Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 562373 times)

Offline singerj

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #11360 on: April 24, 2024, 03:46:31 am »
I thought these pieces on Slot's tactics at AZ and Feyenoord were insightful:

https://www.leftbackfootball.com/home/2020/3/28/arne-slots-industrious-az-alkmaar

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/arne-slot-feyenoord-az-alkmaar-tactics/

Reading the first one, it clicked that Koopmeiners was key for his AZ side. Reunion on the cards?

Offline QC

• rawks Lionel Hutz, ambulance chaser.Sucks up to the wrong type of Mod.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11361 on: April 24, 2024, 04:43:06 am »
Just hope the players are convinced - as some have mentioned, we need Trent to sign a new contract

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11362 on: April 24, 2024, 04:51:33 am »
A piece from Jason Burt.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/04/13/arne-slot-feyenoord-manager-shoestring-premier-league/

Some high demands will be put on the players off the ball. I sense Gakpo might get more game time under him. Man to man marking from the front so the likes of Diaz and Nunez will need to step up. Not sure Salah has it in him to press like he did. Might have to consider a Saudi bid if it were to come.

I do have to say out of the two riskier punts from the weaker leagues, Slot is the better option compared to Amorim.

Not sure why anyone who took a liking to Amorim would then be against Slot. The only reason i can conclude is that Amorim comes across as the sexier option. 30-something, the captivating name, the slick hair and being Portugese.

They have pretty similar CVs. In fact what Slot has on his side is that he has shown overperformance at Alkmaar too. I know Amorim started off well at Braga but it wasn't a large enough sample. He left after a short while.

Amorim's methodology also did not sound fit for the PL at all and I found it hard to believe we would have battled with City and Arsenal under him.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 06:12:30 am by Andar »

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11363 on: April 24, 2024, 04:51:38 am »
Just hope the players are convinced - as some have mentioned, we need Trent to sign a new contract
With an unknown manager?  LOL
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline collytum

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11364 on: April 24, 2024, 05:21:49 am »
Hardly an inspiring proposition to be honest but the other options aren't much better. Alonso would have been good but I think he has made the right choice as following on from klopp is a next to impossible job.

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11365 on: April 24, 2024, 05:28:13 am »

Who is available, and the right fit, that would "convince the players" ?

Offline DLF

• Justified and Ancient
  • Main Stander
« Reply #11366 on: April 24, 2024, 05:44:29 am »
stick to lacrosse
Lacrosse, a violent game of simulated warfare used to settle tribal disputes and toughen up young warriors.  Instead of RAWK?  Sound advice.
The secret is that our Liverpool team never know when to stop running and working. At Anfield we have always believed in players supporting each other and concentrating on not giving the ball away. You can't go charging forward all the time, willy-nilly. You must have patience.

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11367 on: April 24, 2024, 06:04:32 am »
Feyenoord 6-0 Ajax
https://youtu.be/PEQYiGLWvC0?si=NK9IqT8NVDs6PFdv

Fair to say they are a style match to us. Some intense pressing paying off. Type of performance you would see at Anfield against the big 6. Some atmosphere too. Feyenoord fans are impressive. Cut from the same cloth as us.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #11368 on: April 24, 2024, 06:21:56 am »
Hardly an inspiring proposition to be honest but the other options aren't much better. Alonso would have been good but I think he has made the right choice as following on from klopp is a next to impossible job.

How do you know this? You don't know that Alonso would have been any better, as nobody knows what he's going to be like in the Premier League. Can we stop going on about it being a given he'd have done well for us, when the truth is he too would have been a risk.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #11369 on: April 24, 2024, 06:26:15 am »
There are only two things I can't stand in this world: People who are intolerant of other people's cultures, and the Dutch.
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11370 on: April 24, 2024, 06:30:58 am »
Mad thing is, some daft sods genuinely seem to be serious about his appearance being an issue and are embarrassed Liverpool are going for a bald coach, guess it spoils a lot of the lolz at ten Hag :lmao 

For the record, any comments I’ve made in this thread about anyone’s appearance are entirely non-serious. They were more in the spirit of taking the piss out of the level of discussion here than anything else.

I’m genuinely excited to see what Slot can do. Of course he’s a risk, of course he’s a step down from Klopp, but there is no other Klopp out there, that’s the situation we find ourselves in. On paper he looks at least as good as any other candidate who is available to us. And quite likely better than at least 18 other managers in the PL. We’ll see!

In the meantime, I’m making the most of the little time we have left with Klopp.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 06:46:45 am by smutchin »

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11371 on: April 24, 2024, 06:40:34 am »
With an unknown manager?  LOL

People who call Slot (or Amorim for that matter) “unknown” are only highlighting their own ignorance. He clearly has a great reputation across Europe.

The players will be well aware of him, you can be sure of that. Of course we can’t guarantee they’ll want to play for him. Winning them over is going to be his first job and it’s a massive one, but let’s not prejudge it because we just don’t know.

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11372 on: April 24, 2024, 06:43:48 am »
I can’t really imagine Europe’s top players telling their agents they need to move to Liverpool to play for Arnie Slot. I think we could be in for some tough times , the transfer thread is going to be fun.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11373 on: April 24, 2024, 06:55:01 am »
Not sure how true it is, or how he knows, but a mate that doesn’t normally get involved with rumours and shite reckons hes been told Amorim is staying where he is.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #11374 on: April 24, 2024, 06:55:04 am »
Their rivals Ajax got within a whisker of a CL final, and would have given us a much bigger scare than an impotent Spurs.
They have about a quarter of Ajax’s budget and their best player earns about £20k per week. For context
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #11375 on: April 24, 2024, 06:56:04 am »
I can’t really imagine Europe’s top players telling their agents they need to move to Liverpool to play for Arnie Slot. I think we could be in for some tough times , the transfer thread is going to be fun.

I think who the manager is  probably dictates some players choice of club in part. I’d imagine there are loads of other factors too:

How a manager wants to utilise a player

Wages and contract length

Location of club (country and city)

Size and prestige of the club

Other players at the club

Whether the club is in CL

Family/partner preference for where they want to live

Who the manager is plays a role but I suspect wages, ability to compete, role in the team and location are at least 4 other factors that are equally as important in most cases. I wouldn’t envision it’ll make that much difference to attracting the types of players we go after.

Equally think the existing players won’t be up in arms about the proposed appointment. Senior players are likely to have been consulted. Some/all of the them will know who Slot is. Also a manager coming in who plays a similar style to Klopp will alleviate some concerns/fears.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11376 on: April 24, 2024, 07:01:07 am »
Who the manager is plays a role but I suspect wages, ability to compete, role in the team and location are at least 4 other factors that are equally as important in most cases. I wouldn’t envision it’ll make that much difference to attracting the types of players we go after.

Case in point: apparently Caicedo wanted to play for Poch rather than Klopp. Go figure.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11377 on: April 24, 2024, 07:01:31 am »
Feyenoord 6-0 Ajax
https://youtu.be/PEQYiGLWvC0?si=NK9IqT8NVDs6PFdv

Fair to say they are a style match to us. Some intense pressing paying off. Type of performance you would see at Anfield against the big 6. Some atmosphere too. Feyenoord fans are impressive. Cut from the same cloth as us.

Missed plenty of sitters, will feel like home to him.

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11378 on: April 24, 2024, 07:09:00 am »
I can’t really imagine Europe’s top players telling their agents they need to move to Liverpool to play for Arnie Slot. I think we could be in for some tough times, the transfer thread is going to be fun.
Was the pull of playing under Eddie Howe the reason why Isak and Guimares [sp?] ended up at Newcastle?

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #11379 on: April 24, 2024, 07:13:27 am »
Arne is dedicated to the job and works ridiculously long hours. You could say he is a

Slot machine

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11380 on: April 24, 2024, 07:17:23 am »
The 6 ultras should be happy, Slot would want an elite 6 dictating the game who could run, pass and press all day.

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11381 on: April 24, 2024, 07:20:01 am »
Was the pull of playing under Eddie Howe the reason why Isak and Guimares [sp?] ended up at Newcastle?
No, that would’ve been the Saudi billions.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #11382 on: April 24, 2024, 07:21:27 am »
Going with Arne Slot does stick to some key principles that are important when hiring a manager:

1. Hire someone with experience at the job in hand (battling relegation or managing in mid table is vastly different from competing for honours and at the top of the table, whilst in Europe).
2. Hire someone with recent success (historic performances count for much less as ability wains over time)
3. Hire someone based on club performance (international performance does not translate)
4. Consider personality (hiring someone who will alienate players or create a toxic dressing room can have long term detrimental effects)
5. Have weighting towards a positive playing style (players and supporters look more favourably on attacking sides)
6. Don’t consider a manager’s playing career, especially for former players or club legends as this is emotive and distorts opinion
7. Don’t hire an interim manager
8. Consider context (success at a leagues dominant club is less impressive than with an underdog, particularly when this matches the context of the hiring club)

In Arne Slot, there’s someone who recently won a domestic title with a financial and historic underdog with a positive playing and management style. He fits the bill, even if he’s not a big name. You’d prefer he’d done it in a higher rated league, but there’s a very small pool of managers who have, whilst fitting the other criteria too.

In the last 10 years how many ‘financial underdogs’ have won a league title. With that criteria you’re probably looking at a list of managers of Klopp, Raneiri, Simeone, Alonso, Galtier,  Jardim, Spalletti, Amorim, Van Bronkhorst, Slot.

Out of those realistic options, who fit within the criteria we’d set out probably only include Alonso, Amorim and Slot. Alonso has so few games as manager (less than our 175 games we use as a broad criteria when considering players), but his achievement is obviously special, so I do wonder how they analysed him, especially given, he’d only have been part of a season to this year when our analytics started.

Out of Slot and Amorim, Slot is in the higher rated league (6th vs 7th in UEFA coefficient), has the better European record and has the more compatible style. If people were excited by Amorim they should be excited by Slot.

Of course other managers could be considered but Slot absolutely seems a logical choice.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11383 on: April 24, 2024, 07:22:54 am »
The 6 ultras should be happy, Slot would want an elite 6 dictating the game who could run, pass and press all day.

Yep. Reading up on him he builds play through a double pivot. I wonder if Trent final gets his chance in the midfield alongside Mac as the shield and creators from deep.

Online PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11384 on: April 24, 2024, 07:24:47 am »
A piece from Jason Burt.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/04/13/arne-slot-feyenoord-manager-shoestring-premier-league/

Some high demands will be put on the players off the ball. I sense Gakpo might get more game time under him. Man to man marking from the front so the likes of Diaz and Nunez will need to step up. Not sure Salah has it in him to press like he did. Might have to consider a Saudi bid if it were to come.

I do have to say out of the two riskier punts from the weaker leagues, Slot is the better option compared to Amorim.

Not sure why anyone who took a liking to Amorim would then be against Slot. The only reason i can conclude is that Amorim comes across as the sexier option. 30-something, the captivating name, the slick hair and being Portugese.

They have pretty similar CVs. In fact what Slot has on his side is that he has shown overperformance at Alkmaar too. I know Amorim started off well at Braga but it wasn't a large enough sample. He left after a short while.

Amorim's methodology also did not sound fit for the PL at all and I found it hard to believe we would have battled with City and Arsenal under him.

You find it hard to believe he would battle with City and Arsenal but you think Slot can? Slot doesn't have a better CV than Amorim. Amorim has shown its him and not his players by winning again after losing so many of them. There isn't much between them but their respective leagues.

Slot is our guy and he can do it but we don't need to diminish Amorim to make ourselves feel better. He'd have been an excellent candidate too.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11385 on: April 24, 2024, 07:27:21 am »
What's clear is Edwards doesn't want to rip up the style of play that runs from the academy to the first team and has been used for nearly a decade. Edwards also want want a high turnover of players needed to implement a new playing style or formation (like 3 at the back). For a 3-4-3 formation our squad is unbalanced.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11386 on: April 24, 2024, 07:27:27 am »
Yep. Reading up on him he builds play through a double pivot. I wonder if Trent final gets his chance in the midfield alongside Mac as the shield and creators from deep.

Yes I’d imagine a new manager will build around Trent in midfield. You really do have to get Trent and Bradley on the pitch together next season.

The more I think about it, bringing in a manager who plays a very similar style means our transfer plans from last summer with Klopp involved will continue pretty much the same, we’d want the same positions and types of players.

Offline crewlove

• Main Stander
« Reply #11387 on: April 24, 2024, 07:30:28 am »
Don't remember right now how many players or managers left Portugal for any other big league, but the lets say success rate of players and even more managers leaving Netherlands isn't looking especially good.

Koeman, Bosz, De Boer, Cocu, ETH, Van Bronckhorst, all haven't done a particularly good job if I am not mistaken.

Generally it sounds good on paper, only that pressing part worries me a little bit. I think we've moved away from constant pressing thing and this is something we tried in Klopp's first years. Even looking health-wise, probably last thing our players need is another highly physically demanding season. And personally I've also hoped for refreshment and something new in that department.

But it also would be difficult to move to 3ATB with the squad we have. We'll see I guess.

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11388 on: April 24, 2024, 07:30:37 am »
No, that would’ve been the Saudi billions.
Oh, so there are other factors beyond whether you rate the manager that affect player transfers. Thank you.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11389 on: April 24, 2024, 07:33:10 am »
After reading up on him and Feyenoord, I'm all for it. Apart from all the tactical, performance and style details, he seems like a manager who inspires his players to put everything into every game.

Some of the chat from our fans has been embarrassing really. Entitled bedwetting nonsense we usually associate with United or City fans. Maybe that was all projection.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11390 on: April 24, 2024, 07:35:05 am »
Oh, so there are other factors beyond whether you rate the manager that affect player transfers. Thank you.

We don't have billions btw   :D

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11391 on: April 24, 2024, 07:35:08 am »
Going with Arne Slot does stick to some key principles that are important when hiring a manager:

1. Hire someone with experience at the job in hand (battling relegation or managing in mid table is vastly different from competing for honours and at the top of the table, whilst in Europe).
2. Hire someone with recent success (historic performances count for much less as ability wains over time)
3. Hire someone based on club performance (international performance does not translate)
4. Consider personality (hiring someone who will alienate players or create a toxic dressing room can have long term detrimental effects)
5. Have weighting towards a positive playing style (players and supporters look more favourably on attacking sides)
6. Don’t consider a manager’s playing career, especially for former players or club legends as this is emotive and distorts opinion
7. Don’t hire an interim manager
8. Consider context (success at a leagues dominant club is less impressive than with an underdog, particularly when this matches the context of the hiring club)

In Arne Slot, there’s someone who recently won a domestic title with a financial and historic underdog with a positive playing and management style. He fits the bill, even if he’s not a big name. You’d prefer he’d done it in a higher rated league, but there’s a very small pool of managers who have, whilst fitting the other criteria too.

In the last 10 years how many ‘financial underdogs’ have won a league title. With that criteria you’re probably looking at a list of managers of Klopp, Raneiri, Simeone, Alonso, Galtier,  Jardim, Spalletti, Amorim, Van Bronkhorst, Slot.

Out of those realistic options, who fit within the criteria we’d set out probably only include Alonso, Amorim and Slot. Alonso has so few games as manager (less than our 175 games we use as a broad criteria when considering players), but his achievement is obviously special, so I do wonder how they analysed him, especially given, he’d only have been part of a season to this year when our analytics started.

Out of Slot and Amorim, Slot is in the higher rated league (6th vs 7th in UEFA coefficient), has the better European record and has the more compatible style. If people were excited by Amorim they should be excited by Slot.

Of course other managers could be considered but Slot absolutely seems a logical choice.
Thanks for that, good post.
Just can’t help feeling underwhelmed, I thought we would go for a proven manager to build on what Klopp has done. He will obviously be given a chance by the fans but the bit about doing it at a financially challenged club makes me worry that FSG want someone who is fine with not buying players to strengthen.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11392 on: April 24, 2024, 07:35:50 am »
This edit someone did at LFC Reddit. :D

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/s/iDrDil0izi
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11393 on: April 24, 2024, 07:37:04 am »
Don't remember right now how many players or managers left Portugal for any other big league, but the lets say success rate of players and even more managers leaving Netherlands isn't looking especially good.

Koeman, Bosz, De Boer, Cocu, ETH, Van Bronckhorst, all haven't done a particularly good job if I am not mistaken.

Generally it sounds good on paper, only that pressing part worries me a little bit. I think we've moved away from constant pressing thing and this is something we tried in Klopp's first years. Even looking health-wise, probably last thing our players need is another highly physically demanding season. And personally I've also hoped for refreshment and something new in that department.

But it also would be difficult to move to 3ATB with the squad we have. We'll see I guess.

What have they got to do with Slot other than being from the same country? It's not a relevant attribute of a person or coach. It would be like cherrypicking all the German coaches that have failed and saying Klopp must be a failure too.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11394 on: April 24, 2024, 07:39:42 am »

Nor does any club except those being sportswashed or loaded with unsustainable debt.

Offline crewlove

• Main Stander
« Reply #11395 on: April 24, 2024, 07:44:08 am »
I'm simply looking at managers who recently (or little less recently) moved away from the Eredivisie and tried their luck elsewhere. And the success rate isn't great. Is it an indicator for Slot? Not really, but one way you're gonna look at it is to compare with other managers from the same league.

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11396 on: April 24, 2024, 07:46:29 am »
We do have one of the highest wage bills in the sport. And and an iconic stadium, the chance to play in front of fans famed for getting behind their team (arf), in a city world-renowned for it's football culture.

We also have the good fortune to have a current manager who resigned rather than get sacked, a squad that's been assembled by a best in class recruitment team, that's fighting for the title and train in world class facilities.

But, just like the transfer forum, we have posters who would have snide digs at a manager who hasn't even signed because he's not their choice.

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11397 on: April 24, 2024, 07:47:57 am »
Nor does any club except those being sportswashed or loaded with unsustainable debt.

I think secretly there is a small but noisey section of this forum who would like us to be a sportswashing project with unlimited wealth.

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11398 on: April 24, 2024, 07:49:04 am »
Something I find funny but I am slightly weird, people talk about the Dutch league like it's a second rate one to criticise Slot, yet our own Pep failed there with NEC and there are calls for him to step up..

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #11399 on: April 24, 2024, 07:51:34 am »
I'm simply looking at managers who recently (or little less recently) moved away from the Eredivisie and tried their luck elsewhere. And the success rate isn't great. Is it an indicator for Slot? Not really, but one way you're gonna look at it is to compare with other managers from the same league.

It does depend a lot on the nature of the tactics.

One of the interesting postmortems of Ten Hag at Manchester United was that his tactics are too open - playing a sole pivot, pushing his fullbacks up to overload, a brand of possession football relying on transitions and pressing, with a sweeper keeper keeping a high line at the back. It worked in the Eredivisie because the quality of opposition he would face were not physical, not athletic, not mobile enough to take advantage of the gaps that such a tactic leaves behind.

Ten Hag has brought that same tactical setup to Manchester United and the BPL and this has resulted in Manchester United conceding, on a per-game basis, the highest or close to joint highest number of shots on goal in the league. Teams in this league are fitter, more tactically savvy, and are far quicker to exploit the gaps left behind by fullbacks pushing up with a sole pivot as a creative destroyer type 6. It's far too open, and teams have figured it out and are exploiting it accordingly. This is Ten Hag being stubborn but Manchester United are one of if not the most porous team in the BPL as things stand.

The good thing for the Slotter is that he will have seen first-hand how such tactics translate, and he has a recent cautionary tale to guard against this.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.