Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5739714 times)

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: General Arsenal Thread
« Reply #46640 on: September 3, 2017, 12:04:46 am »
One big reason why they're shit in big games is having an ultimate luxury player in the team who is anonymous in practically every big game they play. Like Gerrard said with him in the team they are a man down.

The season before he joined Arsenal they got beat 2-1 at home by Chelsea, they lost 2-1 at Man U, lost 2-0 at home to Man City, lost 2-1 away at Chelsea, got beat 2-1 at Tottenham. In the 2011/12 season they lost 8-2 at Old Trafford, lost 2-0 against us at home, lost 2-1 away at White Hart Lane, lost 1-0 away at Man City and lost 2-1 at home to Man U. The problems against big sides pre-date Ozil joining. As I said he's become a scapegoat.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #46641 on: September 3, 2017, 12:11:14 am »
The problems against big sides pre-date Ozil joining. As I said he's become a scapegoat.
They've been poor before him, they bring him in as a big name on a big money at the time and arguably regress instead of improving in big games. He's a scapegoat for a reason.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46642 on: September 3, 2017, 01:10:39 am »
They've been poor before him, they bring him in as a big name on a big money at the time and arguably regress instead of improving in big games. He's a scapegoat for a reason.

They haven't improved much in the league, if at all but they've won 3 FA Cups since he signed. They hadn't won any trophies for about a decade before he joined.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46643 on: September 3, 2017, 04:26:43 am »
Now Wilshere complaining.about lack of playing time lol

Jack Wilshere has taken to social media to complain about a lack of game time at Arsenal.

Wilshere replied to an Instagram post by former Bournemouth team-mate Tyrone Mings about his new football academy, hinting at his discontent.

“Do you take 25-year-olds who can’t get a game?” Wilshere wrote. “I’m fully fit and ready go.”

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46644 on: September 3, 2017, 04:29:03 am »

Jack Wilshere has taken to social media to complain about a lack of game time at Arsenal.

Wilshere replied to an Instagram post by former Bournemouth team-mate Tyrone Mings about his new football academy, hinting at his discontent.

“Do you take 25-year-olds who can’t get a game?” Wilshere wrote. “I’m fully fit and ready go.”

:lmao
choose Life.

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46645 on: September 3, 2017, 08:20:57 am »

#shaaambles
"But the most important thing that we all must remember is that this football club is much more important and bigger than anybody."~ King Kenny Dalglish

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #46646 on: September 3, 2017, 09:20:20 am »
#shaaambles

That's Kieron Gibbs nickname isn't it?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #46647 on: September 3, 2017, 10:17:54 am »
Arsene saying that Lemar decided to stay at Monaco and that the bid being accepted was true...

But says they will try again for him in the future

So, he's turned you down once and you go back for you? That's a little odd to me...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46648 on: September 3, 2017, 10:23:14 am »
Arsene saying that Lemar decided to stay at Monaco and that the bid being accepted was true...

So, he's turned you down once and you go back for you? That's a little odd to me...
Just face saving.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46649 on: September 3, 2017, 10:27:43 am »
Only chance these lot have got of signing Lemar is if they get themselves back into the CL. Otherwise, they've no chance in my opinion.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46650 on: September 3, 2017, 10:52:47 am »
Only chance these lot have got of signing Lemar is if they get themselves back into the CL. Otherwise, they've no chance in my opinion.
Rightly so, throwing money at a player to step down from a Champions League club only works on some of them. Others still consider it an important factor. We had to deal with that for years with players like Mata and Willian.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #46651 on: September 3, 2017, 01:29:38 pm »

Think he's assuming they'll get champions league next season and Lemar might change his mind.
Poor fella. He might as well have just kept silent.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46652 on: September 3, 2017, 04:42:17 pm »
That's Kieron Gibbs nickname isn't it?

Better not be after signing for us...
"But the most important thing that we all must remember is that this football club is much more important and bigger than anybody."~ King Kenny Dalglish

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #46653 on: September 3, 2017, 04:54:55 pm »

Really can't see Arsenal competing in the elite bracket of the transfer market for a long time. Lacazette will soon realise his mistake as well.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46654 on: September 3, 2017, 04:57:55 pm »
Ozil is possibly the most underrated player in the Premier League. Across La Liga, Bundesliga and the Premier League he's posted double digit assists 5 times in his career and has 9 in another couple of seasons. The guy is an unbelievable player but if you listened to pundits you'd think he's a total liability that needs binning. We'll see how important he is when he leaves and you're struggling mightily to create a clear chance a game.

I'm with you here, i think he would do wonders with a manager like Klopp.

Online ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46655 on: September 3, 2017, 05:27:35 pm »
Really can't see Arsenal competing in the elite bracket of the transfer market for a long time. Lacazette will soon realise his mistake as well.

Do you need to compete at the elite bracket to get good players? I wouldn't class Salah in the elite bracket, likewise Mane the season before, but both look to be great signings.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #46656 on: September 3, 2017, 05:39:51 pm »
I think they probably offered Lemar a joke of a wage for such a big transfer knowing full well he'd turn it down.

Don't forget that among tight bastards, Wenger is the tightest of the bunch  :wave
Linudden.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #46657 on: September 3, 2017, 05:48:42 pm »
I think they probably offered Lemar a joke of a wage for such a big transfer knowing full well he'd turn it down.

Don't forget that among tight bastards, Wenger is the tightest of the bunch  :wave

Very odd whats going on there.

It seemed pretty well documented that Lemar wanted to come here, and turned them down. Then Wenger confirms they bid and he turned them down....so they'll try again in January....? Why?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46658 on: September 3, 2017, 05:51:42 pm »
The reports alongside what Wenger said were saying that Lemar didn't have enough time to mull Arsenal's offer over.... Weren't they in for him all summer?

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #46659 on: September 3, 2017, 05:55:21 pm »
Our season will be determined by not the quality of player we have  just now, but if Wenger can get them all playing with the correct attitude...

Season over then?   ;)
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #46660 on: September 3, 2017, 06:00:59 pm »

It seemed pretty well documented that Lemar wanted to come here, and turned them down. Then Wenger confirms they bid and he turned them down....so they'll try again in January....? Why?

Arsenal probably offered 100 k/week or something like that which is ridiculous for a 90 m move. Lemar probably wanted more in line with 150-160 k a week I'd guess. Of course he would've said yes had they offered him more than what they offered Chamberlain for an extension. It's not like Monaco pay their domestic youngsters royal wages and also French citizens have to pay French taxes even if they live in Monaco.
Linudden.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46661 on: September 3, 2017, 06:08:12 pm »

He rejected them because he didn't want to play a club in Europa League . Probably the chaos situation at Arsenal at the moment didn't help either.

Actually french  reports are saying he wants to come to Liverpool next season.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46662 on: September 3, 2017, 06:11:44 pm »
He rejected them because he didn't want to play a club in Europa League . Probably the chaos situation at Arsenal at the moment didn't help either.

Actually french  reports are saying he wants to come to Liverpool next season.

I'd take him if Coutinho still decides he wants out. Not really sure where he'd fit in if Phil stays, but I suppose you can never have too many good players and Lemar does look like he'll end up being a fantastic player. I'm very glad Arsenal didn't get him.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46663 on: September 3, 2017, 07:03:35 pm »

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46664 on: September 3, 2017, 08:01:21 pm »
It's only been 3 games, it's not a crisis, it's the typical Arsenal scenario.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46665 on: September 3, 2017, 08:33:27 pm »
Exactly, this dance has been danced many a time. You know they will be there or there abouts come the end of the season. Maybe their squd is abit light this year but way too early for them to panic, I think they just hate Arsene.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #46666 on: September 3, 2017, 08:41:36 pm »
This is interesting. According to a story I've read in the Mirror it has Lemar as wanting to go to both Liverpool and Arsenal, the quotes are from the Monaco President. So was he going to play for the Arse midweek and for us on the weekend? Bizarre story.  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46667 on: September 3, 2017, 08:50:54 pm »
Exactly, this dance has been danced many a time. You know they will be there or there abouts come the end of the season. Maybe their squd is abit light this year but way too early for them to panic, I think they just hate Arsene.
Depends how seriously they take the Europa League, some of their fans seem to be of the opinion that they can stroll through the group stages by fielding the U23s..
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46668 on: September 3, 2017, 08:55:45 pm »
The season before he joined Arsenal they got beat 2-1 at home by Chelsea, they lost 2-1 at Man U, lost 2-0 at home to Man City, lost 2-1 away at Chelsea, got beat 2-1 at Tottenham. In the 2011/12 season they lost 8-2 at Old Trafford, lost 2-0 against us at home, lost 2-1 away at White Hart Lane, lost 1-0 away at Man City and lost 2-1 at home to Man U. The problems against big sides pre-date Ozil joining. As I said he's become a scapegoat.

When you spend over £40m on a player (back when that was a lot  :butt) and that is your only transfer of note that summer then you are going to expect them to stand up and be counted in the biggest games though, your stars are the ones that are meant to make a difference in those games and not for the opposition so it is reasonable for there to be a degree of scapegoating being directed in his direction even if most of it should be in Wenger's direction.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #46669 on: September 3, 2017, 08:56:35 pm »
One thing I'd say about Wenger.... just when you think he's finished, he always magaes to pull something out of the hat....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46670 on: September 3, 2017, 09:04:41 pm »
One thing I'd say about Wenger.... just when you think he's finished, he always magaes to pull something out of the hat....

Eventually though they'll be no more rabbits left to pull

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46671 on: September 3, 2017, 09:07:10 pm »
Feels eerily like the end of Rodgers to be honest, switched to 5 at the back out of desperation which bought him another season. Then in the summer signed a new striker as an expensive last roll of the dice. If their form doesn't pick up this month I think he'll be in trouble.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46672 on: September 3, 2017, 09:14:47 pm »
until last season I'd have agreed with you, think finishing 5th at last took a lot from their aura

last time he had a start this bad they drew at Newcastle, lost at home to us and had the 8-2 at old Trafford (and from memory it could have been worse) - he responded by buying arteta, mertesacker (both who were decent for them) and Andre santos (shite) and some Korean guy who did fuck all.

This time he sold oxlade chamberlain and brought nobody else in.

Feels eerily like the end of Rodgers to be honest, switched to 5 at the back out of desperation which bought him another season. Then in the summer signed a new striker as an expensive last roll of the dice. If their form doesn't pick up this month I think he'll be in trouble.
Bit of that and houillier 03/04

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #46673 on: September 3, 2017, 10:06:32 pm »
This seems unfair, it's not him that controls the finances is it?  I admit I'd never thought much about Kroenke, but Ken Early was talking the other day about how hated he is in the US for starving whatever St Louis team he owned, before shipping the whole franchise out to LA to chase cash.

I'm beginning to wonder whether Wenger's staying on primarily because he knows the whole edifice is going to fall apart without him.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #46674 on: September 3, 2017, 10:17:45 pm »

he's spent plenty. And Arsenal spend plenty on wages too.

Offline zanwalk

• Main Stander
« Reply #46675 on: September 3, 2017, 10:21:20 pm »
If they really wanted Lemar why wait until the very last hours of a transfer window to double their original offer? It was a bizarre scenario, as apparently they were willing to let Sanchez go to City eventually, and then both deals crumbled in the last minutes of a two month transfer window! While we will never know all the details, it certainly appears to be poor transfer management whoever is ultimately responsible for that.

There is an interesting article on the Guardian website:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/sep/03/crystal-palace-shoulder-blame-frank-de-boer-heritage

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46676 on: September 3, 2017, 10:22:51 pm »
This seems unfair, it's not him that controls the finances is it?  I admit I'd never thought much about Kroenke, but Ken Early was talking the other day about how hated he is in the US for starving whatever St Louis team he owned, before shipping the whole franchise out to LA to chase cash.

I'm beginning to wonder whether Wenger's staying on primarily because he knows the whole edifice is going to fall apart without him.

Stan Kroenke: I didn't buy Arsenal stake to win trophies

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46677 on: September 3, 2017, 10:26:30 pm »
he's spent plenty. And Arsenal spend plenty on wages too.
Nah I still can't believe they ended with a profit this summer. The season they finished outside the top 4 for the first time in yonks. That's their raison d'être, more competition than ever, and they still can't spend what they need to. It's nuts.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46678 on: September 3, 2017, 10:33:30 pm »
There is an interesting article on the Guardian website:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/sep/03/crystal-palace-shoulder-blame-frank-de-boer-heritage
F*ck me - off-topic but the thing that rocked me back from that Guardian article is that Palace are going to replace de Boer with the owl.
Incidentally, if or when Wenger goes, who do you gooners think is going to replace him?

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #46679 on: September 3, 2017, 10:50:55 pm »
Nah I still can't believe they ended with a profit this summer. The season they finished outside the top 4 for the first time in yonks. That's their raison d'être, more competition than ever, and they still can't spend what they need to. It's nuts.

I wasn't refering to this summer, just in general, he's spent plenty over the years, and again, they spend plenty on wages too. Sure, not as much as the likes of Mourinho and Guardiola obviously! But he's not some pauper in the transfer market.