Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 554504 times)

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #10080 on: April 23, 2024, 08:13:09 am »
Given the comments made about him, the people deemed unlikely or ruled out, and the data analytical approach, I think it's going to be Thomas Frank

Thomas Frank? Please, no.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10081 on: April 23, 2024, 08:13:14 am »
very common these days for “Private” jets to have fractional ownership. You can own a share in a jet or just rent usage of a jet. So good chance it’s not owned by West Ham or us.
I also think West Ham don’t really need to keep quiet about interviewing Amorim (if they are sacking Moyes), whereas we have Klopp’s leaving to respect and typically Edwards et al keep stum about such things.
So no reason that this isn’t the first chance Amorim has had to do some interviews, including West Ham (who are not “hiding” this) and possibly also ourselves.

That's a bit the wrong way round I think. Surely we are more likely to conduct open interviews than West Ham. Klopp leaving is a fact, but Moyes hasn't been sacked yet.

I do agree though that Amorim might be having more than one interview, West Ham were maybe just more prepared to actually bring him over, while other clubs may have just been talking online.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10082 on: April 23, 2024, 08:14:34 am »
The Portuguese journo was adamant the interview wasn't with just WH and the British journos have said Amorim isn't the only manager on the shortlist. So don't rule out Amorim just yet.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10083 on: April 23, 2024, 08:15:30 am »
That tweet that Edwards and Hughes aren't afraid to make an unpopular but brave decision is really worrying.

a) They know the decision will be unpopular
b) They consider the decision to be brave and reading between the lines 'brave' means a gamble

Nothing worrying about it for me. They have infinitely more information than any of us, journalists, pundits combined. They know how to interpret and put data to good use. They have a more intimate understanding of how they see the club evolving and what the new structure will be like in practice - we don't. Every single available option will be a gamble anyway, there is no sure thing in football. Even Klopp was seen as a gamble up to a point, having never managed the club of our size when he took over. Unless they hire someone who is a proven asshole - all the others are very much in the same tier and the selection is best left to those who know more.

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10084 on: April 23, 2024, 08:17:19 am »
That tweet that Edwards and Hughes aren't afraid to make an unpopular but brave decision is really worrying.

a) They know the decision will be unpopular
b) They consider the decision to be brave and reading between the lines 'brave' means a gamble

So Jason Tindall to be first team manager?

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10085 on: April 23, 2024, 08:17:38 am »
The Portuguese journo was adamant the interview wasn't with just WH and the British journos have said Amorim isn't the only manager on the shortlist. So don't rule out Amorim just yet.

The Portuguese journo I believe is chatting wham and using the big Liverpool connection to get views and clicks

Offline Irishred1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10086 on: April 23, 2024, 08:18:10 am »
A lot of these journalists proved during the transfer window that they have as much information as us ie 0.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10087 on: April 23, 2024, 08:18:25 am »
The Portuguese journo I believe is chatting wham and using the big Liverpool connection to get views and clicks

So you think Amorim is no longer a possibility?

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10088 on: April 23, 2024, 08:18:32 am »
Thomas Frank? Please, no.

It does feel a bit Ferguson to Moyes

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10089 on: April 23, 2024, 08:19:18 am »
So you think Amorim is no longer a possibility?

Unlikely yeah
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 08:21:20 am by Stockholm Syndrome »

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10090 on: April 23, 2024, 08:19:49 am »
Gerrard should genuinely be above some of the names here IMO, especially the British ones.

He'd be far behind Emery for example but of the British coaches he's the only one with experience of taking a team expected to compete for a title and win it, unbeaten no less, as well as having a really good record in Europe.

It's not going to be him, just throwing it out there ;D

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10091 on: April 23, 2024, 08:20:19 am »
I really wish Klopp would change his mind but he looks visibly drained. You see it with him sitting down now and his celebrations. Everything is subdued now.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #10092 on: April 23, 2024, 08:20:41 am »
There isn't a manager on the planet who'd stay at Villa if offered the Liverpool job

I don`t particularly want Emery, but I don`t agree with you. A former player managing in an inferior league has is essence taken the view he wants to have a crack at the CL with his current team and has effectively ruled himself out. What makes you think that if Emery finishes top 4 with Villa he wouldn`t take the same view ?
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10093 on: April 23, 2024, 08:21:05 am »
A lot of these journalists proved during the transfer window that they have as much information as us ie 0.

I mean Ornstein was right about most deals - Bellingham not coming months before anyone else, got Szoboszlai news right, was the first to get Endo news I believe.

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #10094 on: April 23, 2024, 08:22:46 am »
What about Andy Hinchcliffe ?

Leeds winning 4-3 and he has said it time and again go over the top to Middlesbrough and they score.

He knows his stuff this guy does he appeals as he has never lost a game as a manager too.
One miserable know-it-all c*nt that prick.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #10095 on: April 23, 2024, 08:23:35 am »
It does feel a bit Ferguson to Moyes

If this going to be the attitude then no one stands a chance. We have to be prepared to get behind whoever gets the job. Also, none of us know how it will go, suppose the person exceeds expectations? Unless you give people a chance who knows what they are capable of?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10096 on: April 23, 2024, 08:25:10 am »
I don`t particularly want Emery, but I don`t agree with you. A former player managing in an inferior league has is essence taken the view he wants to have a crack at the CL with his current team and has effectively ruled himself out. What makes you think that if Emery finishes top 4 with Villa he wouldn`t take the same view ?

Said manager has less experience so wants to learn more, and is young enough that he knows he has an exciting career ahead of him, and likely has his choice of 3 top jobs at some point in his career. He also likely already has a route to arguably to some the biggest job in world football in a year, with Real Madrid.

That is compared to Emery who is older and this could quite possibly be his last chance at a real top job, an opportunity which may completely pass him by and not offered again due to his past falls at Arsenal.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10097 on: April 23, 2024, 08:28:35 am »
If this going to be the attitude then no one stands a chance. We have to be prepared to get behind whoever gets the job. Also, none of us know how it will go, suppose the person exceeds expectations? Unless you give people a chance who knows what they are capable of?

Who says I am not giving him a chance, Christ he's not even the manager yet and may not be. Once anyone comes in they have  a chance. But let's be real here, not many people would be declaring it a great hit of business going from Klopp to Frank, I don't believe he would be anyone's first choice, and not many peoples second choice either

Offline djschembri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10098 on: April 23, 2024, 08:29:20 am »
I dont get how most fans were clamouring for Edwards return, clamouring for a return to the data-driven approach but at the first opportunity of them possibly taking that route to choose the manager, are chomping at the bits.

All we have learnt in the past 24 hours was that Amorim is now not likely anymore. No new name has come up and nothing to indicate the decision that they will take.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10099 on: April 23, 2024, 08:30:10 am »
All sounds quite agent publicly negotiating a huge contract stuff
There’s other options available to our client so get the cash out
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10100 on: April 23, 2024, 08:33:07 am »
I wonder if Edwards and Hughes have looked at the make up of our squad and transitioning to 3-4-3 potentially will require a huge (expensive) turnover of players.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #10101 on: April 23, 2024, 08:36:21 am »
Who says I am not giving him a chance, Christ he's not even the manager yet and may not be. Once anyone comes in they have  a chance. But let's be real here, not many people would be declaring it a great hit of business going from Klopp to Frank, I don't believe he would be anyone's first choice, and not many peoples second choice either

Why do you keep mentioning all these particular people when you don't even know they are on the list? None of us have a clue so discussing the likes of Frank, Howe are a total waste of time anyway.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10102 on: April 23, 2024, 08:36:56 am »
RAWK managerial don’ts:

- Skateboard
- Be bald
- Have spiky hair

Have I missed anything?

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10103 on: April 23, 2024, 08:37:23 am »
I think someone like Hansi Flick would be brave and popular. Not someone who was on the radar but a winner of a CL for Bayern.
One good year in management at the age of 59. Doesn't get me going.

Reckon the next manager is almost definitely going to be below the age of 45. Unfortunately De Zerbi is 44.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10104 on: April 23, 2024, 08:41:07 am »
RAWK managerial don’ts:

- Skateboard
- Be bald
- Have spiky hair

Have I missed anything?

Have Jason Tindall as his assistant.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10105 on: April 23, 2024, 08:41:55 am »
RAWK managerial don’ts:

- Skateboard
- Be bald
- Have spiky hair

Have I missed anything?

Slot is really bald. There is bald and then there is Arno Slot bald.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #10106 on: April 23, 2024, 08:47:24 am »
I mean if we want him and don't get him because of West Ham that's a big problem

I think the briefing is exactly what it is, he isn't our first choice

I think there is also a degree of him being the favorite so people built him as the ideal perfect candidate, and now it isn't him there's very real backlash based on the perception of him we made because we thought he was coming in

Is he not first choice because someone else is though or because we haven't got one yet? That's the thing.

Amorim if nothing else will keep his options open, rather than wait for an offer he might not get.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10107 on: April 23, 2024, 08:48:52 am »
Why do you keep mentioning all these particular people when you don't even know they are on the list? None of us have a clue so discussing the likes of Frank, Howe are a total waste of time anyway.

Frank has been talked about - he has been mentioned a number of times as someone we think very highly of.

If you exclude Alonso, De Zerbi, and Amorim, the list of managers we have actively been linked with/discussed as a possibility are:

Frank
Fonseca
Motta
Roger Schmidt

I think Marco Rose maybe as well but from a not brilliant source

Hoeneß has also been discussed in that he is similar style to us but not really linked

I can either mention and infer from the people mentioned as possibilities from reliable sources, or I can say I know no one can be reliably linked of discredited and it can be literally anyone

With the names mentioned and the comments made, and if you look at the above list, I don't think it's a crazy guess to now think it is Frank.

Howe I haven't mentioned seriously, it won't be him. But he is the exception in that I won't be able to back him as manager, due to his behavior as Newcastle manager, and due to the old boys club concern that would come from Hughes/Edwards/Howe coming together. But I can very confidently say that won't happen

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10108 on: April 23, 2024, 08:49:35 am »
Is he not first choice because someone else is though or because we haven't got one yet? That's the thing.

Amorim if nothing else will keep his options open, rather than wait for an offer he might not get.

I think it is because someone else is. Or at the very least he isn't in the final shortlist

I think him being ruled out either means we have our final shortlist and he is not on it, or we have our primary target and it isn't him

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10109 on: April 23, 2024, 08:56:02 am »
I think it is because someone else is. Or at the very least he isn't in the final shortlist

I think him being ruled out either means we have our final shortlist and he is not on it, or we have our primary target and it isn't him

Ideally, we'd keep it under wraps until the end of the season anyway, or at least while in with a title chance. It's a distraction otherwise. That's why Amorim was partly assumed as he's got his own title race to focus on.

But it's hard to think nothing would be leaked, especially if we have our main target contracted to another club. If there was any contact with Amorim then it was picked up on in Portugal and a lot of noise made of it, until Amorim himself had to shut it down and refuse to comment about his future.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10110 on: April 23, 2024, 08:57:08 am »
I dont get how most fans were clamouring for Edwards return, clamouring for a return to the data-driven approach but at the first opportunity of them possibly taking that route to choose the manager, are chomping at the bits.

All we have learnt in the past 24 hours was that Amorim is now not likely anymore. No new name has come up and nothing to indicate the decision that they will take.

Yep and there is going to be a long list of requirements, I'd imagine top of the list is someone who doesn't want the same level of power Klopp had at the end of his time here, it burnt Klopp out, Klopp is a unicorn you bend the structure for him but I doubt FSG will do that again especially from the off for a new manager.

Offline Sonofthewind

• Main Stander
  • Cheers like
« Reply #10111 on: April 23, 2024, 08:58:39 am »
Everybody’s going to be confused when the rumours of O’Neil start gathering pace only for it it to be Martin not Gary.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #10112 on: April 23, 2024, 08:59:34 am »
Brave and unpopular - Mourinho
Brave and unpopular - O'Neill

Actually, who wouldn't be considered a brave and unpopular appointment

Benitez
Rodgers
Simeone
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Funkster

• Main Stander
« Reply #10113 on: April 23, 2024, 08:59:54 am »
Hopefully this doesn’t go tits up. This time next year the next super thread could be ‘Edwards out’ …
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Bob Paisley

Offline Funkster

• Main Stander
« Reply #10114 on: April 23, 2024, 09:01:37 am »
Where is this Rodger’s link arising from??? Not in a million years of Sundays imo.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Bob Paisley

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10115 on: April 23, 2024, 09:03:30 am »
Where is this Rodger’s link arising from??? Not in a million years of Sundays imo.

No love lost between him and Edwards.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #10116 on: April 23, 2024, 09:07:57 am »
Amorim still my first choice....Pochettino my second - surprised he hasn't been mentioned more? while pipsqueaks like Frank, O'Neil, De Zerbi and Howe have... excellent manager, knows the Premier League, not a knobhead...and I think he'd get us.....his job interview starts tonight....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #10117 on: April 23, 2024, 09:09:24 am »
You'd think someone at the club would sit down with the Captain and Vice and ask them what they think about playing under someone like Frank, De Zebre etc, wonder how many would be out the door if Howe came in

Offline Funkster

• Main Stander
« Reply #10118 on: April 23, 2024, 09:11:13 am »
Amorim still my first choice....Pochettino my second - surprised he hasn't been mentioned more? while pipsqueaks like Frank, O'Neil, De Zerbi and Howe have... excellent manager, knows the Premier League, not a knobhead...and I think he'd get us.....his job interview starts tonight....

Potch has just spent a billion quid and they are still shit ffs.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10119 on: April 23, 2024, 09:13:29 am »
Potch has just spent a billion quid and they are still shit ffs.
he hasnt spend that money in fairness