Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5740058 times)

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
Re: General Arsenal Thread
« Reply #47040 on: December 27, 2017, 01:47:23 pm »
Cheers for AOC guys. The boy's starting to really come good. I always suspected there was a player in there but Arsenal's style just wasn't getting the best out of his attributes.

Makes you wonder which other players aren't suited to Wenger's tactics. Ozil and Ramsey I think are definitely two who would perform much better in teams better suited to them. Walcott too maybe? Not sure if this is as good as he gets or whether there are unfulfilled levels in him.

(Not a dig at Wenger btw, different players suit different styles. There are players out there who would be better suited to Wenger than Klopp too.)

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #47041 on: December 27, 2017, 03:05:52 pm »
Cheers for AOC guys. The boy's starting to really come good. I always suspected there was a player in there but Arsenal's style just wasn't getting the best out of his attributes.

Makes you wonder which other players aren't suited to Wenger's tactics. Ozil and Ramsey I think are definitely two who would perform much better in teams better suited to them. Walcott too maybe? Not sure if this is as good as he gets or whether there are unfulfilled levels in him.

(Not a dig at Wenger btw, different players suit different styles. There are players out there who would be better suited to Wenger than Klopp too.)

Far too early to say that the Ox has moved up a level, he had good spells at Arsenal too, still looks the same player to me, unlike for example Salah compared to Chelsea's Salah, or KDB.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #47042 on: December 27, 2017, 03:07:01 pm »

I think you'd need a time machine for that to be true.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47043 on: December 27, 2017, 03:25:16 pm »
Far too early to say that the Ox has moved up a level, he had good spells at Arsenal too, still looks the same player to me, unlike for example Salah compared to Chelsea's Salah, or KDB.

No, I think it's more than a good spell. It's slow but continuous improvement since his first appearances for us. Even physically - as someone mentioned in the AOC thread he looks a lot leaner with less muscle bulk, he's clearly been adapting his body for the intense, high energy demands Klopp requires. Yes it's not as dramatic as Salah or KdB's improvement (where we're talking about a before and after gap of years) but you're comparing them when they were barely adults who weren't given a chance to them at their peak as the best players in the league.

I think you'd need a time machine for that to be true.

Cruel ;D

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47044 on: December 27, 2017, 05:38:57 pm »
Salah had the benefit of pre-season with us.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47045 on: December 28, 2017, 11:13:52 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/dec/28/arsene-wenger-arsenal-sir-alex-ferguson-record

Nice little interview with Wenger here. Will be a shame for the game when he retires.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47046 on: December 28, 2017, 11:23:25 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/dec/28/arsene-wenger-arsenal-sir-alex-ferguson-record

Nice little interview with Wenger here. Will be a shame for the game when he retires.

Yeah I'm gonna miss him massively when he retires, he's possibly my favourite non-LFC person in English football. Absolute gent. It'll feel like the end of an era when he leaves - he's the only constant in football since my school days which feels like several lifetimes ago now.

Hope he gets a regular gig on TV - his insights and communication & delivery skills are light years ahead of every other pundit on TV.

Offline Hymer Red

• With the money from the accident she bought herself a mobile home...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47047 on: December 29, 2017, 01:15:14 am »
Yeah I'm gonna miss him massively when he retires, he's possibly my favourite non-LFC person in English football. Absolute gent. It'll feel like the end of an era when he leaves - he's the only constant in football since my school days which feels like several lifetimes ago now.

Hope he gets a regular gig on TV - his insights and communication & delivery skills are light years ahead of every other pundit on TV.

Isnt his eyesight questionable for that? Most times Ive seen him being interviewed about a decision thats gone against them he hasnt seen it!  ;D
This Klopp fella, hes not bad is he?

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47048 on: December 29, 2017, 04:46:43 pm »
Interesting article in The Guardian - Arsenal players’ frustrations with Alexis Sánchez led to dressing room bust-up.

Arsenal players led by Koscielny getting fed up with Sanchez being a dick. Bit of a mess really. I know one train of thought last summer was that it's worth letting him run his contract down because the £50 or so mill they would have got for him is worth less than the CL qualification that he would hopefully contribute to. Looks like his bad attitude means he's not playing to last season's level though so they should have got rid.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing though, eh.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47049 on: December 29, 2017, 04:56:45 pm »
Did he ever end up passing to Ramsey? That was fun to follow until Ramsey got injured.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #47050 on: December 29, 2017, 05:01:37 pm »
Interesting article in The Guardian - Arsenal players’ frustrations with Alexis Sánchez led to dressing room bust-up.

Arsenal players led by Koscielny getting fed up with Sanchez being a dick. Bit of a mess really. I know one train of thought last summer was that it's worth letting him run his contract down because the £50 or so mill they would have got for him is worth less than the CL qualification that he would hopefully contribute to. Looks like his bad attitude means he's not playing to last season's level though so they should have got rid.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing though, eh.

and his sudden upturn in form may suggest he'll be really pushing for a move again now, so another few weeks of disruption if Arsenal dig in. They can't let him go without bringing in a new player, but who will they be able to get during January I wonder, do they go back for Lemar?  I think he'll end up staying now, and they'll just put up with 5 more months of him being a whiney sulky brat!

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47051 on: December 29, 2017, 05:08:27 pm »
Did he ever end up passing to Ramsey? That was fun to follow until Ramsey got injured.

What's all that about then? Weren't they passing to each other?

and his sudden upturn in form may suggest he'll be really pushing for a move again now, so another few weeks of disruption if Arsenal dig in. They can't let him go without bringing in a new player, but who will they be able to get during January I wonder, do they go back for Lemar?  I think he'll end up staying now, and they'll just put up with 5 more months of him being a whiney sulky brat!

What's Draxler's situation? Would he be a good fit? And is he still the spare wheel in Paris? He'll want regular game time for the rest of the season with a World Cup coming up. Or is he guaranteed a spot in Der Mannschaft regardless?

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47052 on: December 29, 2017, 05:12:39 pm »
The talk is of a bid for Mahrez.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #47053 on: December 29, 2017, 05:15:13 pm »
What's all that about then? Weren't they passing to each other?

What's Draxler's situation? Would he be a good fit? And is he still the spare wheel in Paris? He'll want regular game time for the rest of the season with a World Cup coming up. Or is he guaranteed a spot in Der Mannschaft regardless?

not sure regards Draxler - I don't watch Ligue 1, so not sure how things ended up there this season for him.

He's a terrific player, but nowhere near as prolific as Sanchez. But at age 24, he's got a lot of good years ahead! He'd be a very nice fit.  He'll be going to the world cup though, I am sure of that (any injury permitting of course!).

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47054 on: January 3, 2018, 05:18:13 pm »
Hey gooners how are ye feeling about tonight and the plastics ? Ye mashed Spurs at home, spluttered against us, Utd beat ye at home too. What is the vibe around Highbury re-Sanchez and Ozil ?
Feels like a really important game if ye win and kind of big trouble if ye don't. A loss sort of says goodbye to any realistic chance of catching anyone but ourselves and Spurs.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47055 on: January 3, 2018, 05:23:34 pm »
I am wondering if Ozil has been better than Cesc Fabregas at Chelsea? Fabregas had a slow start at Chelsea, but he really is an expert of final pass, IMO, more so than even Ozil.

I just wonder if Wenger made a huge mistake by passing the option of buying Fabregas when he was leaving Barca. A midfield containing both Ozil and Fabregas may have been poor in defense, but Arsenal kept playing some absolute jokers in midfield. Surely Fabregas would have replaced Cazorla, not Ozil?

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47056 on: January 3, 2018, 05:45:58 pm »
I am wondering if Ozil has been better than Cesc Fabregas at Chelsea? Fabregas had a slow start at Chelsea, but he really is an expert of final pass, IMO, more so than even Ozil.

Didn't Fabregas start off quite well at Chelsea? I remember he was racking up the assists like nobodies business in the first half of their title winning campaign.

I just wonder if Wenger made a huge mistake by passing the option of buying Fabregas when he was leaving Barca. A midfield containing both Ozil and Fabregas may have been poor in defense, but Arsenal kept playing some absolute jokers in midfield. Surely Fabregas would have replaced Cazorla, not Ozil?

To be fair to Wenger (or whoever decides on Arsenal's transfers), back in 2014 (when Cesc moved from Barca) Cazorla was fully fit and arguably the best midfielder in the country (up there anyway) so they probably didn't realise he'd need to be replaced the following year.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #47057 on: January 3, 2018, 07:52:00 pm »
Hoping for an Arsenal win, will make the chances of united finishing sixth look better.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47058 on: January 3, 2018, 10:08:10 pm »
Watching that Arsenal game and was shocked to see Walcott brought on to try and change the game, he's for sale! I looked at their squad and I'm gobsmacked at how poor it is.

Once Ozil and Sanchez leave this is their midfield and attack:

Ramsay-Xhaka
Walcott-Iwobi-Welbeck
Lacazette

Wilshere, El Neny, Giroud the only other options. Walcott and Giroud are for sale!

Add to that Cech is 36 at the end of the season, and Koscielny is 32.. I don't think we need to worry about Arsenal finishing top 4 for a while. Look at the prices of VVD, Keita, Lemar etc. Arsenal need to spend about £250m and even that might not be enough to give them proper depth

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #47059 on: January 3, 2018, 10:22:44 pm »
Arsenal are basically us but not as good in my eyes
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47060 on: January 3, 2018, 10:43:33 pm »
Arsenal are basically us but not as good in my eyes

We're actually remarkably on a par results wise by most metrics.

We finished ahead of them by a point last season. In 2017 as a whole they won 2 more points than us (having played 1 more league game in the year). They won the FA Cup, we pipped them to the CL spot.

Amazing how big a part perception plays as we've generally been very positive over that period (on the up, heading in the right direction, etc) whereas they've been viewed very negatively (Wenger Out, stagnation, etc).

But you can barely separate us in that period (other than the fact they actually won something tangible).

Hopefully this slight gap we've now opened up will be built upon though.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #47061 on: January 3, 2018, 10:46:32 pm »
We're actually remarkably on a par results wise by most metrics.

We finished ahead of them by a point last season. In 2017 as a whole they won 2 more points than us (having played 1 more league game in the year). They won the FA Cup, we pipped them to the CL spot.

Amazing how big a part perception plays as we've generally been very positive over that period (on the up, heading in the right direction, etc) whereas they've been viewed very negatively (Wenger Out, stagnation, etc).

But you can barely separate us in that period (other than the fact they actually won something tangible).

Hopefully this slight gap we've now opened up will be built upon though.
As you say, we’re coming from completely different directions. We’ve been used to 7th place finishes for nigh on the best part of this decade, where as they’ve been secure in the top 4 over the same period.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47062 on: January 3, 2018, 10:49:37 pm »
As you say, we’re coming from completely different directions. We’ve been used to 7th place finishes for nigh on the best part of this decade, where as they’ve been secure in the top 4 over the same period.

Yes true. I think overall the future of our players looks better than theirs (because we don't have as many key players in the autumn of their careers and also it looks like we'll 'only' be losing one key player this summer (worse case scenario) and they'll be losing two).

If these current trajectories continue we should be streets ahead of them in 12 months.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #47063 on: January 3, 2018, 10:52:09 pm »
Yes true. I think overall the future of our players looks better than theirs (because we don't have as many key players in the autumn of their careers and also it looks like we'll 'only' be losing one key player this summer (worse case scenario) and they'll be losing two).

If these current trajectories continue we should be streets ahead of them in 12 months.
You’d certainly hope so, I don’t think they’re in a very good place as a club right now. The Oxlade transfer basically sums up for me the way the two clubs are moving.

Said in another thread that i think they’re nailed on for sixth place.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #47064 on: January 4, 2018, 12:02:57 pm »
I mean is there a better way to describe this Arsenal side than what happened after Bellerin's goal? We were watching the bloody replay ffs and then next thing you see is Morata one on one.

Don't know if the formation causes that but their central midfield, especially with Xhaka and Wilshere, is a bit of a black hole.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47065 on: January 4, 2018, 12:10:47 pm »
They had several years of only a bottling Spurs side challenging them for 4th, they never built on it. If this ends up being a few years in the shade they can have no complaints, although the blame will lie with Wenger.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47066 on: January 4, 2018, 03:02:22 pm »
Ive been underwhelmed by both Lacazette and Morata at Chelsea. They are decent but not quite top quality.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47067 on: January 4, 2018, 03:24:01 pm »
Lacazette’s been alright but Salah’s just making every other summer signing look shit by comparison, even the alright ones

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47068 on: January 5, 2018, 12:21:38 am »
Lacazette’s been alright but Salah’s just making every other summer signing look shit by comparison, even the alright ones

I agree with this.

Offline Xabier Alonso Olano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47069 on: January 5, 2018, 01:34:37 am »
5 points off top 4 with Spurs also ahead of them. They've got a real dilemma facing them now regarding Ozil and Sanchez. Do they keep hold again, when it looks less than likely that they will make the CL next season (£70m revenue), or do they recoup whatever they can now and sit on it for a rebuild in the summer?

It won't be half of what they need but it's better than the nothing they will receive if they go in the summer. The fans will hate it, but then they already hate the owners, board and manager.

They seem to be in a right mess, Metersacker retiring, Debuchy, Cazorla both seem finished, Cech at 36 and past his best, Walcott and Giroud seemingly on their ways out. Arsene has slowly eroded a large squad into a mismatch of ageing players and young players not quite at the level they need.

In the week where we have signed the most expensive defender of all time, they've signed some Greek 19 year old CB for £2m. Says it all.

Don't get me wrong, there are still some good players left even after they will lose a good 5 or 6 in the summer, but to fuck if you think Wenger will get the best out of them. Its even stranger that they are considering selling Walcott, they might not need him now but they will once Ozil and Sanchez go, he will be playing every week then.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47070 on: January 5, 2018, 02:23:34 am »
If they don’t sell anyone they still have a very good chance of winning the el

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47071 on: January 5, 2018, 03:01:41 am »
Ive been underwhelmed by both Lacazette and Morata at Chelsea. They are decent but not quite top quality.

I like Morata, he is having a decent first season. Maybe not world class just yet but he offers a lot of different things and his goalscoring has been good too.

Lacazette this season reminds me a bit of Sturridge, not the Sturridge that scored a goal a game but Sturridge post injuries. His technique is good and he has the habit of getting into good goalscoring positions, but he looks slower than he looked in France. Finishing also has been average.

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
  • Bayern Munich - Mia San Mia
« Reply #47072 on: January 5, 2018, 03:19:47 am »
If they don’t sell anyone they still have a very good chance of winning the el

Atletico Madrid, Dortmund, Lazio, Leipzig, Lyon, Napoli, Villareal are no pushovers.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47073 on: January 5, 2018, 03:39:03 am »
Id still back us to end the season with a trophy, again. We seem to turn up big in semis and finals no matter the opposition.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47074 on: January 5, 2018, 08:40:42 am »
Id still back us to end the season with a trophy, again. We seem to turn up big in semis and finals no matter the opposition.

Usually Hull City ?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47075 on: January 5, 2018, 08:47:28 am »
Ps, I've probably said this before, but I don't feel it's right that the fa investigate Wenger for criticism of the ref. It's a fair comment that he made mistakes or had a bad game.
If Wenger called him a cheat or something like that, there are slander laws to deal with it.
It's like the , taking shirt off rule. If it's a celebration, great. If it's inciting violence or something like that theb again why not leave it as a police matter.
For me the fa should be concerned with the laws of the game.eg defining if a handball has to be deliberate or if benefit of doubt should be given for offside.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47076 on: January 5, 2018, 09:37:18 am »

Nailed on for the league cup imo.

Usually Hull City ?

City and Chelsea dispatched last season in the semis & final. For all their faults they're clinical at the late stages of the knockouts these days
« Last Edit: January 5, 2018, 09:39:06 am by Xabi Gerrard »

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47077 on: January 5, 2018, 10:47:12 am »
Arsene Wenger revealed he’s been invited to the ceremony which will see one of his greatest former players confirmed as president of his country.

George Weah, who was with the Frenchman at Monaco, was elected president of Liberia last year, and will be inaugurated later this month.

Weah, who won the Ballon D’Or and FIFA World Player of Year awards, has always cited Wenger as a key influence in his career.

“He was a father figure and regarded me as his son,” he said.

“This was a man, when racism was at its peak, who showed me love. He wanted me to be on the pitch for him every day.

“One day, I was quite tired of training and told him that I was having a headache. He said to me: ‘George, I know it’s tough but you need to work hard. I believe that with your talent, you can become one of the best players in the world.’

“So, I listened and kept going on. Besides God, I think that without Arsene, there was no way I would have made it in Europe.”

At his press conference today, during which many of the questions were about his FA charges, the manager was asked about Weah’s life after football and responded, “A happy subject! Finally we got one.

“I have been invited by George to come to the day where he will be president. But what is important is that when you look at his life, and I think the life of this guy is a real film.

“It is unbelievable, all my life I remember when I saw him the first time in Monaco, a bit lost, not knowing anybody, not being rated by anybody as a player, and becoming after in 95 the best player in the world."

“I wish him a happy presidency, and I must say this guy is an example for everybody who plays football today … for all the players.”

Asked if he’d be going to Liberia for the ceremony, Wenger replied, “I don’t think so because I believe I will be busy.

“Maybe if I am suspended I will have time to go!”

If only all Arsenal fans were like Arsene wenger, wed have a fan base full of legends, not just me.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47078 on: January 5, 2018, 03:51:02 pm »
Three game touchline ban for Wenger.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #47079 on: January 5, 2018, 04:20:13 pm »
Three game touchline ban for Wenger.