Author Topic: 2019 in Music  (Read 40953 times)

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
Re: 2019 in Music
« Reply #480 on: October 10, 2019, 09:51:07 pm »
The new Bat for Lashes is mighty fine. It sounds like a top 10 entry. [emoji106]

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #481 on: October 11, 2019, 10:28:02 am »
Big Thief released a second album this year.  ???

The new Girl Ray single is great.  :wave
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #482 on: October 11, 2019, 11:48:03 am »
on first listen, i was really into the new diiv
by the third listen, it started to sound boring sadly, not sure what happened
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: October 11, 2019, 12:35:39 pm »
Prefer the new Big Thief on first listen, wasn't into the previous one. Commendable work ethic though.

This weekend all about the new Richard Dawson.

Also been listening to Red river dialect's latest, and this gem of a compilation:

https://lightintheattic.net/releases/2906-sing-it-high-sing-it-low-tumbleweed-records-1971-1973
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #484 on: October 11, 2019, 02:09:19 pm »
Inundated this week; Nick Cave's Ghosteen is his best ever, an astonishing, heartbreaking, deeply moving and beautiful thing. Wilco sounds like Wilco on the first few passes, which is to say, head and shoulders above most stuff, The Lilac Time are back with some tremendously melancholic indie pop folk country whimsy; I am not really sure why Stephen Duffy doesn't have statues and stuff littered around the country by now. I have yet to get onto Fred Deakin's 'The Lasters', but the former Lemon Jelly man has made a science fiction space rock opera concept album; I'm going to listen to it wrapped in bacofoil and slurping dubious cocktails.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: October 11, 2019, 04:22:09 pm »
I have yet to get onto Fred Deakin's 'The Lasters', but the former Lemon Jelly man has made a science fiction space rock opera concept album; I'm going to listen to it wrapped in bacofoil and slurping dubious cocktails.

This sounds very interesting...

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #486 on: October 11, 2019, 04:29:49 pm »
This sounds very interesting...

The album, or my listening party?  ???

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: October 11, 2019, 04:54:06 pm »
The album, or my listening party?  ???

Both! :lmao

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #488 on: October 11, 2019, 05:23:30 pm »
As MichaelA says, the new Nick Cave album is astonishing.

Big Thief continue to deliver - what a work ethic. I cannot really convey how amazing they are. Something truly special about what they do.

This is an amazing performance of 'Not' off the album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWW-eKX8uSo&app=desktop

Wilco is brilliant. Probably their best album of last 4/5 years.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 07:32:04 pm by Nick110581 »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #489 on: October 11, 2019, 10:03:49 pm »
Prefer the new Big Thief on first listen, wasn't into the previous one. Commendable work ethic though.

This weekend all about the new Richard Dawson.

Also been listening to Red river dialect's latest, and this gem of a compilation:

https://lightintheattic.net/releases/2906-sing-it-high-sing-it-low-tumbleweed-records-1971-1973
Think I'm the of the opposite opinion, but imagine I'm in the minority round these here parts, loved UFOF's weird ethereal abstract folkyness. This one's class too though. Haven't heard the Richard Dawson album yet but it's coming, and the songs off of it thus far sound class. Love the Angel Olsen album too, and the Pete Rock/Skyzoo collaboration is a wonder.

Can't quite make my mind up about the new HGM thing as I'm not sure his music needs the guy from the National producing, but I think it's a stronger set of songs than his last one and he probably suffers (according to the reviewer in my head) because his earlier stuff was of such a ridiculously high and consistent standard. That Nick Cave thing seems deserving of a listen, best thing ever according to Metacritic and their slightly dubious ranking system, though to be honest I'll probably go with the RAWK recommendations first, but all seem to concord in this case. Never been much of a fan despite him obviously being a great lyricist and seeming like a fairly decent and interesting bloke, but thought his last one was a pretty impressive, if heavy as fuck, listen so will give this one a whirl at some stage.

Been a good month or two in a good year for music, I think. Not too long 'til lists either. Love the lists, me.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: October 11, 2019, 11:06:43 pm »
Mark Ronson seems to know a lot of famous people, but I don’t understand the fuss.

Late Night Feelings leaves me wondering what the point was.
Justice for the 96!

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: October 12, 2019, 08:32:10 am »
Can't quite make my mind up about the new HGM thing as I'm not sure his music needs the guy from the National producing, but I think it's a stronger set of songs than his last one and he probably suffers (according to the reviewer in my head) because his earlier stuff was of such a ridiculously high and consistent standard.

I don't think anyone does. One of the most overrated bands of the last 15 years, The National. The American Elbow. There, I said it. It's early enough in the morning to reveal my true grumpy feelings.

The opening track in particular is great on HGM, but for me the production doesn't work. One of the things that drew me to Hiss when I first heard 'Lateness of Dancers' was the brilliant sparse sound they had. Space, shitloads of it. Now you can barely hear the grooves, I'm disappointed to be honest.

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: October 12, 2019, 08:38:40 am »
Mark Ronson seems to know a lot of famous people, but I don’t understand the fuss.

Late Night Feelings leaves me wondering what the point was.

The Angel Olsen track is a banger though. The rest of it is kind of meh.

Offline Venton

• Main Stander
« Reply #493 on: October 12, 2019, 09:34:28 am »
Stephen Mallinder - Um Dada

For you Cabaret Voltaire fans out there...

https://stephenmallinder.bandcamp.com/album/um-dada

Stephen Mallinder, co-founder and frontman of the iconic Cabaret Voltaire, has returned with his first solo album in over 35 years: Um Dada. Laced with leftfield house and cut-up sound collages, Um Dada is a melding of energies that are an exercise in simplicity and motion. Sincere, playful realism that beckons your body to move, always reminding you to never take yourself too seriously without forfeiting your agency.

While steering Cabaret Voltaire through the 1980’s, Mallinder was already busy piecing together his first solo album entitled “Pow Wow”, which would help define Mallinder’s interest in the more leftfield electro sounds shaping England at the time. It was this diverse and abstract hybrid that helped inspire generations of artists and musicians through steeping raw machine funk within the whimsical and absurdist ideology.

Since the release of “Pow Wow” in 1982, Mallinder continued his pioneering work with Cabaret Voltaire, as well as recording and touring with his electro projects Wrangler, Creep Show, Hey Rube, Kula, and Cobby & Mallinder. In addition to his non-stop schedule in electronic music, his professional life as a journalist, broadcaster, producer and now a professor of Digital Music & Sound Art at the University of Brighton, has lead Mallinder to a unique point in his career. Most in his position would be caught up in rosy retrospection, but Mallinder himself says, “There’s too much digital finger-licking right now; every thought and desire at the turn of a dial… well a click of the mouse. And there’s a giddy, false nostalgia about the analogue past. Sorry to burst your bubble but the truth of history is more mundane: practical, pragmatic...Um Dada is about ‘play’ – cut and paste, lost words, twisted presets, voice collage, simple sounds – things that have been lost to technology’s current determinism. Let the machines talk to each other, let them dance .. they lead, we follow.”

Um Dada opens up with the exact machine-led surrealism that Mallinder recommends in “Working (You Are)”. A thick, stripped back dance floor groove provides the ideal foundation for Mallinder’s eccentric vocal cuts. The frisky chops present an almost twisted irony, subtly bringing to mind the role we’re all forced to play as just another cog in the ever grinding capitalist machine of life. Yet, somehow, the listener is left feeling optimistic. A prime example of simplicity at work.

Tracks such as “Satellite” give a skillful illustration of Mallinder’s adeptness with his musical expertise while preserving his core historical context as only simple reference. The underlying bassline and percussion, coupled with the floating melodies and airy vocal refrain disclose the vulnerabilities of love and loss without a hint of irony or nostalgia.

Um Dada is mischievously idealist, however never loses touch with reality. Offering structure while simultaneously dismantling any and all preconceptions. The spirit of sincerity that sustained Cabaret Voltaire’s lengthy career is abundantly present within founder Stephen Mallinder’s journey through his own whimsical utopian consciousness and staking claim to an identity that is solely his own.

Learn more at: www.daisrecords.com 

released October 11, 2019

Tags: electronic experimental electronic house leftfield leftfield dance techno Brighton

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #494 on: October 12, 2019, 12:33:33 pm »
The Angel Olsen track is a banger though. The rest of it is kind of meh.

Nothing Breaks like a Heart is guff, as is most of the album. In his defence, I know a couple of his cousins. They are nice people who would not dream of putting trumpets on a Smiths song.
Justice for the 96!

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: October 12, 2019, 05:19:22 pm »
So the Richard Dawson is magnificent.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: October 12, 2019, 05:35:07 pm »
So the Richard Dawson is magnificent.

I've still only had the first side on still so far.

'Dream of bashing his skull into a brainy pulp with a sellotape dispenser'

An emotion I can get behind there  ;D

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #497 on: October 14, 2019, 11:42:37 pm »
Dawson is our Bob Dylan. We've never had one before. Am not a Dylan fan either, but he's got to be the nearest thing we've ever had to this mythological singer songwriter 'summing it up' type stuff that we've ever had. Was funny to read that people actually assumed he jogged tho and were willing to send money to help. Am glad he's experiencing a touch of weird pop star status  ;D

I fist bumped him once. I want him to be bigger than Whitney Houston.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #498 on: October 15, 2019, 12:52:35 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/UGiQ_-Ktpvc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/UGiQ_-Ktpvc</a>

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: October 15, 2019, 12:55:38 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/UGiQ_-Ktpvc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/UGiQ_-Ktpvc</a>

made my wife promise she would pay attention to this properly and then made her sit through every second of it. And watched her reaction to make sure she thought it was great too.

Didn't go across too well.
---Rilke

Online Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #500 on: October 15, 2019, 12:06:45 pm »
Listened to Dawson's album, 2020, pretty much on repeat since midnight it was out on Spotify. Hopefully gonna catch him in Leeds on 22 Nov. Eventhe missus likes jogging and two halves, the poppier tracks
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: October 15, 2019, 05:05:47 pm »
made my wife promise she would pay attention to this properly and then made her sit through every second of it. And watched her reaction to make sure she thought it was great too.

Didn't go across too well.

Update: caught her humming the tune earlier and is now irritated that she can't get it out of her head. Sounds like a win to me.
---Rilke

Online Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #502 on: October 15, 2019, 10:12:19 pm »
Catchiest hook - Black Triangle?

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: October 16, 2019, 01:53:16 pm »
Catchiest hook - Black Triangle?

Think the last tune for me. Grimmest subject matter, but jesus the melody is just so jaunty. In general it's a remarkably hooky album.

Online Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #504 on: October 16, 2019, 09:47:12 pm »
Think the last tune for me. Grimmest subject matter, but jesus the melody is just so jaunty. In general it's a remarkably hooky album.

After a few more listens and getting (most) the words, yes, maybe one of the best.

Not a bad song on there. Roll on 22 November!

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: October 18, 2019, 12:33:54 pm »
New single by Garcia Peoples is 31 minutes long and I am loving it. For the 3 Grateful Dead fans out there, just as the name implies ;D

Would love to go and see these live.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: October 18, 2019, 02:06:22 pm »

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #507 on: October 20, 2019, 11:39:23 am »
Richard Dawson album is so important. It is outstanding.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: October 20, 2019, 02:25:24 pm »
New Moon Duo is a lovely Sunday album

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: October 20, 2019, 02:27:53 pm »
Sandro Perri playing a pay-what-you-can album launch show here in Toronto next sunday, can't wait
---Rilke

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: October 20, 2019, 02:46:57 pm »
Sandro Perri playing a pay-what-you-can album launch show here in Toronto next sunday, can't wait

Tape it for me! Honestly, I'll send you money and everything. He'll probably never come to Liverpool or anywhere remotely close. My AOTY last year, and in the running again with Soft Landing this year.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: October 22, 2019, 11:52:44 am »
Someone recommended Sound and Fury to me by Sturgill Simpson. Not usually someone I'd listen to as he's more of a country artist but this album is something I can listen to from start to finish very easily. There's also a 40 min anime episode that goes along with it on Netflix (kinda like that Thom Yorker wes Anderson thing). Again, I'm not an anime fan but the visuals are pretty cool.

I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: October 24, 2019, 10:43:20 pm »
Jesus Is King is dropping tomorrow apparently.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: October 26, 2019, 03:22:44 am »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/um0pZFMf2GA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/um0pZFMf2GA</a>

Searched the entire thread and not one mention of Orville Peck. For shame.

What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: October 26, 2019, 11:00:59 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/um0pZFMf2GA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/um0pZFMf2GA</a>

Searched the entire thread and not one mention of Orville Peck. For shame.
Nearly saw this fella in the Paradiso this evening. Went to see Trumans Water in Utrecht instead.

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: October 26, 2019, 11:35:58 pm »
New TOPS and Destroyer  :)

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/PO5cr2XB0vo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/PO5cr2XB0vo</a>

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/9mFTgJQtCPk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/9mFTgJQtCPk</a>
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline telekon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: October 30, 2019, 01:27:12 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BfrCwQPItxE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BfrCwQPItxE</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cwHdu6aXu6A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cwHdu6aXu6A</a>

:wave

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: October 30, 2019, 01:36:12 pm »
New TOPS and Destroyer  :)

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/PO5cr2XB0vo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/PO5cr2XB0vo</a>

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/9mFTgJQtCPk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/9mFTgJQtCPk</a>

In love with the destroyer already
---Rilke

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #518 on: October 30, 2019, 02:33:47 pm »
New Destroyer is amazing.

Should be more tour announcements soon for UK!

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: November 4, 2019, 04:31:44 pm »
So what does everyone think of the Jamie Webster track?