Author Topic: COVID-19:VERIFIED news sources, 0 politishit, 0 CONSPIRACY SHITE  (Read 3469731 times)

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: COVID-19:VERIFIED news sources, 0 politishit, 0 CONSPIRACY SHITE
« Reply #67280 on: December 24, 2021, 09:48:19 am »
China invokes lockdown in Xi’an ahead of the Winter Olympics.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-59743487

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #67281 on: December 24, 2021, 10:02:32 am »
cheers Jill, I guess it's pot luck which ones you get then as the ones I have received from there are the nose and throat ones

I might have the same ones as yours then this time. The other ones I collected from work, maybe it's just essential workers who get the other ones.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #67282 on: December 24, 2021, 10:08:41 am »
Quick question

My mum has had a pcr come back positive this morning and my dad has done two lateral flows both positive too

I was with them both last night for a short while but I had covid the end of November what’s the deal with re-infection? Aren’t I immune for 3 months?

No, you can catch Omicron after you have had Delta although it tends to be less severe. You probably had Delta in November but there’s a good chance your parents have Omicron.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67283 on: December 24, 2021, 11:08:45 am »
Does the UK have a policy on incoming travellers who have been vaccinated with three different vaccine types? A friend of mine may need to go back to UK, but 1st dose was AZ, 2nd was Pfizer and booster was Moderna.

No, afaik the vaccines need to be approved in the UK, the combination is not important.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67284 on: December 24, 2021, 11:13:07 am »
I might have the same ones as yours then this time. The other ones I collected from work, maybe it's just essential workers who get the other ones.

My lad got given the nasal ones by his school, he's only just around his 90 days since he had covid, so I nicked them for me to use ;)
Jurgen YNWA

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #67285 on: December 24, 2021, 11:14:49 am »
My lad got given the nasal ones by his school, he's only just around his 90 days since he had covid, so I nicked them for me to use ;)

That doesn't surprise me.  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67286 on: December 24, 2021, 11:14:59 am »
Not sure which report you're talking about, I haven't quoted from anything...?

It was a response to a post questioning why we wouldn't need annual vaccinations, and I suggested we would.

The Pfizer boss seems to agree with me:

Pfizer boss: Annual Covid jabs for years to come

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59488848?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA

Think it might depend on the outcome of the "treat covid at home" pill. If it works, we have a good way of treating the majority of those who get medium-severity covid.

I'm going out o  a limb here, but I could see that there will only be a 4th booster for the extremely vulnerable (eg immunocompromised). For the rest of us, with Omicron being dominant, covid will become indestinguishable from a cold ("half of colds are covid"), and we we'll start treating it as such.

Think someome from the government recently also said they'd now stock up on antiviral meds - that is to treat the ones who get seriously ill. (As opposed to buying more vaccines).
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #67287 on: December 24, 2021, 12:11:15 pm »
With the way omicron is going and the likely evolution of mutations from there it might be at a point where hardly even the immunocompromised will need a vaccine in a year or two. Flu seems to be a lot more resistant because it's a more stable virus than corona viruses are so the endgame is always going to be that the virus deflates itself and becomes another common cold. Already it seems like losing taste and smell is very rare with omicron for example.

It's still serious enough that millions of people will get it this winter and therefore hundreds of thousands in Europe alone will sadly lose their lives at least so long as Delta exists, but once resistance to omicron builds up the virus won't have many places to go. Delta will most likely be virtually extinct in spring because it can't keep up with the transmissibility of omicron in relative terms.

Either way, once the vaccines are adapted to omicron it's probably game over for covid as a deadly disease in general.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 12:14:03 pm by Lewis Hamilton’s #1 baubles »
Linudden.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #67288 on: December 24, 2021, 01:21:51 pm »
I'm going out o  a limb here, but I could see that there will only be a 4th booster for the extremely vulnerable (eg immunocompromised). For the rest of us, with Omicron being dominant, covid will become indestinguishable from a cold ("half of colds are covid"), and we we'll start treating it as such

I wonder if we'll all get a fourth but kind of a broad spectrum tweaked one like the US army apparently has developed? I would imagine at least over 50's getting a fourth of something or other

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #67289 on: December 24, 2021, 01:25:09 pm »
No, afaik the vaccines need to be approved in the UK, the combination is not important.

Great. Thanks :wave

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #67290 on: December 24, 2021, 01:29:30 pm »
I wonder if we'll all get a fourth but kind of a broad spectrum tweaked one like the US army apparently has developed? I would imagine at least over 50's getting a fourth of something or other

I think everyone will be offered a fourth omicron-specific vaccine but at that point I don't see it being widely taken by people below the age of 40 due to the perceived lack of harm from a natural infection once Delta is extincted. It will be reduced to the annual flu shot to the point where the virus eventually becomes harmless enough that it becomes a 'nursing home jab'.
Linudden.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #67291 on: December 24, 2021, 01:34:44 pm »
I would think we wouldn't have needed a 4th dose this quickly but Omicron's immune evasion has caused problems for current vaccines.

If it evades most antibodies produced by current vaccines we need a lot more of them to help reduce symptomatic infection, it looks like protection against severe disease holds up better though even with existing vaccines.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #67292 on: December 24, 2021, 01:38:17 pm »
 Not sure what the future of vaccines is…

Do you bring in an omicron specific one? If you do, what happens if a new variant comes out of a similar lineage to delta? That vaccine might not be very good against it (omicron’s vaccine escape might mean a specific vaccine isn’t very effective against it).

So they’re are some tricky decisions to make.

I’m assuming our booster shots are still original vaccines recipes against the wild type virus, does anyone know different?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #67293 on: December 24, 2021, 01:43:19 pm »

Do you bring in an omicron specific one? If you do, what happens if a new variant comes out of a similar lineage to delta? That vaccine might not be very good against it (omicron’s vaccine escape might mean a specific vaccine isn’t very effective against it).

I’m assuming our booster shots are still original vaccines recipes against the wild type virus, does anyone know different?

There is only so much it can mutate as far as I am aware, I don't think they bothered with a tweak because they thought boosters would be fine (which they are) and have a crap ton of them. Just immunity to infection is dropping a bit faster than thought

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #67294 on: December 24, 2021, 01:46:58 pm »

Isn't the geneology of omicron an evolution of delta? All cases in South Africa were of that type before omicron emerged after all. The window for the delta variant to develop something different is closing very quickly though as it gets piledrived by the omicron wave. Potentially a mutation that goes differently from delta could be more harmful than omicron but:

a) it's unlikely it's transmissible enough to outcompete it.
b) to be able to outcompete omicron while maintaining the lethality of delta is extremely unlikely.

Even so, delta is already much less harmful per capita of cases than the first variant although it can do larger damage due to it being highly transmissible. It's still quite evident that the mortality rate of covid infections are lower than it used to be. Especially considering how the unvaccinated at the ICU fare a lot better than people during the first wave on average. At least in Sweden.
Linudden.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67295 on: December 24, 2021, 01:51:43 pm »
Isn't the geneology of omicron an evolution of delta? All cases in South Africa were of that type before omicron emerged after all. The window for the delta variant to develop something different is closing very quickly though as it gets piledrived by the omicron wave. Potentially a mutation that goes differently from delta could be more harmful than omicron but:

b) to be able to outcompete omicron while maintaining the lethality of delta is extremely unlikely.

Even so, delta is already much less harmful per capita of cases than the first variant although it can do larger damage due to it being highly transmissible. It's still quite evident that the mortality rate of covid infections are lower than it used to be. Especially considering how the unvaccinated at the ICU fare a lot better than people during the first wave on average. At least in Sweden.
Omicron was first identified there, that doesn’t mean it necessarily originated there. Also, it was Beta that was identified in SA previously

I’d like to see your data for those claims on delta.   As far as I was aware, it had more vaccine and immune escape that wild type and was more transmissible
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67296 on: December 24, 2021, 02:02:13 pm »

I said the same thing yesterday.

Unless all other variants are extinct you always run the risk of a new lineage appearing, but I guess one of the advantages of Omicron being so infectious is that it should out-compete the others, and if it is 90%+ of global cases say it’s probably a fair bet the next variant after Omicrom comes from Omicron?

Yes, all vaccines currently in mass production are based on the wild/Wuhan variant.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67297 on: December 24, 2021, 02:03:24 pm »
I said the same thing yesterday.

Unless all other variants are extinct you always run the risk of a new lineage appearing, but I guess one of the advantages of Omicron being so infectious is that it should out-compete the others, and if it is 90%+ of global cases say it’s probably a fair bet the next variant after Omicrom comes from Omicron?

Yes, all vaccines currently in mass production are based on the wild/Wuhan variant.
Is omicron out competing delta though? We seem to have both in circulation independently right now
W

Offline djahern

• aka Gail Yodeller
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67298 on: December 24, 2021, 02:06:36 pm »

Omicron isn’t a branch of delta. It branched off from alpha way before omicron was on the scene. It’s genealogy is more similar to alpha/beta than delta.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67299 on: December 24, 2021, 02:10:29 pm »
Is omicron out competing delta though? We seem to have both in circulation independently right now

Delta as a proportion of cases is falling compared to Omicron, but Delta is definitely still about.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67300 on: December 24, 2021, 02:11:32 pm »
Delta as a proportion of cases is falling compared to Omicron, but Delta is definitely still about.
I thought it had stabilised (might have imagined that mind you)
W

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67301 on: December 24, 2021, 02:15:33 pm »
I thought it had stabilised (might have imagined that mind you)

Trying to find a link but I read and hear so much on Covid I can’t even remember if I heard it or read it!
Thinking is overrated.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67302 on: December 24, 2021, 02:56:50 pm »

So many things incorrect in here, stated with absolute confidence and certainty. Didn't need to look left to see who wrote it.

Your stamina to maintain your hubris, after so many predictions and assertions (about so many topics) get shown up by people on here, is really quite something.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67303 on: December 24, 2021, 02:58:21 pm »
Well one of my parents tested positive earlier, somehow they managed to avoid it up until now even though they've been on the front line seeing COVID positive patients etc from day one. Luckily they have had all three jabs but Merry Christmas! 😮‍💨

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67304 on: December 24, 2021, 03:01:29 pm »

Boosters must be helping Omicron dominate as they're massively effective at slowing delta transmission and not so much Omicron.

Irish cases have taken a massive upswing now at a time when hospitalizations and Icu numbers have been dropping for about 6 weeks. Omicron is said to make up 82% of cases. Gonna be interesting to see at what point it leads to an uptick in serious illness. Hopefully not at all.  There's massive booster uptake among those who really need it with the bulk of cases among young people.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #67305 on: December 24, 2021, 03:44:03 pm »
So many things incorrect in here, stated with absolute confidence and certainty. Didn't need to look left to see who wrote it.

Your stamina to maintain your hubris, after so many predictions and assertions (about so many topics) get shown up by people on here, is really quite something.

While I disagree with everything you said, still merry Christmas classy :)
Linudden.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67306 on: December 24, 2021, 03:55:09 pm »

interested to see what is done going forward. i'm assuming it's possible for a future booster to 'cover' a multitude of strains, e.g. maybe delta and omicron and the 'original' wuhan strain? i get that with the flu vaccine they essentially predict the most likely strain so maybe that'll be where we end up?
YNWA.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67307 on: December 24, 2021, 04:03:31 pm »
122,186 cases, I don't believe we are reporting numbers for the next 2 days now, these are probably the last "clean" numbers until early Jan

« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 04:05:50 pm by filopastry »

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67308 on: December 24, 2021, 04:07:02 pm »
Noticed the patients being admitted to hospital has gone up a bit in the past few days, over a thousand two days in a row.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67309 on: December 24, 2021, 04:29:53 pm »
While I disagree with everything you said, still merry Christmas classy :)

You too!

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #67310 on: December 24, 2021, 04:33:23 pm »
You too!

Cheers and keep up your good work in the NHS :)
Linudden.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #67311 on: December 24, 2021, 04:35:24 pm »
122,186 cases, I don't believe we are reporting numbers for the next 2 days now, these are probably the last "clean" numbers until early Jan

The numbers for the next 2 days are being collated, but they will be released with the figures for the 27th on the 27th.

The cases by specimen date seem to show the testing is getting laggy. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases?areaType=overview&areaName=United%20Kingdom

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67312 on: December 24, 2021, 04:36:17 pm »
Cheers and keep up your good work in the NHS :)
Thanks that's very generous, although I'm an epi not a health worker

Good luck with your studies and learning development (your academic area, and otherwise)

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67313 on: December 24, 2021, 04:37:48 pm »
Noticed the patients being admitted to hospital has gone up a bit in the past few days, over a thousand two days in a row.

As per total numbers posted above by filopastry, although Omicron is spreading Delta still accounts for the majority of cases.  Hospitalisations and fatalities follow after the time lag.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67314 on: December 24, 2021, 04:40:53 pm »
The numbers for the next 2 days are being collated, but they will be released with the figures for the 27th on the 27th.

The cases by specimen date seem to show the testing is getting laggy. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases?areaType=overview&areaName=United%20Kingdom

I will be getting first hand testing of this myself, as I had to do a walk-in PCR myself yesterday morning at 0830 (my previous one had one of those annoying inconclusive results) so will see when I get my results through

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67315 on: December 24, 2021, 04:49:05 pm »
Vaccines continue to do a very good job. Shame everyone didn't get their jabs or we'd be seeing less than 50 deaths almost certainly.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline djahern

• aka Gail Yodeller
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67316 on: December 24, 2021, 06:09:21 pm »
Boosters must be helping Omicron dominate as they're massively effective at slowing delta transmission and not so much Omicron.

Irish cases have taken a massive upswing now at a time when hospitalizations and Icu numbers have been dropping for about 6 weeks. Omicron is said to make up 82% of cases. Gonna be interesting to see at what point it leads to an uptick in serious illness. Hopefully not at all.  There's massive booster uptake among those who really need it with the bulk of cases among young people.
Ireland reached the limit of their testing capacity a few days ago. They’re no longer identifying the majority of infections.

Think it will be a rough couple of weeks in Ireland and their hospitals, but hopefully it should pass quickly.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67317 on: December 24, 2021, 07:04:47 pm »
Ireland reached the limit of their testing capacity a few days ago. They’re no longer identifying the majority of infections.

Think it will be a rough couple of weeks in Ireland and their hospitals, but hopefully it should pass quickly.
How do we know what their limit of testing is?  What is it in the U.K.?
W

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #67318 on: December 24, 2021, 07:08:44 pm »
How do we know what their limit of testing is?  What is it in the U.K.?

From recent history about 1.5m tests per day.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67319 on: December 24, 2021, 07:11:25 pm »
Vaccines continue to do a very good job. Shame everyone didn't get their jabs or we'd be seeing less than 50 deaths almost certainly.

Your right, but considering initial estimates before the vaccines were available were suggesting 60-70% would get vaccinated we’re also not doing too bad either.
Thinking is overrated.