Author Topic: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories  (Read 829740 times)

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories
« Reply #4480 on: August 17, 2012, 12:11:42 am »
17th August 1985 : Liverpool 2 Arsenal 0

The post-Heysel era starts at an understandably subdued Anfield with a short service to honour those who died in Brussels. Our new player-manager selects himself in a strong team and it is his cross, headed in by Steve Nicol, that finally gives us a two-goal cushion to which the Londoners have no response.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4481 on: August 17, 2012, 12:13:18 am »
17th August 1991 : Liverpool 2 Oldham Athletic 1

Three of our team are making their Liverpool first-team debuts (Dean Saunders, Mark Wright and Mark Walters). I was delighted to find the goals because I hadn’t seen them since the day of the match. Here they are (the first clip on this “Granada Goals Extra” show :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYSii4xNC-8).

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4482 on: August 17, 2012, 12:14:27 am »
17th August 1996 : Middlesbrough 3 Liverpool 3

A high-scoring match between Liverpool and Middlesbrough is certainly the exception rather than the rule. It is the first time Boro’  have scorerd three against us since 1960 and they all come from one man, Fabrizio Ravanelli. I am at Goodison Park watching Everton play Newcastle. As the full-time results appear on the scoreboard, I see the looks of glee on Evertonian faces at “Middlesbrough 3” change to scowls of disappointment as “Liverpool 3” follows it. Goals from Ayresome Park here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v40w_y-OOXQ

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4483 on: August 17, 2012, 12:17:09 am »
17th August 2003 : Liverpool 1 Chelsea 2

We lose our opening League fixture for the first time since 1992-93. Not for the last time Eiður Guðjohnsen misses a ‘sitter’ at the Kop end. Goals and Guðjohnsen’s miss here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upH_D7FuTiA

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #4484 on: August 17, 2012, 12:41:32 am »
Today In History
August 17th

1964 Knattspyrnufélag Reykjavíkur (European Cup 1st Round 1st Leg)Laugardalsvollur 5-0
Gordon Wallace 3' 60' Roger Hunt 46' 88' Phil Chisnall 57'
Att 10,268

1968 Arsenal (Division One ) Highbury 1-1
Roger Hunt 50'
Att 43,535

1970 Blackpool (Division One) Bloomfield Road 0-0
Att 28,818

1971 Wolverhampton Wanderers (Division One) Anfield 3-2
John Toshack 7' Steve Heighway 27' Tommy Smith 89'(Pen)
Att 51,869

1973 Anderlecht (Friendly) Stade Emile Verse 0-0
Att 18,000

1974 Luton Town (Division One) Kenilworth Road 2-1
Tommy Smith 31' Steve Heighway 74'
Att 21,062

1985 Arsenal (Division One) Anfield 2-0
Ronnie Whelan 33' Steve Nicol 61'
Att 38,261

1991 Oldham Athletic (Division One) Anfield 2-1
Ray Houghton 53' John Barnes 78'
Att 38,841

1996 Middlesbrough (Premier League) Riverside 3-3
Stig Inge Bjornebye 4' John Barnes 29' Robbie Fowler 65'
Att 30,039

2003 Chelsea (Premier League) Anfield 1-2
Michael Owen 79' (Pen)
Att 44,082

Bob Paisley's 1st game as LFC Manager on this day in 1974

Kenny Dalglish's 1st game as LFC Manager on this day in 1985

TRANSFERS   IN

Antonio Núñez (2004)

LFC Debuts on this day

Dean Saunders (1991)
Mark Walters (1991)
Mark Wright (1991)
Steve Finnan (2003)
Harry Kewell (2003)

Debut Goals on this day

Phil Chisnal (1964)
Stig Inge Bjørnebye (1996)

Born on this day

Alan Scott (1910)
Jan Kromkamp (1980)
Øyvind Leonhardsen (1970)
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4485 on: August 17, 2012, 12:43:31 am »
European debut in Iceland
Forty seven ago, on the Monday the 17th of August 1964, Liverpool played their first European game. The great European history of Liverpool started on the Laugardalsvöllur in Reykjavik the capital of Iceland. The opponents were the Icelandic champions K.R. Knattspyrnufélag Reykjavíkur.

Liverpool FC celebrating their title triumph in 1963-64.Liverpool have won nine titles in their European history. Four European cups, three UEFA cups and two Super cups. The European history of Liverpool is a glorious chapter in the unique history of the most successful football team in English football. That is why this game in Reykjavik is regarded so important in the history of Liverpool F.C. It marks the start of Liverpool´s European odyssey.

Liverpool had played West Ham United at Anfield for the Charity Shield on the Saturday the 15th of August. The teams drew 2-2 and shared the Shield. Gordon Wallace & Gerry Byrne scored Liverpool´s goals. Wallace got his chance in the side because Ian St. John was recovering from appendicitis. The day after the Charity Shield the team took off to Iceland.

It is worth noting that Liverpool were due to play in Iceland only two days after playing West Ham. Talking about a heavy fixture program of the modern game! The voyage to Iceland was not all straight forward. The captain Ron Yeats remembered the trip well. "It´s amazing how things have changed over the years, especially when you look back at that first European trip to Iceland. Most of us didn´t know where Reykjavik was. It was a terrible journey and we got there by the most astonishing circuitous route. We flew from Speke to London, then from London to Prestwick in Scotland and finally caught a flight from there to Iceland." (As told in the book "Liverpool in Europe" page 7 by Stephen F. Kelly. Published by CollinsWillow in 1992.) On the way to Iceland the plane flew over a volcanic eruption in the middle of the sea. The Liverpool party could view the island Surtsey in the making. In the end Bill Shankly and all made in safe and sound to Iceland.

The players of Liverpool and K.R. took the field at the national stadium of Iceland in the late afternoon arctic summersun. Natural floodlights if there ever was! The wind was light. Blowing from the north west. It was a nice night but it turned a bit chilly when the sun stopped went down as the game went into the evening. The game was big news in Iceland as well as Liverpool and 10,268 people turned up at Laugardalsvöllur. I gather that was a record for the stadium at the time. Liverpool played in red shirts and white shorts. The all red kit was not introduced until later that season. K.R. wore black and white striped shirts and black shorts like Newcastle United.

Liverpool couldn´t have started their European adventure any better. In the 3rd minute Liverpool scored. The young Scot Gordon Wallace scored from just outside the six yard box after good work from Roger Hunt. The goal was timed at 180 sec. Gordon later recalled this historic goal. "I remember Roger Hunt going to the byline and squaring it back to me. I was only six yards out and to be honest I mi**** it. The ball went in between the goalkeeper and the near post. It was the club´s first time in Europe and everything was new to us." (Liverpool matchday magazine 26.09.2001.) By defending for their lives K.R. kept the score at 1-0 after 45 minutes.

The wind turned a bit during half time and kept its intention to blow to the backs of the home side! But though the wind turned to help the home side it was to prove a little help for K.R. The first half was a one way traffic and the second half proved to be even more more difficult for the Icelandic amateurs. In the 46th Liverpool scored again. The England striker Roger Hunt scored from the edge of the six yard box after good work from Gordon Wallace. Five Icelandic defenders couldn't stop this great goalscorer. The best chance that the Icelandic team got came with the score at 2-0. Ellert Schram´s header got past Tommy Lawrence but Ronnie Moran was on hand to clear on the goal line. Shortly after this, in the 57th minute, Phil Chisnall scored Liverpool´s third after good work from Ian Callaghan. Phil got a rare chance in the side because Alf Arrowsmith had been injured in the Charity Shield game. Three minutes later Gordon Wallace scored his second goal. The Scot headed the ball home from close range after a good cross from Ian Callaghan. Two minutes before the end of the game the fifth goal came. Roger Hunt then scored his second of the night with a powerful shoot from more that 20 yards. The goal of the game in the opinion of the Icelandic press reporters.

I have reports from the game from two Icelandic papers Morgunbladid (The Morningpaper) and Timinn (The Times). The papers had lenghty reports and pictures from the game. Both papers agreed that Liverpool had totally outclassed K.R. For example Tommy Lawrence only touched the ball three or four times during the first half. On all occacions he got the ball from back passes from his own players! The players of K.R., who like Liverpool´s players were playing their first game in Europe, were criticized in the newspapers for defending with the only aim of trying to lose by as few goals as possible.

The reporter from Morgunbladid said Liverpool could have won 15-0! This was his final assessment. "It is not possible to compare these two sides. Liverpool were so much better. They could do what they wanted to. But they did not try too hard to score goals. Many of their players made good effords to entertain the crowd. But nobody did more in that way than the winger Thompson with his clever and various solo tricks. The Icelandic crowd and the players of K.R watched like good students at a school." This was the first but certainly not the last time Liverpool handed an European opposition a lesson in football.

Although a Man of the match was probably not chosen everyone thought the wonder winger Peter Thompson was the best player on show. One of the players from K.R. told me that Peter was unstoppable at times that night. But one thing was for sure. Liverpool had got many Icelandic supporters that August night!

K.R.: Gísli Þorkelsson, Heiðar Ársaelsson, Bjarni Felixson, Þórður Jónsson, Hörður Felixson, Þorgeir Guðmundsson, Sveinn Jónsson, Gunnar Guðmannsson, Gunnar Felixson, Ellert Schram (Captain) and Sigurþór Jakobsson.

Liverpool: 1. Tommy Lawrence, 2. Gerry Byrne, 3. Ronnie Moran, 4. Gordon Milne, 5. Ron Yeats (Captain), 6. Willie Stevenson, 7. Ian Callaghan, 8. Roger Hunt, 9. Phil Chisnall, 10. Gordon Wallace and 11. Peter Thompson.

Laugardalsvöllur: 10,268.

Copied from the main forum and to honour my Da who was at that match.
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #4486 on: August 17, 2012, 09:47:29 am »
I'll come back and review August 17th as it's getting late. Unfortunately the site wasn't working when I tried to review August 16th 24 hours ago, so I've had to do it all again. It's called the HR syndrome!!
its so annoying when that happens
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #4487 on: August 17, 2012, 12:37:03 pm »
Today In History
August 17th

1964 Knattspyrnufélag Reykjavíkur (European Cup 1st Round 1st Leg)Laugardalsvollur 5-0
Gordon Wallace 3' 60' Roger Hunt 46' 88' Phil Chisnall 57'
Att 10,268

our first ever european fixture, and we start as we mean to go on. Despite it being new to us we go on to reach the semi finals only to be denied by some shoddy refereeing. A year later we would reach the final of the european cup winners cup, over time we would win 5 european cups and 3 uefa cups. Although our record of 5 is beaten by Real Madrid and Ac Milan its worth possibly noting Milan won 2 of their 7 European cups while we were banned from Europe while Real Madrid won 5 of their 9 cups before we even began playing in Europe

1968 Arsenal (Division One ) Highbury 1-1
Roger Hunt 50'
Att 43,535

1970 Blackpool (Division One) Bloomfield Road 0-0
Att 28,818

1971 Wolverhampton Wanderers (Division One) Anfield 3-2
John Toshack 7' Steve Heighway 27' Tommy Smith 89'(Pen)
Att 51,869

1973 Anderlecht (Friendly) Stade Emile Verse 0-0
Att 18,000

1974 Luton Town (Division One) Kenilworth Road 2-1
Tommy Smith 31' Steve Heighway 74'
Att 21,062

1985 Arsenal (Division One) Anfield 2-0
Ronnie Whelan 33' Steve Nicol 61'
Att 38,261

This was the first time Liverpool were managed by Kenny Dalglish who was still registered as a player and also played on the day.

1991 Oldham Athletic (Division One) Anfield 2-1
Ray Houghton 53' John Barnes 78'
Att 38,841

Shoot magazine reckoned Dalglish attended this game, the first time he done so after his resigned 6 months earlier. I remember waiting for the fixture list, my brother asked me to guess who we got and unbelievably i got it spot on. We had played a newly promoted team for the previous two season home then away so i think innocently i thought each year it went home away home away and for some reason that Liverpool were given a promoted team. I had kept my eye on a fair bit of lower league ball the previous season and I can remember Sheffield Wednesday, Oldham, West Ham and Notts County were all promoted as the league went from 20 teams to 22 for the first time since 1986-7.

Earl Barrett gave Oldham the lead early one but a superb header from Ray Houghton drew us level and John Barnes scored the winner, it was an injury hit season for Barnes and this was to be his only league goal all season. On the way home from the pitch and putt with my brother i said "good start, weve won every game"
"its only one bleedin match he said" naevity indeed

1996 Middlesbrough (Premier League) Riverside 3-3
Stig Inge Bjornebye 4' John Barnes 29' Robbie Fowler 65'
Att 30,039

I was trying to get home to watch soccer saturday for this, there was some deal with the houses we moved into at the time where you got sky sports free for 3 months. I usually also timed the sky news sport headlines to a tee, it was always between 17 and 20 minutes past the hour. We were making good time to be home when my mam spotted a wedding going in a church and made us pull over to see what the bride looked like. fuck me!

We probably still would have made it on time only she then stopped to talk to some guy cutting grass at which point me and my brother had enough and got out of the car and walked home, needless to say they drove past us 5 seconds later and needless also to say that we just missed the premiership scores by about 1 second when we got in the door.

Liverpool threw away the lead 3 times with Boro debutant Fabrizio Ravenelli scoring all 3 for them, despite over 30 in all competitions that season for the silver fox Boro would be relegated.

2003 Chelsea (Premier League) Anfield 1-2
Michael Owen 79' (Pen)
Att 44,082

I remember I just couldnt wait for this season to start, dunno why this of all seasons but there ya go, it could have been a good summer, Harry Kewell looked a great buy, Steve Finnan was a solid player and we had two young kids in Florent Sinama Pongolle and Anthony Le Tallec. But a work permit robbed us of a chance to sign Michael Essien for 4m, the same Essien who joined Chelsea two years later for 24m, hesitancy meant we spurned a chance to sign Cristiano ronaldo for 4m. Phil Thompson claimed we had made tentative enquiries for Alan Shearer and came close to a deal which would have been brilliant even if he was getting on while we also enquired about John Terry as Chelsea were said to be 100m in debt and close to going out of business.

As it was they were purchased by Roman Abramovic who is still the owner now and he began spending mega money, 6m on the promosing Joe Cole from West Ham, the same fee for his team mate Glen Johnson, both of whom now ply their trade with us, 9m on midfielder Geremi from Real Madrid, 15m for Juan Veron from Man united, 17m on a man wed spent two summer chasing in Damien Duff, 6m on Southampton's Wayne Bridge and after this they invested more, 17m on Claude Makelele, 17m on Hernan Crespo, and another 17 on Adrian Mutu.

nuts!

We gave as good as we got even if Steven Gerrard was suspended for a red card against the same team the previous season, Dietmar Hamann was injured so we lined up with Igor Biscan and Danny Murphy in the middle with Harry Kewell on the right and Bruno Cheyrou on the left, Murphy came very close to scoring in the first minute while Harry Kewell also went close. 15 minutes in though Juan Veron opened the scoring with  their first attack at the kop end. A reshuffle in midfield saw El Hadgi Diouf replace the inneffective Cheyrou with Diouf down the right and Kewell on the left. Diouf tormented their backline and won a penalty which Michael Owen smashed wide but after the referee adjudged it should be retaken he smashed it in the roof of the net.

but 3 minutes from time The Abramovic era was off to a fine start as Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink scored to give Chelsea their first win at Anfield since 1992, also the first time since the same year that we lost the opening fixture of the season.

Bob Paisley's 1st game as LFC Manager on this day in 1974

Kenny Dalglish's 1st game as LFC Manager on this day in 1985

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4488 on: August 17, 2012, 11:55:11 pm »
18th August 1984 : Everton 1 Liverpool 0

The atmosphere inside Wembley is brilliant pre-match. But the game is settled in Everton’s favour with a bizarre own-goal when Alan Hansen blocks Graeme Sharp’s shot and the ball rebounds off Bruce Grobbelaar and into the empty net. Goal here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi_Ukrk7U-U

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4489 on: August 17, 2012, 11:56:10 pm »
18th August 1990 : Liverpool 1 Manchester United 1

For the third time (the other occasions being in 1965 & 1977) a Charity Shield match between Liverpool and United ends in a draw. John Barnes strokes a penalty-kick out of Les Sealey’s reach to equalise the lead Clayton Blackmore had given United on the stroke of half-time.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4490 on: August 17, 2012, 11:57:14 pm »
18th August 1993 : Queens Park Rangers 1 Liverpool 3

This is a really encouraging performance four days after the opening day win over Sheffield Wednesday. All four goals come in the first half with Nigel Clough adding one to the two he got at the weekend. After the midweek matches on this Wednersday evening and the previous evening, five clubs (Manchester United, Coventry City, Ipswich Town, Everton and ourselves) have won their opening two matches.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4491 on: August 17, 2012, 11:59:02 pm »
18th August 2001 : Liverpool 2 West Ham United 1

Michael Owen gets our League season off to a winning start by scoring in each half. Paulo Di Canio cheekily chips a penalty past Pegguy Arphexad (who is making his League debut for Liverpool) after referee Jeff Winter penalises Stephane Henchoz for tripping Svetoslav Todorov. Owen goals from 7 minutes 49  seconds on :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr21lk8ujbA).

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4492 on: August 18, 2012, 12:01:22 am »
18th August 2002 : Aston Villa 0 Liverpool 1

Shortly after half-time, John Arne Riise strokes a low drive past Villa goalkeeper Peter Enckelman. The margin of victory would have been greater if Michael Owen hadn’t missed a late penalty-kick. It is the 6th time Owen has missed a penalty for his club and the second he has missed against Villa. Riise goal from 1 minute 38 seconds on :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJrHVBQDy2U

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4493 on: August 18, 2012, 12:05:52 am »
August 18th

1951 Portsmouth(Division One) Anfield 0-2
Att 42,270

1956 Huddersfield Town (Division Two) Anfield 2-3
Billy Liddell 62' 73'(Pen)
Att 49,344

1962 Blackpool (Division One)Anfield 1-2
Kevin Lewis 80'
Att 51,207

1979 League Of Ireland X1 (Friendly) Dalymount Park 2-0
Alan Hansen 66' Terry McDermott 78'
Att 23,000

1984 Everton (Charity Shield ) Wembley 0-1
Att 100,000

1986 Irish Intrenationals (Friendly) Flower Lodge 2-1
Kevin MacDonald Jan Molby (Pen)
Att 14,500

1990 Manchester United (Charity Shield) Wembley 1-1*
John Barnes 51' (Pen)
Att 66,558
*Trophy shared

1993 Queens Park Rangers (Premier League) Loftus Road 3-1
Ian Rush 20' Steve Nicol 39' Nigel Clough 43'
Att 19,635

2001 Westham United (Premier League) Anfield 2-1
Michael Owen 17' 78'
Att 43,935

2002 Aston Villa (Premier League) Villa Park 1-0
John Arne Riise 47'
Att 41,183

2012 Westbromwich Albion ( Premier League) The Hawthorns ?-?

Phil Taylor Liverpool's 8th manager took charge for his 1st game on this day in 1956

Transfers IN

Doug Rudham (1954)
Jack Hobbs (2005)
Brad Jones (2010)
Dirk Kuyt (2006)
Ian Rush (1988)

Transfers  OUT

Dominic Matteo (2000)
Nabil El Zhar (2011)

Debuts on this day

Paul Walsh (1984)
Tommy Younger (1956)
Steve Parr (1951)

Born on this day

Sam English (1908)
Dick White (1931)
James Harrower (1935)
John Durnin (1965)
Jack Hobbs (1988)
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4494 on: August 18, 2012, 12:41:13 am »
[
August 18th

Transfers IN

Doug Rudham (1954)

Goalkeeper Doug was one of a number of players born in South Africa to have played League football for Liverpool. He signed for the Reds in the summer of 1954 at a time when Liverpool didn't seem to have a regular first-choice 'keeper; three men (Rudham, Dave Underwood & Charlie Ashcroft) shared the duties during the 1954-55 season and Rudham even somehow managed to keep his place after conceding NINE goals at Birmingham in December !  Doug did play in the first 17 League matches of the next season but lost his place to Dave Underwood after conceding 4 goals at Leeds in November. But when Underwood let in 3 at Fulham in April, Rudham was brought back for the final four games of the season. However, Tommy Younger was brought in from Hibernian during the close season and Doug made only 2 more appearances in 1956-57, only another 3 the season after that and just 1 in 1958-59. When Younger moved on to Stoke, Doug was kept out by new signing Bert Slater but did regain his place after 3 League matches and played in the next 14, bringing his total of appearances in the Football League to 63. His last game came in a 2-4 defeat at Lincoln, after which Bert Slater won his place back.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4495 on: August 18, 2012, 12:45:36 am »
August 18th

Debuts on this day

Tommy Younger (1956)

Scottish-international Tommy was Liverpool's goalkeeper in the latter part of the 1950's, after joining the club from Hibernian in June 1956. He went straight into the first-team, replacing Doug Rudham & Dave Underwood, who had shared the goalkeeping duties during the previous season. Tommy played in all but two of the League matches that first season (1956-57) and missed only another 4 during the next two seasons. But he lost his place to Bert Slater at the start of the 1959-60 season and was transferred to Stoke City the following Spring after playing 120 League games and 7 F.A. cup matches in the No. 1 jersey for Liverpool.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4496 on: August 18, 2012, 12:51:19 am »
August 18th

Debuts on this day

Paul Walsh (1984)

Born in South London in October 1962, Paul made his name as a teenager with his local club Charlton Athletic before moving on to Luton Town and enjoying two good years with "the Hatters" (scoring 24 times from 80 League games) before making a high-profile move to Merseyside in the summer of 1984. With Ian Rush being sidelined at the start of the 1984-85 season due to injury, Paul went straight into the first-team and scored after just fifteen seconds of his home debut against West Ham United. He played in the opening 10 League games but was injured in the 10th at White Hart Lane and as that injury coincided with Rush's return to full fitness, he was in and out of the team for the rest of the season, although he did score three times in Liverpool’s run to their 5th European cup final and played in the ill-fated final against Juventus in Brussels. Paul was never really a first-team regular during his brief time on Merseyside. The longest run of consecutive League matches he played during the 'Double' season of 1985-86 was just ten. However, he did contribute 11 important goals although he only figured once in the remarkable run-in of 11 wins and 1 draw from the final dozen First Division fixtures which saw Liverpool climb over their city-neighbours Everton, who had won 2-0 at Anfield just before that remarkable run began. The arrival of John Aldridge from Oxford United early in 1987 meant that Paul was surplus to requirements at Anfield and it was no surprise when, having made only one League "start" in 1987-88, he accepted an offer to join Tottenham Hotspur. His scoring record with Liverpool had been perfectly acceptable (37 from 112 games in all competitions) but it was clear that he could not compete with the big-name arrivals that had signed for Liverpool since his own arrival on Merseyside three and a half years previously.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4497 on: August 18, 2012, 12:53:03 am »
August 18th

Debuts on this day

Steve Parr (1951)

Born on this day

Preston-born Steve signed for Liverpool in May 1948 but didn’t make his first-team debut until the opening day of the 1951-52 season. He made 16 appearances that season and another 4 the following year but never seriously threatened Ray Lambert’s position at full-back. Steve moved to Exeter City in May 1955 but returned to the North-West at the end of 1956 to end his playing days at Rochdale.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4498 on: August 18, 2012, 01:06:36 am »
August 18th

Born on this day

Sam English (1908)
Dick White (1931)
James Harrower (1935)

Sam was a powerful centre-forward who joined Liverpool from Glasgow Rangers before the start of the 1933-34 season. While playing for the Scottish club his goalscoring exploits led to him being capped at full international level by Northern Ireland. Sam made a blistering start to his Anfield career and by the halfway stage of his first League season he had already scored 16 times. But he only started 8 League matches during the second-half of the season, scoring a further 2 times. Although not selected on the opening day of the following season, he then had a run of 11 consecutive matches in which he hit the net 3 times before losing his place in the side. His appearances after that were restricted and he played his final game for Liverpool in the penultimate First Division fixture of the 1934-35 season, away to Tottenham. Despite being in and out of the team, Sam still finished with a good goals-per-game record of 26 strikes from exactly 50 matches.

Scunthorpe-born Dick White arrived at Anfield in November 1955 after having played 133 League matches for his home-town club. He replaced regular centre-half Laurie Hughes at Barnsley on 10th March 1956 and made a further 7 appearances before the end of that season. But Hughes missed only one League match in 1956-57 so it wasn't until the following season that Dick became a regular in the side. But he only missed two matches over the next four League seasons, taking his tally of appearances for Liverpool in all competitions to close to the 200 mark. However, Ron Yeats' arrival in the summer of 1961 effectively ended Dick's career as a Liverpool player although he did a play a number of games at full-back during Yeats' first season on Merseyside. Dick was transferred to Doncaster Rovers in July 1962. He scored just one goal for Liverpool, which came in the F.A. cup 3rd round replay victory over Southend United at Roots Hall in January 1958.

Inside-forward Jimmy Harrower signed from Edinburgh club Hibernian in January 1958 when he was 22 years old. He had played 12 First Division matches by the end of that season, scoring twice. He only missed 5 League fixtures the following season and added another 6 goals to his total. 1959-60 was a year of change at Anfield, caused by Bill Shankly's arrival half-way through the season and for a while the new manager couldn't seem to decide between Harrower or Jimmy Melia for the inside-left position. But before the end of the following season, Melia was established in the side and it was clear that Jimmy's future lay elsewhere. He moved on to Newcastle United in March 1961.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4499 on: August 18, 2012, 01:10:26 am »
August 18th

Born on this day

John Durnin (1965)

Bootle-born John's Liverpool career is one of the shortest on record. He started only one first-team game for the club, a League cup 2nd round tie at Craven Cottage on 7th October 1986 when the Reds beat Fulham 3-2 - having already won 10-0 at Anfield two weeks previously. Trying to impress at a time when Liverpool's forward-line was full of experienced international players, it was no surprise when John left Anfield to join West Bromwich Albion on loan towards the end of the 1980's and he enjoyed a good career with a handful of clubs in the lower divisions, most notably at Oxford United & Portsmouth.

Correction : He also started the Centenary Trophy match against Arsenal at Highbury in September 1988 but was substituted by Kenny Dalglish.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 01:13:35 am by kriss »

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4500 on: August 18, 2012, 09:47:50 am »
August 17th memories.

1985: Kenny Dalglish's 1st game as player/manager sees the Reds make an excellent start with a 2-0 home win against Arsenal. Ronnie Whelan heads the opener on 36 minutes, and the boss crosses for Steve Nicol to head the 2nd on 61. This was also the 1st game at Anfield where away fans were given their own reserved blocks of seating in the Anfield Road Stand in addition to the terracing they already had.

Kriss alludes to the short Heysel memorial service before the game. Chairman John Smith also did a column in the programme for that game which was headlined 'The Clean Up Starts Now'.

1991: Promoted Oldham were palying their 1st top flight game for over 50 years. Skipper Earl Barrett heads them into an 8th minute lead at the Kop End. It takes Liverpool time to respond, but Ray Houghton heads them level on 52 minutes before John Barnes fires in the winner on 77.

1996: Liverpool lead 3 times in this game thanks to Bjronybe, Barnes and Fowler, but Fabrizio Ravanelli hit back each time on a sensational 'Boro debut for him. Each goal was celebrated by pulling his shirt over his head, an idea that John Arne Riise would use to celebrate his Liverpool goals a few years later.

2003: The 1st Chelsea game of the Abramovic era. They had spent fortunes in the summer, and it was 2 of the new signings who linked for the opening goal when Juan Sebastian Veron turned in a Damain Duff cross. Liverpool gave as good as they got, and levelled through a twice taken Michael Owen penalty on 79. The Londoners had the last laugh though with 2 minutes left when Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink fired in the winner. Hasselbaink only had to fart against Liverpool for the ball to go in the net!!   

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4501 on: August 18, 2012, 10:04:20 am »
August 18th:

1979: Poser for you Kriss. This 1979/80 season started on this day, but Liverpool's match at Wolves didn't get played until the following February. Any idea why this game didn't take place on the opening day?

1984: A comical Bruce Grobbelaar own goal gives Everton a deserved win in the Charity Shield. Joe Fagan was furious with his teams performance.

1990: A controversial 51st minute penalty from John Barnes ensures Liverpool and Manchester United share the Charity Shield. Ferguson is livid about the penalty decision, to which Kenny Dalglish suggests that it's early for referees as well as players!! What Ferguson overlooks is that Clayton Blackmore's goal comes about 3 minutes into injury time of a 1st half where there had been no notable stoppages. Even when United were crap, Fergie time was beginning to rear it's ugly head.

1993: Liverpool follow up their opening day win with a superb display at QPR. All the goals come in the 1st half with Ian Rush, Steve Nicol and Nigel Clough the Reds marksmen. Ray Wilkins gets the QPR goal with a stunning long range effort.

2001: A minutes silence is held before the game to honour Joe Fagan, Billy Liddell, and Tom Saunders, who had all sadly passes away within a week during early July. Michael Owen fires Liverpool ahead on 18 minutes, and hits a terrific winner in the 2nd half. Paulo Di Canio cheekily chips in a harshly awarded penalty on the half hour for what was the West Ham equaliser.

2002: John Arne Riise gets the only goal as Liverpool win at Villa Park. As already mention by Kriss, Michael Owen again fails from the penalty spot, but an opening weekend away win is always acceptable. Another one today about 4 miles from Villa Park please.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4502 on: August 18, 2012, 08:44:23 pm »
August 18th:

1979: Poser for you Kriss. This 1979/80 season started on this day, but Liverpool's match at Wolves didn't get played until the following February. Any idea why this game didn't take place on the opening day?

I think I have worked this out, Alan. The Molineux Street Stand (that's where The Steve Bull Stand is now), the stand opposite where the teams come out anyway,  failed to meet the regulations required by the Safety of Sports Grounds Act, 1975. Wolves submitted plans, which were accepted, to build a new stand immediately behind the old one, on completion of which the old stand would be demolished. Unfortunately, this work wasn't completed before the start of the 1979-80 season and Wolves therefore had to postpone their first home match (Liverpool : scheduled for opening day, Saturday the 18th of August). So our League season started with a home match against Bolton Wanderers (Tuesday 21st August) while Wolves opened with a 1-0 win at Derby the following evening. I think it was only a matter of days that Wolves weren't ready by because they did play Ipswich Town at Molineux on Saturday 25th August. The new stand was officially opened on that date and it was called The John Ireland Stand (he was the club's President at that time). We didn't go there that season, as you pointed out, until Tuesday 26th February, 1980. Steve Bull was clearly considered more important than John Ireland when further development in 2003 saw the stand change shape and be renamed again.

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4503 on: August 19, 2012, 12:07:58 am »
TODAY IN HISTORY
AUGUST 19TH

1939 Everton (Friendly) Anfield 2-1
Jack Balmer Phil Taylor
Att 20,000

1944 Everton (Friendly) Anfield 5-2
Cyril Done (4) ? Malam
Att 16,228

1950 Wolverhampton Wanderers (Division One) Molineux 0-2
Att 50,622

1953 Portsmouth (Division One) Anfield 3-1
Bill Jones 26' 72' Billy Liddell 84'
Att 39,662

1961 Bristol Rovers (Division Two) Eastville Stadium 2-0
Kevin Lewis 7' John Hills (OG) 55'
Att 19,438

1967 Manchester City (Division One) Maine Road 0-0
Att 49,343

1972 Crystal Palace (Division One) Anfield 1-1
Emlyn Hughes 75'
Att 30,054

1975 Westham United (Division One ) Anfield 2-2
Ian Callaghan 24' John Toshack 81'
Att 40,564

1978 Queens Park Rangers (Division One) Anfield 2-1
Kenny Dalglish 27' Steve Heighway 76'
Att 50,793

1980 Coventry City (Division One) Highfield Road 0-0
Att 22,807

1981 Atletico Madrid (Friendly ) Vincent Calderon 1-2
Ray Kennedy
Att 30,000

1987 Irish Olympic X1 (Friendly) Lansdowne Road 5-0
John Aldridge (Pen) Peter Beardsley Paul Walsh (2) Ronnie Whelan
Att 12,000

1989 Manchester City (Division One) Anfield 3-1
John Barnes 7' (Pen) Peter Beardsley 60' Steve Nicol 90'
Att 37,628

1992 Sheffield United (Premier League) Anfield 2-1
Mark Walters 43' Paul Stewart 65'
Att 33,107

1995 Sheffield Wednesday (Premier League) Anfield 1-0
Stan Collymore 61'
Att 40,535

1996 Arsenal (Premier League) Anfield 2-0
Steve McManaman 68' 74'
Att 38,103

2000 Bradford City (Premier League) Anfield 1-0
Emile Heskey 67'
Att 44,183

2006 Sheffield United (Premier League) Bramall Lane 1-1
Robbie Fowler 70'(Pen)
Att 31,726

2007 Chelsea (Premier League) Anfield 1-1
Fernando Torres 16'
Att 43,924

2009 Stoke City (Premier League) Anfield 4-0
Fernando Torres 4' Glen Johnson 45' Dirk Kuyt 78' David Ngog 90'
Att 44,318

2010 Trabzonspor AS (Europa League Playoff 1st Leg) Anfield 1-0
Ryan Babel 45'
Att 40,941

Transfers OUT

Jimmy Case (1981)

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

Ian St John (1961)
Ron Yeats (1961)
Tony Hateley (1967)
Alan Kennedy (1978)
Stan Collymore (1995)
David Thompson (1996)
Nick Barmby (2000)
Marcus Babbel (2000)
Gary McAllister (2000)
Christian Poulson (2010)

DEBUT GOALS ON THIS DAY

Paul Stewart (1992)
Stan Collymore (1995)
Fernando Torres (2007)**
Glen Johnson (2009)

Born on this day

Tosh Johnson (1901)

Torres' 1st goal was just 5 years ago? Seems eons back now
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #4504 on: August 19, 2012, 01:06:00 am »
TODAY IN HISTORY
AUGUST 19TH

Was not his debut goal though as he made his debut away to Aston Villa when we won 2-1 :)
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4505 on: August 19, 2012, 01:09:08 am »
TODAY IN HISTORY
AUGUST 19TH

Emlyn Hughes 75'
Att 30,054

Not Anfield, Rafa_La; Selhurst Park.

I get down to Euston station late-morning to meet a Liverpool train in. Euston is always heaving on a Saturday morning because of the number of football supporters who use it, London supporters travelling to away matches and supporters of provincial clubs travelling to their home matches. All those travellers are greeted with a strange sight as they emerge on to the concourse. At least two hundred Liverpool supporters are sitting outside in the sun. There is no confrontation but it must have been quite an intimidating sight for the fans of the London clubs.

Once we get down to south London and Selhurst Park, the aim is to continue our 100% start to the season. But Palace have other ideas and Anthony Taylor’s shot goes past Ray Clemence and in off a post shortly before the interval. It’s one of those horrible moments at an away game when you see all the arms go up at the other end of the stadium from where you are standing. We pile on the pressure in the second half as the team attacks the goal behind which the bulk of its support is massed. Emlyn Hughes is carrying an injury but still manages to get forward when John Jackson spills Tommy Smith’s fierce shot and Emlyn crashes the ball into the roof of the net right in front of us.

Former Liverpool full-back Peter Wall breaks a leg after being tackled by Tommy Smith. There is nothing really nasty about Smithy’s challenge but Wall will not play again for a full year.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4506 on: August 19, 2012, 01:10:12 am »
19th August 1975 : Liverpool 2 West Ham United 2

The team needs to recover quickly from its opening day defeat to Queens Park Rangers at Loftus Road. But we surrender another point to a decent West Ham team for whom Alan Taylor, scorer of their F.A. cup-winning goals in May, scores twice to give the visitors the lead after Ian Callaghan has opened the scoring with a careful low drive into the Anfield Road goal.

I remember this match for the most sustained period of attacking I think I have ever seen from a Liverpool team. After Taylor’s second goal, we absolutely battered them incessantly for around twenty minutes. God knows how many chances we created in those minutes but it was a lot.  Mervyn Day was in outstanding form and what he couldn’t stop hit the woodwork. The breakthrough finally comes ten minutes from time when Kevin Keegan steps over Peter Cormack’s pass and John Toshack thrashes the equaliser into the net. There is still time to get a winner but the team seems exhausted after its earlier efforts and the ‘Hammers hold out for a draw which, for Day’s contribution alone, they probably deserve.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4507 on: August 19, 2012, 01:11:14 am »
19th August 1978 : Liverpool 2 Queens Park Rangers 1

I am joined by a Dutch family I met on one of the pre-season tours a couple of years earlier. The parents go shopping while I take their son into the Kop with me. Emlyn trots out at the head of the team and places the European cup right on the centre-circle. Alan Kennedy is making his competitive debut for Liverpool and it is his cross that is chested down by Kenny Dalglish who drives the ball carefully past Phil Parkes. But Rangers are level shortly afterwards with either a stroke of luck or a stroke of genius. Paul McGee breaks down our right-hand side and his cross drifts over Ray Clemence and drops into the Kop goal. To be fair, our winning goal is a bit fortunate too because Steve Heighway benefits from a bit of pinball in the Rangers’ penalty-area. There is no way back for QPR after that late blow.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4508 on: August 19, 2012, 01:12:11 am »
19th August 1989 : Liverpool 3 Manchester City 1

As I take my seat in the Main Stand, I am a bit anxious about how the team will react from the heart-breaking end to the previous League season. I needn’t have worried. The performance is every bit as good as many during the run-in at the end of 1988-89. Highlights here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e75F500yI0w

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4509 on: August 19, 2012, 01:13:49 am »
19th August 1992 : Liverpool 2 Sheffield United 1

The team recovers quickly from losing its opening League match at Nottingham Forest three days earlier. Goals here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uramekpcg_Y

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4510 on: August 19, 2012, 01:15:37 am »
19th August 1995 : Liverpool 1 Sheffield Wednesday 0

Stan Collymore marks his competitive debut for the club with a wonderful winning goal (from 1 minute on :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AHFILS2d-k); or from 5 minutes 35    seconds on this end-of-season Wednesday review :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmn_VJG4USA.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4511 on: August 19, 2012, 01:16:21 am »
19th August 1996 : Liverpool 2 Arsenal 0

18-year-old David Thompson makes his competitive debut for the club as a late substitute for Robbie Fowler.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4512 on: August 19, 2012, 01:17:03 am »
19th August 2000 : Liverpool 1 Bradford City 0

There are three debutants … Markus Babbel, Nick Barmby and Gary McAllister … but it is Emile Heskey who is the matchwinner with a quite brilliant turn and finish past Bradford goalkeeper Matt Clarke at the Anfield Road end midway through the second half. But I have to be honest. Heskey’s performance up to that point has been absolutely pitiful.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4513 on: August 19, 2012, 01:19:46 am »
19th August 2006 : Sheffield United 1 Liverpool 1

We take a point thanks to a decision from referee Rob Styles to award a penalty-kick after Steven Gerrard falls over in the Sheffield penalty-area. However, Chris Morgan’s rash challenge makes Gerrard lose his balance and Mister Styles is entitled to penalise the ‘intent’ of the challenge even if no contact is made. Robbie Fowler confidently puts away the first of the three penalties he will score against United’s Paddy Kenny in this season :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiNEFeRpBTo
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIHLKH_AQ4k

19th August 2007 : Liverpool 1 Chelsea 1

It’s that man Styles making the headlines again for awarding a penalty-kick but this time we are on the end of an outrageous decision. He does at least have the courtesy and good manners to apologise afterwards and admit that his decision “may have affected the result of the match”. May is it, Rob ? How about definitely, you blind twat ?!

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4514 on: August 19, 2012, 01:21:16 am »
19th August 2009 : Liverpool 4 Stoke City 0

Daniel Ayala gets his first start following his brief substitute appearance at Tottenham three days ealier. Goals here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ-TUacnqTQ

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4515 on: August 19, 2012, 01:23:20 am »
19th August 2010 : Liverpool 1 Trabzonspor 0

Ryan Babel scores in added–time at the end of the first half to give us a narrow lead to take to Turkey in a week’s time. Joe Cole misses a penalty early in the second half. Here’s the goal :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YshyCI_-wI

and here is Cole’s dreadful penalty filmed from the Kop :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWbXm59I0-w&feature=related

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4516 on: August 19, 2012, 01:34:39 am »
TODAY IN HISTORY
AUGUST 19TH

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

Ian St John (1961)
Ron Yeats (1961)
Tony Hateley (1967)

Bought by Bill Shankly from Motherwell as the 1960-61 season drew to a close, Ian St.John would prove to be one of the most significant signings ever made by Liverpool Football Club. His contribution to the success that followed later in the decade was colossal. Despite his relative lack of height, Ian was a strong and tricky forward whose timing enabled him to outjump much taller defenders and either create chances for others or finish them off himself. Liverpool had been trying desperately to get out of the Second Division for six years, during which they had finished 3rd four times and 4th twice. St. John and the acquisition of Ron Yeats from Dundee United shortly before the 1961-62 season began would prove to be inspirational signings that helped an extremely settled side cruise to the Second Division title by 8 points from Leyton Orient. "The Saint" only missed two League games, scoring 18 times and developing a lethal understanding with Roger Hunt. Liverpool comfortably coped with First Division football, finishing 8th in their first year back in the top league and were unlucky to lose to Leicester City in the F.A. cup semi-final, for whom Gordon Banks performed heroics. But a year later all Bill Shankly's foresight and tactical shrewdness came to fruition. Liverpool won the First Division championship for the first time for 17 years and Ian contributed 21 goals, the highest total he achieved during any single season as a Liverpool player. A year later came his (and the club's) greatest moment. After over 70 years of trying, Liverpool finally got their hands on the F.A. cup and Ian's diving header towards the end of extra-time at Wembley flew past Leeds United's goalkeeper Gary Sprake and earned the Scotsman immortality on the red half of Merseyside for that one athletic moment. Ian would collect a second League championship medal a year later to add to his growing collection of Scottish caps but suffered the disappointment of extra-time defeat to Borussia Dortmund in the Cup winners' cup final at Hampden Park. St. John hardly missed a game for the next three seasons but as the 60's closed, Shankly had the difficult task of leaving out some of the players who had served him so well for most of the decade. Now 31 years old, Ian became one of the 'casualties'. He was picked for the first 10 League fixtures of 1969-70 but only played in one of the last thirteen. It was clear that a wonderful Anfield career was drawing to its close. Ian made just a single (substitute) First Division appearance in 1970-71 but did come off the bench to strike a vital second goal in a home F.A. cup tie with Swansea on 23rd January 1971. It was the last of his 118 senior goals for Liverpool. He moved to Coventry in September of that year before returning to Merseyside to play briefly for Tranmere Rovers under the managership of his former colleague and skipper Ron Yeats. Ian had a brief but fairly unhappy spell himself as a manager (with Portsmouth) before becoming Sheffield Wednesday's coach for a year in the late 70's. But his knowledge of and passion for football, coupled with a friendly and confident personality, enabled him to break into the world of television and for several years he was a popular figure on ITV in tandem with his former international adversary Jimmy Greaves. Ian St. John played over 400 times for Liverpool's first-team and was without doubt one of the best buys the club ever made. At his peak he was one of the most inspired players in the country and contributed so much to Liverpool's domination of the domestic scene in the middle of the 1960's.

'The Colossus' as Bill Shankly described him, when he invited the waiting pressmen to 'take a walk round him' after Ron Yeats had signed for Liverpool from Dundee United in July 1961. Ron went straight into the first-team and would be the inspirational skipper that would captain the side to some of their greatest domestic moments to date and also their early adventures in European competitions. Yeats and St. John (signed from Motherwell only a few weeks earlier) would be the final pieces of the jigsaw that Shankly needed to take Liverpool out of the Second Division after 8 seasons away from the top flight and they achieved their target with ease, being unbeaten at home where they averaged over 3 goals a game. Only 43 goals were conceded in 42 matches and although some of their opponents were blown away by the potency of Liverpool's attack that season, Ron Yeats was a huge figure in defence and nobody was in any doubt that he would make the transition up to the First Division comfortably.

Ron only missed one League match in his first season at Anfield and would only miss a handful more for the rest of the decade. The team of the mid-60's was the most settled that the club has ever had. Week after week the same eleven players took to the field, with 'Big Ron' leading them out.

After a season of consolidation in the top division (though they did reach the F.A. cup semi-final), 1963-64 saw Ron skipper the side to the club's first Division One championship for 17 years. 1964-65 was to be a monumental one for the club and its skipper too. Ron Yeats was the man who proudly walked up the Wembley steps after the extra-time victory over Leeds United to accept the famous trophy that had  never been in the club's cabinet before. He was also to take Liverpool to uncharted territory in Europe, but even his leadership and normal composure could not cope with the hostility of the Italians in Milan or some dubious refereeing decisions. Losing the European cup semi-final was a bitter blow but the experience helped Liverpool's players to go one step further the next year when they reached the final of the Cup Winners' cup, only to be beaten in extra-time by Borussia Dortmund on a rainy night in Glasgow. But Ron's disappointment was tempered by the knowledge that he had already received the club's second championship trophy in 3 seasons.

Although the future seemed to be as promising as the immediate past, Ron would win no further honours with Liverpool. Like so many of the great team of the 60's, he would not taste the success that would come in the next decade. By the end of the 1960's Ron was 33 years old, not too old to compete with younger men but Shankly was already preparing to rebuild his team for whatever the 1970's would offer. All the same, Ron only missed 5 League matches in 1969-70 but before the end of that season Larry Lloyd had replaced him at the heart of Liverpool's defence, although the former skipper did an admirable job at left-back for a number of months. 1970-71 was Ron Yeats' final season as a Liverpool player. He played 12 times and scored with a thumping header into the Kop goal when Burnley visited Anfield in the Autumn - and he did score some important goals for the club, perhaps most notably an equally impressive header in the last moments of a League match at Highbury during the second championship-winning season.

Only a very select group of men have played more times for Liverpool's first-team than Ron Yeats. He made 454 appearances for Liverpool in all competitions and was one of the greatest defenders and captains that the club has ever had. He moved to Tranmere Rovers in December 1971 to continue his playing career and was also their manager for three seasons before eventually returning to Anfield as the club's Chief Scout in 1986; and Ron was still very much involved with Liverpool Football Club nearly 40 years after he first arrived. He retired in 2006.

Centre-forward Tony was a 'high-profile' signing during the Summer of 1967, arriving from Chelsea for a fee of slightly under £100,000 which was an enormous sum for the time. Hateley had already scored over 150 League goals for Notts. County, Aston Villa & Chelsea when he arrived at Anfield as a 26-year-old and looked to still have the best years of his career ahead of him. He scored a hat-trick in only his 3rd League match for the Reds and missed only 4 First Division fixtures during his debut season, netting 16 times in all. He added another 7 goals as Liverpool reached the F.A. cup quarter-final stage, including four in one game as Walsall were thrashed 5-2 in a 4th round replay on Merseyside.

Tony never managed to repeat the success of that first season and his career at Anfield was to be only a brief one. He was substituted at Leeds on the last day of October 1968 and was never to pull on the famous red shirt again. Shankly bought Alun Evans almost immediately and the youngster from the West Midlands took over the No. 9 shirt for the rest of the 1968-69 season. Hateley was soon sold to Coventry City and after a spell with Birmingham City he moved back to his first club in Nottingham. Tony finished his playing career with Oldham Athletic.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4517 on: August 19, 2012, 01:39:51 am »
Was not his debut goal though as he made his debut away to Aston Villa when we won 2-1 :)

It most certainly was his debut goal. The word debut as an adjective means first. It was his first Liverpool goal. It wasn't his debut appearance for the club but that should have been covered on the 11th of August eight days ago.

Update : It was ... on http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=280869.4360
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 11:09:10 am by kriss »

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4518 on: August 19, 2012, 10:18:30 am »
I think I have worked this out, Alan. The Molineux Street Stand (that's where The Steve Bull Stand is now), the stand opposite where the teams come out anyway,  failed to meet the regulations required by the Safety of Sports Grounds Act, 1975. Wolves submitted plans, which were accepted, to build a new stand immediately behind the old one, on completion of which the old stand would be demolished. Unfortunately, this work wasn't completed before the start of the 1979-80 season and Wolves therefore had to postpone their first home match (Liverpool : scheduled for opening day, Saturday the 18th of August). So our League season started with a home match against Bolton Wanderers (Tuesday 21st August) while Wolves opened with a 1-0 win at Derby the following evening. I think it was only a matter of days that Wolves weren't ready by because they did play Ipswich Town at Molineux on Saturday 25th August. The new stand was officially opened on that date and it was called The John Ireland Stand (he was the club's President at that time). We didn't go there that season, as you pointed out, until Tuesday 26th February, 1980. Steve Bull was clearly considered more important than John Ireland when further development in 2003 saw the stand change shape and be renamed again.

Thanks for answering that Kriss. We actually lost 1-0 when the game took place, and I think Emlyn Hughes (who was then at Wolves) was collared on the pich at the end for the TV programme This Is Your Life.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4519 on: August 19, 2012, 10:53:08 am »
TODAY IN HISTORY
AUGUST 19TH

1939 Everton (Friendly) Anfield 2-1
Jack Balmer Phil Taylor
Att 20,000

1944 Everton (Friendly) Anfield 5-2
Cyril Done (4) ? Malam
Att 16,228

1950 Wolverhampton Wanderers (Division One) Molineux 0-2
Att 50,622

1953 Portsmouth (Division One) Anfield 3-1
Bill Jones 26' 72' Billy Liddell 84'
Att 39,662

1961 Bristol Rovers (Division Two) Eastville Stadium 2-0
Kevin Lewis 7' John Hills (OG) 55'
Att 19,438

1967 Manchester City (Division One) Maine Road 0-0
Att 49,343

Emlyn Hughes 75'
Att 30,054

1975 Westham United (Division One ) Anfield 2-2
Ian Callaghan 24' John Toshack 81'
Att 40,564

1978 Queens Park Rangers (Division One) Anfield 2-1
Kenny Dalglish 27' Steve Heighway 76'
Att 50,793

1980 Coventry City (Division One) Highfield Road 0-0
Att 22,807

1981 Atletico Madrid (Friendly ) Vincent Calderon 1-2
Ray Kennedy
Att 30,000

1987 Irish Olympic X1 (Friendly) Lansdowne Road 5-0
John Aldridge (Pen) Peter Beardsley Paul Walsh (2) Ronnie Whelan
Att 12,000

1989 Manchester City (Division One) Anfield 3-1
John Barnes 7' (Pen) Peter Beardsley 60' Steve Nicol 90'
Att 37,628

1992 Sheffield United (Premier League) Anfield 2-1
Mark Walters 43' Paul Stewart 65'
Att 33,107

1995 Sheffield Wednesday (Premier League) Anfield 1-0
Stan Collymore 61'
Att 40,535

1996 Arsenal (Premier League) Anfield 2-0
Steve McManaman 68' 74'
Att 38,103

2000 Bradford City (Premier League) Anfield 1-0
Emile Heskey 67'
Att 44,183

2006 Sheffield United (Premier League) Bramall Lane 1-1
Robbie Fowler 70'(Pen)
Att 31,726

2007 Chelsea (Premier League) Anfield 1-1
Fernando Torres 16'
Att 43,924

2009 Stoke City (Premier League) Anfield 4-0
Fernando Torres 4' Glen Johnson 45' Dirk Kuyt 78' David Ngog 90'
Att 44,318

2010 Trabzonspor AS (Europa League Playoff 1st Leg) Anfield 1-0
Ryan Babel 45'
Att 40,941

Transfers OUT

Jimmy Case (1981)

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

Ian St John (1961)
Ron Yeats (1961)
Tony Hateley (1967)
Alan Kennedy (1978)
Stan Collymore (1995)
David Thompson (1996)
Nick Barmby (2000)
Marcus Babbel (2000)
Gary McAllister (2000)
Christian Poulson (2010)

DEBUT GOALS ON THIS DAY

Paul Stewart (1992)
Stan Collymore (1995)
Fernando Torres (2007)**
Glen Johnson (2009)

Born on this day

Tosh Johnson (1901)

August 19th has been a busy day by the look of it down the years.

1979: Before I started attending matches, but this was the 1st game of a magnificent record breaking season. In 2000, we attended a function at Anfield where Alan Kennedy and David Johnson were after dinner speakers. Kennedy recalled this game as it was his LFC debut. He apparently had a shocking 1st half where every pass or clearence seemed to go either out of play or to a QPR player. As he walked off at half time with his head down, his team mates told him that Bob Paisley would lift his spirits. Paisley spoke to each player in turn. When he got to Alan, he simply said "aye, and I reckon they shot the wrong bloody Kennedy!!"

1989: The 1st game in front of the reduced capacity Kop in the wake of Hillsborough. John Barnes converts a 7th minute penalty after Brian Gayle is ajudged to have handled, but promoted City level midway through the 1st half through a deflected Andy Hinchcliffe free kick. Peter Beardsley restores the lead on the hour after Andy Dibble had brilliantly denied Ian Rush. Steve Nicol seals the win at the end following sensational play from John Barnes.

1992: Brian Deane fires Sheffield United in front, but Mark Walters levels with a low drive just before half time. Paul Stewart scores the 2nd half winner on his home debut, but it was pretty much all downhill for Stewart after that.

1995: A typically glorious summers day for the opening day of the season in those days. Both sides have chances in an entertaining 1st ahlf, but the only goal is scored on the hour by LFC debutant Stan Collymore. It was a quite stupendous strike, which he repeated a few weeks later against Blackburn. Collymore was unplayable on his day, but was just as likely to be a waste of space.

1996: 2 scrappy goals from Steve McManaman win what was essentially a scrappy game. I may well be wrong, but I've a feeling this was our 1st Monday night home game in the Premier League?

2000: Bradford leave all 11 players in their own penalty area as they make it clear what they've come for. Liverpool struggle to create anything of note until Emile Heskey produces a brilliant finish. It was the 1st Anfield goal Heskey had scored since joining from Leicester the previous March.

2006: Liverpool fall behind to a Rob Hulse header at the start of the 2nd half. The penalty is awarded for an attempted trip on Steven Gerrard. Stevie tries to stay on his feet as he could possiby score, but doesn't manage to, so a penalty is given which Fowler converts. Colin Wanker was livid about it, but when isn't he?

2007: If the penalty 12 months earlier was debatable then the one which gets Chelsea out of jail was scandalous!! Liverpool dominate in the rain, and a superb run and finish from Fernando Torres gives them a 19th minute lead. They fail to add to it though, and are frustrated when Chelsea level from the spot after Florent Malouda (I think?) runs into the back of Steve Finnan, and Rob Styles gives a penalty which Fat Frank disptaches past Reina. Chelsea celebrated at the end as they knew they'd robbed us.

2009: If Liverpool could have won this 2-0, and scored the other goals 1 in each of the games against Stoke the previous season, then they'd have been Champions! A comprehensive win though made up for the poor start at Tottenham. Liverpool would score 16 goals in winning their 1st 4 home League games.

2010: Ryan Babel scores in 1st half stoppage time to give Liverpool a narrow advantage to take to Turkey for the 2nd leg. As Kriss said, Joe Cole misses a 52nd minute penalty, while Christian Poulsen has a goal disallowed for some unknown reason.