Author Topic: NBA Discussion  (Read 612119 times)

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: NBA Discussion
« Reply #7800 on: November 21, 2020, 06:09:21 pm »
Some incredible overpays and then Montrezl Harrell to the Lakers for what seems a steal.
Bertans and Joe Harris deals are just crazy numbers.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7801 on: November 21, 2020, 07:47:56 pm »
Free agent Gordon Hayward is signing a 4-year, $120M deal with Charlotte, per source. (Woj)

fucking hell, Jordan really sucks at this.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 08:08:53 pm by elsewhere »

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #7802 on: November 21, 2020, 07:52:44 pm »
Talking about overpays.  ;D

Jordan skills as a player are inversely proportional to his capability as an owner.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #7803 on: November 21, 2020, 09:54:52 pm »
Really happy with that, was reading a bit about him today with the Amare comparisons, Brooklyn born as well.

Hopefully he can work well in tandem with RJ.

Lets hope we don't go for Westbrook and demolish this sound rebuilding the front office is committed to.

Agreed. Yes, he'll bring the excitement but we won't win anything with him. But then again, we'd be relevant and competitive. Hmm, tough either way.
Shame we couldn't bring in Chris Paul, but his salary is such an albatross to consider.

Glad we avoided signing Haywood.

Enjoy that, MJ. Karma is a bitch. ;D
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7804 on: November 22, 2020, 09:25:37 am »
Fred Van Vleet got paid. 85 million notes over 4 years. A lot of money but I love him as a player, so very glad he’s staying with the Raps. Turns it on in the playoffs.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7805 on: November 22, 2020, 11:47:35 am »
Serge Ibaka Agrees To Two-Year, $19M Deal With Clippers

Marc Gasol Drawing Interest From Raptors, Warriors

Jevon Carter Agrees To Three-Year, $11.5M Deal With Suns

Pacers Interested In Sign-And-Trade For Bogdan Bogdanovic

Nerlens Noel Agrees To One-Year, $5M Deal With Knicks

Jeff Teague Agrees To One-Year Deal With Celtics

Brad Wanamaker Agrees To One-Year, $2.25M Deal With Warriors

Tristan Thompson Agrees To Sign Two-Year, $19M Deal With Celtics

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope Agrees To Three-Year, $40M Deal With Lakers

Wes Iwundu Agrees To Two-Year Deal With Mavs

Mamadi Diakite Agrees To Two-Way Contract With Bucks

Garrison Mathews Signs Qualifying Offer With Wizards

Warriors Apply For Disabled Player Exception Worth $9.3M

Elfrid Payton Agrees To One-Year, $5M Deal With Knicks

Carmelo Anthony Agrees To One-Year Deal To Re-Sign With Blazers

Paul Millsap Agrees To One-Year, $10M Deal With Nuggets

Rajon Rondo Agrees To Two-Year, $15M Deal With Hawks

Nic Batum Drawing Interest From Multiple Contenders

Jeff Green Agrees To Sign With Nets

Jae Crowder Agrees To Three-Year, $30M Deal With Suns

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7806 on: November 29, 2020, 05:10:42 am »
come on Nate Robinson, why you go and make a fool of yourself like that...

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7807 on: November 29, 2020, 11:43:58 am »
come on Nate Robinson, why you go and make a fool of yourself like that...
And to an absolute charlatan too.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7808 on: December 3, 2020, 09:19:51 am »
Westbrook to the Wizards for Wall and a pick then.

Offline lorenzo

• Kopite
« Reply #7809 on: December 3, 2020, 09:53:17 am »
Westbrook to the Wizards for Wall and a pick then.
They have really done Westbrook so bad, he's been passed around like he is a journeyman

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7810 on: December 3, 2020, 10:19:17 am »
Paul George on all the smoke pod: “doc used me like a ray allen or jj redick, all pin downs. i can do that but it’s not my game. i need some mixes of pnr’s, some post ups, just different touches.”

on his struggles in Doc Rivers' system:

"Doc was trying to play me as a Ray Allen or a JJ Redick, all pin-downs. I can do it, but that ain't my game. I need some flow, I need some mixes of some pick-and-roll, and post ups...That last season was hard."

on blowing a 3-1 lead:

“during that whole process, we never worked on adjustments. we never worked on what to do differently. we had the same shit happen over and over again. the conversation was ‘were aight,’ but it should’ve been ‘nah we needa change this.’”

on how the Clippers blew 3-1 lead:

"During that whole process we never worked on adjustments. We never worked on what to do differently... The conversation is like 'we're gonna be alright'. The conversations should have been like 'we need to change things.'"

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7811 on: December 4, 2020, 11:56:42 am »
Anthony Davis Signs Five-Year, $190M Deal With Lakers

James Harden Has Yet To Travel To Houston For Workouts With Rockets

Dr. Anthony Fauci: Having Full NBA Arenas By July Is 'Cutting It Close'

NBA Targeting March 25th Trade Deadline

Stephen Silas Giving James Harden 'Space'

Competition Committee Gives Support To Increase Active Player List To 15 Players

Malcolm Brogdon Wins 19-20 Citizenship Award

Knicks Only Had Interest In Russell Westbrook If Rockets Attached Assets

James Harden Preferred Playing With John Wall Over Russell Westbrook

Steph Curry Says James Wiseman Is 'Definitely Going To Contribute' This Season

Chasson Randle Reaches Agreement With Thunder

Rockets Haven't Changed Stance On James Harden Trade

NBA Has 48 Positive COVID-19 Tests Out Of 546 Players

Rockets Trade Russell Westbrook To Wizards For John Wall, 2023 First Round Pick

LiAngelo Ball Signs Training Camp Deal With Pistons'

LeBron James, Lakers Agree To Two-Year, $85M Extension

LeBron James' Decision To Extend With Lakers About Him 'Admitting Some Mortality'

Warriors-Nets, Lakers-Clippers To Open 20-21 NBA Season On Dec. 22

Tyronn Lue To Push Kawhi Leonard, Paul George To Forgo Certain Preferential Treatment

Giannis Antetokounmpo Would Be Comfortable Playing With Other Superstars

Mo Bamba To Sit Out Contact Drills In Training Camp Due To Long-Term Effects Of COVID-19

Steve Nash Says Mike D'Antoni Will Lead Nets' Offense, Jacque Vaughn To Lead Defense

Joakim Noah Waived By Clippers, Likely To Retire

Reggie Jackson Agrees To One-Year Deal With Clippers

Lakers-Mavericks, Nets-Celtics, Warriors-Bucks Headline Christmas Day Matchups

Victor Oladipo Denies Wanting Trade From Pacers

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7812 on: December 4, 2020, 07:31:38 pm »

https://theathletic.com/2222210/?source=twitterhq

Kawhi, chemistry and a failed Clippers title run: Inside the issue that defines 2021

Damn what an article. This kind of behavior is disgusting. What a wasted season. If you have a sub there is A LOT more drama here than I posted. A lot of locker room confrontations and BS. Lue definitely has his hands full getting these guys on the same page.

But according to multiple league sources, the perks the Clippers gave Leonard and George began to compromise the standard of the culture they had built over the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons — the very culture that the Clippers used, in part, to attract Leonard and George to Los Angeles.

Some of those perks included:

• Leonard and George were the only players to have their own personal security guards and trainers.

• Leonard and George had power over the team’s practice and travel schedule, leading teammates to believe Leonard canceled multiple practices.

• Leonard was allowed to live in San Diego and commute from there, which often made him late for team flights.

• Leonard and George typically didn’t speak to the media until at least 45 minutes after games concluded, under the guise of postgame treatment or workouts. This usually resulted in their teammates speaking with the media first, and for longer, essentially becoming the public voices of the team.

• Teammates also believed that Leonard and George were able to pick and choose when they played. Not only did they sit out games entirely, but also at times they accepted or declined playing time in the moment.

Marcus Morris Sr., whom the Clippers acquired at the February 2020 trade deadline, entered the locker room with the intent of asserting himself as a leader after pacing the New York Knicks in scoring. He quickly became one of the team’s louder voices.

While league sources say Morris had good intentions with teammates, and was trying to step into the clear leadership void that he had observed when he joined the team, Morris’ advice for his new teammates didn’t always go over well.

“You don’t want to be the guy that just shows up and starts telling people what to do,” one league source said.

According to league sources, center Ivica Zubac and Morris had several heated arguments early in Morris’ tenure, with Zubac essentially saying, “Why are you telling me to change what I’m doing after I’ve been doing it successfully all season?”

But the same issues that the Clippers faced in the regular season transferred over to the bubble. Another point of contention was that certain players felt teammates were looking out for their contracts more than the team, league sources said. Earlier in the season, teammates had felt Harrell was looking out for his numbers because he was a pending free agent, and that belief continued into the bubble.

With higher stakes and pressure, there were several blow-ups between players, with George often at the center of the tension, with teammates citing a lack of accountability from him.

During Game 7, several players felt George (10 points on 4-of-16 shooting, four rebounds, two assists, one steal and one block in 38 minutes) didn’t play with the type of effort or sense of urgency that matched his public comments.

“It looked like he was coasting the entire game,” one league source said. “He looked like he was floating.”

Afterward, his impassioned speech to his teammates about bouncing back and returning next season rang hollow, as The Athletic’s Shams Charania reported on Sept. 21.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7813 on: December 4, 2020, 07:51:57 pm »
The NBA will NOT drug test for Marijuana this upcoming season

(via @Ben_Dowsett, h/t @TheNBACentral)

Oh boy, this will be fun ;D

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7814 on: December 4, 2020, 07:58:45 pm »
How do the NBA teams afford to pay all this money? Is this just borrowed money? Do they make profits?

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7815 on: December 4, 2020, 08:00:51 pm »
How do the NBA teams afford to pay all this money? Is this just borrowed money? Do they make profits?
a good article

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/071415/how-nba-makes-money.asp

KEY TAKEAWAYS
The NBA makes money primarily through television, merchandising, sponsorships, and tickets.
The 30 teams making up the NBA had an average valuation of $2.12 billion each in the 2018-19 season.
Across the 2018-19 season, the NBA generated about $8.76 billion in revenue.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7816 on: December 5, 2020, 10:37:21 pm »
New NBA City Jersey's for next season, My favourite is Utah Jazz's and Brooklyn Nets, Knicks one sucks. :-[

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/12/03/nba-city-edition-jerseys-ranked
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7817 on: December 7, 2020, 04:20:40 am »
I like how they moan about several teams being boring and conservative, and then rank the Lakers #2 for the most simplistic jersey of all.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7818 on: December 7, 2020, 10:30:27 am »
I like how they moan about several teams being boring and conservative, and then rank the Lakers #2 for the most simplistic jersey of all.
exactly ;D

Online Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7819 on: December 16, 2020, 10:25:26 am »
Giannis has signed the supermax Milwaukee offered him. 5 years, 228M.

Very happy with that, and personally I think it's great news for the league to have top tier players that remain with the team that drafted them and try to build a team more organically. Would be brilliant to see teams built the way the Bucks, Heat, Celtics or Raptors are built, rather that the ready made model of the two LA teams or Brooklyn. Nothing wrong with players moving in free agency, obviously, but without wanting to sound like an old fart, it's becoming very boring to see players requesting trades with ages left on their deals, holding teams and fanbases to ransom, jumping around and teaming up with their mates from AAU or whatever. It's ruining the competitive balance and the enjoyment of seeing teams coalescing and improving year on year.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7820 on: December 16, 2020, 10:59:20 am »
Good to see he’s not gone for a big market team but I hate this contract, I’m not going to lie. I’d be reluctant to commit any kind of money to somebody that cannot shoot. If he gets injured and loses his first step you’ve not got a lot left for 40 odd million a year. He doesn’t have layers to his game, albeit he’s ridiculous at what he can do right now.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7821 on: December 16, 2020, 03:07:21 pm »
I guess as long as you surround him with 3 point marksmen that should lessen that deficiency. He is a two time MVP without being able to shoot but he is also a playoff bust so I guess he gotta decide if he wants to really do his best to get that chip

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7822 on: December 19, 2020, 04:31:04 pm »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7823 on: December 19, 2020, 07:16:14 pm »
Giannis has signed the supermax Milwaukee offered him. 5 years, 228M.

Very happy with that, and personally I think it's great news for the league to have top tier players that remain with the team that drafted them and try to build a team more organically. Would be brilliant to see teams built the way the Bucks, Heat, Celtics or Raptors are built, rather that the ready made model of the two LA teams or Brooklyn. Nothing wrong with players moving in free agency, obviously, but without wanting to sound like an old fart, it's becoming very boring to see players requesting trades with ages left on their deals, holding teams and fanbases to ransom, jumping around and teaming up with their mates from AAU or whatever. It's ruining the competitive balance and the enjoyment of seeing teams coalescing and improving year on year.

Shame he signed there.
Will waste the career of a HOF that could have been something greater.
They couldn't build a team around him, and they couldn't mold him into a more dangerous version of himself. They've just utilised his athleticism.
Such a waste. Can you imagine him in LA-a franchise that always finds ways to rebuild title contenders, or with Miami- a franchise that rebuilds teams with a winning mentality and will maximise a player's strengths. Instead, he's in Milwaukee. 
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7824 on: December 27, 2020, 09:34:29 pm »
Mavs 77 Clippers 27 halftime
yes, 27 pts only and down by 50 ;D

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7825 on: December 28, 2020, 08:06:57 pm »
what happened to our nba crowd in rawk? Too early to get into it or just dull without fans?

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7826 on: December 29, 2020, 05:43:54 am »
The Eastern conference is now being led by:

1. Cleveland Cavaliers 3-0
2. Orlando Magic 3-0
3. Indiana Pacers 3-0
4. Atlanta Hawks 3-0

As if 2020 wasn't a strange enough year..

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7827 on: December 29, 2020, 03:21:54 pm »
what happened to our nba crowd in rawk? Too early to get into it or just dull without fans?

Meh fans are hardly a factor in NBA [now if it was the EuroLeague...], but mostly too early.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7828 on: January 2, 2021, 06:10:07 am »
Hawks Suns finals this year anyone?

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7829 on: January 2, 2021, 06:16:16 am »
By the way my Warriors look terrible out there.
Draymond playing like he retired and can't wait to be back in TNT studios. Wiggins and Oubre are pure garbage.
Steph has lost his shooting touch.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7830 on: January 3, 2021, 11:57:11 pm »

Utterly dull without the fans. Even worse than in football.
The pressure of playing in front of fans weighs heavy on almost every sequence in the game.
I think in football, there will be critical moments that can have an effect on players when taking in the atmosphere from the stadium (especially if losing), basketball just loses it's edge without fans. It's just watching streetbasketball played with rules and elite players.

I could probably have a decent enough 3pt and ft shooting % playing without fans. ;D

Also, it feels like preseason games. The amount of lopsided wins, upsets, high scoring % from 3pt land in the occasional game (even the Knicks). Can't take it seriously just yet.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7831 on: January 4, 2021, 03:28:31 am »
I can now watch a fair bit of NBA through free-to-air in Australia, either live or on-demand, but every time I've tuned in over the past year or two, I've switched off after 5 minutes. I just don't like the modern game with its relentless 3-point barrage. Like, power forwards are now selected for their "stretch" game instead of their low-post moves? Sorry, I'm out. Give me 80s/90s b'ball any day. Crowds or otherwise are largely irrelevant.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7832 on: January 4, 2021, 08:21:36 am »
Curry with career high 62, wish the fans saw this and hopefully this wakes us up this year.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7833 on: January 4, 2021, 08:34:21 am »
Utterly dull without the fans. Even worse than in football.
The pressure of playing in front of fans weighs heavy on almost every sequence in the game.
I think in football, there will be critical moments that can have an effect on players when taking in the atmosphere from the stadium (especially if losing), basketball just loses it's edge without fans. It's just watching streetbasketball played with rules and elite players.

I could probably have a decent enough 3pt and ft shooting % playing without fans. ;D

Also, it feels like preseason games. The amount of lopsided wins, upsets, high scoring % from 3pt land in the occasional game (even the Knicks). Can't take it seriously just yet.
agreed, it seems like basketball took bigger hit than football or nfl. I can still watch them or look fwd to watch them but without fans, NBA as you said, really does feel like pre season games at times.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7834 on: January 4, 2021, 09:19:02 am »
Raps don’t look good so far.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7835 on: January 4, 2021, 10:47:07 am »
Raps don’t look good so far.
Yeah, early obviously but i was to ask you that. What happened? Clearly they are not missing Marc Gasol right?
What's with Siakam this year?

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7836 on: January 7, 2021, 08:16:45 pm »
"Kawhi Leonard is expected to play in his first back-to-back set since April of 2017 tonight."

Almost 4 freaking years? Damn.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7837 on: January 10, 2021, 03:14:56 pm »
Lamelo Ball youngest ever to have a triple double. This may not sound like a big stat as his brother Lonzo is also 4 th youngest in the league.

But I have to tell you this kid is real and Charlotte has a bright future.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7838 on: January 10, 2021, 03:27:13 pm »
crazy Covid outbreak in NBA teams last 2 days. 76ers had only 8 players available against the Nuggets.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7839 on: January 12, 2021, 07:20:36 am »
Raptors are now 2-8. So what the hell happened to them?