Author Topic: The Broadband Speed Pissing Contest  (Read 184455 times)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Broadband Speed Pissing Contest
« Reply #1080 on: October 13, 2015, 12:41:46 pm »
;D which one you getting? We had a look the other day after I sneaked in Curry's to geg at the 5K iMac. The LG screens looked pretty special on the demos they had set up. But then they had some ginormous Sony one by the door that looked stunning. Was something ridiculous like 70".

We're always streaming something in this house so no chance I'll be downgrading! I've got Kodi setup on this mac and can send it to the TV but working on a Raspberry Pi box at the mo so can really try it out. Had it going yesterday but been waiting on some other bits to arrive so it's not a circuit board dangling on a wire.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #1081 on: October 13, 2015, 01:52:26 pm »
A bit off topic but I want this one...

LG 65EC970V
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-65eg960v-smart-3d-ultra-hd-4k-65-curved-oled-tv-10124836-pdt.html

...but it's £5k ffs! OLED tech is fucking well pricey!

Think it'll be something like this once it drops to around the £1750 mark in the next 12 months or so..

LG 70UF772V
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-70uf772v-smart-ultra-hd-4k-70-led-tv-10127524-pdt.html

..currently £2800 ::)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 01:55:05 pm by Titi Camara »

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1082 on: October 13, 2015, 02:12:40 pm »
I think the first LG one you've linked to is the one I saw! They had it showing a demo video of a panther and the colours were absolutely stunning.

And I honestly didn't know you could get a 4K TV for less than £2000.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #1083 on: October 13, 2015, 02:47:10 pm »
I think the first LG one you've linked to is the one I saw! They had it showing a demo video of a panther and the colours were absolutely stunning.

And I honestly didn't know you could get a 4K TV for less than £2000.
Yep, that's one of the bestest on the market. Already won a ton of awards.

Prices are literally dropping by the day. By the time the boxing day/new years sales come around you'll be able to get a decent spec 4k 65" LED TV for around the £1500 mark. If you don't mind what brand you get then the prices are pretty much there now.

I'd kinda ear-marked my annual bonus for one in the new year (along with a new pc) but I've only had my current 60" 1080p Plasma TV for a couple of years and there just doesn't appear to be the levels of 4K content out there to justify a big spend so soon.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1084 on: October 13, 2015, 03:05:25 pm »
Mental, just a shame there's fuck all channels for it! Took them long enough to get HD. We won't be upgrading for a while I'd have thought, we've got a 55" panasonic viera, and it's a really lovely looking thing. Sits very close to the wall etc and besides, he's buried ALL of the cables so if we got a new one the place would be like a bombsite and we'd have to reskim/paint it all again so fuck that!

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1085 on: October 13, 2015, 09:06:43 pm »

Running a bit slow tonight, I was getting 194Mb/s on Saturday night. It's Virgin Media's new 200Mb internet, was actually cheaper to renew my contract with this speed than stick with 100Mb due to the rest on my TV and phone package.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 09:09:20 pm by sminp »
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Dublin Red

• Jehova, Jehova, Jehova
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1086 on: October 26, 2015, 07:28:16 pm »
Not too bad, but supposed to be 250mb download I think..

What we achieve in life, echoes in eternity

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1087 on: October 26, 2015, 09:45:31 pm »

Supposed to be 35mbps  :wanker

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
  • We must all at least Tri
« Reply #1088 on: November 23, 2015, 09:58:07 pm »
I've only ever seen 1ms ping once before and that was on Reliance Industries Corporate Park in Mumbai. I think a BT engineer lives on this street. Hmmmm.

Why would I only be getting 0.48Mbps when my ping is (as good?) like this, any ideas anyone?
Ive been complaining to BT about the shite upload speed for a while now but they say they only guarantee download speed!!! Supposed to be on fibre too  :no

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #1089 on: November 23, 2015, 10:24:01 pm »
Anyone had any dealings with Hyperoptic? Says they are bringing a up to 1Gbps connection to our flats that can't get fibre.

They need interest from other tenants in order to make it cost effective for them but interested to see if anyone else Had had any experience

Offline Packalacky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1090 on: November 30, 2015, 08:53:45 pm »

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1091 on: November 30, 2015, 08:59:00 pm »
280meg...

Fucking hell
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Packalacky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1092 on: November 30, 2015, 09:06:31 pm »
280meg...

Fucking hell

Orange delivered fiber to our apartment last month so pretty happy with it. Paying €28 (£20) for internet, phone and tv for the first year and and €40 afterwards, although I can cancel at any time. It's a pretty good deal and the speed is amazing. Everything just loads instantly and as I need to download and upload quite a lot of videos it's an amazing upgrade over what I had before.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1093 on: November 30, 2015, 09:09:10 pm »
Can't wait until I move and can ditch my 4-5mb connection. Although saying that, I was on about 2mb until the other week so it's like super speed for me at moment  ;D

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #1094 on: December 2, 2015, 08:21:19 am »
I've got Virgin Media the 50mb and for the last few weeks finally getting 48-52mb download whereas it used to be 38-42mbps.

Getting the upgrade to 70mb in a few weeks so hopefully it will get up to that speed. Seems to be work fine with you tube streaming on a tv, kodi on another tv and ipads, iphones or laptops also connected to the web but not streaming

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1095 on: December 7, 2015, 10:21:55 pm »
Can anyone help? Why, if I have 38meg fibre does my daughter watching Netflix completely feck up anyone else trying to use our internet ie footy streaming constantly buffering/COD lag?
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1096 on: December 7, 2015, 10:35:32 pm »
Just ordered Superfast fibre so should be getting a upgrade to 80mb up from 11-14 MB in a week or so, cannot fooking wait.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1097 on: December 8, 2015, 08:15:31 am »
Can anyone help? Why, if I have 38meg fibre does my daughter watching Netflix completely feck up anyone else trying to use our internet ie footy streaming constantly buffering/COD lag?

If that's over wifi then likely it's something to do with the wifi rather than the connection itself. There's an app on the iOS app store called Ofcom Wifi checker, though likely to be on android etc, get it and see if it reports any issues. If you can, run a speed test on both a wired and wireless connection.

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1098 on: December 8, 2015, 09:17:26 am »

Do you have a router issued by your ISP? If you do, they're shite. Worth investing in a decent one that can handle more than two connections.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1099 on: December 8, 2015, 09:21:22 am »
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1100 on: December 8, 2015, 06:34:09 pm »

Do you have a router issued by your ISP? If you do, they're shite. Worth investing in a decent one that can handle more than two connections.

If that's over wifi then likely it's something to do with the wifi rather than the connection itself. There's an app on the iOS app store called Ofcom Wifi checker, though likely to be on android etc, get it and see if it reports any issues. If you can, run a speed test on both a wired and wireless connection.

Cheers for that

'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1101 on: December 15, 2015, 03:07:26 pm »
Just bumped my speed up

Realised I had cat 5 cables, so spent a few quid on some Cat 6E cables and zooooommm!!

Much faster now!
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1102 on: January 29, 2016, 10:33:19 am »
New connection in the office:

If I plug straight into the wall I get about 255 Mbps!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 10:36:29 am by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #1103 on: January 29, 2016, 10:54:49 am »
Just bumped my speed up

Realised I had cat 5 cables, so spent a few quid on some Cat 6E cables and zooooommm!!

Much faster now!
Ive got cat5 Shielded hardwired to most of the outlets in the house, tho some still use Wifi, is there much diff between shielded 5 and normal 6?
JFT 96

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1104 on: January 29, 2016, 10:58:11 am »
use sheilded cat 7 for fibre moden to router and router to ps4 and iptv decoder.

imo its a must to have sheilded if you have wires near each other to lower interference.
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #1105 on: January 30, 2016, 08:16:18 am »
Whats the best website for comparing broadband choices?

My contract is up with BT so it's still rolling but i want to get a cheaper deal than £50 a month (That does have BT sport and line rental in it though)

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1106 on: January 30, 2016, 09:04:29 am »
Finally got my 200mbps broadband. Looks like the homeplugs are only giving me around 40 percent of that though. Is there a limit to what the wiring in the house can give me?

I get 190 from a regular ethernet connection to my laptop and 110 wirelessly to my phone and other wireless devices, so I know the speed is there.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 09:06:21 am by Upinsmoke »

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1107 on: January 30, 2016, 09:14:04 am »
In theory your power lines can handle 200Mbps, but will really depend on their age, distance from router, your adapters, etc.

What speed adapters are you using?

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1108 on: January 30, 2016, 09:14:17 am »
Finally got my 200mbps broadband. Looks like the homeplugs are only giving me around 40 percent of that though. Is there a limit to what the wiring in the house can give me?

I get 190 from a regular ethernet connection to my laptop and 110 wirelessly to my phone and other wireless devices, so I know the speed is there.

Yeah, it's not designed for 'no voltage' transmission.
The more cores there are in a piece of cable, the better the signal. Domestic wiring has 1. And it's a lot thicker than IT cable. So the signal becomes weaker the further it has to push itself, you're getting a reduction because it's losing energy getting itself up a thick wire.
It will always do a job, but it's a long way from being efficient.

I'll bet I'm still winning the reverse pissing contest.
Still only getting 0.17 meg.
 >:(
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1109 on: January 30, 2016, 10:23:41 am »
In theory your power lines can handle 200Mbps, but will really depend on their age, distance from router, your adapters, etc.

What speed adapters are you using?

500, makes sense seeing what you and L666 said below though.

Thanks.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1110 on: January 30, 2016, 10:50:50 am »
I'll bet I'm still winning the reverse pissing contest.
Still only getting 0.17 meg.
 >:(

Finally someone I can lord it over...

That's on a fibre line which is meant to be getting at least 8mb but they estimated 15mb when I got it last summer. It's never been right, and it's using the test socket at the moment as the other was even slower than this and dropped out 8 or 9 times a day.

Thankfully the place has sold and I'm outta here on Friday!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1111 on: January 30, 2016, 08:19:03 pm »

bt need to hang their heads in shame as even spain has overtaken the Uk because of them.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 08:22:18 pm by G1 Jockey 4(betfair) »

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1112 on: January 31, 2016, 02:11:41 am »
my provider has offered 360mb, i'm on 250mb

i can download a HD film in a few minutes, do i really need more speed

durrr. of course i do ;D
STFU and agree with me.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #1113 on: January 31, 2016, 07:56:34 am »
Just bumped my speed up

Much faster now!

use sheilded cat 7 for fibre moden to router and router to ps4 and iptv decoder.

imo its a must to have sheilded if you have wires near each other to lower interference.
I'm fairly techy but never knew this...I've just been using whatever cables I've got lying around...definitely needs some investigation. How can you tell cat 5 from cat 6? Shielded? Or am I going to have to get the moths off me wallet and order some?
Any recommendations for a decent router?

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1114 on: January 31, 2016, 08:00:43 am »
I'm fairly techy but never knew this...I've just been using whatever cables I've got lying around...definitely needs some investigation. How can you tell cat 5 from cat 6? Shielded? Or am I going to have to get the moths off me wallet and order some?Any recommendations for a decent router?

Cat 6 cables should have "CAT 6" written on the cable.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1115 on: January 31, 2016, 09:00:49 am »
broadbandbuyer have a good list of reviewed routers....but not the cheapest site to buy from.
Might be worth looking on a foreign site...
anyone with a decent processing chip inside will do but you will pay more.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #1116 on: January 31, 2016, 10:59:38 am »
Cat 6 cables should have "CAT 6" written on the cable.
[emoji16]
broadbandbuyer have a good list of reviewed routers....but not the cheapest site to buy from.
Might be worth looking on a foreign site...
anyone with a decent processing chip inside will do but you will pay more.
I've just got a huawei g33 (I think) and it does seem an improvement on my previous one/s.
Not sure what equipment can and can't use the 5ghz protocol though. A bit like the cables I guess, if it doesn't say anything on it then it's cat 5 - if it doesn't say 5ghz then it's 2.4ghz?

On a separate note I was mildly horrified to find out about FTTH and FTTC or B or whatever. I'd naively assumed that the new fibre broadband I'd ordered would use the fibre optic cable coming into the house. How silly of me. Fibre To The Cabinet means the run from cabinet to the house is good old-fashioned twisted pair. What a swizz.

First world problems, eh? At least the speed is above 30mb now... [emoji16]

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1117 on: January 31, 2016, 01:02:38 pm »
yeah if its not 5ghz then it will be 2.4.....basically 802.11n and older.

ac runs on the 5ghz.....still lots of mobiles and tablets (new) come out with only n.

i only have one device on the 5ghz.

the rest on either 2.4 or the lan ports.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1118 on: February 18, 2016, 08:23:05 am »
Turned the 2.4 off in ours until I realised the PS4 needed it ::)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1119 on: February 20, 2016, 08:42:30 am »
is a bit lame that sony skipped AC wireless on the ps4.
saying that though...they cap speed on the ps4 connection test to about 50MBs