Author Topic: The Round and Round and Round the Table we go, Reading's Goalie 0.  (Read 17692 times)

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
Re: The Round and Round and Round the Table we go, Reading's Goalie 0.
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2013, 05:39:42 pm »
"Don't give me good generals, give me lucky generals" CHOPPER: 1739
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2013, 05:42:34 pm »
Thankfully you didn't say '30 years experience' - had visions that Hodgson had returned there!

I keep my farts in my back pocket and my hands from my face. I'm sorted.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline RedHandGang

• Kopite
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2013, 06:11:40 pm »
Interesting piece PhaseofPlay. Perhaps an example of this in recent memory is the demolition job done on Real Madrid where almost everything went according to a tactical plan.

Certainly makes you think about systems and being rigorous in enforcing it.
"One defends when his strength is inadaquate, he attacks when it is abundant."

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2013, 08:45:20 pm »
"Don't give me good generals, give me lucky generals" CHOPPER: 1739

twenty to six? were you having your tea?
Yep.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2013, 09:42:08 pm »
There could be a million things said about this but at the end it doesn´t matter as it´s all in the past. Stevie has to look for himself now as his body denies him to be the game changer on a regular basis he used to be, he cannot look for the team although he tries but it´s too much to ask from him at this stage of his career. I think he definitely didn´t lack arrogance but the point is that all the arrogance wouldn´t help him to lead the team the way it should be at the moment as his body is suffering due to age. It´s too much to ask from him.

For sure it´s way too much for Rodgers to handle. The issue is so big that it would take either a van Gaal type of person or somebody with an untouchable status to guide and help Gerrard during his last couple of seasons without stepping on his toes while changing his role to the benefit for the team and open up space for a Cantona/Toure type of player.

if you read his auto biography the lad is/was riddled  with self doubt - his first england call up saw him hide in his bedroom, the majestic 5-1 against the Germans had Hamann giving him a pep talk in the first half he was so nervous

I probably wasn't clear - I wanted to say that we're not looking for pure leadership on its own - they have to fit the tactics of the team too, and complete the tactical picture. Vinny Jones had the same temperament as Roy Keane, for example, but Keane was the superior player and could actually play a bit. Souness was a born leader, but he understood the Liverpool passing game, so he could "fit" into the picture. So leadership is important, don't misunderstand me - but we're looking for more than just leadership, more than just a talisman. This player has to make the rest of the players want to play 100% every game, just by their presence on the pitch (for Cantona and Keegan, it was by example - Smith was more of a "leader" type than Keegan, but Keegan made things happen for the team. Keane and Souness were leaders, but they still needed a Beckham and Dalglish to be the talents. For me, the mulitplier is that one player that makes the whole team make sense, and often gives the team its identity. They can and usually are a leader, but it's not necessary). I wanted to stress that I wasn't talking about a captain, necessarily, but a leader-without-being-a-leader type of player - for example, Souness would have been Souness with or without a captain's armband. That kind of player.

I agree the lad we are talking about needs to see the plan and help everybody else see it too - Allen will help  but he doesn't have the gravitas required
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2013, 10:03:31 pm »
if you read his auto biography the lad is/was riddled  with self doubt - his first england call up saw him hide in his bedroom, the majestic 5-1 against the Germans had Hamann giving him a pep talk in the first half he was so nervous

I agree the lad we are talking about needs to see the plan and help everybody else see it too - Allen will help  but he doesn't have the gravitas required

You think he still is? His career was pretty impressive since then. Anyway we need a Toure kind of player, pretty clear after this interesting debate.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:05:51 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline BreakfastPercy

• Legacy Fan
  • Follow me: @BreakfastPercy
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2013, 10:13:00 pm »
You think he still is? His career was pretty impressive since then. Anyway we need a Toure kind of player, pretty clear after this interesting debate.
Is Touré that kind of player?

Strikes me more we require a Carvalho. Multiplied the ability of Chelsea's entire defense and central midfield without being the out and out 'leader'. His qualities augmented John Terry to be the player he was in that rock solid Mourinho back line. He also did all the skullduggery that goes with being a senior, winning player. I could see Agger as the passionate go-to leader (John Terry type) as he relishes it for Denmark and makes those sort of noises about his role at the club.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2013, 10:40:11 pm »
twenty to six? were you having your tea?
Yup,and by 12 minutes past I'd invaded Russia and by just gone 20 past, I was dead!

What a day!
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2013, 10:45:16 pm »
Is Touré that kind of player?

Strikes me more we require a Carvalho. Multiplied the ability of Chelsea's entire defense and central midfield without being the out and out 'leader'. His qualities augmented John Terry to be the player he was in that rock solid Mourinho back line. He also did all the skullduggery that goes with being a senior, winning player. I could see Agger as the passionate go-to leader (John Terry type) as he relishes it for Denmark and makes those sort of noises about his role at the club.

I once read an interview with Gattuso where he was asked to name the "warriors" in football, players who perform on their top level whenever putting on a shirt, be it in training or on the pitch and I think we need exactly this type of player for our midfield. A dominant player infront of Lucas and if it´s true that we are doing well financially we shouldn´t shy away of spending big again on a top player providing this.

I agree on Agger, to me he is one of the few warriors in the team when fit.

Then we need a full back, a finisher/striker (Klose typ with clever movement and great header of the ball) and a winger (Ince would be great). Four players are a must in the summer in order to raise the competition and avoid performances like this. No excuses next season that´s for sure, we need to establish an entire different atmosphere from next season on, the players have to establish to provide basic professionalism whenever they put on the shirt.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:47:02 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2013, 10:58:44 pm »
Yup,and by 12 minutes past I'd invaded Russia and by just gone 20 past, I was dead!

What a day!

Good job you are the pope then , closer to god, not Robbie.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2013, 11:01:16 pm »

What a day!

Fastest game of Risk ever.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2013, 11:20:04 pm »

Shame he wasn't playing Monopoly could have bought this club at that rate.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline FoolForPool

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2013, 10:10:08 am »

Haha  ;D

Great read, thanks everybody.

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2013, 10:31:21 am »
I couldn't tell you, but I think it might actually be a defender rather than a midfielder or attacker. Someone who drives us up the field and keeps us in a high line which means we have more compression in the attacking half which means we can press better, which then means we get the ball back quicker, which means more of the ball. We'll know the player if we get him though. It's a key signing for Rodgers, and I hope we get that player in the summer.

Agree that this improvement would be as significant as any other we could make....our weaknesses this season, and the games we have looked at our poorest, have arisen from the team not being compact
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2013, 01:34:54 pm »
I couldn't tell you, but I think it might actually be a defender rather than a midfielder or attacker. Someone who drives us up the field and keeps us in a high line which means we have more compression in the attacking half which means we can press better, which then means we get the ball back quicker, which means more of the ball. We'll know the player if we get him though. It's a key signing for Rodgers, and I hope we get that player in the summer.

'Multiplier', good expression!

Based on that, I'd say it's a midfielder. For the reason that CM is the place where whoever we play there, the mix feels wrong.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline exiledinyorkshire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2013, 03:25:44 pm »

fucking hell that made me laugh! since i got it on the i-pad i have had a few very quick defeats. Its no joke being the sixth player, i mean what do you doooo!