Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
. I find it funny that the City players can keep up this hunger for titles, they must know deep down its all tainted.

The more titles they win, the harder it will be in the eyes of some for the PL to pretty much wipe out a decade's worth of trophies. Cycling is still dealing with the fallout from Lance Armstrong. This would be much bigger and the PL has turned a blind eye for too long to protect the brand and TV revenues
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *
« Last post by Historical Fool on Today at 02:00:06 am »
Could easily have been the frustration of a player knowing he might not win a major trophy again.

I’m sure he’ll back himself to win the CL and AFCON. He’s only 32 …
You could start with what happens indoors. Get non-smokers to point out to smokers that you can't do that here or anywhere. Parents currently do it at most sporting fields that have bans now. Then you have police issuing fines just like they do now for people smoking pot in public.
I’m guessing you don’t live in the UK, but over here indoor bans are not enforced by non-smokers. They’re enforced by property owners, under threat of a heavy fine. And where I live people smoking weed on the street is not unusual and neither the police nor the public seem bothered. The police don’t have the resources to investigate house burglaries, let alone smoking a fag on the street.
The only way an outdoor ban could be enforced here is by recruiting a smoke-free gestapo patrolling the streets at tax-payers’expense. Is that something you’d want?
Former LFC Players / Re: Sadio Mané
« Last post by btroom on Today at 01:46:21 am »
I'm really torn with Sadio

Charitable as fuck, sent so much back to his home, amazing player

But played for rapist oil slave owning Saudis and married a child.

child? she is 18
Out of all that, the thing that stuck out for me the most was fucking Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson's "'Donnez-moi un break,' as they say in Quebec." Far be it for me to defend my fellow French Canadians, but Johnson can mets-le toi up his arse with that Franglais. The conference wasn't even in Quebec, the foppy weapon.
It's strange watching another side sell themselves dreams about how things will be so much better year on year completely ignoring potential season derailing injuries and issues that hamper your season

Teams arnt where they are by random. The place in the league table is a product of the quality of players and how well the manager organizes them. I dont see anything random about our current position in the league. We have some of the best players in the league and a manager who is showing signs of real quality. Most of our top players are on big contracts and under the age of 25. Arteta will be backed in the market again, we will be able to sell Nelson, ESR and Nketiah ro give us more FFP breathing room.

Whatever happens this season, remains to be seen. However going into next season I really see no reason why Arsenal will 'drop off'.
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *
« Last post by Dim Glas on Today at 01:32:41 am »
I don't think it was out of character at all, he's always had this ego bubbling under, he's just never been dropped to have it surface

he’s a goal scorer, forwards often are more about themselves and have the ego to match, it’s sort of part of their deal  ;D

But he for sure isn’t the sort of player you’d want having his career wind down here as you know he’d not take being down the squad list. Henderson was the same last year (and no not comparing talents), unwilling to be a squad player.

I still think he’ll be here the start of next season though.
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)
« Last post by KC7 on Today at 01:25:28 am »
The problem with Jota and Nunez regardless of how xG-savvy you can be is that you can see with your fucking eyes who has better technique and who can strike a ball more cleanly therefore is the far better finisher lol.

Think Nunez's main issue is he often smashes it when placement is required. He has shown he has the ability to place it (two angled finishes at Newcastle for example), just too often he lacks calm decision making so just wellies it.

Gerd Muller was the placement king. The way he described his thought process of scoring: "must get the ball from A to B" (B being over the line, not even hitting the net a necessity). Simple, but very clinical, almost mathematical. While Muller took a professor type approach Nunez is more Caveman: "must see ball break net".

That chance vs Palace, smashed it straight at the keeper 6 yards out. Placement he has no chance of stopping it.

Shearer got the balance of smashing it and placement right. Owen I thought was always a smart finisher. Loved passing it inside the side netting. Another who had a favoured routine Henry loved that left leaning right foot curling finish into the right side of goal. Rush, Fowler, Jota and co. are more your natural, instinctive finishers.
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: The Alternative Premier League Table 2023-24
« Last post by johnny74 on Today at 12:53:26 am »
First half of that graph. That's typical title winning form. We just ran out of steam.
A lot of great shouts so far.
Having grown up in the 70’s and 80’s watching us win all before us and then watching us fall of a cliff under Sounness in the early 90’s these are the players I’d have liked him to sign for us when he was the biggest spending manager in world football and mostly buying shite to replace genuine legends.

Roy Keane
Alan Shearer
Tim Flowers
Colin Hendry
Gary Parker
Gary Speed
Brian Laudrup

I'll go at it from a similar POV as well. I'll try to avoid the Galacticos and go with what I think the team needed at the time.

Peter Schmeichel - If we had signed him to replace Grobbelaar instead of David James, we'd have a few more titles and they'd have a few less.

Des Walker - We bought Ruddock for a British record transfer fee for a defender, and Sheffield Wednesday broke it the very next day by signing Walker. Tenacious defender with pace. I always think he was underrated.

Roy Keane - What our midfield was missing since Souness broke up the late 80's team.

Chris Waddle - Superb player who would have helped during our long drought of quality wingers. Just keep him off pelanties!

Petr Cech - A quality keeper who, in my alternate universe scenario, would have almost completely filled the timegap between Schmeichel and Alisson.

Ashley Cole - Between Steve Nicol leaving (1994) and Andy Robertson arriving (2017), a paucity of nearly a quarter of a century at lb (barring the odd season). Ashley Cole would have almost covered that entire gap by himself.

Ngolo Kante - We all know how good he was. Would have replaced an injury ravaged Lucas Leiva. Him, Fabinho and Gini would have been one tough midfield!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10