Author Topic: Preview: Villa v Liverpool - Sunday 31st March, KO 13.30  (Read 35510 times)

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
Re: Preview: Villa v Liverpool - Sunday 31st March, KO 13.30
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2013, 11:19:37 am »
The last game was lost in the midfield.

If we control that area we will thump this lot.
Doubters to Believers

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2013, 11:09:28 pm »
What's with the apparent apathy towards this match/thread? Never known a pre-match thread with such little input particularly when you consider our last game was 10 days ago. #odd

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2013, 11:17:45 pm »
Smells of REVENGE and we need to give it to the Villans badly.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2013, 08:36:13 am »
What we have now is a lot of attacking players doing well and making themselves hard to drop. We could have done with this problem earlier in the season obviously. Now it's going to take some strong management with big gaps between matches to leave people out. One of the front 4 needs to drop out to be replaced by Jordan. Personally, I'd make it Sturridge. He's shown he can make an impact off the bench and while I do think he's a terrific player I also think his attitude has been slightly off since his last injury. A midfield of Lucas, Gerrard and Henderson should be able to dominate the ball, give supply to a very dangerous front 3 (whoever we leave out) and offer better protection to our defence than in the Southampton game. Throw in Carra being back and well rested and I also have a confident feeling about this one.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline xstoofer

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2013, 09:00:12 am »
It will be interesting to see what formation and composition the manager puts out. Has he learned from previous matches or will his hand be force by injuries to some "favoured" staff???

Also will the players (all of them) be up for this, they did themselves no favours at Southampton. The last time we met Villa, (at home FFS!!) we were embarrassed (this was my epiphany, we have a lot to do).

It's the uncertainty...
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared
to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2013, 12:29:38 pm »
Please no 4-2-4

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2013, 12:31:47 pm »
Pepe, Carra, Enrique, Lucas, Coutinho, Downing and Sturridge should all be nice and sharp.

I'd quite like to see Wisdom at RB for this and give Glen a period out of the side, but it won't happen.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Yozza1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2013, 12:33:32 pm »
Handle Benteke and we win the game. He took the piss out of Skrtel last time out so would rather see Carragher play on Sunday. At the same time however, their defence is poor so if we can get at them early doors I see a comfortable victory.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2013, 12:36:28 pm »
Yet again we are in a position of looking for a response from our players after an abject performance at a time we thought another corner had been turned. It'll be interesting to see who's arsed and who isn't.

Offline Jonny-LFC

• Kopite
  • Yorkshire Red
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2013, 01:07:04 pm »
Can sort of see where people are coming from with regards to resting Suarez but personally think it's a terrible idea. If your best player is fit then he has to play, he will have 3 full days to recover and is also hoping to hang onto that top spot for golden boot - not to mention we have a chance of some kind of European football too. Can't see why Suarez won't start.

Shame I couldn't make this game, will have to make do with watching somewhere in Leeds. Early goal and it'll be a rout. Even if it's 0-0 in the 70th minute, I can still see us winning this one.

0-3, Suarez, Johnson & Sturridge.
@JonnYNWA

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2013, 01:21:55 pm »
Gerrard played 90 last night he'll be fucked and giving the ball away all day again, shame Allens injured but I think Hendo has the confidence to fill in for Stevie right now

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2013, 01:25:53 pm »
Gerrard played 90 last night he'll be fucked and giving the ball away all day again, shame Allens injured but I think Hendo has the confidence to fill in for Stevie right now

LOL.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2013, 01:28:43 pm »
I think we'll go back to 4-3-3 for this with Coutinho making way for Henderson and obviously Lucas for Allen. Coutinho has done nothing wrong but in this type of game (Villa should be really up for this and away from home) and coming off the back of the horror of Southampton we need to solid start and could do with the extra man in the centre. Suarez and Sturridge pick themselves and I think Downing offers more defensively and influences the game more often (never thought I'd say that) whereas Coutinho when does get involved whilst it is better and is fewer and further between.

Also Carra for Skrtel

Offline Djibriliant

• Last of the Great Romantics. All-year-round-twattish-dresser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's Friday theeeeen, Saturday Sunday WHAT!?
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2013, 01:33:27 pm »
Suarez took the piss at their place last season so hopefully a repeat of that!
He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes. But he was genuine. He had the best interests of the club at heart, and gave us a plethora of successful teams that we should have been thankful for.

Offline JDoug10

• Boys Pen
  • YNWA
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2013, 02:04:06 pm »
Three men in the midfield, that's what will win us the game, though it would make sense to not start Suarez, it won't happen. So I'm thinking Suarez, Sturridge, Downing up front, Gerrard, Lucas, and Hendo in the middle, and I pray that Carra comes back in for Skrtel. I also wouldn't mind Wisdom coming in for Glen seeing as it would give us a bigger body for set pieces, and glen has made a few costly mistakes marking on them in these past few matches.

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2013, 02:07:35 pm »

We aren't playing till Sunday and given the fact that Stevie has backed up in every PL game after a Europa match,
which is only a 2 day break I think he'll be fine.

Offline LucyLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2013, 02:09:58 pm »
We aren't playing till Sunday and given the fact that Stevie has backed up in every PL game after a Europa match,
I agree. I don't see a problem in playing Gerrard on Sunday. If he does play shit on Sunday, take him off for a rest.

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2013, 02:12:48 pm »
I agree. I don't see a problem in playing Gerrard on Sunday. If he does play shit on Sunday, take him off for a rest.

The bloke has played every single minute of PL football this year.

Wild horses couldn't get him off the field.

Offline MonTheKuyt

• Anny Roader
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2013, 02:29:57 pm »
My first thought of Villa games was Riera's goal, from Reina's kick out. Still one of my favourites.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2013, 02:37:41 pm »
What will be interesting is that Villa have changed from the 3-5-2 of earlier in the season to a straight 4-4-2 with two holding mids (with maybe Delph getting forward a bit more). This is one less body in the middle of the field. If Sturridge stretches the gap between the two Villa CB's, this will give Suarez even more space to play in and will either force one of the Villa central defenders to drop in (giving us more space in midfield) or they will play as they were (giving us more space up front):

Other than that, the main factors tactically for this game will be how we cope with Benteke (Carragher should start for this reason), how Lucas positions himself in relation to this, and also how Agger copes with Weimann running in from the left. I think either one of Johnson or Wisdom will cover Agbonlahor well (if he plays), and once we sort those options out, then we should be okay in the defence, although we are always capable of conceding one. I think, though, the main focus should be on attack, with a 4-1-3-2/4-3-3 formation with Henderson in midfield, and it really doesn't matter which one of Coutinho or Downing starts - Downing will offer tactical balance, but might not be mentally in tune with the game, while Coutinho offers goals but might expose the rightback with his movement. As always, score early and this game should be a procession. Score two early first half goals and I think Suarez will smell blood. Whichever way it goes in that sense, though, the important thing will be to take advantage of any space created by Suarez, his movement, and any double-marking that Villa assign to him.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline PhiLFC#1

• The Messiah! He rawks amongst us
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2013, 02:41:16 pm »
Going along with the usual inconsistency I'll go for a win here. Lots of pessimism and no pressure on the players again

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2013, 04:40:44 pm »
Just can't predict what we'll do any more, I sort of had a decent run of predicting our results going but never saw that car crash at Southampton coming. We definitely owe them one but I just know a lot of our lads will be tired from travelling etc. would be interested to see how many games we've won after an International break in recent years - always seems like we churn in a half assed display after one of them.

Right now I think it will be a draw but if we turn up and control the midfield we can win comfortably ala Wigan away or Norwich.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2013, 04:43:46 pm »

Hope so, last time off an international break if I remember rightly he came back and played wank as did Glen Johnson.. would love them both to play a blinder and to smash Villa

Offline welshred1976

• Legacy Fan
  • make us dream
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2013, 05:46:34 pm »
Gerrard was shite for England. Quite sad to watch him now. I'd leave him out as villa play with a lot of energy. Won't happen mind.
“The status of the club is incredible, but it’s only until you come in it that you understand everything that goes on with the football club, with the Hillsborough Support Group ... it’s more than a football club, this is a way of life." Mr. Rodgers

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2013, 05:50:07 pm »
The last game was lost in the midfield.

If we control that area we will thump this lot.

For that reason Hendo to start with Lucas & SG in the middle.
Downing's form has been very good recently but I'd prefer to see Coutinho (more guile & holds the ball up better) in a front 3 alongside Sturridge/Suarez.

Villa are fighting for their PL lives at the moment & have won the last couple so we'll need to be on our game.
As mentioned cutting the supply to Benteke will be key - I also agree Carra needs to start this one to do deal with him.

We were punished in the game at Anfield for being so poor in front of goal but since then we've been much more effective in that respect with the additions of Coutinho & Sturridge giving us much more threat in the last third alongside Suarez.

I'm going for the same score as last season - 0-2 (Suarez & Sturridge).

« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 05:53:22 pm by SpartanRed »
'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline NOTBORNIN1982

• and neither is he the best poster on here, not even close in fact. Maybe the 1982nd.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2013, 05:50:29 pm »
Gerrard was shite for England. Quite sad to watch him now. I'd leave him out as villa play with a lot of energy. Won't happen mind.

It is quite sad watching him top the assist charts, brings a tear to the eye.
"How much do you smoke, sir? Two packs a day, is that right? Pussy. I go through two lighters a day. That's right, two lighters! You're a health nut compared to me."

Offline Kicked_Into_Touch

• Kopite
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2013, 05:53:22 pm »
It is quite sad watching him top the assist charts, brings a tear to the eye.

lol, brings a tear of some sort to mine!

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2013, 07:08:40 pm »
Would start with 3 in the middle (so 4-3-3) as most have said Gerrard, Lucas and Henderson. 

For me Coutinho will be the one to drop to the bench with Downing facing his old team.

Back 4 plus keeper pick themselves.

Should be enough.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2013, 07:17:54 pm »
Gerrard is not going to be dropped or subbed. Bar injury he is going to play every minute of every league game this season.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2013, 07:19:15 pm »
Gerrard is not going to be dropped or subbed. Bar injury he is going to play every minute of every league game this season.
Hope so.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline Newman96

• Look into his eyes. Pure evil.
  • Kopite
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2013, 07:21:42 pm »
Any chance we could be missing Suarez this Sunday if he gets banned for punching that Chile player?

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2013, 07:40:40 pm »
Any chance we could be missing Suarez this Sunday if he gets banned for punching that Chile player?

Any ban wouldn't affect domestic games.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2013, 08:10:59 pm »
We were playing well and scoring bundles before the Southampton defeat...a return to that form would be lovely.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2013, 08:12:34 pm »
No. If anything an international ban might work in our favour as it would give him a breather. That said, for his sake and for all he commits for us, I want Uruguay to qualify.

Online TheMissionary

• PositionIsSoooooooOrdinary!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's nice, that's McDermott, and that's a goal!!
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2013, 08:13:19 pm »
Villa are missing out on the joys of a proper derby game, let's do them a favour and relegate the bastards. 

Don't like Villa, can't put a finger on why, just want to see the back of them.  Trouble is the same is true of QPR and West Ham and Sunderland and Newcastle.. ...they can't all go down can they? 
Please note this doesn't mean that I don't dislike the plastics or the bitters or salford or the Arse etc etc.  I do, I just don't have a proper reason for disliking the ones above.
TheMissionary
YNWA

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2013, 08:20:47 pm »
Johnson looks like he's in need of a rest. He was a liability at times last night.

Offline Dirk18Kuyt

• Kopite
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2013, 08:55:30 pm »
Need Henderson back in midfield for this, maybe drop Coutinho or Sturridge.

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2013, 09:51:21 pm »
Yet again we are in a position of looking for a response from our players after an abject performance at a time we thought another corner had been turned. It'll be interesting to see who's arsed and who isn't.

Including the manager. Not another overly-attacking formation please!!

Offline Henry Blofeld

• Kemlynite
  • Money is the tail wagging Football's dog
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2013, 10:18:14 pm »
I think he'll go with the 4231 again hoping to shread Villa before they know what's hit them. Whether we get overun in midfield of not depends on how deep the 3 sit.  It's interesting that this formation gave Rafa the reputation for being too defensive and currently it's too attack minded. At the end of the day, managers just can't win!

Offline SweetSilverSevens

• Kopite
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2013, 10:38:21 pm »
Gerrard didn't play against San Marino. So before the Montenegro, Gerrard got a 10 day break.
Then he has a another 5 days to recover for this Villa game. Stop being silly.

Johnson looks like he's in need of a rest. He was a liability at times last night.

Same applied to Johnson.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:42:43 pm by SweetSilverSevens »