Author Topic: The Kingdom Untied - Pfeffel the Liar is STILL PM of these Sceptered Isles  (Read 141643 times)

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Kingdom Untied - Pfeffel the Liar is STILL PM of these Sceptered Isles
« Reply #2600 on: August 23, 2019, 11:36:46 pm »
Not sure if anyone noticed it and meant to mention it a few days ago but you can see where Johnsons going when it comes to laying the blame on the EU for the shi,,,storm that will follow a no deal.  during the press conference with Merkel,  Johnson said we have already got a lot of problems solved like aviation etc. all those solutions are in the WA and he knows it. the WA as we know are the terms for leaving the EU, no WA and all those solutions do not get implemented. if we do have a no deal expect Johnson to scream the EU are not honouring what we both agreed.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2601 on: August 24, 2019, 12:09:17 am »
Not sure if anyone noticed it and meant to mention it a few days ago but you can see where Johnsons going when it comes to laying the blame on the EU for the shi,,,storm that will follow a no deal.  during the press conference with Merkel,  Johnson said we have already got a lot of problems solved like aviation etc. all those solutions are in the WA and he knows it. the WA as we know are the terms for leaving the EU, no WA and all those solutions do not get implemented. if we do have a no deal expect Johnson to scream the EU are not honouring what we both agreed.

Except if there's a no deal than there's no agreement to honour.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2602 on: August 24, 2019, 12:18:22 am »
Yeah, everyone who understands will know what you say is true but leave MPs,voters want to lay the blame on anyone but themselves. Johnson screams we solved these problems, why are the EU punishing us by reneging on these solutions and leave voters scream it's all the EUs fault.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2603 on: August 24, 2019, 09:50:13 am »
Yeah, everyone who understands will know what you say is true but leave MPs,voters want to lay the blame on anyone but themselves. Johnson screams we solved these problems, why are the EU punishing us by reneging on these solutions and leave voters scream it's all the EUs fault.

Well you can tell every one of those voters you meet to fuck off and have fun with their hardship.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2604 on: August 24, 2019, 10:42:57 am »
I don’t agree.

No deal is just no deal yet.

There has to be a deal or agreement with the EU over trade.  When the time comes to do that these issues won’t just disappear
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #2605 on: August 24, 2019, 01:14:11 pm »
Seriously makes the bile rise every time I see Boris Johnsons shuffling, 'self deprecating' walk and that coy little hand wave that he does.

The frauds' own body betrays his general untrustworthiness, the fucking liar.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2606 on: August 24, 2019, 03:23:32 pm »
Tomorrow I meet PM @BorisJohnson. I hope that he will not like to go down in history as “Mr. No Deal”. The EU is ready to listen to operational, realistic ideas acceptable to all Member States including Ireland, if and when the UK government is ready to put them on the table.

https://twitter.com/eucopresident/status/1165228950341214208

NEW: Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson says EU will be to blame for no-deal Brexit if it fails to axe NIrish backstop.
"I’ve made it absolutely clear I don’t want a no-deal Brexit but I say to our friends in the EU if they don’t want a no-deal Brexit then they’ve got to get rid of the backstop. ..

"If Donald Tusk doesn’t want to go down as Mr No-Deal Brexit, I hope that point will be borne in mind by him too.”

Johnson words [on plane to us hacks on trip to Biarritz] a direct rebuttal to @eucopresident warning earlier today that the PM could go down in history as 'Mister No-Deal'

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1165245490495217666

If you've got "alternative" ideas to the backstop, the backstop doesn't need to be removed as it says it only comes into force unless and until the UK proves it has workable alternatives.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2607 on: August 24, 2019, 03:42:37 pm »
Quite ironic ....

Britain pissed around with Ireland for centuries...

Now Ireland  can piss around with Britain (although quite rightly in this case).

That’s the power of partnerships eh?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #2608 on: August 24, 2019, 09:36:58 pm »
So many leaks from this government already. It's almost as if a case was being made for certain Tory MPs to have to act as soon as they get back.

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson has asked the attorney general, Geoffrey Cox, whether parliament can be shut down for five weeks from 9 September in what appears to be a concerted plan to stop MPs forcing a further extension to Brexit, according to leaked government correspondence.

An email from senior government advisers to an adviser in No 10 – written within the last 10 days and seen by the Observer – makes clear that the prime minister has recently requested guidance on the legality of such a move, known as prorogation. The initial legal guidance given in the email is that shutting parliament may well be possible, unless action being taken in the courts to block such a move by anti-Brexit campaigners succeeds in the meantime.

...The email shows that the feasibility of a five-week parliamentary shutdown is under active consideration, from soon after the date on which parliament returns on 3 September, until the eve of the last EU summit before Brexit, on 17 and 18 October, when it will be too late for MPs to block no deal. The revelation will also anger EU leaders as Johnson makes his international summit debut at the G7 in Biarritz this weekend.

...The leaked email will fuel speculation that Johnson is prepared to make the delivery of a “deal or no deal” Brexit an issue of parliament versus the people. The email examines whether the prime minister could thwart MPs’ plans by shutting parliament until a Queen’s speech would herald a new parliament on 14 October.

A government source said there was a definite and clear plan to prorogue parliament being hatched by Johnson’s closest advisers.

In particular the memo examines whether Johnson could circumvent a previous amendment, championed by Grieve, that was inserted into a bill relating to the Northern Ireland Assembly earlier this summer. It requires ministers to report regularly to parliament on progress in restoring the Stormont Assembly. The email suggests the Grieve amendment does not necessarily prevent the prime minister activating the prorogation plan.

...A government source did not deny that legal advice had been sought. They added: “As a matter of routine, No 10 officials ask for legal and policy advice every day.”

Grauniad
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2609 on: August 24, 2019, 11:25:23 pm »
The very idea that the government achieves its political objectives by preventing Parliament from sitting is completely contrary to the democratic process. If Brexit is achieved through such an act, the fallout will be enormous. And these people go on about the fallout from a second referendum not going their way. Jesus H Christ.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #2610 on: August 24, 2019, 11:27:12 pm »
Paul Brand
‏Verified account @PaulBrandITV

Poll out tonight by @OpiniumResearch finds that when it comes to the impact of a No Deal Brexit on Britain:

✅37% believe it’d be positive

❌35% believe it’d be negative

...Britain just as split as ever then.
12:38 PM - 24 Aug 2019

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1165347773178425346

Huge sections of this country are beyond help.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2611 on: August 24, 2019, 11:39:35 pm »
Paul Brand

Poll out tonight by @OpiniumResearch finds that when it comes to the impact of a No Deal Brexit on Britain:

We need to rebrand it as a, 'no trading arrangements with the whole world Brexit'. Granted, it does not roll off the tongue. How about, a 'no-plan Brexit'.
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2612 on: August 25, 2019, 12:42:37 am »
We need to rebrand it as a, 'no trading arrangements with the whole world Brexit'. Granted, it does not roll off the tongue. How about, a 'no-plan Brexit'.
I think it's far more serious than just trade, leave voters think were leaving the EU so we can trade more with the rest of the world anyway so I doubt a No trading arrangement will bother them.
We are severing all our cooperation arrangements that made the country function if we have a no deal, we will not be able to jump on a plane into Europe so easily. same with our exports, only a fraction of our lorries will be able to export UK goods, the EU have worked this out to a tee, our politicians are in the 4th division compared to the EU negotiators, the no deal brexit won't get better in time, we may well bring in plans to reduce the damage after a few months only for people to learn the EU chops far more after a year.
This is more like Grind to a halt UK Brexit for me.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 12:45:48 am by oldfordie »
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2613 on: August 25, 2019, 12:50:44 am »
Well, how about a, 'let's-get-totally-fucked-up Brexit'?

I have to agree with some commenters that some of the accepted language used around Brexit has not helped. To many Brexit supporters, being called 'Brexiteers' sounds heroic. Even 'No-Deal Brexit' is seen as being resolute or something.

For the past couple of years I thought No-Deal was rather likely, but I retained hope. My hope reserves are now just about depleted. The lunatics seem as determined as ever, and the opposition are worn out and not very cohesive.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2614 on: August 25, 2019, 09:52:11 am »
Paul Brand

One thing that has been pretty constant these past three years is that in or around 35% are nutcase stupid headbangers. There is no changing them, be it Brexit, climate change, death penalty etc.

That survey implies 28% of "don't know"'s. They are the "swing" voters. Given what has happened over the past three years that is a damningly high percentage, and is why I've been one of the pessimistic voices on here about the result of a second referendum.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #2615 on: August 25, 2019, 10:39:40 am »
https://twitter.com/eucopresident/status/1165228950341214208

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1165245490495217666

If you've got "alternative" ideas to the backstop, the backstop doesn't need to be removed as it says it only comes into force unless and until the UK proves it has workable alternatives.

I find it hard to believe that someone as honest and trustworthy as Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson could be lying about this.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #2616 on: August 25, 2019, 10:46:39 am »

I thought about no-plan as well but ‘no-idea’ Brexit gets my vote. It sums up the No-deal position in a nutshell.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2617 on: August 25, 2019, 12:11:55 pm »
G7 Update.

kath  🙀 ❄️ 🇪🇺 💚
@KathyBurke

Tie called in global c*nt pointing competition.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2618 on: August 25, 2019, 04:46:38 pm »
BREAKING: Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson will tell Trump that Britain will only pay £7-10bn if there is a no deal Brexit

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1165366044078333952

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2619 on: August 25, 2019, 05:38:46 pm »
BREAKING: Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson will tell Trump that Britain will only pay £7-10bn if there is a no deal Brexit
I read that as: Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson will tell Trump that Britain will only pay £7.00-10,000,000,000 if there is a no deal Brexit (and probably at the lower end of the estimate). ::)

I've long expected that No-Deal means no money for the EU (or, way below what is due). The EU will retaliate - no relief until the money is paid up.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-britain-ratings-brexit/legal-hazards-but-no-default-seen-if-britain-doesnt-pay-brexit-bill-idUKKCN1TB1BI

https://www.politico.eu/article/not-paying-brexit-bill-would-jeopardize-u-k-s-credit-rating-eu-budget-commissioner/

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2620 on: August 25, 2019, 06:44:21 pm »
There was a piece I read yesterday or the day before about a speech given by the head of C4 news talking about the fact that politicians are no longer called out for what they are - liars.

All kinds of euphemisms are used in the media to skirt around the issue, but no one will call a liar a liar anymore.

.@channel4news' interview with @borisjohnson at #G7Biarritz cancelled, despite team being told to travel to summit for interview.

Decision by @10DowningStreet was made following criticism from Dorothy Byrne that Mr Johnson limits access to media like Putin.

.@10DowningStreet's reasons for the cancellation have varied. One senior advisor said the interview was scrapped because of Dorothy Byrne's recent speech.

Mr Johnson told @itvnews' @Peston it was because he didn't have time.

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1165632596186939394

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2621 on: August 25, 2019, 06:46:33 pm »
It would be good if he gives the same treatment to some of the bigger media outlets (i.e. BBC, ITV, Sky News) so all their years of "ooh, isn't Boris a character?!" come home to roost.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2622 on: August 25, 2019, 07:13:52 pm »
G7 Update.

kath  🙀 ❄️ 🇪🇺 💚
@KathyBurke

Tie called in global c*nt pointing competition.

a new spiderman meme there

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2623 on: August 25, 2019, 09:44:51 pm »
https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1165632596186939394

So let me get this straight: Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson cancels an interview after receiving criticism over media access? 

Soo... his response to accusations of restricting media access is to restrict media access?

Popcorn's Art

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2624 on: August 26, 2019, 01:25:43 pm »
Your old chum "Boris" has shafted you? Oh dear.

TV licence: Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson says BBC must 'cough up' for over-75s

The BBC should "cough up" and pay for TV licences for all over-75s, the prime minister has said.

It comes after the BBC announced in June that it would restrict the benefit to those in low-income households.

Speaking to reporters at the G7 summit, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson said the BBC's funding settlement had been conditional on it continuing to fund the free licences - something the corporation disputes.

Labour accused the PM of blaming the broadcaster for government policy.

The BBC previously said it would limit free licences to low-income households to prevent it having to close services such as BBC Two and Radio 5 Live.

Continuing to fund the free licences would have cost £745m - a fifth of its budget - by 2021-22, the corporation said.

The decision, meaning around 3.7 million people aged over 75 will have to pay £154.50 for a colour TV licence from next June, sparked protests outside BBC studios.

Mr Johnson told reporters at the summit in Biarritz, southern France: "The BBC received a settlement that was conditional upon their paying for TV licences for the over-75s.

"They should cough up."

People aged over 75 were granted free TV licences when Labour was in power, in 2000. Maintaining it was a Conservative manifesto pledge in 2017.

However, the charter agreement hammered out with Conservative ministers in 2015 saw the BBC assume responsibility for funding the commitment from 2020.

A BBC spokeswoman said: "It was the government which decided to stop funding free TV licences for the over-75s, and Parliament gave responsibility to the BBC to make a decision on the future of the scheme.

"There was no guarantee that the BBC would continue to fund free licences for the over-75s."

In June, the culture secretary at the time the settlement was reached, John Whittingdale, said "it was understood that this would be a possible outcome".

In the same month, the BBC insisted that cutting stars' salaries would not save enough money to pay for over-75s' licences.

"Even if we stopped employing every presenter earning more than £150,000, that would save less than £20m," said director of policy Clare Sumner.

"If no senior manager were paid over £150,000 that would save only £5m."

Limiting the scheme to households where one person receives pension credit is expected to cost the BBC around £250 million by 2021-22.

However, a No 10 source said BBC income had been boosted by requiring iPlayer users to have a licence and linking licence fee increases to inflation.

"At the time, the director general said it was a 'strong deal for the BBC' and provided 'financial stability'," the source said, adding: "The BBC must honour this agreement."

Labour deputy leader Tom Watson called on the government to stop "passing the buck".

"This prime minister's disregard for older people is appalling," he said.

"Because of this government's refusal to fund the concession, millions of older people will have their free TV licences scrapped next year."

And Labour MP Ben Bradshaw - a former BBC journalist - said: "The BBC is an independent broadcaster. It's not a branch of the Department of Work and Pensions.

"This was always going to happen - the BBC was stupid to accept this as part of the licence fee [settlement] but it certainly wasn't a condition of it.

"And if the government wants over-75s to continue to receive free licences it needs to fund it."

Some 634,334 people have signed a petition organised by charity Age UK, which is calling on the government to take back responsibility for funding the free licences and honour the 2017 manifesto commitment.

Age UK director Caroline Abrahams said: "The BBC and the government clearly are in different places on this and it is old people who are in the middle - which we are very uncomfortable about.

"The government created this situation by passing responsibility for the licence fee to the BBC at the last settlement without giving them all the money to pay for it.

"Whether the BBC is quite as skint as it is telling everybody I can't possibly say, I'm not a media commentator.

"It would be sensible for the two parties to come together and draw a line and try to stop this escalating row."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49469337

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2625 on: August 26, 2019, 01:31:22 pm »
Another lie but hey, he said "wiff waff" once so he's funny and cool and a good PM.

Melton Mowbray pork pie makers and No 10 clash over Johnson claim

The humble Melton Mowbray pork pie is at the centre of an unlikely political dispute about British exports.

Prime Minister Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson had said the pork pies are exported to Thailand and Iceland, but not the US.

But the Melton Mowbray Pork Pie Association said they were not exported to those countries as far as it knew.

Downing Street said pie producer Walker & Sons exported pies to numerous countries - but Walker & Sons told the BBC that was not correct.

The company said it used to export a "tiny amount" of pork pies to Singapore, but had not done so for "at least two years" and is now "entirely focused on the UK market".

When asked if the company had ever exported to any other countries, the spokeswoman said she was unsure.

The topic of pork pies arose on Sunday at the G7 summit in Biarritz, France, when Mr Johnson was discussing a possible post-Brexit free trade deal with the US.

Mr Johnson spoke about trying to "prise open the American market" by removing restrictions on UK exports.

Offering an example of an American trade restriction, Mr Johnson said: "Melton Mowbray pork pies, which are sold in Thailand and in Iceland, are currently unable to enter the US market because of, I don't know, some sort of food and drug administration restriction."

Matthew O'Callaghan - who chairs the Melton Mowbray Pork Pie Association, which represents the pies' makers - told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that, as far as he knew, the claim was wrong.

Asked if Mr Johnson was right, Mr O'Callaghan replied: "Not really. With all of these things there is a little bit of give and take. We don't actually export to Thailand or Iceland."

When pressed again, Mr O'Callaghan said: "Not that I know of I'm afraid.

"It is certainly available in Iceland the shop."

Mr O'Callaghan said there was a possibility that pies could be exported frozen to the US or Australia and cooked in the country.

In response to Mr O'Callaghan, No 10 said the PM was correct when he said that Melton Mowbray pork pies are exported to Thailand and Iceland.

His remarks, it added, were based on a briefing note from the Department for International Trade, which said the company Walker & Sons exports small shipments to Iceland, Thailand, Singapore and the Caribbean.

However, when contacted by the BBC, Walker & Sons said it no longer exports pork pies.

"We are entirely focused on the UK market," a spokeswoman said.

The company said it used to export a "tiny amount" to Singapore - but had not done so "for some time".

When pressed, a spokeswoman said none had been exported for "at least two years".

She said those that were exported had to be sent out frozen and then baked on arrival. 

Melton Mowbray pork pies are distinctive as they are made from uncured pork, to ensure the inside is grey in colour.

The Melton Mowbray pork pie has special protected geographical status under EU rules, meaning that only producers making pork pies using the traditional recipe and in the vicinity of Melton Mowbray can use the town's name.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49470831

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2626 on: August 26, 2019, 01:43:08 pm »
Another lie but hey, he said "wiff waff" once so he's funny and cool and a good PM.

Lies don't matter anymore.  The majority of the public couldn't care less.  Where have you been for the past three years  ;)

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #2627 on: August 26, 2019, 03:12:31 pm »
Is that seriously where they're going with the Brexit benefits argument? Being able to send pork pies to El Paso?
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2628 on: August 26, 2019, 03:48:31 pm »

Britain must settle €43bn EU divorce bill even after no-deal Brexit - says EU

The European Union expects Britain to honour all its financial obligations made during its membership of the bloc even after a no-deal Brexit, a spokeswoman for the executive European Commission said on Monday.

The statement came after British Prime Minister Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson said that if Britain leaves without a deal, it will no longer legally owe the 39 billion pound (€42.94bn) divorce bill agreed by his predecessor.

"All commitments that were taken by the 28 member states should be honoured. This is also and especially true in a no-deal scenario where the United Kingdom would be expected to continue to honour all commitments made during EU membership," the spokeswoman, Mina Andreeva, said.

"Settling accounts is essential to starting of a new relationship on the right foot, based on mutual trust," she said, adding that London has not formally raised the issue with the EU side so far.

The statement comes after Mr Johnson, who was using the G7 summit in Biarritz to hold talks with European Council president Donald Tusk, said he believed the chances of a deal were "improving" following a round of diplomacy including meetings with German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Emmanuel Macron.

But he refused to repeat his previous assertion that the odds of a no-deal outcome were a million to one.

"It all depends on our EU friends and partners, I think in the last few days there has been a dawning realisation in Brussels and other European capitals what the shape of the problem is for the UK," he told the BBC.

"I think it's going to be touch and go but the important thing is to get ready to come out without a deal."

In a series of broadcast interviews, Mr Johnson confirmed he would withhold the bulk of the £39bn (€42.7bn) divorce bill if there is not a deal.

"I think what the entire European Union understands is that if we come out without a deal that the £39bn is not pledged," he told Sky.

https://www.independent.ie/business/brexit/britain-must-settle-43bn-eu-divorce-bill-even-after-nodeal-brexit-says-eu-38436774.html

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #2630 on: August 26, 2019, 06:06:01 pm »

Melton Mowbray pork pie makers and No 10 clash over Johnson claim

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49470831
He's telling pork pies... about pork pies? When symbolism eats itself. Always knew 'idiom' was close to 'idiot', but really...
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2631 on: August 26, 2019, 06:09:16 pm »
    "It all depends on our EU friends and partners, I think in the last few days there has been a dawning realisation in Brussels and other European capitals what the shape of the problem is for the UK," 

No it fucking doesn't you colossal wang.   :butt :butt :butt

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2632 on: August 26, 2019, 06:15:37 pm »
No it fucking doesn't you colossal wang.   :butt :butt :butt

But that's what many of the British public think and what they want to hear.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #2633 on: August 26, 2019, 06:19:41 pm »
It also depends on all MPs pulling together for brexit, I’m reading.  As well as the public believing in it, obviously.  In fact, when you think about it, Johnson himself might be one of the few who isn’t responsible for brexit.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2634 on: August 26, 2019, 07:05:42 pm »
It also depends on all MPs pulling together for brexit, I’m reading.  As well as the public believing in it, obviously.  In fact, when you think about it, Johnson himself might be one of the few who isn’t responsible for brexit.
What makes you think Johnson shouldn't be blamed for Brexit.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2636 on: August 26, 2019, 07:10:13 pm »
What makes you think Johnson shouldn't be blamed for Brexit.

I think he was suggesting the way Johnson was trying to position himself rather than the poster thinking he wasn't responsible.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2637 on: August 26, 2019, 08:00:03 pm »
Behind a paywall. What is the jist?
We'll have to tow Trump's line on Iran and China etc. in return for that deal - Trump's motivations are not only to weaken China but also the EU.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2638 on: August 26, 2019, 08:27:56 pm »
So ‘getting our country back’ was basically all about us being donald trumps little bitch then, awesome.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2639 on: August 26, 2019, 08:31:09 pm »