific crime appears to have sparked a wider debate.  Sky quoting WHO stats showing one in three women  are subject to violence.  760m women have experienced physical or sexual violence.

Jess Phillips; “Society has just accepted ‘dead women’”.

I'm not going to derail my own thread like but it might be nice if Jess could start including transwomen when she talks about this stuff. I'll leave it there.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: March 12, 2021, 10:56:23 pm »
I'm not going to derail my own thread like but it might be nice if Jess could start including transwomen when she talks about this stuff. I'll leave it there.

If she left transwomen murder victims off her list then I agree that is really grim.

If the issue is with the language she used then for me she is onto a bit of a hiding to nothing. If she talks about "women and transwomen" then there will be people who criticise her for 'othering' the latter and not simply treating them as women.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #167 on: March 12, 2021, 11:04:56 pm »
If she left transwomen murder victims off her list then I agree that is really grim.

She did, and it's not the first time.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 11:07:06 pm by Snail »

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: March 12, 2021, 11:27:05 pm »
She did, and it's not the first time.

That's really awful. As per previous threads on trans issues there are certain aspects that I don't think are cut and dried. Maybe you, me and Jess Phillips have differing opinions on some of those. But the absolute bare minimum standard surely has to be giving murder victims the dignity and respect of using their identified gender at the time they passed away. I can't imagine how those people's family and friends are feeling seeing their deaths airbrushed out like that.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: March 13, 2021, 08:23:21 am »
You think the police are protecting a murderer because he's a policeman? Highly doubt that, they will be disgusted by him.

He'll stumble on the stairs next.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: March 13, 2021, 08:29:54 am »
I've found out today that WhatsApp do a live route map thing that means whoever you've sent it to can follow your movements so they know exactly where you, or your phone is if you're travelling home on your own.

I guess it's a start.

I don't know Debs, while this is obviously increasing security, it doesn't solve the underlying issue. And in a way I think it even re-inforces it, your sending this message that when you're female, you are extra vulnerable, and have to have other people (and often men in the form of concerned fathers or husbands) look after your safety. Like the lads in here that tell their wives not to go through the park at night, or that will pick them up from nights out. I fully understand why they do that, but at the same time they're saying "you're a girl, you need a man to look after you".
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: March 13, 2021, 09:20:36 am »
I don't know Debs, while this is obviously increasing security, it doesn't solve the underlying issue. And in a way I think it even re-inforces it, your sending this message that when you're female, you are extra vulnerable, and have to have other people (and often men in the form of concerned fathers or husbands) look after your safety. Like the lads in here that tell their wives not to go through the park at night, or that will pick them up from nights out. I fully understand why they do that, but at the same time they're saying "you're a girl, you need a man to look after you".

To be fair a lot of this is common sense.

I’m a fairly well built man and I wouldn’t walk through a park alone at night, I’d always take the ‘longer route’ home if it meant it was better lit and there were more people around, if I went on a night out somewhere I didn’t know, I’d get a taxi home. If I’m on a night out my girlfriend will want fairly regular updates as to my safety and confirmation I’ve gotten home (if I’m not staying at home that night.)

As ever with stuff like this, people let their (legitimate) outrage about things cloud their view. It’s always sensible to take those precautions, nobody is inhibiting anyone’s freedom by telling them not to take un-necessary risk and nobody is taking a callous approach to a serious issue by making the point that these risks will always be present.

The issue (in regards to this part of the problem) is when people take the next step and start blaming victims and making out it’s their ‘own fault’ for the way they dress, or the fact they’ve taken the risk, which it clearly isn’t, it’s the fault of the fucking prick that attacked them.

I think with this you’ve got 2 separate issues, on one hand you have people who set out to knowingly commit, at the very least sexual assault and possibly rape and murder, who know full well what they’re doing is wrong on all levels, and you have people who engage in various forms of sexual harassment and/or assault on a daily basis without even necessarily being aware that they’re doing it. I’m only 33 and I’ve noticed a fairly significant attitude change to what is acceptable in regards to behaviour from men toward women in my adult life, which is great as anything which makes people feel more comfortable can only be a good thing, I don’t, however, think that attitude shift is making them any safer as I don’t think the people whose attitudes are changing were ever going to be the ones committing those crimes. How you deal with the latter is the million dollar question, I suspect there’s a fair amount of criminological research into it and I suspect a lot of it comes down to childhood experiences and an attitude developed toward women by the perpetrator, how you go about fixing that, I’m not sure, but clearly we need to try.

Offline Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: March 13, 2021, 09:28:21 am »
The point I’m trying to make in this is it’s totally possible to be completely appreciative of the fact that that there’s a definite need for change, and that as a society there isn’t enough focus on this, whilst not accepting sweeping statements about ‘men.’ I read something earlier from the Green Party leader mentioning a 6PM curfew for men, I mean shit like that is ridiculous and doesn’t help anything.

A curfew on men isn't realistic and wouldn't ever be enforceable by law but I think it's being used as a rhetorical device to highlight how one sex has to take accountability for the violent tendencies of the other.

The suggestion of men's freedom being impinged upon because of the behaviour of a minority seems to have really upset a lot of blokes, without them realising the irony of that being actual, everyday, reality for women. There are so many ways in which our movement and behaviour is restricted; we have to think about where we walk, what time we go out, what clothes we wear, what our facial expression might be saying, what style we wear our hair, what shoes we have on...why should we have to consider these things all the time whilst men don't have to give them a second thought?

Shouting "not all men" is as helpful as shouting "all lives matter". Nobody is saying it's ALL men but it's NO women. No women are going around curb crawling blokes, no women are waiting down dark alleys to attack you, no women are masturbating publicly, no women are kidnapping young men off the streets, so why do women have to change the way they behave and men don't?

We always take the blame, we always take the responsibility, we always adjust our behaviours and it doesn't do a single thing to protect us. All it does is protect the perpetrators because the buck gets passed from men to women. If you think it's not fun being hypothetically held accountable for the violent behaviours of some men for a couple of days on twitter, imagine what it's like being actually held accountable every day in real life!
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #173 on: March 13, 2021, 09:33:23 am »
A curfew on men isn't realistic and wouldn't ever be enforceable by law but I think it's being used as a rhetorical device to highlight how one sex has to take accountability for the violent tendencies of the other.

The suggestion of men's freedom being impinged upon because of the behaviour of a minority seems to have really upset a lot of blokes, without them realising the irony of that being actual, everyday, reality for women. There are so many ways in which our movement and behaviour is restricted; we have to think about where we walk, what time we go out, what clothes we wear, what our facial expression might be saying, what style we wear our hair, what shoes we have on...why should we have to consider these things all the time whilst men don't have to give them a second thought?

Shouting "not all men" is as helpful as shouting "all lives matter". Nobody is saying it's ALL men but it's NO women. No women are going around curb crawling blokes, no women are waiting down dark alleys to attack you, no women are masturbating publicly, no women are kidnapping young men off the streets, so why do women have to change the way they behave and men don't?

We always take the blame, we always take the responsibility, we always adjust our behaviours and it doesn't do a single thing to protect us. All it does is protect the perpetrators because the buck gets passed from men to women. If you think it's not fun being hypothetically held accountable for the violent behaviours of some men for a couple of days on twitter, imagine what it's like being actually held accountable every day in real life!

Excellent post.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #174 on: March 13, 2021, 09:38:57 am »

Yes,  really good post.

It’s not all men, but it’s nearly all women, that’s what matters. The numbers are beyond shocking.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: March 13, 2021, 09:45:43 am »
Organisers of the vigil scheduled for tonight in London have announced the event is cancelled.  Appears national police chiefs council told forces across England and Wales they could not waive lockdown guidance after discussions with policing minister, Kit Malthouse.

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: March 13, 2021, 09:58:27 am »

I don’t disagree with much of that save for the second paragraph. As some who has been set on by 8 bouncers and genuinely thought they were going to kill me (they never were, but I wasn’t aware at the time) I can well assure you that I have to adjust and consider many of the things you list and many of my mates the same. Of course as men were unlikely to be sexually assaulted, but we’re not that unlikely to be attacked. As I said in my post above, I would never walk somewhere secluded after dark, I’d always take the longer route home etc, to me that’s just common sense, nobody’s freedom is being inhibited there, it’s just not un-necessarily exposing yourself to risk, I could shave 10 minutes off my walk home by walking down an alley but I don’t do it as there’s a well lit road option instead.

I certainly wasn’t trying to shout ‘not all men’ although I appreciate that the bit you’ve quoted does read that way. Rather, I’m not sure that it’s being handled by certain people in the best way. I think comments about a 6pm curfew (which of course wasn’t meant as a serious suggestion) is always going to steer the topic in a certain way, and I don’t think it’s a helpful direction.

Offline Koplass

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: March 13, 2021, 10:21:52 am »
This is it for me. The idea of what it is to be a man has been all wrong to me. I'll be honest, I grew up absolutely hating men due to various reasons, and I hated the model of masculinity pushed upon me by society. The thing is, thinking, feeling, caring and empathic men have long been frowned upon, and often by both sexes too. I have always identified far more with my supposed feminine side, probably because all the wise, knowledgeable, mature and sorted people I knew were female, and how they were resonated with me far more than the pathetically immature macho culture that is drummed into boys by society.

A very honest post! I think society fucks women over but it fucks men up.

A lot of blokes feel personally attacked when we talk about 'toxic masculinity' but they shouldn't, it's as unhelpful to men as it is to women. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to constantly have to deny your emotions or compete with your friends or not accept help. I've hypothesised for a while that part of the reason that male ex-partners are so dangerous to the women that they dated is because heterosexual men become very emotionally reliant on their partners, as they're often the only people they can open up to. Women might be heartbroken but they can talk to their friends or their sister or their mum, they have the kind of external support that men often don't. For some men, being dumped would be akin to being stranded at sea, and along with all of the Freudian ideas around possessing women as objects this can lead to extreme violence.

But how you address the pressure we put on men without pushing away all of the men who are attached to the idea of masculinity and alpha-ness, I don't know.   
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: March 13, 2021, 10:41:51 am »
To be fair a lot of this is common sense.

I’m a fairly well built man and I wouldn’t walk through a park alone at night, I’d always take the ‘longer route’ home if it meant it was better lit and there were more people around, if I went on a night out somewhere I didn’t know, I’d get a taxi home. If I’m on a night out my girlfriend will want fairly regular updates as to my safety and confirmation I’ve gotten home (if I’m not staying at home that night.)

As ever with stuff like this, people let their (legitimate) outrage about things cloud their view. It’s always sensible to take those precautions, nobody is inhibiting anyone’s freedom by telling them not to take un-necessary risk and nobody is taking a callous approach to a serious issue by making the point that these risks will always be present.

You are missing the point I made - it's not about common sense behaviour, it's about men feeling they have to protect women. It's the flipside of the idea that men control women.

I think with this you’ve got 2 separate issues, on one hand you have people who set out to knowingly commit, at the very least sexual assault and possibly rape and murder, who know full well what they’re doing is wrong on all levels, and you have people who engage in various forms of sexual harassment and/or assault on a daily basis without even necessarily being aware that they’re doing it. I’m only 33 and I’ve noticed a fairly significant attitude change to what is acceptable in regards to behaviour from men toward women in my adult life, which is great as anything which makes people feel more comfortable can only be a good thing, I don’t, however, think that attitude shift is making them any safer as I don’t think the people whose attitudes are changing were ever going to be the ones committing those crimes. How you deal with the latter is the million dollar question, I suspect there’s a fair amount of criminological research into it and I suspect a lot of it comes down to childhood experiences and an attitude developed toward women by the perpetrator, how you go about fixing that, I’m not sure, but clearly we need to try.

They are not separate issues. As Sian's opening post shows so excellently, it's a pyramid of escalation, that enables a culture where some men think their behaviour is acceptable and somehow even justified, all the way up to rape and murder.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: March 13, 2021, 10:52:29 am »
I was talking to my wife today about an incident about 5 years ago. I was driving home during summer when there was a sudden torrential rainstorm. The kind where you have to drive slowly because visibility is so bad. I saw a woman walking along a country road who'd been caught out without a coat so I stopped and asked her if she wanted a lift. She refused, saying 'naw, it's ok - I'm fine' while getting completely battered by the rain. I drove on a bit miffed because I felt, by her tones, she was making an assumption about me as a person when I was trying to be kind. 

It's only now I'm reflecting on how absolutely shit it is for women to be made feel that way. I was totally wrong to feel miffed (albeit only briefly). I'm sure she'd have loved to have gotten out of the rain, but was scared that taking a lift with a male stranger could lead to rape or her death. And society tells her that she's right to refuse the lift instead of actually addressing the issue.

Roles reversed, I have have the privileged position of being able to get in the car with no worry or thought that she would abduct me.

I walk in our local park alone all the time without giving it a thought. Whenever I get a taxi by myself I don't clock the reg number and share my live location info on whatsapp. I don't keep my car locked with the windows up on a hot day if I'm waiting in a quiet car park. I never feel like I have to ring someone while walking alone at night. I didn't know that 5 taps on my iphone lock button is the emergency services alarm.  These are all things my wife has to think about.

Offline Koplass

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: March 13, 2021, 10:53:48 am »
I don’t disagree with much of that save for the second paragraph. As some who has been set on by 8 bouncers and genuinely thought they were going to kill me (they never were, but I wasn’t aware at the time) I can well assure you that I have to adjust and consider many of the things you list and many of my mates the same. Of course as men were unlikely to be sexually assaulted, but we’re not that unlikely to be attacked. As I said in my post above, I would never walk somewhere secluded after dark, I’d always take the longer route home etc, to me that’s just common sense, nobody’s freedom is being inhibited there, it’s just not un-necessarily exposing yourself to risk, I could shave 10 minutes off my walk home by walking down an alley but I don’t do it as there’s a well lit road option instead.

I certainly wasn’t trying to shout ‘not all men’ although I appreciate that the bit you’ve quoted does read that way. Rather, I’m not sure that it’s being handled by certain people in the best way. I think comments about a 6pm curfew (which of course wasn’t meant as a serious suggestion) is always going to steer the topic in a certain way, and I don’t think it’s a helpful direction.

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you with the bouncers, that sounds terrifying!! Physical assaults of that kind are, thankfully, not something that women generally have to worry about but am I right in assuming it wasn't 8 female bouncers? I think you make a really good point, men can be just as worried or as vigilant as women (although judging by a lot of the posts I've read online recently, it's not quite on the same level) but who is it that men are afraid of? It's other men. We're trying to shift the focus to the perpetrators rather than the victims, and violence is an overwhelmingly male issue.

And for us, it's not just the acts of sexual violence but it's the harassment, it's the idea that at any point you could be made to feel ashamed, uncomfortable or frightened whilst walking down the street, that's definitely not something that men have to worry about.

If we did imagine a parallel universe in which men could be curfewed at 6pm I know every woman would feel a huge sense of relief and freedom. Would men feel the same way if women were curfewed at 6pm? It can't be right that one gender is of almost no threat to the other but has to take so much of the responsibility.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 10:56:00 am by Koplass »

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #181 on: March 13, 2021, 11:01:07 am »
Dress it up any way you want. Women are afraid to walk the streets on their own for fear of being attacked and/or killed by men. How do we stop it? By educating the male species to fucking desist! We all have a platform, as men, to inform our fellow species it's a no no to intimidate, victimise, prey, attack, kill the female of the species. Sorry, if this is a bit glib but after reading Sian's utterly convincing OP, there is only one answer and that's through man on man intervention
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Koplass

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: March 13, 2021, 11:08:32 am »
I was talking to my wife today about an incident about 5 years ago. I was driving home during summer when there was a sudden torrential rainstorm. The kind where you have to drive slowly because visibility is so bad. I saw a woman walking along a country road who'd been caught out without a coat so I stopped and asked her if she wanted a lift. She refused, saying 'naw, it's ok - I'm fine' while getting completely battered by the rain. I drove on a bit miffed because I felt, by her tones, she was making an assumption about me as a person when I was trying to be kind. 

It's only now I'm reflecting on how absolutely shit it is for women to be made feel that way. I was totally wrong to feel miffed (albeit only briefly). I'm sure she'd have loved to have gotten out of the rain, but was scared that taking a lift with a male stranger could lead to rape or her death. And society tells her that she's right to refuse the lift instead of actually addressing the issue.

Roles reversed, I have have the privileged position of being able to get in the car with no worry or thought that she would abduct me.

I walk in our local park alone all the time without giving it a thought. Whenever I get a taxi by myself I don't clock the reg number and share my live location info on whatsapp. I don't keep my car locked with the windows up on a hot day if I'm waiting in a quiet car park. I never feel like I have to ring someone while walking alone at night. I didn't know that 5 taps on my iphone lock button is the emergency services alarm.  These are all things my wife has to think about.

You totally get it. One of the best illustrations of this power imbalance I can remember seeing was during the Women's March that followed the #MeToo revelations. I saw a photo of a man who had turned up to the protest with almost no clothes on (just a pair of hot pants) and he was holding up a sign that said something along the lines of "I can walk around naked amongst the opposite sex without worrying for my safety, women can't."

This bloke had no fear whatsoever that he was going to be harassed or assaulted, the reverse just wouldn't be true.

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: March 13, 2021, 11:18:02 am »
I'm sorry to hear that happened to you with the bouncers, that sounds terrifying!! Physical assaults of that kind are, thankfully, not something that women generally have to worry about but am I right in assuming it wasn't 8 female bouncers? I think you make a really good point, men can be just as worried or as vigilant as women (although judging by a lot of the posts I've read online recently, it's not quite on the same level) but who is it that men are afraid of? It's other men. We're trying to shift the focus to the perpetrators rather than the victims, and violence is an overwhelmingly male issue.

And for us, it's not just the acts of sexual violence but it's the harassment, it's the idea that at any point you could be made to feel ashamed, uncomfortable or frightened whilst walking down the street, that's definitely not something that men have to worry about.

If we did imagine a parallel universe in which men could be curfewed at 6pm I know every woman would feel a huge sense of relief and freedom. Would men feel the same way if women were curfewed at 6pm? It can't be right that one gender is of almost no threat to the other but has to take so much of the responsibility.

It was 8 male bouncers, my point wasn’t and isn’t that there’s any kind of level demographic here, almost all violent attacks whether sexual in nature or not are carried out by men with the one exception of domestic abuse which, whilst still heavily sided with men, is less so than an unprovoked attack.

Regarding the responsibility aspect, to be honest it’s a point which I haven’t really considered as I’ve been brought up in a world where victim blaming isn’t a thing, and by that I don’t mean that it isn’t a thing in terms of the general population, I mean that it isn’t a thing that people I know openly engage in, thankfully. The suggestion that a woman was ‘asking for it’ by walking down an alleyway, or wearing a short skirt is antiquated shite and anyone with a brain will tell you the same. Where the issue becomes more problematic is when people take common sense advice as pre-emptive  victim blaming - I lived over the road from Sefton Park for a while and one of the first things I got told was don’t go there alone at night, to me that’s just common sense and it isn’t limiting anyone’s freedom.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: March 13, 2021, 11:29:50 am »

I know it's still putting the onus on us to protect ourselves and compounding that, as you say, admitting we need the help of another to watch out for us.  Male or otherwise.

I've had my fair share of instances during my teenage years.  Cars passing slowly, turning and passing again, then again but stopping to try and get me in the car.  I was 14 and walking the dog, an Alsatian, we lived very rurally so no street lights or pavements but I'd already planned my escape route before he pulled over.  Thankfully me laughing and saying "why the fuck would I want a lift when I'm walking the fucking dog" was enough to scare him off.  That was in 1974.

Another time again a car passing slowly back and forth when I was walking home from work.  I was about 18 he disappeared when we both realised he was a family friend so his intentions clearly weren't honourable.

Another time again about the same age, we used to babysit for my boyfriend's boss twice a week and he used to take me home.  This particular time he took me a different way home and pulled into a layby and tried it on.  I was horrified more because of who he was and that he thought he could get away with it.

I was 18/19 when the Ripper was rampant, flashers were in their hayday, missing, murdered and raped females were in the news far more than now thankfully.

I have no idea how we approach improving things.  I have no idea if things ever will until the police and judiciary take our concerns more seriously.  Men themselves have a massive part to play in improving their behaviour and educating their male offspring on the impact those seemingly innocent comments or acts have on someone.

Sadly I do agree with whoever posted that it's the possibility it's a copper who did it rather than the murder itself that's caused so much uproar.  I didn't even know anyone was missing till Paul said a copper had been arrested in connection with her disappearance.

Offline Koplass

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: March 13, 2021, 11:32:18 am »
Regarding the responsibility aspect, to be honest it’s a point which I haven’t really considered as I’ve been brought up in a world where victim blaming isn’t a thing, and by that I don’t mean that it isn’t a thing in terms of the general population, I mean that it isn’t a thing that people I know openly engage in, thankfully. The suggestion that a woman was ‘asking for it’ by walking down an alleyway, or wearing a short skirt is antiquated shite and anyone with a brain will tell you the same. Where the issue becomes more problematic is when people take common sense advice as pre-emptive  victim blaming - I lived over the road from Sefton Park for a while and one of the first things I got told was don’t go there alone at night, to me that’s just common sense and it isn’t limiting anyone’s freedom.

Ah, that's where lived experience may come into the equation then. As a woman I've been told multiple times that perhaps something I did provoked the street harassment. Not walking down a dark alleyway is common sense for either gender but even with the Sarah Everard case I've seen people questioning why she walked home instead of getting a cab! It's not just about avoiding poorly lit areas for us, it's everything. It's how drunk we are, what clothes we have on, which cab company we use, whether we smiled, whether we didn't smile, did we have our hair up, was it our usual route, why were we on our own anyway...?

A woman on my facebook posted earlier today that when she went to court within the last couple of years because she was sexually assaulted by a man on a train and the (female) defence lawyer asked her what she was wearing. You're right in that it's antiquated but it's an attitude that persists. Sounds like you're lucky to have a good group of people around you but the general population isn't as enlightened and women are still expected to adjust their behaviours in all sorts of mind-bending ways to avoid male violence.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: March 13, 2021, 11:38:07 am »

Fantastic post 👏👏

When all men understand this then we might get somewhere.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #187 on: March 13, 2021, 11:56:55 am »
Fantastic post 👏👏

+1.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: March 13, 2021, 01:05:12 pm »
Was just thinking, all this talk about walking through the park at night and so on, the fact is that most women get attaacked in thwir own home, and often by a partner or ex-partner. These are the crimes that a culture shift in the behaviour of men would also prevent, probably even more so than the one of the guy who is snatching a girl from the street.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: March 13, 2021, 01:16:25 pm »
Fantastic post 👏👏

Boys definitely need educating, both at school but mostly at home, how to act and behave with women, what is acceptable, what is jokey and what is overstepping the mark.

Sadly Deb, one thing I don't think we will ever fix is the men who think its OK to harass/sexually assault/rape a woman, these don't care about understanding how hard it is for women or how to treat women, what these bastards understand is how vulnerable women are and that is why they prey on women and why men like me don't fell comfortable when our partners walk alone through dark parks or down dark roads.

There is no fear of getting caught for these scum ether. I was reading the figures on the BBC, estimated rapes in the UK are 151,000, only 55,130 get reported to the Police, only 2,102 go to court and there are 1,439 convictions.

As a man with two young boys, I know don't have to worry about them being harassed or sexually assaulted, but I do have the worry of them being murdered by another man. Women are more likely the be murdered by someone they know and who they live with, men are in the main murdered by strangers and twice as many men are murdered each year than women.

Was just thinking, all this talk about walking through the park at night and so on, the fact is that most women get attaacked in thwir own home, and often by a partner or ex-partner. These are the crimes that a culture shift in the behaviour of men would also prevent, probably even more so than the one of the guy who is snatching a girl from the street.

The issue I have with the park by us is that there have been sexual assaults in there and a couple of rapes not that far away near the hospital.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 01:18:05 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #190 on: March 13, 2021, 02:23:35 pm »

A lot of blokes feel personally attacked when we talk about 'toxic masculinity' but they shouldn't, it's as unhelpful to men as it is to women. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to constantly have to deny your emotions or compete with your friends or not accept help. I've hypothesised for a while that part of the reason that male ex-partners are so dangerous to the women that they dated is because heterosexual men become very emotionally reliant on their partners, as they're often the only people they can open up to. Women might be heartbroken but they can talk to their friends or their sister or their mum, they have the kind of external support that men often don't. For some men, being dumped would be akin to being stranded at sea, and along with all of the Freudian ideas around possessing women as objects this can lead to extreme violence.

But how you address the pressure we put on men without pushing away all of the men who are attached to the idea of masculinity and alpha-ness, I don't know.   
I think this is at the core of the issue. To me it says more about the lack of emotional maturity some men have and you're absolutely right about maybe what they feel when their relationship breaks down - not many men would voluntarily openly own up to being dumped by their partner. They maybe bottle it along with all the internal emotional turmoil - which is not good. This macho-type persona that some men have has been going for millennia even from the 'beginning' - so, how can it be changed ? I don't know in the longer term - but, as I posted earlier, we (men) can make a start by changing the way in which women are portrayed so publicly as objects of desire. But, men have to do that - in the media, in entertainment, in the workplace, in government. We also need to look at education and whether more can be done to teach children about equality, relationships, respect.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: March 13, 2021, 02:35:18 pm »
Boys definitely need educating, both at school but mostly at home, how to act and behave with women, what is acceptable, what is jokey and what is overstepping the mark.

Sadly Deb, one thing I don't think we will ever fix is the men who think its OK to harass/sexually assault/rape a woman, these don't care about understanding how hard it is for women or how to treat women, what these bastards understand is how vulnerable women are and that is why they prey on women and why men like me don't fell comfortable when our partners walk alone through dark parks or down dark roads.

There is no fear of getting caught for these scum ether. I was reading the figures on the BBC, estimated rapes in the UK are 151,000, only 55,130 get reported to the Police, only 2,102 go to court and there are 1,439 convictions.

As a man with two young boys, I know don't have to worry about them being harassed or sexually assaulted, but I do have the worry of them being murdered by another man. Women are more likely the be murdered by someone they know and who they live with, men are in the main murdered by strangers and twice as many men are murdered each year than women.

The issue I have with the park by us is that there have been sexual assaults in there and a couple of rapes not that far away near the hospital.

Sadly society will never be perfect but if we feel nothing can change, then nothing will.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 02:37:22 pm by reddebs »

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #192 on: March 13, 2021, 03:13:08 pm »

Spot on. Awareness is key.
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #193 on: March 13, 2021, 04:28:37 pm »

A problem I see in society is that it basically fucks everyone over. It betrays both men and women, but in different ways. If males are force-fed a toxic ideal of masculinity, it is destructively bad for the male, and the effects of that are bad for females and wider society as a whole too.

Men really shouldn't feel attacked by talk of toxic masculinity. I loathed it decades before the term was even invented. I was familiar with, and victim to, it's manifestations so hated it so much and knew how destructive it was. Problem is, men, just like women, have vast and varied potentials, but men are painted into a corner by the expectations placed upon them by society. Countries want men who will go to war for them, so they do not want males brought up to be feeling, thinking, sensitive and caring. That sort of man doesn't pick up a flag and start singing National Anthems then vowing to lay down their lives in war because of the ineptitude and madness of those who run countries.

Other males and plenty of females have called me all sorts of things in my lifetime because I adopted what society deems to be female attributes. Being sensitive and considerate had my sexuality brought into question. It's seen me labelled a ''weirdo, gay, bent, puff'' and all sorts of other names by both fellow males and certain females. When you are male, society and peer pressure tells you that you can only look a certain way, think a certain way and feel a certain way. This leaves us using a tiny fraction of our human potential. It leaves us stunted and unskilled emotionally. We are taught to be good with our hands and fists, but not with our minds and emotions.

Now none of this is a woe-is-me tale or sob story over what it's like being a man. What it is, is a window into things that make so many men so inadequate and so ill-equipped to deal with life and the people in their lives. All that has a massive knock-on effect in how many men act towards other people, their partners and women in general. It's odd in so many ways, I've known so many men who say they love women, but I've known very few who actually like them and respect them. That's not women's fault, it's on men and how men have been brought up and influenced. Mind you, I still recall the days when lads were encouraged to 'love and leave' to 'sow their wild oats' and basically ride roughshod over females. I once had a girlfriend whose mum and dad encouraged their son to do just that, whilst they were so precious about their daughter. Double standards? Mixed messages? Their take was simply ''it's different with lads.''  Forgetting all the time that their son was screwing over and hurting other people's daughters.

You absolutely nailed it when you put forward the idea that some males can be very dangerous to ex-partners due to the emotional reliance they once had on them. I'll be very open with you and admit that I was very much like this myself as a young man. OK, I was never dangerous as such, but I acted very badly and did cause some distress, which I will regret forever. Men, like everyone else, have emotional needs. We want and need to be loved. We are taught not to really admit that though. We are taught to deny and reject what is a massive part of who and what we are as human beings. Because of this, many of us never grow up in an emotional sense. In general, females are infinitely more emotionally mature because they've been encouraged to be so and have become skilled at it. As you said, females tend to have fantastic support networks and are often more than happy to seek help if they feel they need it. All that helps with emotional stability and health. On the other hand, males are told to ''man-up'' and get on with it on their own.

No one likes rejection, but females in general have the support around them and the emotional skills to deal with it. Males, generally speaking, lack this. Now society has always valued males who get what they want. Males who don't take no for an answer. Males who use physicality rather than their brains. Now put a needy, emotionally dependent male in a position of rejection, and he flounders. His emotional anchor (his ex) has not only gone, but has also rejected him. Now what has society taught men to do in difficult situations? Yes, fight, be aggressive, use your physicality to overcome and regain what you felt was yours. So, is it any wonder some males take this out on their ex and/or on the female population in general? It's no surprise to me whatsoever. In fact, it's highly predictable.

As a man, I am fully aware of the power females have. I also know it intimidates men far more than most would ever admit. An awful lot of men are scared of women, and they are scared of being opened up emotionally then abandoned by them too. Male physicality is the equaliser though, and due to the lack of emotional maturity and lack of skills that so many men have, some will always resort to what they see as not only that leveller, but also the perceived advantage physicality and emotional terrorism can offer them. Using that physicality and/or emotional abuse can be like putting a sticking plaster over the gaping hole where self-esteem should be. It can be a way to claw back a sense of power and control.

In essence, society has betrayed us all. It fucks us all up but in different ways. Because we all have to live with and around each other, we are all paying the price in one form or other.

I've no idea what the answer to your question is. It's always in the interests of countries to bring their men up to be potential fighters. To be potential fighters you have to deny three quarters of your human potential as a man. Thinking, feeling, emotionally mature men don't rush off to take arms and kill people because a failed politician tells them too. While men are forced into a corner where it's only socially acceptable to access a tiny fraction of their human potential, then there will always be problems within male society, which then impacts on females too.

I often see masculinity like I see a gun. In the hands of a well adjusted, grounded, secure and emotionally sound person, it's safe. It can be employed in the right contexts and circumstances and be a very positive thing and maybe a life-saver.

The same 'gun' in the hands of an emotionally unstable, maladjusted, insecure and frightened male who might feel rejected by society or an individual, well that can get dangerous and very negative indeed.

I'm not even sure society really wants to tackle all this. Yes, it wants to address the symptom, but doesn't really want to recognise, acknowledge and address the causes.

As a male, I'm glad I turned my life around. I'm glad I rejected societies idea of what a man should be. I've taken a lot of abuse for it, mind, but at least I can look myself in the mirror and feel ok about being male and about being me.

I do hope this isn't seen in any way as derailing the thread, because I genuinely feel that it's absolutely on-thread 100%. The crimes we recoil in shock from don't just come out of nothing. The fear women have simply going about their daily lives does not come from nowhere either. There are so many contributing factors that see us where we are with this, and this post and others simply acknowledge the fact.

EDIT: I just want to add that, like Debbs said, society can never be perfect. There will always be horrible crimes. I don't think we are talking about expecting perfection here though. What we are talking about is the overall attitudes that pervade society. If we change them, then we can address an awful lot of problems and improve things greatly. It will never be perfect, but it can be better and safer for us all as a whole.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 04:51:32 pm by Son of Spion* »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: March 13, 2021, 04:58:35 pm »
Yep, and that's why on here we've always had a zero tolerance of the ridiculous Everton wives shite.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: March 13, 2021, 05:24:32 pm »
Sadly society will never be perfect but if we feel nothing can change, then nothing will.

A lot can change to make lives of women and affected men better, but that involves the bastards in Government stopping giving money to their best mates and instead funding Police, Social Services and whatever else is needed to help victims of domestic violence. I have previously gone out with 2 different women who have been victims of domestic violence and its harrowing to hear what they experienced and how the c*nts Mum in the case of one just stood there and watched and he smacked her about. I cannot imagine how it feels to be trapped in a life like that with no-one to turn to and being too scared to escape.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #196 on: March 13, 2021, 05:32:35 pm »
Respect for all races and religions, respect for women, respect for elders, respect for property, respect for the law, all come from parenting and how those respects are ingrained in children from an early age.
Sure there are just wrong'uns, and the world will never fix that, but the large majority comes from a lack of those early days of guidance and teachings around respect, from parents.

You could argue the creation of perversion due to the internet, but that's a whole host of cans of worms. 
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: March 13, 2021, 07:26:37 pm »
You are missing the point I made - it's not about common sense behaviour, it's about men feeling they have to protect women. It's the flipside of the idea that men control women.

They are not separate issues. As Sian's opening post shows so excellently, it's a pyramid of escalation, that enables a culture where some men think their behaviour is acceptable and somehow even justified, all the way up to rape and murder.

That second point is a huge jump. The original post is a very striking one and it’s made me think about some points which thankfully I’ve been quite shielded from, I’ve not seen much of those experiences in my own life , I’ve spoken to my girlfriend about it a bit this weekend and she hasn’t seen much of it, so I’m grateful in that regard and it’s always an eye opener to read what is seemingly quite common place, in the space of 24 hours I’ve taken a fairly different view on this subject. However, what it isn’t doing is evidencing the kind of causal link that you’re describing, to get anywhere near evidencing that you’d need some fairy decent criminological research (which may well exist.)

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: March 13, 2021, 07:37:04 pm »
All is good,the muppets in No10 are lighting a candle.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #199 on: March 13, 2021, 07:50:08 pm »
PROTEST FOR WOMEN SAFETY - Clapham Common | London

https://twitter.com/SubjectAccesss/status/1370818510197248007

Even without the context, the snatch squads are obscene but just the fact those are Met police officers is beyond anything words can describe
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 07:54:19 pm by gazzalfc »