Author Topic: Liverpool vs Blackburn  (Read 21657 times)

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
Liverpool vs Blackburn
« on: October 24, 2010, 01:06:23 pm »
Good afternoon folks,

Chakan will be along shortly.

A must win match for Liverpool at home today, and another crucial encounter where 3 points at stake.

Preview:

(Link: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/preview?id=293031&league=ENG.1&cc=4716)

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson is set to revert to his strongest line-up for Sunday's visit of Blackburn after resting a number of players in midweek.

Fernando Torres, Steven Gerrard, Raul Meireles and Lucas Leiva are all set to return after being left at home for the Europa goalless draw against Napoli in Italy.

Defender Jamie Carragher came off at half-time in that game and needs to be given the all-clear to play but right-back Glen Johnson is set to return after missing the last two games with a hamstring problem.

Centre-back Daniel Agger missed the trip because of illness but could come back into the squad.

Forward Dirk Kuyt is still at least a couple of weeks away from returning from an ankle injury.

Hodgson believes the club's struggles this season will make them a stronger unit over time.

The 63-year-old faces former club Blackburn knowing his side have to put in a performance after just one victory in eight Premier League matches.

Liverpool's position in the relegation zone is unfamiliar territory for a club which is used to regularly finishing in the top four and excelling in Europe.

At the moment, just qualifying for next season's Europa League would be an achievement but Hodgson remains confident his team will rise to the challenge and prove their - and his - critics wrong.

"I think we are getting stronger as a team and a squad and we are becoming more organised in the sense of how I would like to see us organised,'' he told Press Association Sport.

"As far as I am concerned it is still a work in progress and we have an awful lot of rebuilding to do.

"But having gone to Naples after a derby defeat and getting a good goalless draw with a team no-one expected to get that is positive going into the game on Sunday.

"What we need is a bit of luck. When you are down there and you are not getting the victories the pressure builds up and confidence takes a battering and everyone starts to question things.

"There is lots of speculation and negative things being said but we understand that. It is par for the course and that is what football is.

"But the only way you can get out of it is keep working hard, keep trying to get those results and then hopefully, when you have done it, it will make you stronger for it.

"Most of the players and myself are more accustomed to pats on the back than kicks in the teeth but we also know that in football kicks in the teeth are part of the game.

"What you do is try to keep as many teeth as you can and try to get on with it.''

Christopher Samba is suspended but Ryan Nelsen may have recovered from a thigh injury picked up on international duty.

Keith Andrews (groin), Jason Roberts (ankle) and Vince Grella (hamstring) are out.

New recruit Herold Goulon, who signed a two-year deal after a successful trial period, will not feature as he awaits international clearance.

Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce believes Liverpool counterpart Hodgson deserves time to address the Reds' on-field ills - but is hoping to add to them.

Liverpool have finally completed a protracted change of ownership and Allardyce insists Hodgson cannot be blamed for all Liverpool's failings so far this season.

"I always thought this would be a year of transition for a club that has sold off a lot of its players and Roy has a huge task, but I didn't think they would have as few points as they have at the moment,'' said the Blackburn manager.

"All the pressure of the takeover and the money situation has obviously affected the team.

"There's a healthy atmosphere in a football club that you can feel that there's something great and it's building, and there's the opposite which has created a knock to that normal Liverpool feeling.

"It's one of the institutions of football made great by the late, great Bill Shankly and that has declined now, the feeling has been lost and it's a great shame, and that's what they must grasp back.

"It's not just down to Roy Hodgson, it's the structure of the club as a whole, building the atmosphere back.

"I feel for Roy, he seems to be bearing the brunt of the blame. If he gets enough time he will get it righ
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Re: Liverpool vs Blackburn
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 02:14:47 pm »
So here we are 17th in the league and needing a 3-0 win at home to get out of the relegation Zone. 1 win in 8 games and losing to our bitter rivals already this season.

We need a resounding win at home. With the owners and new board looking on (Minus Henry, who I hope is recovering well, we need their forward thinking and practicality now more than ever), we need to pick up the points today. A draw isn't even enough. I shudder to think what will happen if we lose.

The team in full is: Reina, Konchesky, Carragher, Kyrgiakos, Skrtel, Lucas, Meireles, Maxi, Cole, Gerrard, Torres. Subs: Jones, Jovanovic, Babel, Ngog, Poulsen, Shelvey, Kelly.

Poulsen on the bench? Roy must be ill.

Agger doesn't even feature (guess he is still "sick") Carra at right back in place of Kelly? No comment. For those who are keeping score this is the 5th game in a row Pacheco doesn't even make the bench. We are going to lose a talented young prospect.

45mins till kick off see you there!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 02:24:05 pm by Chakan »

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 02:34:26 pm »
So Chakan, here we go:

Liverpool starting 11:

Pepe Reina   (G)
16   Sotirios Kyrgiakos   (CD-L)
37   Martin Skrtel   (CD-R)
3   Paul Konchesky   (LB)
23   Jamie Carragher   (RB)
21   Lucas   (CM-L)
4   Raul Meireles   (CM-R)
10   Joe Cole   (LM)
17   Maxi Rodríguez   (RM)
9   Fernando Torres   (F)
8   Steven Gerrard   (RCF)

Subs:

19   Ryan Babel   (SUB)
1   Brad Jones   (SUB)
28   Christian Poulsen   (SUB)
24   David Ngog   (SUB)
33   Jonjo Shelvey   (SUB)
34   Martin Kelly   (SUB)
14   Milan Jovanovic   (SUB)
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 02:35:09 pm »
And Blackburn line up with:

1   Paul Robinson   (G)
5   Gael Givet   (CD-L)
28   Phil Jones   (CD-R)
3   Martin Olsson   (LB)
27   Míchel Salgado   (RB)
15   Steven Nzonzi   (CM-L)
7   Brett Emerton   (CM-R)
8   David Dunn   (AM)
12   Morten Gamst Pedersen   (LM)
10   El-Hadji Diouf   (RM)
9   Nikola Kalinic   (F)

Subs:

13   Mark Bunn   (SUB)
21   Benjani Mwaruwari   (SUB)
39   Pascal Chimbonda   (SUB)
11   Vince Grella   (SUB)
23   David Hoilett   (SUB)
41   Mame Biram Diouf   (SUB)
33   Josh Morris   (SUB)

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 02:38:11 pm »
So here we are 17th in the league and needing a 3-0 win at home to get out of the relegation Zone. 1 win in 8 games and losing to our bitter rivals already this season.

We need a resounding win at home. With the owners and new board looking on (Minus Henry, who I hope is recovering well, we need their forward thinking and practicality now more than ever), we need to pick up the points today. A draw isn't even enough. I shudder to think what will happen if we lose.

The team in full is: Reina, Konchesky, Carragher, Kyrgiakos, Skrtel, Lucas, Meireles, Maxi, Cole, Gerrard, Torres. Subs: Jones, Jovanovic, Babel, Ngog, Poulsen, Shelvey, Kelly.

Poulsen on the bench? Roy must be ill.

Agger doesn't even feature (guess he is still "sick") Carra at right back in place of Kelly? No comment. For those who are keeping score this is the 5th game in a row Pacheco doesn't even make the bench. We are going to lose a talented young prospect.

45mins till kick off see you there!

Hi Chakan,

A brilliant day for football but what we must remember is this is a home game and no matter an opportunity to grab three VITAL points with Everton dropping points yesterday and a host of other sides in the bottom half of the table all losing, West Ham included. 3 points today will jack us up a fair bit up the table BUT, which Liverpool side will turn up today?

Agger is out injured as expected whilst this is an unchanged side from the team that lost 2-0 against Everton last weekend. However, Shelvy, one of our brightest stars for the future gets a spot on the bench alongside young Martin Kelly, top scorer this season Ngog, the ever present Poulsen and Jova.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 02:38:47 pm »
So Mad Men what formation do you think Roy will set up with?

With that team I think it screams

4-2-3-1 But I doubt we will see that.

Thoughts?

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 02:45:08 pm »
So Mad Men what formation do you think Roy will set up with?

With that team I think it screams

4-2-3-1 But I doubt we will see that.

Thoughts?

Mate,

Expect Roy's "tried and tested" formation of 4-2-3-1 formation....but the big question is today, how far down our side of the pitch will our defence be parked today?

:)

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 02:49:04 pm »

Mate,

Expect Roy's "tried and tested" formation of 4-2-3-1 formation....but the big question is today, how far down our side of the pitch will our defence be parked today?

:)

I expect Reina must be getting very bored talking to Carra and Skrtel every time looks up and sees them on his 6 yard line.
Hows one supposed to enjoy a cuppa when the ball is constantly being fired at you? Remember the good ol days when Reina would sitting on his goal line singing Camarero with the fans while Gerrard and Torres were upfront terrorizing defenders? ;)

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 02:51:53 pm »
I hope I'm wrong, but 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2 or however it looks on paper, I have a bad feeling that the extent of our shape today may well be "right lads, Stevie's in the centre and Carra's right-back, the rest of ye spread out..."

That's the thing this season people don't seem to quite understand where they are supposed to be. It does seem a very hodge podge mishmash of a playing style.

Send us your thoughts!

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 02:52:02 pm »
I expect Reina must be getting very bored talking to Carra and Skrtel every time looks up and sees them on his 6 yard line.
Hows one supposed to enjoy a cuppa when the ball is constantly being fired at you? Remember the good ol days when Reina would sitting on his goal line singing Camarero with the fans while Gerrard and Torres were upfront terrorizing defenders? ;)

Well, Blackburn are no push overs but I have a good feeling today. I really do and I think 3 points are possible against a Blackburn side that are a solid, tough side that don't give much away one week, and one that play's brilliant in the first half and are abysmal in the second.

Then again, thus far this season, we have been no better.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 02:57:02 pm »
Well, Blackburn are no push overs but I have a good feeling today. I really do and I think 3 points are possible against a Blackburn side that are a solid, tough side that don't give much away one week, and one that play's brilliant in the first half and are abysmal in the second.

Then again, thus far this season, we have been no better.

True Blackburn are no pushovers, sad how far we have fallen when we think the points are possible at Anfield instead of thinking the points are inevitable. But anyway 4mins to the game.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 02:57:55 pm »
let the agony, oops, game begin!!!!   GO YOU REDMEN YNWA

;)

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 02:58:44 pm »
Chakan,

Aurelio failed to make the sub's bench today. Are rumor's he has a slipped disc true?

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 03:00:50 pm »
Teams coming out the tunnel. Apparently all we need to do it beat blackburn and we are out of the relegation zone. No mention of goal difference.
So apparently it's a 4-4-2

Maxi   Raul   Lucas   Cole
    Gerrard     Torres

I must say I liking the Raul Lucas partnership.

Jerry belting out You'll Never Walk Alone.

Stirring stuff

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 03:02:23 pm »
And we are off!!

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 03:02:49 pm »
Liverpool attacking from right to left.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 03:03:39 pm »
New owner singing along with Broughton. Quelle surprise! :wave

Least he knows the words.... tells me they have done some research ... that's my positive view and I am sticking to it!

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 03:04:22 pm »
2:00 Early pressure from Blackburn pederson with a long throw into the box Reina fouled and pressure is relieved

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 03:05:41 pm »
Attacking football? Praise the LORD!

Is a bit surprising lets hope it pays off

Torres 4 goals in 3 games against Blackburn! Come on fernando make it 5 in 4

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 03:06:50 pm »
5:00 Free kick Liverpopol...Gerrard..crosses but Pedersen clears and a foul called by Skerts. Blackburn free kick in their box.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2010, 03:08:10 pm »
5:00 Pressure from liverpool earns Maxi a foul 35 yards out, Gerrard over it. Whipped in and it's head tennis , finally landing on Skrtels arm and danger over

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2010, 03:08:16 pm »
Liverpool trying to find their feet in this game...it's been two months since Liverpool won a league match at Anfield..but remember, spurs were in a similar situation two seasons ago under Juan Ramos..they sacked him and finished strong after making some quality signings in January..

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2010, 03:09:34 pm »
Can you tell us what formation we're playing, please.

We are currently set up as 4-4-2

Reina
Carra Soto  Skrtel  Konchesky
Maxi     Meireles Lucas   Cole
         Gerrard Torres

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2010, 03:11:41 pm »
7:00 Robinson makes a point blank save from Cole after a wonderful Liverpool move....should/could have been the first goal of the match...

8:00..Diouf collects the ball for a Blackburn throw in and get's the usual "welcome" from supporters at the by-line..

9:00 Goalkick to Liverpool..deep kick into the Blackburn half...Liverpool look purposful...a brilliant cross by Gerrard...Torres sets himself up but the cross is intercepted by a Blackburn defender...

Liverpool look good...sound movement..vibrant..and attacking...

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2010, 03:11:58 pm »
8:00 Great chance created by Torres and Maxi (been involved a lot) Torres tried the shot but it's blocked falls to Cole who has a shot and it's saved by Robinson Raul with a open net screws it wide of a diving Robinson. Should have scored!!!

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2010, 03:13:06 pm »
Must say we are looking like a team who want to win. We are pressuring taking it to Blackburn.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2010, 03:13:41 pm »
Game so far being played in the opposition half. Been a long time since I have said that. Refreshing.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2010, 03:14:40 pm »
12:00 Liverpool attack with Cole on the left..links up with Konchesky....Cole with the ball..collects it and moves into the middle of the Blackburn half but losses possession..

Diouf with the ball..his ball to Pedersen is collected by Liverpool and Lucas with the ball now...out wide to Carra..who crosses high into the box at the byline...the ball drops to Torres who headers it...rises above his marker but can't get a solid header.

Goalkick.

Torres needs a goal. Badly.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2010, 03:15:37 pm »
13:00 Cole trying to play  a 1 2 with Torres but gets the pass wrong and blackburn has 10 behind the ball. Liverpool pressuring. Gerrard spreads it out to Carragher on the right wing and manages to get the cross in Torres gets a glancing header but it goes out for a goal kick

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2010, 03:15:52 pm »
Must say we are looking like a team who want to win. We are pressuring taking it to Blackburn.

We are looking good at the moment Chakan..or could it be down to the fact this is a very poor Blackburn side without Samba in the side?

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2010, 03:17:50 pm »
15:00 Soto back covering makes a great tackle and the ball is out for a throw, nothing comes from it, and Pepe collects. Breaks quickly to Maxi and a go slide rule ball for Torres to chase is a bit heavy and keeper collects.

Positive stuff from us.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2010, 03:18:07 pm »
15:00 Maxi is probably having THE MOST productive game thus far this season I must add..he is getting the ball, making himself useful...playing quick 1-2's with Lucas and Raul...looking for space..and looking dangerous out wide.....

16:00 Gerrard with a Liverpool corner..on to the head of Soto....his header is going in BUT is saved by Robinson....almost! almost!..good save!

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2010, 03:19:08 pm »
We are looking good at the moment Chakan..or could it be down to the fact this is a very poor Blackburn side without Samba in the side?

Blackburn are playing like we have been for the past 8 games, defending deep with 10 men behind the ball waiting for the counter. They are letting us dictate the game. I am liking it. So I think it's a combination of both

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2010, 03:20:23 pm »
The role of Pepe Reina will today be played by Paul Robinson. Keeping his team in the game.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2010, 03:21:26 pm »
19:00 Soft foul given on Soto, Pederson sends it in looking for Diouf, Linesmen has his flag up .... freekick to liverpool

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2010, 03:22:29 pm »
Boughton trying to explain the game to Werner. *much nodding and smiling

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2010, 03:22:48 pm »
Liverpool are looking fluid (for once)...are moving well and passing well..

20:00 Torres earns a free kick left side of the blackburn half. Ball is spread out to the right side for Gerrard and Carra....ball is crossed but its cleared ahead of Torres.

It takes a deflection off Torres..goalkick Blackburn.

21:00 Konchesky attacks but the attack breaks down..tried a 1-2 with Torres..

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2010, 03:23:20 pm »
Carragher is going to get a nose bleed if he keeps getting so high up the pitch.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2010, 03:24:50 pm »
23:00 Cole collects the ball..Liverpool left..takes on two Blackburn defenders...takes it wide and win's a corner

Good run!

Gerrard with a hard hit corner..it's cleared...Pedersen caught by Lucas outside the box..free kick Blackburn.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2010, 03:25:59 pm »
23:00 Throw in deep in blackburn territory. Carra to stevie, another throw in, same forumal stevei crosses but no-one on the end of it, cole on the left gets the ball and works hard for a corner. Gerrard over it, Pederson wins the header and it's cleared to lucas who gives away a foul