Author Topic: Doctor Who **USE SPOILER TAGS PLEASE**  (Read 349445 times)

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
Re: Doctor Who **USE SPOILER TAGS PLEASE**
« Reply #5000 on: July 20, 2017, 12:41:31 pm »
As a side issue - when did nerds people start going on about things being 'canon'?

Star Wars fans early 90s when the Internet escaped from Universities.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #5001 on: July 20, 2017, 12:43:44 pm »
Or possibly when reboots started.
Would have thought comics and some of the changes there caused 'canon' to spring up?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5002 on: July 20, 2017, 12:45:37 pm »
Or possibly when reboots started.
Would have thought comics and some of the changes there caused 'canon' to spring up?

The Star Wars expanded universe through up lots of contradictions... the Holiday Special especially.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5003 on: July 20, 2017, 12:45:55 pm »
He's UKIP.

Easy mistake to make!

Anyway, I'm very excited because Alison Moyet liked my response to his tweet!

My brief brush with fame!!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #5004 on: July 20, 2017, 01:04:37 pm »
Star Wars fans early 90s when the Internet escaped from Universities.

That makes sense. It's all bollocks and has nothing to do with creativity. Artists throughout history have changed things in their stories and artworks as their own ideas develop and the world around them changes.

I suppose it's about the ability to suspend disbelief. There are people who need the 'universe' to be coherent and consistent in order to believe in the story they are being told.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5005 on: July 20, 2017, 01:42:40 pm »
That makes sense. It's all bollocks and has nothing to do with creativity. Artists throughout history have changed things in their stories and artworks as their own ideas develop and the world around them changes.

I suppose it's about the ability to suspend disbelief. There are people who need the 'universe' to be coherent and consistent in order to believe in the story they are being told.

There is a long precedent for this. Look at Robert A. Heinlein late works using Pantheistic Solipsism to unify his disparate works. Most of it is unreadable pap. See also the late Asimov unification of Foundation and Robots series.

It's self indulgent and generally turns into a nerd wankfest that screws the impact of the original narrative.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5006 on: July 20, 2017, 02:46:23 pm »
I think it's much more interesting to take any work on its individual merits but also to have that separate overview of how art develops and represents it's time.

I remember this storyline from the original season two:

The Zarbies and the Menoptra. Even as a very young kid I knew the costumes were utter shite. And don't even get me started on the Chumblies or the Mechanoids.

They're all 'canon' enemies for the Doctor but they never reappear like the Daleks or the Cybermen because they were laughable and of their time. They look that way because of the budget, a 1960's concept of the future, and for the Chumblies and the Mechanoids, an attempt to come up with an alternative to the Daleks.

And then I keep hearing (probably from people too young to have watched any of the original Hartnell Doctor Who) that a woman as The Doctor will somehow destroy my childhood memories.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5007 on: July 20, 2017, 02:59:45 pm »
But if the Doctor were to be written to kill innocents in cold blood, then that would not be canon, right?  But it would be ok because it's a new creative direction?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #5008 on: July 20, 2017, 06:23:50 pm »
But if the Doctor were to be written to kill innocents in cold blood, then that would not be canon, right?  But it would be ok because it's a new creative direction?

Depends what you mean by "ok" really. Would it be artistically valid? Yes. Might it be entertaining? Yes. Would it be in keeping with the spirit of the programme? No.

Casting a female doctor is not against the spirit of the programme, which has always had a strong message of equality, using intelligence to solve problems and violence only ever as an absolute and regrettable last resort. There's nothing "core" to the concept of the show about the Doc's cock.

As for "canon" it's pretty meaningless for a show like Doctor Who, which has frequently contradicted itself over and over again. The story "The Ark in Space" from the mid-70s, has a plot where the Earth is abandoned for ten thousand years from the year 6087, but there are several other stories taking place on Earth during this period. There are also at least two different explanations for Atlantis.

The various comics, audio dramas and original novels around the show are all supposedly non-canon, except that the Doctor sometimes references them on screen. Does this mean all of them are canon? No, because they also contradict one another, and the show, all the time.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5009 on: July 21, 2017, 10:45:25 am »
Just for the record I've no problem with the Doctor being female, that fits with the ethos of the show and the character and I'd say is canon anyway.  Just think it's good sometimes to have that line you can trace through a character's history where everything fits.  It's like Batman not using guns and never killing, it's really jarring when you see it happen in a movie because canonically(?) he has always been adamant that it's not the way to do things.

If the Doctor suddenly started flying round in a basic spaceship instead of the TARDIS then I'd consider that non-canon.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5010 on: July 21, 2017, 10:49:25 am »
If the Doctor suddenly started flying round in a basic spaceship instead of the TARDIS then I'd consider that non-canon.

Pertwee stuck on Earth and using Bessie?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5011 on: July 21, 2017, 11:30:23 am »

That was part of a story where he was separated from the TARDIS though, right?  That's not the same as the Doctor having the TARDIS available and then just deciding to ditch it and drive around the universe in a car that isn't bigger on the inside.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5012 on: July 21, 2017, 11:35:23 am »
With the idea of time travel and the ability to alter anything , I find canon fairly meaningless.
I think it's been said there are fixed points that can't be altered, but as I struggle to even understand the story arcs I may well have that wrong.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5013 on: July 21, 2017, 01:08:30 pm »

Don't be knocking that shipping crate, it was actually another Tardis stuck in that shape!

Spoiler

Not.

[close]

To be fair to Pertwee, he turned a lack of props and storyline into enjoyable tales that were only later matched in Wurzel Gummidge
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5014 on: July 21, 2017, 01:09:17 pm »
That was part of a story where he was separated from the TARDIS though, right?  That's not the same as the Doctor having the TARDIS available and then just deciding to ditch it and drive around the universe in a car that isn't bigger on the inside.

No his Tardis was there. It was knackered and literally in pieces. The console was about the only (Slightly) intact bit.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #5015 on: July 21, 2017, 06:18:12 pm »
 Lewis John Yule‏ @LewisJohnY2 17m17 minutes ago

So sad to hear of the death of Deborah Watling, who played the companion Victoria in Doctor Who, alongside Patrick Troughton.

She was 69 and died after a short battle with cancer.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 06:19:53 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #5016 on: July 21, 2017, 06:43:08 pm »

Sort of. When Partick Troughton left the show in 1969, it was expected to be the end of the series. Moving into colour production would make it far more expensive to produce but by 1970 a black and white sci fi show would have looked ridiculous and the BBC was on a major colour kick.

The compromise was to base the Doctor permanently on Earth so they could save on futuristic sets and alien planets.

In series, this was achieved by the Doctor finally contacting the Time Lords (who were never even mentioned before this point) and being exiled to Earth with his TARDIS dematerialisation circuit disabled and his knowledge of time travel mechanics suppressed.

He was based at UNIT, but the TARDIS was always in the corner of the lab, until he got it working again a bit. Eventually, the Time Lords gave him a pardon after the Three Doctors story, where he saved Gallifrey and he was able to travel again, although he stuck around UNIT for a few years anyway.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5017 on: July 21, 2017, 06:57:46 pm »
I remembered the exiled and time circuit bit (miraculously) but didn't know he had his knoweldge of time travel wiped.
Way to mess with canon.

That tardis, pictured with Deborah, is way better than the current one.

Just remembered, I painted my daughter's bedroom door blue, used bubble wrap for windows and half a plastic cup for the beacon. I'm more of a geek \ whovian than I realised.....

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5018 on: July 23, 2017, 11:43:51 pm »
Does he? We've never seen what's down there. He's an alien with two hearts. It's highly unlikely the Time Lords would have the same genitalia as humans. I can honestly say that in 50 years watching Doctor Who, I have never imagined Doctor Who's cock.

Never watched the Leftovers?

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5019 on: July 25, 2017, 10:44:24 am »
Never watched the Leftovers?

No - I've heard good things though.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5020 on: July 25, 2017, 10:50:36 am »
No - I've heard good things though.

It is very good, although there is a seismic shift in tone between seasons. If ever you watch it, the stocks scene explains my comment.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #5021 on: July 25, 2017, 07:01:41 pm »
And cannot be unseen.

Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #5022 on: August 22, 2017, 06:14:44 pm »
Bradley Walsh?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5023 on: August 23, 2017, 01:18:33 pm »
Bradley Walsh?

Read that this morning too and I can kind of see it.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #5024 on: August 23, 2017, 01:20:59 pm »
Read that this morning too and I can kind of see it.

I don't mind him actually and from the detective stuff he can act. No idea though if he'll fit

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5026 on: October 23, 2017, 11:13:00 am »
I look forward to not being able to get through 2 minutes of any YouTube review of new episodes without hearing about the 'SJW agenda' being forced on us by 'shadowy liberal media elites'.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5027 on: October 23, 2017, 11:58:37 am »
Why the hell would you be watching American YouTube reviews of Dr Who?

Twatty UK reviewers will by and large go with Political Correctness Gone Mad.

But as a general guideline, blacklist anyone who uses SJW,  seriously or ironically - it does not matter which neither motivation suggests that that reviewer is worth listening to.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5028 on: October 23, 2017, 12:04:45 pm »
Pleased with Bradley Walsh, been awhile since I have seen him but from what I recall he has a good line in humour, don't know much about the other two companions.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #5029 on: October 23, 2017, 05:17:33 pm »
Pleased with Bradley Walsh, been awhile since I have seen him but from what I recall he has a good line in humour, don't know much about the other two companions.

England's best ever assistant manager, if you ask me.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5030 on: October 23, 2017, 08:05:56 pm »
Why the hell would you be watching American YouTube reviews of Dr Who?

I don't and wouldn't really, I've just been mooching about for discussion videos on the new Star Trek/Orville recently and keep running into similar themes (and not just on US videos either).
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #5031 on: November 9, 2017, 02:40:38 pm »
Outfit revealed

A touch of the 4th Doctor's scarf colours in the band on the top. The Tardis is new too, apparently, but they all look the same to me.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5032 on: November 9, 2017, 05:16:36 pm »
Without the coat she looks like a kids TV presenter.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5033 on: November 9, 2017, 07:16:20 pm »
Without the coat she looks like a kids TV presenter.

Rainbow.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #5034 on: November 9, 2017, 08:41:15 pm »

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5035 on: November 9, 2017, 09:23:06 pm »
Thanks gazza, that's ruined her whole tenancy for me.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5036 on: November 17, 2017, 09:38:13 pm »
Just seen a preview clip on youtube of the First Doctor entering Capaldi's TARDIS:

Spoiler
Judging from the clip, it looks as though First has only just escaped Gallifrey, as Twelve points out his TARDIS on the scanner and it's still a cylinder, not a police box.  He also says, "Remember where you parked - that will come up a lot."
[close]
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5037 on: December 26, 2017, 09:35:12 am »
Nobody watched the Xmas episode then just in case they glimpsed a Doctor they didn't like?

For me it wasn't terrible. I liked the Doctors playing off each other, though the Captain reveal became painfully obvious as they were taking great pains to not even ask his name for the duration. Bill was the best of the recent companions and the brief contrast with Clara really hammered that home.

Apparently the First Doctor's outdated social views are causing a stir (not because he has them, but because they were never so forthright in the show). It was probably a bit much and might have been better led by the Captain. Gave Bill a nice line though.

The only bit that didn't work for me was the 'database' sequence in the middle, which was a jarring shift in tone and I wonder if it was put in to get some explosions to distract the kids.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #5038 on: December 26, 2017, 10:38:31 pm »
I enjoyed it.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #5039 on: December 27, 2017, 01:22:20 am »
One of the better Christmas specials to be honest.

The first Doctor's 'sexism' was extremely forced and out of place, but everything else was good.
:D