Author Topic: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories  (Read 802925 times)

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
Re: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories
« Reply #4640 on: August 26, 2012, 10:38:10 am »
Today In History
August 26th

1922 Arsenal (Division One) Anfield 5-2
Dick Johnson 3' 5' 60' Tom Bromilow 30' Harry Chambers 46'
Att 40,962

1933 Wolverhampton Wanderers (Division One) Molineux 2-3
Dave Wright 35' Gordon Hodgson 61'(Pen)
Att 31,073

1939 Sheffield United (Division One)Bramall Lane 1-2
James McInnes
Att 25,483
*Season ended after 3 games because of outbreak of WW11*

1944 Stockport County(Football League Northern Section) Edgeley Park 3-2
Cyril Done 25' 80' Don Welsh 65'(Pen)
Att 5,300

1950 Sunderland (Division One) Anfield 4-0
Billy Liddell 14' 15' Albert Stubbins 32' 90'
Att 52,080

1953 Newcastle United (Division One) Anfield 2-2
Kevin Baron (2)
Att 47,263

1959 Bristol City (Division Two) Anfield 4-2
Billy Liddell 4' 30' Jimmy Melia 53'(Pen) Alan A'Court 65'
Att 33,071

1961 Leeds United (Division Two) Anfield 5-0
Roger Hunt 6' 48' 74' Kevin Lewis 53'(Pen) Jimmy Melia 68'
Att 42,950

1962 Blackburn Rovers (Division One) Ewood Park 0-1
Att 21,700

1964 Leeds United (Division One) Elland Road 2-4
Roger Hunt 24' Gordon Milne 66'
Att 36,200

1967 Newcastle United (Division One)Anfield 6-0
Tony Hateley 8' 47' 75' Emlyn Hughes 30' Roger Hunt 41' 87'
Att 51,829

1972 Westham United (Division One) Anfield 3-2
Ferguson (OG) 62' Emlyn Hughes 64'
Att 50,491

1975 Leeds United (Division One) Elland Road 3-0
Ray Kennedy 26' Ian Callaghan 84' 88'
Att 36,186

1978 Manchester City (Division One) Maine Road 4-1
Graeme Souness 15' 48' Ray Kennedy 34' Kenny Dalglish 56'
Att 46,710

1985 Ipswich Town (Division One) Anfield 5-0
Steve Nicol 15' Ian Rush 23' 67' Jan Molby 27' Craig Johnston 90'
Att 29,383

1989 Luton Town (Division One)Kenilworth Road 0-0
Att 11,124

1995 Tottenham Hotspur (Premier League)White Hart Lane 3-1
John Barnes 7' 42' Robbie Fowler 54'
Att 31,254

1997 Leeds United (Premier League) Elland Road 2-0
Steve McManaman 23' KarlHeinz Riedle 74'
Att 39,775

2000 Southampton (Premier League) The Dell 3-3
Michael Owen 24' 64' Sami Hyypia 55'
Att 15,202

2005 CSKA Moscow (Super Cup Final) Stade Louis 11 - Monaco 3-1
Djibril Cisse 82' 103' Luis Garcia 119'
Att 17,000

2006 Westham United (Premier League)Anfield 2-1
Daniel Agger 42' Peter Crouch 45'
Att 43,965

2010 Trabzonspor AS(Europa League Play Off 2ed Leg) Huseyin Avni Aker Stadium 2-1
Remzi Giray Kacar (OG) 84' Dirk Kuyt 88'
Att 21,065

2012 Manchester City(Premier League) Anfield ?-?

TRANSERS IN

Emiliano Insua (2007)

TRANSFERS OUT

Gabriel Paletta (2007)

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

Benjamin Dabbs (1933)
Sam English (1933)
Dirk Kuyt (2006)

DEBUT GOALS

Tony Hateley (1967)
Emlyn Hughes (1967)
KarlHeinz Riedle (1997)
Daniel Agger (2006)

Born on this day

Sam Hardy (1882)
Thomas Lowry (1945)

Ah Crazy Horse!

1978: 3 years before I started going to games, but I remember this being on MOTD. It was a thoroughly convincing win that set the tone for what would follow that season. Next up in the League would be Tottenham with their 2 world cup winners from Argentina.

1985: The perfect response to the Newcastle loss. Steve Nicol, Ian Rush and Jan Molby have the game won well before half time. Rush scores his 2nd midway through the 2nd half, and Craig Johnston gets a late 5th. There were also some amusing moments in the crowd. Ipswich keeper Paul Cooper spent much of the 2nd half laughing at the "Cooperman" chants from the Kop, while the other moment I recall is after the 4th goal when the Kop start singing "going down", to which th Ipswich fans immediately replied with "so are we!".

1989: Liverpool dominate this game on the plastic pitch at Luton, but a goal proves elusive.

1995: A magnificent long range strike from John Barnes is the highlight of this superb display. Barnes had already opened the scoring, and Robbie Fowler completed the win before Spurs pulled one back.

1997: The Reds secure their 1st win of the season with this victory at Leeds.

2000: Istanbul in reverse!! Liverpool are 3 u with just 17 minutes to play before this unforgivable collapse. Marian Pahars gets 2 of Sanits goals. "We have to take a long look at ourselves in the mirror" said a very honest Sami Hyypia afterwards.

2005: Liverpool trail in this game, but level through Djibrill Cisse. The same palyer and luis Garcia score in extra time to give LFC their 2nd Super Cup in 5 years.

2006: A big mosaic is held up to commemorate the centenary of the Kop. Pepe Reina threatens to spoil the party when he inexplicably punches Marlon Harewood's cross into his own net. Liverpool are in front at half time though thanks to 2 goals at the Kop End. Daniel Agger majestically strides forward before unleashing a long range howitzer on 42 minutes, before Peter Crouch slides in the winner 2 minutes later. Dirk Kuyt makes a very lively debut as sub early in the 2nd half.

2010: Liverpool fall behind early on as the tie is levelled. Extra time looks likely until an own goal puts the Reds in command. Dirk Kuyt then taps in the winner. 

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #4641 on: August 26, 2012, 06:15:20 pm »
Today In History
August 26th

1989 Luton Town (Division One)Kenilworth Road 0-0
Att 11,124

Lutons plastic pitch again. we should have won this, David Burrows went close in the first half as did John Barnes with a delicious little chip. Late on the second half Liverpool came close once more when John Aldridge rifled a shot against the post.

1995 Tottenham Hotspur (Premier League)White Hart Lane 3-1
John Barnes 7' 42' Robbie Fowler 54'
Att 31,254

A very easy win this, John Barnes scored the first with a superb shot from 30 yards, Barnes then added a second following a sweeping move through the midfield and a razor sharp finish from Robbie Fowler gave us the 3 points even though late on John Barnes turned an Ille Dumitrescu corner into his own net.

1997 Leeds United (Premier League) Elland Road 2-0
Steve McManaman 23' KarlHeinz Riedle 74'
Att 39,775

Having drawn two and lost one of 3 games it is nice to get off the mark win wise, Steve McManaman, the subject of a 12m bid from Barcelona scores the first and Karl Heinz Riedle scores a superb second to make it 2-0.

2000 Southampton (Premier League) The Dell 3-3
Michael Owen 24' 64' Sami Hyypia 55'
Att 15,202

was not happy when i got off the golf course to hear this result, 2 superb finishes from Michael Owen and a goal from Sami Hyypia gives us a seemingly unassailable 3-0 lead. 8 minutes left we were 3 up and proceeded to throw it all away for a 3-3 draw.

2005 CSKA Moscow (Super Cup Final) Stade Louis 11 - Monaco 3-1
Djibril Cisse 82' 103' Luis Garcia 119'
Att 17,000

i was to be at a mates 21st that night but arrived late due to the game, i wont mention the mates name out of respect and youll see why next. We were behind for a long long time in this game but with 8 minutes left a defensive clearance struck Djibril Cisse and the ball rebounded over the keeper and Cisse latched onto it to stroke home into an empty net and force extra time. Cisse then scored a second when his first shot was saved and in the final minute Luis Garcia knocked one in at the back post to make it 3-1, european super cup winners!

2006 Westham United (Premier League)Anfield 2-1
Daniel Agger 42' Peter Crouch 45'
Att 43,965

the day was basked in glorious sunshine, so it would be rude at times like that not to have a lunchtime pint. early on though west ham took the lead thanks to Bobby Zamora although Pepe Reina was largely at fault. Before half time we were ahead thanks to an absolute screamer from Daniel Agger, his first for the club and then good footwork from Luis Garcia allowed Peter Crouch to score the winner. In the second half new signing from Feyenoord, Dirk Kuyt made his debut as sub following a 10m transfer and the enthusiasm shown towards Dirk would more than be reciprocated with his phenomenal work rate over the next 6 years. Craig Bellamy also had a goal disallowed in the second half but it was 3 points.

that night we were all at a big bbq and things were going great until my mate i mentioned (who had just turned 22) stole the show again, this time for all the wrong reasons as i was unfortunate to hear that due to a freak accident he had been tragically killed. I wont name him but needless to say i still miss him every day, 26-8-06 will always be in my mind. missing you loads mate.

2010 Trabzonspor AS(Europa League Play Off 2ed Leg) Huseyin Avni Aker Stadium 2-1
Remzi Giray Kacar (OG) 84' Dirk Kuyt 88'
Att 21,065

It looked as though we would regret all the missed chances from the first leg when Trabzonspor took an early lead to level the tie up but an own goal from Kacar and a late strike from Dirk Kuyt saw us advance to the next round in a pretty poor game which Roy Hodgson stupidly labelled " a famous european night"

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline andy in warrington

• ...wanking in the work bogs
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4642 on: August 26, 2012, 10:13:47 pm »
1995. I drove down to Tottenham and parked up 5 minutes walk from White Hart Lane. Very hot day. Loads of Liverpool support; had half of the away end,not just the corner we have now. Sat high up directly behind the goal with a perfect view of Barnes's great goal. Also remember Fowler scoring a great goal. He had bleached his hair if I remember correctly. Collymore had got injured at Leeds the game before so didn't play.

1997.  This was a mid week game, and for some reason I ended up watching the game from the disabled enclosure at Elland Road. I remember Riedle hitting a great goal.

2000.  I was on stag do in Newquay this weeknd, and watched what was happening on the Sky Soccer SAturday which was on the tv in the pub. 3-0 up we were cruising. Then they scored, and we collapsed. It was inevitable that they would equalise in injury time. Felt like a defeat.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4643 on: August 26, 2012, 11:52:40 pm »
August 27th memories post 1981 now.

1983: Joe Fagan's 1st League game as LFC manager gets off to a sensational start as Alan Kennedy concedes a 2nd minute penalty which Wolves convert. The goal rocks Liverpool for a while, but they regain their composure to earn a point through Ian Rush on the hour.

1984: It takes Paul Walsh just 14 seconds to open the scoring against West Ham on his home debut for the Reds. John wark scores twice in the 2nd half to complete a convincing win. It would be the last home League win for almost 3 months.

1988: John Aldridge adds to his Wembley double the previous week with a hat-trck as the Reds enjoy a 3-0 win at Selhurst Park against Charlton.

1991: An explosive finish early in the 2nd half at the Kop End gives Dean Saunders his 1st Liverpool goal. It is also sufficient to win a tight match against QPR.

2001: Liverpool don't turn up in the 1st half of this Monday night game at Bolton, and deservedly trail to a Michael Ricketts goal at the break. Emile Heskey puts them level, but Sander Westerveld is somehow  beaten by a Dean Holdsworth speculative shot in injury time to give Bolton the spoils. Westerveld would never play for Liverpool again as Gerard Houllier signs both Jerzy Dudek and Chris Kirkland shortly after.

2003: Liverpool dominate this home game against Tottenham without creating many real chances in a frustrating draw. Glenn Hoddle plays a 5 man defence, and all 5 are booked as Spurs make their intentions clear. Vladimir Smicer is the Reds stand out player, and Gerard Houllier is loudly booed when he takes him off in the 2nd half.

2008: Liverpool really are riding their luck in the early part of this season. As in the 1st leg in Belgium, Standard Liege are much the better side in the 2nd leg of this CL 3rd qualifying round. Only a succession of saves by Pepe Reina keeps Liverpool alive before Dirk Kuyt turns in an undeserved winner with just 2 minutes of extra time remaining.

2010: Jordan Henderson scores his 1st LFC goal as the Reds take a 14 th minute lead at home to Bolton. Martin Skrtel and Charlie Adam then score in the space of a minute early in the 2nd half. The Reds produce some excellent football, but fail to add to their lead. Ivan Klasnic gets one back for the well beaten visitors with virtually the last kick of the match.

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #4644 on: August 27, 2012, 01:28:10 am »
Born on this day

Steve Harkness (1971)
Dietmar Hamann (1973)
Nabil El Zhar (1986)
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4645 on: August 27, 2012, 09:57:28 am »
August 27th memories

1984: A 3-0 win over West Ham is notable for the explosive impact debutant Paul Walsh had, Walsh arrived at the tail end (i think) of the previous season and took less than a minute to open the scoring. Another new signing, John Wark, added the others

1988: 4 years later, another 3 nil win over Londoners, this time for West Ham, read Charlton Athletic. John Aldridge must have been at times worried about what impact new signing Ian Rush would have, Rush who made a surprise return following one year in Italy with Juventus was only a sub on the day and Aldridge did his best with a massive statement of intent by scoring 3, one better than the previous week when he bagged two against Wimbledon making it 5 in 2 games. In the first half we scored pretty much how we had done most of the previous season as a surging left wing run from John Barnes gave him space to cross, it bounced a little awkwardly but Aldridge reacted brilliant to head home making it look like a very good cross, though Barnes was that good he probably intended it anyway.

The second half saw more of a route one job as a long ball from Barry Venison released Aldridge whose first effort was saved by former red Bob Bolder, although Aldridge reacted with a clinical finish, and there was more to come when another long ball, this time by Jan Molby released Peter Beardsley, he held it up for Barnes to surge forward, Barnes may have been shooting but as i said before he is that good that he probably intended to play in Aldridge at the back post who slid home for his hattrick. 3-0 and the champions began the season pretty much how they played all of the previous season. Could anyone stop us?

1991: As mentioned previous the summer of 1991 i was just 8 and i remember just playing out on the street, running around, playing football and cycling everywhere all summer, i remember it rained a lot but it was one i just remember fondly, cartoons and wrestling too played a big part in it (was impatiently awaiting summerslam 1991). I remember not being to fond of our new kits either but was still eager to see how we would get on with Dean Saunders upfront. Saunders rifled a spectacular shot smack into the top corner of the kop end goal on this day in 1991 as we beat QPR 1-0. 3 games in he was getting a lot of stick but this was one way to ram it down everyones throat, I always felt Saunders was sold too soon by us, he lasted a little of a season. This was the first of 23 goals in his one full season with us.

2001: A horrific monday night defeat against newly promoted Bolton was best remembered for the mistake made by Sander Westerveld late on. Before that Michale Ricketts gave Bolton the lead and although Emile Heskey levelled, a last minute strike from Dean Holdsworth gave Bolton the win (2-1). Heskey was about to begin a dreadful run infront of goal, the big striker who scored 22 the previous season would score just one goal between now and February, as for Westerveld, the big Dutch keeper had played his last game for the club. Sander claimed in later years he already knew before the game he was pretty much finished. He stayed until Christmas but by then his departure wasnt even noticeable. 4 days later Gerard Houllier purchased both Chris Kirkland from Coventry and Jerzy Dudek from Feyenoord, Westervelds time was up.

2003: Having failed to win our opening two games there is atleast some consolation with a point here as the style of play was meant to be amazing, several changes were made to the team as I remember Igor Biscan getting rave reviews at centre back with people even saying he was the next Emlyn Hughes. however it finished 0-0 despite the chances created.

2008: If it werent for Pepe Reina we would have been murdered, it takes 118 minutes for us to score here and it does flatter us when Dirk Kuyt gives us a 1-0 win over the Belgians to qualify for the next round of the champions league (groups).

2011: had a really good night in the pub with me mates for this, got to the pub just before kick off and ended up there til closing, no doubt in my mind we were going to tear Bolton apart. In the first half we totally dominated before a superb ball from Luis Suarez allowed Stewart Downing to shoot, but Downings effort was brilliantly pushed away by Bolton keeper Jussi Jaaskelainen, Jordan Henderson eventually found the space to curl home a superb shot. Chances came and went, there were strong appeals for a penalty when there appeared to be a handball which may have been about an inch outside the box. Suarez went close with one chip and Dirk Kuyt had an effort blazed across the face of goal.

In the second half we took control as a Charlie Adam corner was met with a crushing header from Martin Skrtel (very similar to yesterdays goal), the big Slovak came on at right back for the injured Martin Kelly, and a minute later it was Adam's turn as his right foot shot flew in the bottom corner of the Kop for his first goal for us. 3-0 and with half an hour to go the floodgates were bound to open. Suarez was a constant thorn in their side, he was robbed of a penalty while Jaaskelainen somehow got away with handling a backpass. 6 or 7 nil wouldnt have flattered us but late on we were denied a clean sheet when a clumsy mistake from Jamie Carragher allowed Martin Petrov to run in on goal and although Carragher recovered he could only steer it into the path of Ivan Klasnic who rolled it into an empty net for 3-1. It was bad not to keep a clean sheet but atleast we were top of the table.

this lasted about 24 hours as the next day Man City walloped Spurs 5-1 at White Hart Lane while at Old Trafford, Manchester United took Arsenal to the cleaners, destroying them 8-2.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4646 on: August 27, 2012, 11:23:47 pm »
August 28th memories:

1982: This match incorrectly appeared in Rafa_La's history for August 25th. The Reds begin their final season under Bob Paisley with a 2-0 win against West Brom at Anfield. Sammy Lee opens the scoring with a thunderbolt free kick just before the hour, and Phil Neal seals victory from the penalty spot.

1990: Another 2-0 home win, this time against Nottingham Forest. The Reds tear into Forest from the start and hit the post in the 1st minute. It takes until 51 minutes though for Ian Rush to break the deadlock, while Peter Beardsley gives the score a more realistic look 7 minutes from time. An 18 year old by the name of Roy Keane made his Forest debut that night. Wonder whatever became of him?

1993: Yet another 2-0 home win. This time it's Leeds who fall to two goals at the Anfield Road End, the difference being that these are scored in the 1st half. Jan Molby opens the scoring with a penalty. Ian Rush then scores 5 minutes before half time with what looked at 1st like a header, but the ball actually appears to come off the end of his nose, which is about 6 inches away from his head!!!

1994: A day that will be remembered as the 1st match played in front of the then partially seated Kop. There was no roof, but thankfully it was a beautiful Sunday afternoon. There were 31 rows at the time, and I had been initially allocated a seat in row 28. I moved to row 25 once the rebuilding was complete.

The match itself against Arsenal will be remembered for Robbie Fowler netting a hat-trick in 4 minutes 33 seconds. He opens the scoring on 26 minutes when Arsenal fail to clear a free kick, and adds the 2nd 3 minutes later when Steve McManaman sets him up for a shot that goes in off the post. His 3rd on 31 minutes shows coolness way beyond his 19 years as he makes a run behind Tony Adams to reach a John Barnes pass. His initial effort is blocked by David Seaman, but Fowler curls the rebound from a tight angle into the far corner of the Anfield Road net to complete his treble. Liverpool had 16 goal attempts that day of which 15 were on target. The one wayward effort was a 2nd half shot from Jamie Redknapp that cleared the post by know more than a couple of feet.

1999: Another tremendous performance against Arsenal in which Robbie Fowler again takes centre stage. He opens the scoring on 8 minutes with a stunning long range effort that clips the underside of the bar on it's way in. Liverpool blitz Arsenal after that, but have to wait until 69 minutes to get the 2nd when a Patrik Berger free kick deflects in off an Arsenal defender. It was though the only bit of luck we got all afternoon as the final score did not do justice to the performance.

2007: An emotional night at Anfield. Before the game the parents of 11 year old Rhys Jones, who was tragically killed in a shooting a few days earlier, are presented to the crowd, just as they had been at Goodison the previous Saturday. Rhys was an Evertonian, so LFC pay a moving tribute to him by playing a few bars of Z Cars before YNWA gets sung. The tributes finish with a minutes applause which reduced a few people to tears. The visiting fans from Toulouse also enthusiastically join in.

Once the football gets underway, Liverpool make short work of seeing off Toulouse to book their place in the CL group stage. Peter Crouch scores after 19 minutes to double the aggregate. The 2nd half has barely started when Sami Hyypia heads in a corner, and 2 late strikes from Dirk Kuyt complete a very convincing 4-0 win on the night, 5-0 on aggregate.

In my time of going to the match, this date has produced 6 home wins with a goal difference of 15-0. Can we please have a home game every year on August 28th?

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4647 on: August 27, 2012, 11:58:00 pm »
Today In History
August 28th

1920 Manchester City (Division One) Anfield 4-2
Tom Miller (2) Walter Wadsworth Donald MacKinlay
Att 45,000

1926 Manchester United (Division One) Anfield 4-2
Gordon Hodgson 24' Dick Forshaw 26' 32' 75'
Att 34,795

1937 Chelsea ( Division One) Stamford Bridge 1-6
Edwin Harston 13'
Att 41,553

1943 Manchester City (Football League Northern Section) Anfield 4-1
Jack Balmer 6' 30' 89' Cyril Done
Att 16,000

1948 Sunderland (Division One) Anfield 4-0
Bill Watkinson Billy Liddell 44' Willie Fagan 47' Jack Balmer 80'
Att 52,253

1954 Derby County (Division Two) Baseball Ground 2-3
John Evans 60' Louis Bimpson 79'
Att 18,777

1957 Huddersfield Town (Division Two) Anfield 1-1
Alan A'Court 59'
Att 41,447

1963 Nottingham Forest (Division One)Anfield 1-2
Robert McKinlay (OG) 54'
Att 49,829

1967 Arsenal (Division One) Highbury 0-2
Att 33,420

1971 Leicester City (Division One)Anfield 3-2
Steve Heighway 25' Kevin Keegan 35' John Toshack 71'
Att 50,970

1973 Coventry City (Division One) Highfield Road 0-1
Att 29,305

1976 Birmingham City (Division One) St Andrews 1-2
David Johnson 75'
Att 33,228

1978 Sheffield United (League Cup 2ed Round)Bramall Lane 0-1
Att 35,753

1990 Nottingham Forest (Division One) Anfield 2-0
Ian Rush 52' Peter Beardsley 83'
Att 33,363

1993 Leeds United (Premier League) Anfield 2-0
Ian Rush 24' Jan Molby 39' (Pen)
Att 44,068

1994 Arsenal (Premier League) Anfield 3-0
Robbie Fowler 26' 29' 31'
Att 30,017

1999 Arsenal (Premier League) Anfield 2-0
Robbie Fowler 8' Patrik Berger 76'
Att 44,886

2002 Blackburn Rovers (Premier League) Ewood Park 2-2
Danny Murphy 31' John Arne Riise 77'
Att 29,207

2007 Toulouse (UEFA Champions League 3erd qualifying round 2ed leg)Anfield 4-0
Peter Crouch 19' Sami Hyypia 49' Dirk Kuyt 87' 90'
Att 43,118

TRANSFERS OUT

Alan Irvine (1987)

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

Dick Edmed (1926)
Ted Harston (1937)
Bernard Ramsden (1937)
Salif Diao (2002)
Lucas Leiva (2007)
Sebastian Leto (2007)

DEBUT GOALS

Walter Wadsworth (1920)
Ted Harston (1937)
David Johnson (1976)

Born on this day

John Evans (1929)
Emlyn Hughes (Born 28-8-1947-Died 9-11-2004-Aged 57)

Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4648 on: August 28, 2012, 12:18:57 am »
28th August 1971 : Liverpool 3 Leicester City 2

A most entertaining game, settled by a superb diving header from John Toshack in front of the Kop when he throws himself at what was almost certainly a shot by Emlyn Hughes. Ray Clemence makes a quite dreadful and uncharacteristic error by faling to catch a simple cross and that mistake leads to Leicester’s second goal. Goals here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNjCWIG_JQw

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4649 on: August 28, 2012, 12:19:42 am »
28th August 1973 : Coventry City 1 Liverpool 0

We return to Highfield Road only four months after getting a vital win there during the run-in to the previous season’s title. Ten of the men who played in the middle of April also start at the end of August, the only change being Steve Heighway in for Brian Hall. We lose to a fierce second-half strike from Tommy Hutchison. It was the only goal Hutchison scored against Liverpool in 22 matches for four different clubs (Blackpool, Coventry City, Manchester City and Swansea City).

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4650 on: August 28, 2012, 12:20:17 am »
28th August 1976 : Birmingham City 2 Liverpool 1

David Johnson scores his first Liverpool goal on his third appearance since signing from Ipswich Town. Johnson is injured in the act of scoring (he collides with a post) but before he can be fully treated Birmingham kick off and within seconds the ball is in our net as Joe Gallagher heads past Ray Clemence. So we can claim with some justification that we were unlucky to lose but there is no real excuse for our defence switching off the way it did in the seconds after Johnson’s equaliser.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4651 on: August 28, 2012, 12:21:04 am »
28th August 1978 : Sheffield United 1 Liverpool 0

After winning our opening three First Division matches and scoring 9 goals in the process while conceding only 2, Gary Hamson’s first-half goal dumps us out of the League cup at Second Division Sheffield United. We will go on to win the championship eight points clear of the second-placed club (Nottingham Forest); United, who are themselves knocked out of the League cup at home by Yorkshire neighbours Leeds United in the next round,  will go down to Division Three.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4652 on: August 28, 2012, 12:22:22 am »
28th August 1982 : Liverpool 2 West Bromwich Albion 0

A solid start to a new season (also Bob Paisley’s last season as manager). David Hodgson makes his League debut for the club and seems certain to make it a scoring debut to remember when he races clear with twenty minutes to go. But Albion goalkeeper Mark Grew pulls Hodgson down and referee Ken Redfern immediately awards a penalty-kick, which Phil Neal scores comfortably as Grew dives the wrong way. Earlier, Sammy Lee scores from a free-kick. Sammy was a good striker of a dead ball. People mostly remember his blistering free-kick past Joe Corrigan at Maine Road in April, 1982. But this one against West Bromwich was also perfectly executed. Lee plays as an emergency right-back in the second half after Mark Lawrenson is replaced by Craig Johnston in the last minute of the first half. Neal moves inside to partner Phil Thompson in central defence while Johnston takes over the midfield role vacated by Lee. Both Lee and Neal perform well in unfamiliar roles for the team.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4653 on: August 28, 2012, 12:22:56 am »
28th August 1990 : Liverpool 2 Nottingham Forest 0

I’m pretty sure this was Roy Keane’s debut for Forest. Even though he would cause us plenty of problems in the future, at the time of this match he was just an unknown 19-year-old Brian Clough had bought from Irish club Cobh Ramblers.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4654 on: August 28, 2012, 12:23:56 am »
28th August 1993 : Liverpool 2 Leeds United 0

Graeme Souness makes one change from the team beaten at home by Spurs in midweek, bringing in Don Hutchison for Steve Nicol. The manager names the same three substitutes from Wednesday (Mike Hooper, Mike Marsh and Mark Walters). Rush’s goal is his 200th League goal for Liverpool. Highlights here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoiY4usB61I

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4655 on: August 28, 2012, 12:24:49 am »
28th August 1994 : Liverpool 3 Arsenal 0

Robbie gets his quick-fire hat-trick in front of a very vocal Anfield Road end full of home support apart from a small section where those annoying “we won the League on Merseyside” Cock-er-nees have been shunted to while the Kop is being reuilt. Goals here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXHEtpT3UL4&playnext=1&list=PL15706F9EF51847B0&feature=results_video

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4656 on: August 28, 2012, 12:26:14 am »
28th August 1999 : Liverpool 2 Arsenal 0

Another early-season home win over Arsenal; another Robbie Fowler goal past David Seaman. Goal here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGJeYqY9B9E

Sander Westerveld saved a last-minute penalty from Davor Suker. Apart from in a shoot-out following a drawn match, it was the only penalty-kick Westerveld saved as Liverpool’s goalkeeper.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4657 on: August 28, 2012, 12:26:57 am »
28th August 2002 : Blackburn Rovers 2 Liverpool 2

We should have won. We came from behind to lead 2-1 and then Italian Corrado Grabbi scored this late header to earn Rovers a draw :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qziqZ-mw-ZM

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4658 on: August 28, 2012, 12:28:04 am »
28th August 2007 : Liverpool 4 Toulouse 0

A tribute is paid to murdered 11-year-old Merseyside schoolboy Rhys Jones before the match :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gURiuq926tE&feature=related

Goals here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E72XmKSUS6M

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4659 on: August 28, 2012, 12:30:28 am »
Today In History
August 28th

DEBUT GOALS

Walter Wadsworth (1920)

Walter was a commanding centre-half who was at Anfield for seven seasons immediately following the end of the First World War, although he had actually made his debut for the club at Middlesbrough in the Spring of 1915 before the national leagues were replaced by regional ones for the next four years. Wadsworth played regularly for Liverpool in the Lancashire tournaments during the war and made 33 League appearances for the club in the first post-war national First Division season of 1919-20, by which time his older brother Harold was also on Liverpool's books. When the club first won and then retained the League championship in 1922 & 1923, Walter played in 75 out of a maximum 84 matches and continued to be a regular in the side for the next two years. But towards the end of the 1924-25 season, he lost his place to David Pratt and made just 5 more first-team appearances in what would prove to be his final year as a Liverpool player, 1925-26. Walter made 242 First Division and F.A. cup appearances for Liverpool, scoring 8 times.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4660 on: August 28, 2012, 12:33:00 am »
Today In History
August 28th

Born on this day

John Evans (1929)

Inside-forward John signed for Liverpool in December 1953 from Charlton Athletic, for whom he had played 90 League matches, scoring 38 times. The Reds were sliding towards relegation after winning only 5 of their first 24 matches and at least John's introduction on Boxing Day 1953 saw a slight improvement with a draw taken from West Bromwich Albion's visit just 24 hours after the Midlanders had triumphed 5-2 at The Hawthorns. That started a run of 16 successive matches, in which Evans scored 3 times, but the introduction of a number of new players in the second-half of the season could not prevent the drop.

John only missed 4 League games in 1954-55 as Liverpool got used to life in the Second Division and scored 29 times, including all FIVE as Bristol Rovers were defeated 5-3 and all FOUR when Bury were beaten at Gigg Lane. He wasn't quite as prolific the next year but still managed 13 goals from 31 League appearances. But only a few weeks into the 1956-57 season, he lost his place to a young Jimmy Melia and was eventually transferred to Colchester United in December 1957, where he added another 22 League goals to an already impressive tally.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4661 on: August 28, 2012, 12:38:02 am »
Today In History
August 28th

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

Dick Edmed (1926)

Dick was a winger who arrived at Anfield esrly in 1926 and went straight into the first-team, missing only 4 of the 42 First Division games in his debut season. He was one of two ever-presents (the other being Tom Bromilow) the next year and netted 14 times, a high total for a winger - although he had also taken on the role of the club's penalty-taker by this time. He only missed 3 League games in 1928-29 and added a further 16 goals, a very impressive total considering that Robert Done was now taking the spot-kicks. Although he figured in two-thirds of the club's League fixtures in 1929-30, injury curtailed Dick's availability for the team and he was no longer sure of his place by the end of that season. He made just 12 appearances the next year before being replaced by Harold Barton. Dick subsequently moved to Bolton Wanderers in May, 1932.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4662 on: August 28, 2012, 12:40:50 am »
Today In History
August 28th

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

Ted Harston (1937)

DEBUT GOALS

Ted Harston (1937)

Ted was a forward who played for the club on 5 occasions during the first-half of the 1937-38 season. He scored after only 13 minutes of his debut at Chelsea on the opening day of the season but Liverpool were thrashed 6-1 !  He then scored twice in the next game when Portsmouth visited Anfield but lost his place in the side to Fred Howe after 4 matches had been played. Ted's only other appearance for the first eleven came when he replaced Howe at Blackpool towards the end of November 1937, a fixture the visitors won 1-0.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4663 on: August 28, 2012, 12:45:20 am »
Today In History
August 28th

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

Bernard Ramsden (1937)

Sheffield-born Bernard's Liverpool career lasted over a decade but the Second World War took away many years from that as far as competitive football was concerned. He was a full-back who made his debut for the club as a 19 year old at Chelsea on the opening day of the 1937-38 season. Bernard made 14 First Division appearances during his debut season and also played in the 4th round F.A. cup replay victory over Sheffield United in January ,1938. He was only selected for 10 League matches the following year but by the time the 1939-40 season opened he had become Liverpool's first-choice left-back. Unfortunately, that season was suspended after only 3 games due to the outbreak of war. Bernard was 27 when the war ended and still considered as the club's No. 3 in August 1946. Although he lost his place after making 18 consecutive appearances from the start of the season, that was enough to qualify for a championship medal even though he was rarely called on during the second half of the season. Ray Lambert took over his position in Liverpool's defence and Bernard moved on to Sunderland in March 1948 before finishing his playing career with their North-East neighbours Hartlepool.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 02:04:21 am by kriss »

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4664 on: August 28, 2012, 12:56:30 am »
Today In History
August 28th

1937 Chelsea ( Division One) Stamford Bridge 1-6
Edwin Harston 13'
Att 41,553

Our heaviest-ever opening day defeat, although the margin of defeat was the same as the 0-5 loss at Middlesbrough on the opening day of the 1929-30 season. We lost our first away match 2-6 at Portsmouth in the 1936-37 season but we had started that season with a 2-1 home win over Stoke City.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4665 on: August 28, 2012, 10:56:32 am »
Today In History
August 28th

Att 16,000

i wonder if this is one of the 3 games Balmer scored consecutive hattricks in, a record which still stands today

1948 Sunderland (Division One) Anfield 4-0
Bill Watkinson Billy Liddell 44' Willie Fagan 47' Jack Balmer 80'
Att 52,253

1954 Derby County (Division Two) Baseball Ground 2-3
John Evans 60' Louis Bimpson 79'
Att 18,777

1957 Huddersfield Town (Division Two) Anfield 1-1
Alan A'Court 59'
Att 41,447

1963 Nottingham Forest (Division One)Anfield 1-2
Robert McKinlay (OG) 54'
Att 49,829

1967 Arsenal (Division One) Highbury 0-2
Att 33,420

1971 Leicester City (Division One)Anfield 3-2
Steve Heighway 25' Kevin Keegan 35' John Toshack 71'
Att 50,970

1973 Coventry City (Division One) Highfield Road 0-1
Att 29,305

1976 Birmingham City (Division One) St Andrews 1-2
David Johnson 75'
Att 33,228

1978 Sheffield United (League Cup 2ed Round)Bramall Lane 0-1
Att 35,753

1990 Nottingham Forest (Division One) Anfield 2-0
Ian Rush 52' Peter Beardsley 83'
Att 33,363

The first home game of the new season for the defending champions, between April 1990 and December of the same year we dropped no points at Anfield, Forest had twice the previous season come from 2 down to get points against us, but not tonight. Ian Rush opens the scoring after a perfectly weighted ball by John Barnes. 7 minutes from time Peter Beardsley finishes superbly at the Anfield road end, it is the second of 8 consecutive wins from the start of the season for us, during that time Beardsley would score 8 times. As mentioned Roy Keane made his debut here after joining Forest from Irish side Cobh Ramblers (based in Keane's native Cork).

Keane would stay at Forest until 1993 before completing a British transfer record fee of 3.75m to Manchester United, Keane had at times been linked with us, during 1991-2 he was linked with a swop deal involving Dean Saunders. Keane also claimed in his autobiography to have received several angry phonecalls from our manager on this night, Kenny Dalglish. In the summer of 1993 Dalglish now managing Blackburn was convinced Keane had signed for his club, Keane however jilted the King and signed For United where he would play until 2005.

1993 Leeds United (Premier League) Anfield 2-0
Ian Rush 24' Jan Molby 39' (Pen)
Att 44,068

4 wins from 5 leave us in 2nd place just 1 point behind Man United although they will lead the league for the rest of the season, we wont win a league game until the start of October and dont even score a goal in September. Ian Rush opens the scoring with his nose! Jan Molby adds a penalty after Leeds Keeper John Lukic fouled Rob Jones. Leeds won the first division in May 1992, the last time the first division was recognized as the top flight, they had sealed this when they won 3-2 at Sheffield United (whilst we also beat their nearest rivals Manchester United to help them out). Leeds however had not won a league away match since although this run ended the following month at Southampton. 

I remember i ended up grounded that day at home, my mate and I had a row over water during football, he kept dragging it off me just as you put it to your mouth, very annoying on a hot day so i threw it over him, i was only 10 and he was 8, sure enough he went for me, it was just handbags initially til he start throwing punches and i caught him right on the nose which had bleeding into the sink. were still mates today, and hes about 3 inches taller. Thankfully it hasnt happened since.

1994 Arsenal (Premier League) Anfield 3-0
Robbie Fowler 26' 29' 31'
Att 30,017

You'll notice a very low attendance, due to the Taylor Report the standing Kop was to be replaced by an all seater Kop and was knocked down in April 1994. The Kop was pretty much empty for the first few months of the season, indeed the previous wednesday we had had a home game with Chelsea postponed as things werent ready, by the end of the season the Kop was pretty much back to full capacity, in our last home game Im pretty sure we had our only 40000+ attendance all season. This season the squad hadnt really changed much from the one that finished 8th the previous season but it did seem like a new team. All goals came in the first half, all courtesy of Robbie Fowler and remarkably Fowler's threesome took him less than 5 minutes. The following season Fowler would remarkably score another hattrick against the Gunners.

1999 Arsenal (Premier League) Anfield 2-0
Robbie Fowler 8' Patrik Berger 76'
Att 44,886

Fowler was at it again, I lose count of the amount of goals against this lot, Fowlers shot for the first goal threatened to break the Anfield road crossbar, stunning effort. Patrik Berger's free kick gave us a 2-0 win. At this point Arsenal had not beaten us in the league since March 1994, a period spanning 9 games now, during that time they scored just 2 goals, one of which was a penalty. speaking of penalties, late on big Sander Westerveld saved a spot kick from new Arsenal striker Davor Suker.

2002 Blackburn Rovers (Premier League) Ewood Park 2-2
Danny Murphy 31' John Arne Riise 77'
Att 29,207

Having won our opening two games confidence was high and the title challenge appeared on, but in the end we would finish just one place ahead of the unfancied blackburn who were managed by Graeme Souness. Both sides threw the lead away, David Dunn scored the opener for them, set up by Damien Duff who we were linked with all summer, we would be linked with Duff pretty much every summer for atleast 4 years and I regret we never signed him at this time.

Danny Murphy wasted little time in equalizing and we appeared to have stolen all three points thanks to a looping header from John Arne Riise but a late header from Corrado Grabbi levelled it up for them. It was the first of 3 consecutive 2-2 draws for us, all of which we lead until the last 8 minutes. As for strikers, Grabbi was signed for a hefty 7m + fee but i think he only scored about 2-3 goals in 2 seasons while for Liverpool El Hadji Diouf was said to have fucked off to Paris the night before and the 10m man wasnt even in the squad.

2007 Toulouse (UEFA Champions League 3erd qualifying round 2ed leg)Anfield 4-0
Peter Crouch 19' Sami Hyypia 49' Dirk Kuyt 87' 90'
Att 43,118

we made easy work of this and I had Peter Crouch for first goal which never hurts, Sami Hyypia was captain for the night as Jamie Carragher broke a rib against Sunderland, i think Steven Gerrard had a knock too, Hyypia had himself broken his nose against Sunderland but a typical bullet header from Sami showed he wasnt at all fazed, late on Dirk Kuyt scored twice to give us a 4-0 win. It was the first goals he scored that season in Europe and as the season rolled on he would add a further 5. The match also saw Lucas make his debut.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4666 on: August 28, 2012, 08:43:44 pm »
Today In History
August 28th

Att 16,000

i wonder if this is one of the 3 games Balmer scored consecutive hattricks in, a record which still stands today

No, it wasn't. The three matches in question were :

Home to Portsmouth : Saturday 9th November 1946 (3 goals in a 3-0 win)
Away to Derby County : Saturday 16th November 1946 (4 goals in a 4-1 win)
and
Home to Arsenal (Saturday 23rd November 1946 (3 goals in a 4-2 win)

And those were the only three hat-tricks that Jack Balmer scored for Liverpool in competitive peacetime matches.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 08:46:13 pm by kriss »

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4667 on: August 28, 2012, 08:57:12 pm »
No, it wasn't. The three matches in question were :

Home to Portsmouth : Saturday 9th November 1946 (3 goals in a 3-0 win)
Away to Derby County : Saturday 16th November 1946 (4 goals in a 4-1 win)
and
Home to Arsenal (Saturday 23rd November 1946 (3 goals in a 4-2 win)

And those were the only three hat-tricks that Jack Balmer scored for Liverpool in competitive peacetime matches.
*takes hat off once again*

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4668 on: August 28, 2012, 11:26:08 pm »
28th August 2002 : Blackburn Rovers 2 Liverpool 2

We should have won. We came from behind to lead 2-1 and then Italian Corrado Grabbi scored this late header to earn Rovers a draw :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qziqZ-mw-ZM

Shame on me forgetting a match I was at!! Damien Duff destroyed Abel Xavier that night, and it was Duff who set up David Dunne to give Blackburn an 18th minute lead. Danny Murphy levelled on the half hour, and John Arne Riise looked to have won it with a very rare headed goal. Corrado Grabbi salvaged a point for Blackburn with another header.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4669 on: August 28, 2012, 11:40:44 pm »
Don't recall xavier playing much after that

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4670 on: August 28, 2012, 11:48:40 pm »
29th August now.

1981: Liverpool start with a defeat for the 1st time since 1975 as Wolves score the only goal at Molineux.

1987: While most teams were playing there 4th game of the season, the collpased sewer under the Kop meant that this was only Liverpool's 2nd. I was among a mass of Reds fans who travelled to Coventry to watch the Reds destroy the FA Cup holders with a vibrant display of attacking football. Steve Nicol opened the scoring on 18 minutes, and doubled the lead shortly after half time. It was 3-0 virtually straight from the restart when John Aldridge converted a penalty for a foul on John Barnes. Liverpool continued to pour forward towards the open terrace where the bulk of their fans were massed, and the only surprise was that it took until the 82nd minute for goal number 4 which came from a mazy run from Peter Beardsley, who calmy finished for his 1st LFC goal. A superb last gasp strike from Cyril Regis was mere consolation for the hosts. Coventry's likeable manager John Sillett said afterwards "Why can't they do it somewhere else instead of here at Highfield Road?" Liverpool would do it somewhere else on many occassions that season.

1988: The Reds hosted Nottingham Forest in a game that I can't remember the significance of? The 1st half was goalless, but Ray Houghton, Jan Molby from the spot, and Barry Venison scored 3 of the 2nd half goals in a 4-1 success. Neil Webb got a late reply for Forest.

1992: Liverpool fell behind to an early Gary McAllister goal at Leeds. Ronnie Whelan hit a magnificent equaliser just before half time, and Jan Molby made it 2-1 with around 20 minutes to go. Lee Chapman scored late on to ensure the spoils were shared. 

2004: Rafa Benitez gets his 1st experience of the Big Sam version of the 'beautiful game'!! Bolton score the only goal at the Reebok, while Sami Hyypia spends the entire game stupidly nosing Kevin Davies in the elbow!!

2009: A better day at Bolton. Kevin Davies is again heavily involved as he gives the hosts a 33rd minute lead which Fernando Torres cancels out 8 minutes later. Avi Cohen's son Tamir then restores the home sides lead just after the break, but Stuart Davies is red carded for a 2nd booking a few minutes later. Liverpool make the extra man count as Glen Johnson makes it 2 each on 56 minutes, and Steven Gerrard gets the winner on 83.

2010: A very unconvincing performance, but Dirk Kuyt sets up Fernando Torres at the Kop End on 64 minutes to score the only goal against West Brom.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4671 on: August 28, 2012, 11:52:08 pm »
Don't recall xavier playing much after that

I try not to recall Xavier ever playing!!!

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4672 on: August 29, 2012, 12:48:48 am »
Today In History
August 29th

1923 Birmingham City (Division One) Anfield 6-2
Harry Chambers (3) James Walsh (2) Dick Forshaw
Att 16,000

1925 Leicester City(Division One) Filbert Street 1-3
Donald MacKinlay 88'
Att 31,685

1931 Newcastle United (Division One) St James Park 1-0
Gordon Hodgson
Att 30,298

1932 Sheffield United (Division One) Bramall Lane 2-6
Joe Gunson 30' Edmund Crawford 42'
Att 10,377

1934 Manchester City (Division One)Maine Road 1-3
Gordon Hodgson 2'
Att 25,567

1936 Stoke City (Division One) Anfield 2-1
Alf Hanson 6' Berry Nieuwenhuys 70'
Att 28,524

1942 Wrexham (Football League Northern Section)Racecourse Ground 4-3
Berry Nieuwenhuys Billy Liddell Stan Palk (Pen) G.R.Mills
Att 2,500

1945 Bolton Wanderers (Football League Northern Section)Anfield 2-2
Phil Taylor Peter Kippax
Att 17,437

1951 Burnley (Division One) Anfield 3-1
Albert Stubbins 12' Cyril Done 44' Billy Liddell 86'
Att 32,856

1953 Bolton Wanderers (Division One) Burnden Park 0-2
Att 28,277

1956 Notts County (Division Two)Anfield 3-3
Geoff Twentyman (2) Louis Bimpson
Att 41,095

1959 Hull City (Division Two) Anfield 5-3
James Harrower 52' Jimmy Melia 58' Ronnie Moran 65' Alan A'Court
Att 35,520

1962 Manchester City (Division One) Anfield 4-1
Ian St John 3' Roger Hunt 55' 69' Alan A'Court 65'
Att 46,073

1964 Blackburn Rovers (Division One) Ewood Park 2-3
Phil Ferns 16' Tommy Smith 22'
Att 26,865

1970 Westbromwich Albion (Division One) The Hawthorns 1-1
Alun Evans 25'
Att 31,624

1979 Tranmere Rovers (League Cup 2ed round 1st leg)Prenton Park 0-0
Att 16,759

1981 Wolverhampton Wanderers (Division One) Molinuex 0-1
Att 28,001

1987 Coventry City (Division One) Highfield Road 4-1
Steve Nicol 20' 49' John Aldridge 52'(Pen) Peter Beardsley 83'
Att 27,637

1988 Nottingham Forest (Centenary Trophy QF) Anfield 4-1
Barry Venison 50' Jan Molby 70' Ray Houghton 75' John Barnes 84'
Att 20,141

1992 Leeds United (Premier League)Elland Road 2-2
Ronnie Whelan 44' Jan Molby 70' (Pen)
Att 29,597

2004 Bolton Wanderers (Premier League) Reebok Stadium 0-1
Att 27,880

2009 Bolton Wanderers (Premier League) Reebok Stadium 3-2
Glen Johnson 41' Fernando Torres 57' Steven Gerrard 83'
Att 23,284

2010 Westbromwich Albion (Premier League) Anfield 1-0
Fernando Torres 66'
Att 41,194

George Kay Reds 6th manager took charge of his 1st game on this day in 1936

TRANSFERS IN

David Murray (1904)
Raul Meireles (2010)

DEBUT GAMES

Jimmy Walsh (1923)
Alf Hobson (1936)
Philip Ferns (1964)
Steve Heighway (1970)
Bruce Grobbelaar (1981)
Craig Johnston (1981)
Mark Lawrenson (1981)
Xabi Alonso (2004)
Luis Garcia (2004)
Sotirios Kyrgiakos (2009)

DEBUT GOALS

Jimmy Walsh (1923)
Ronnie Moran (1959)
Philip Ferns (1964)
Tommy Smith (1964)
Peter Beardsley 1987)
Barry Venison (1988)

Born on this day

Gerry Byrne (1938)
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4673 on: August 29, 2012, 01:04:21 am »
29th August 1970 : West Bromwich Albion 1 Liverpool 1

My first visit to The Hawthorns. Alun Evans is on fire at the start of this season. He gives us the lead with a crisp half-volley past Jim Cumbes for his 4th goal in the opening five First Division matches. Albion legend Jeff Astle gets the equaliser a few minutes from the end. A draw is a fair result. Steve Heighway comes on for Peter Thompson mid-way through the second half to make his first-team debut for Liverpool.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4674 on: August 29, 2012, 01:04:43 am »
29th August 1979 : Tranmere Rovers 0 Liverpool 0

Liverpool and Tranmere meet in a competitive match for the first time since 1934. Bob Paisley picks a strong team, the same team that had beaten West Bromwich Albion four days earlier. The Rovers team selected by John King includes Steve Peplow, a forward who was at Anfield in the second half of the 1960s.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4675 on: August 29, 2012, 01:05:38 am »
29th August 1981 : Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 Liverpool 0

Competitive Liverpool debuts on the opening day of a new season for Bruce Grobbelaar, Mark Lawrenson and (as a second-half substitute for Ray Kennedy) Craig Johnston. Molineux seems to be in a permanent state of redevelopment but the visiting supporters are still housed on the enormous South Bank terrace. We lose to a second-half goal from Mick Matthews.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4676 on: August 29, 2012, 01:06:19 am »
29th August 1987 : Coventry City 1 Liverpool 4

After scoring on the opening day of the season in London, Steve Nicol adds another two goals in Coventry; John Aldridge is successful with a penalty-kick and Peter Beardsley scores his first Liverpool goal. Coventry manager John Sillett generously acknowledges the overall brilliance of our performance but bemoans the fact that we did it at his stadium (“Why can’t they go somewhere else and do it rather than here at Highfield Road?!”).

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4677 on: August 29, 2012, 01:06:48 am »
29th August 1988 : Liverpool 4 Nottingham Forest 1

The unimportance of the Centenary Trophy is reflected in a crowd that only just creeps over the twenty thousand mark. Once out on the pitch though, the players take it seriously enough and demolish Forest pretty comfortably. To be fair to Forest manager Brian Clough, he also selects a strong and experienced team to oppose us. Barry Venison gets the first of his three Liverpool goals.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4678 on: August 29, 2012, 01:08:43 am »
29th August 1992 : Leeds United 2 Liverpool 2

Four days after a late Ipswich goal cost us two points at Portman Road, much the same thing happens at Elland Road. Wer have got ourselves into a winning position after falling behind to Gary McAllister’s early goal. The team has defended resolutely for nearly twenty minutes after Jan Mølby’s penalty has put us ahead. But with time running out Gordon Strachan’s corner is flicked on and Lee Chapman heads past David James. Ronnie Whelan’s goal is a brilliant “curler” past John Lukic (from 4 minutes 36 seconds on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2Mf602qkdY).

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4679 on: August 29, 2012, 01:09:19 am »
29th August 2004 : Bolton Wanderers 1 Liverpool 0

We lose at The Reebok Stadium for only the second time (in five visits) but defeat is shrouded in controversy because debutant Luis Garcia wrongly has a goal disallowed for offside. Xabi Alonso is another player making his first appearance for the club. Sami Hyypia breaks his nose in an early clash with Kevin Davies and has to be replaced by Djimi Traore. The injury is not serious enough to rule Sami out of the next match. Kevin Davies scores the goal that beats us, having twice previously scored against us for Southampton.