Author Topic: The Alternative Premier League Table 2023-24  (Read 80350 times)

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Re: The Alternative Premier League Table 2023-24
« Reply #520 on: April 17, 2024, 02:30:17 am »
One could fit a negative slope to our live after week 5. Cheats and Arsenal's trends are almost horizontal in the second half of the season; that's champion's form... Still waiting for Arsenal's implosion, I think it will happen, but the Cheats' cookie is harder to crumple.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #521 on: April 21, 2024, 06:51:36 pm »
Back to -3 and back to the top

Offline moloch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #522 on: April 28, 2024, 08:12:55 pm »
I assume both City and Arsenal are now ahead of us in the APLT.

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #523 on: April 28, 2024, 10:02:02 pm »

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #524 on: April 28, 2024, 10:07:17 pm »
I think it's interesting to see that the home records are all below the average expected of a league winning team.  Something worth watching going forward.  Is it a blip or is it because more teams are being competitive away from home?

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #525 on: April 29, 2024, 12:53:26 am »
First half of that graph. That's typical title winning form. We just ran out of steam.

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #526 on: April 29, 2024, 06:21:48 am »
Arsenal and Man City have won all 7 of their par 3 away games.  We dropped 7 points in ours.

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #527 on: April 29, 2024, 09:52:34 am »
Arsenal and Man City have won all 7 of their par 3 away games.  We dropped 7 points in ours.

Beat the dross. Win the league
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #528 on: April 29, 2024, 10:05:47 am »
Beat the dross. Win the league

To be fair generally we were doing that, bar that Luton result. More recently though, that went to shit.

Offline Prof

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #529 on: April 29, 2024, 10:05:24 pm »
To be fair generally we were doing that, bar that Luton result. More recently though, that went to shit.
Which is why we were in the running.  It's this idea that the game against man Utd was a catastrophe that has annoyed me.  It damaged confidence more than our title chances.  You don't lose the league by dropping points in those games.  You do it by losing at home to crystal Palace and away at Everton (although in fairness, Everton away is a different proposition for us than for the other two, but Spurs and West Ham are probably harder for arsenal than for other teams).

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: April 29, 2024, 10:21:08 pm »
Which is why we were in the running.  It's this idea that the game against man Utd was a catastrophe that has annoyed me.  It damaged confidence more than our title chances.  You don't lose the league by dropping points in those games.  You do it by losing at home to crystal Palace and away at Everton (although in fairness, Everton away is a different proposition for us than for the other two, but Spurs and West Ham are probably harder for arsenal than for other teams).

Good post, and thank you for all the work you do for this thread, every season. It’s by far one of my favourite threads (setting aside my personal dislike of the mockers meme  :D )

As I’ve noted elsewhere, as someone who thinks defence is the most important facet of a challenging team, I am also convinced our psychological collapse has been precipitated by the constant falling behind through conceding the first goal. I don’t think even “mentality monsters” can keep doing that game after game. I damn sure I have found it utterly draining and I’m just a fan.

It’s interesting to me that we have always faced two really challenging rivals in Everton and United, that consistently prove to be very tough games even if they are struggling. Arsenal have the same, two “derbies” in Chelsea and Spurs. Abu Dhabi has none (even their supposed derby rivals, Manchester United, unfailingly refuse to turn up against them. I don’t think the APLT can account for this - especially since it’s a personal bias, possibly only anecdotal rather than evidenced) but it seems to be a factor in the title race each year.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #531 on: April 30, 2024, 05:40:52 am »
Even from week 6 to 31 our performance has a negative slope. Staying on that we could have lost the league. City had a slump week 13-15, arsenal had two bad results around week 18, then then both were more or less on par. To me, the bigger problem was not the most recent slump in our form, it was that loss or draw here and there all year long.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."