Author Topic: Please read - thanks  (Read 32023 times)

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
Please read - thanks
« on: February 14, 2013, 12:22:36 am »
Aside from Royhendo - I split this out because it's a brilliant piece of writing. Hopefully it makes people think.

-

PhaseofPlay - I'd echo the comments above about your posts - i've found them vastly informative and it's clear that you, like Rodgers, are a disciple of cutting edge football techniques.

My worry with Rodgers though is that he is too bound into the philosophy to acknowledge its errors.

After all, new techniques, tactics and stratgies in the 50's were found to be outdated and with inherent weaknesses over thee next 20 years. The same thing happened in 60's, 70's, 80's and so on.

So my question is - do you think we will look back in 20 years at anything Rodgers is trying to coach into our team now and regret or are you 100% behind everything that is written in the coaching manuals?

I have my own concerns about Rodgers, and I've expressed them in some threads (I think we should play three defenders against direct 4-4-2 teams, for example - and I remember an interview with Roy Evans in 2000, I think, where he was asked about his use of 3-5-2, and he said that they tried it twice under Souness, but Souness didn't like it and abandoned it, and he always thought it was a shame, because they had the players for it - I feel sometimes that Rodgers might be the same way. I also think if we play a four man defence that a diamond 4-4-2 would suit our players better without sacrificing his principles of play). My issue is mainly with the posters with barely hidden agendas trying to justify those agendas but not having the knowledge to back it up, and talking like they have a wealth of experience in the game to be able to say "I just don't think he'll do it". It just boggles my mind, not as someone who coaches, but as a more than 30 year supporter. I was there for the good times. I remember hating Rangers because they wouldn't let Souness go. I remember feeling like something was lost when he resigned. I remember delighting in the news that Evans would get the job. I remember thinking I could one day be good enough to play like an Evans player. I remember being suspicious of Houllier. I remember being angry about Evans leaving and Houllier getting sole responsibility. I remember stepping back, giving the man a chance, and seeing in 99-2000 that there was a style of play he was trying to get to. I remember 2001, and loving it. I remember getting home from a game to the news that he'd been taken into hospital. I remember the shock that surrounded the team for a week after that. I remember Roma. I remember being proud of the fans at the reception he got, and the big bear hug from Capello that said "this man is respected in the game".

I remember the final two seasons. I remember some fans turning on him in a way I never saw fans turn on a Liverpool manager before. I remember the league cup final and the joy it brought, and against United too. I remember the sluggishness of 03-04, and the tired relief at getting 4th. I remember having the wind knocked out of my sails when he was sacked. I remember thinking "there's only two other managers we should be looking at to replace him". I remember being happy we got Rafa (my personal coaching role model). I remember 2005, and everything being possible. I remember not minding that we were 3-0 down and looking like we lost it, because we had a man with a plan and we'd be back there soon enough. I remember walking on a cloud for 6 months. I remember the league challenge. I remember thinking Keane could be a good buy, and I remember being impressed that Rafa wasn't afraid to cut his losses on a player who didn't fit. I remember H&G. I remember Rafa looking like a broken man. I remember a team being booed for drawing a game. I remember fans turning on Rafa like they did on Houllier. I remember being intrigued by Hodgson. I was fortunate to have colleagues who had been around him, and their words were encouraging but prophetic - steady and unspectacular, but solid methods. I remember thinking we won't get Rafa 2, but we might get Houllier 2. I remember being disappointed not so much in the performances, but the manner of his bearing. The impression that he was a careerist, and Liverpool was a step to the England job. I remember him going, and being relieved, not because he went, but because the Owl comparisons didn't sit well with me.

I remember the joy at the King returning. I remember the football we played, and the positivity it brought. I remember Suarez scoring what might be the most important goal of Liverpool's recent history (debut goal). I remember the start of the new season - we had the form of champions for 6 months, we'd carry that on. I remember Meireles with the finger, I remember sub-par performances, and the loss of the flow we had in 2011. I remember the moans and the groans. I remember the haunted look on Kenny's face at times. I remember the cups. I remember the inconsistency. I remember the season ending and hoping that we got some fresh faces in for the new season, and Kenny kicking it back into gear. I remember shedding a tear when he was sacked. I remember the dance around Martinez. I remember Rodgers having the balls to say "Thanks, but no thanks". I remember him getting the job. I remember thinking that he would be good for the players, and they would respond to him. I remember thinking that we would be playing a style of football that would be the envy of clubs if he was given the chance. Not because of coaching manuals, but because he has a passion and a vision, and men of passion and vision in professional football are too few. Most want to retain their status quo. I remember thinking that the football he got us playing would get the fans behind him. I remember thinking "we used to be the most cultured fans in the world, he'll get the support because we'll all see what he's trying to do and how it will take time". And today I remembered that that faith was misplaced. We don't have those fans anymore. We have some of them. Others want everything to be instant, successful, and if it's not, dump the man in charge and move on. They won't say this overtly, but it drips from every sentence they type in pseudo-realism. And for me that's a shame.

To answer your question - I have much respect for Clarke. I thought Kenny and Clarke would get it right given time, but that hard decisions would have to be made about certain players. I have much respect for Rodgers, but hard questions still have to be asked of certain players, while some concerns are legitimate about his learning curve. The coaching manual only tells you so much. To be a good coach, you have to be out on the field, getting things across to players, and discarding stuff that doesn't work. There are plenty of theorists, but without practical experience, their opinions are more fitting for blogs. I don't have a blog. I did my learning on the field. As did Rodgers. I know where he's come from, and how much he has dedicated to being the best coach he can be. He is not a charlatan, but he is cast as one. He is not an unclothed Emperor, but he is cast as one. If this was year 3 of his contract, there would be valid criticisms, and I am sure I would support a lot of them. But 7 months into a season is way too early for the knives to be drawn. Especially for a manager trying to implement a difficult style of play without the players throughout to do so, and with the limitations of two transfer windows per year to contend with. People might say he should be pragmatic, but these are probably the very same people who thought Houllier should be playing a more expansive type of football. Rodgers is certainly an idealist, but I applaud that. I want young kids to look at Liverpool playing and say "I want to play like that. I want to be good enough for a Rodgers team". Just like I did when I watched Roy Evans' teams play. It's not enough, for me, to just win trophies. We could be a great cup team and do that (and that's not a criticism of Kenny. I'm talking long-term, over the next ten years). I want a Liverpool team to be like the greatest ones - a team that wins, but shows other teams, coaches and players the way the game should be played. We've missed that for two decades. Rodgers is a man who can bring that. He needs improvements. I certainly won't deny that. But if people are already damning his reign 7 months into the job where we are looking at very discrete moments that could have changed our season, then I don't know the Liverpool fanbase anymore. Maybe I'm too old now. Maybe I'm overqualified to be a supporter these days. Or maybe I just prefer fans to talk about the issues without agendas (and I have some great conversations with the likes of Vulmea, Dan A, Al555, and more, where we don't agree, but those guys clearly want what's best for the club, and they clearly will give Rodgers some time).

Rodgers has some learning to do. But 7 months is not enough time to judge whether he is learning or not. There are clear signs of what he is looking to achieve; there are clear deficiencies that need to be addressed. But that's the point. We can all see the problems, and I'm sure Rodgers and the staff can, too. But he can't do anything about them right now - he doesn't have the training time, and he doesn't have a transfer window. If, at this point next season we are still having these conversations, then THAT will be the time to express concerns. Right now, though, we should be supporting, enjoying the progress, and looking at the games with insight, not agendas.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:14:09 pm by royhendo »
Better looking than Samie.

royhendo

Re: Please read - thanks
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 10:11:25 pm »
Bump.

Please note - I split this out into a separate thread. Hopefully that's ok with PhaseOfPlay.

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 10:16:46 pm »
Thanks for making this an article that I could run into on the internet. Glad to hear there are other reasonable humans that understand that progress is just that. I can't even go online after Liverpool lose because it makes me realise what a shit bunch of people support Liverpool these days. Just a week ago it was all about making 4th place and Champions League spots. Now it's the absurd and childish #RodgersOut bollocky bs.

You've restored my faith.
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 10:25:14 pm »
it makes me realise what a shit bunch of people support Liverpool these days.

Don't you think that's a bit of a broad brush to sweep all up in?  You do realise that posters on the internet range from die hard match goers to those with a mere passing interest?  Not all are top supporters by any stretch, but by the same token not all are a shit bunch either.

Good OP anyway.  Personally don't think Rodgers will be shown the door this season even if we hardly win another game, for two reasons.  Simply because he is the first appointment that is definitely FSG's 'man'.  I think he'll be given another season at least.  And also I don't think they'd have a clue on what to do next if they did get rid anyway.  And they probably know that.

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 10:28:28 pm »
Sorry about the broad brush thing. What I meant to say is a bunch of shit people support Liverpool. Not at all that all people that support Liverpool are shit. My personal feeling is that the majority of people that support Liverpool are fantastic but the bunch that are loudest on the internet are indeed crap.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 10:29:18 pm »
Brendan isn't getting sacked.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Online robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 10:30:31 pm »
I'm genuinely speechless. Very touching OP. Truly honest and truthful words.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 10:32:42 pm »
Sorry about the broad brush thing. What I meant to say is a bunch of shit people support Liverpool. Not at all that all people that support Liverpool are shit. My personal feeling is that the majority of people that support Liverpool are fantastic but the bunch that are loudest on the internet are indeed crap.

Aye sometimes you gotta take the net with the proverbial pinch of salt.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 10:36:37 pm »
*applause*
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 10:39:20 pm »
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 10:39:31 pm »
This is brilliant.

Though I think we should force POP to post once during a match just to make sure he isn't actually Brendan Rodgers. ;)

Offline stardorman

• Very gullible, please avoid showing him photoshops
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • working in a coal mine, going down, down, down..
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 10:41:58 pm »
Thats simply a fantastic post..

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 10:43:04 pm »
Superb. Sums it up doesn't it. I dispair at some of the fanbase.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 10:47:09 pm »
This is brilliant.

Though I think we should force POP to post once during a match just to make sure he isn't actually Brendan Rodgers. ;)

;D

Yes. Lovely bit of writing. Really lovely.
Yep.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 10:58:11 pm »
I think it perfectly reminds us of two things:
1) the fan base has changed. inexporably and steadily
2) the media has fuelled that change to a degree.

I think there's a longer post about it to be had, but basically where we once talked as a group in the pub and got our frustrations out our system with some wise arl arse telling to shut the fuck up, we now sit solitary at a keyboard thinking our thoughts are the right ones and he who shouts most emphatically is the rightest! Witness the politicians we have, the press we have and so on.

There is a different kind of fan today and a willing outlet for their bollocks. RAWK is guilty of being a conduit of that, as are many other sites, because the internet is an open sewer in that respect.

Amen to the long game.
The long term.
The proper firms.
Those that wait
and do not hate.

But nod and know.
It'll come, but slow.
Yep.

Offline GODS LEFT BOOT

• Legacy Fan
  • ...AND THE SWEET SILVER SONG OF THE LARK
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 11:02:50 pm »
I remember too.

Anyone turning on the manager should be treated as if they have stated that they believe in unicorns.
If my assistant had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off goalkeeper Patr Cheh. he beeped me to signal the foul. The noise from the crowd  stopped me hearing it, I have been involved at places like Barcelona, Ibrox, Old Trafford, Arsenal, but I've never in my life been involved in such an atmosphere. IT WAS INCREDIBLE

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 11:04:21 pm »
I remember too.

Anyone turning on the manager should be treated as if they have stated that they believe in unicorns.

Plenty of unicorn believers on here this time last season.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 11:07:44 pm »
I absolutely love PoP's stuff with the diagrams and thingummybobs because it helps me to at least try and understand things about the game that I don't fully comprehend, especially  for me, since going to Anfield or watching the telly is through red tinted blinkers with a one track mind. But this is probably my favourite all because I can feel the passion and intensity in every word. Hats off to you sir. 
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 11:08:11 pm »
People might say he should be pragmatic, but these are probably the very same people who thought Houllier should be playing a more expansive type of football. Rodgers is certainly an idealist, but I applaud that. I want young kids to look at Liverpool playing and say "I want to play like that. I want to be good enough for a Rodgers team". Just like I did when I watched Roy Evans' teams play. It's not enough, for me, to just win trophies. We could be a great cup team and do that (and that's not a criticism of Kenny. I'm talking long-term, over the next ten years). I want a Liverpool team to be like the greatest ones - a team that wins, but shows other teams, coaches and players the way the game should be played. We've missed that for two decades. Rodgers is a man who can bring that. He needs improvements. I certainly won't deny that. But if people are already damning his reign 7 months into the job where we are looking at very discrete moments that could have changed our season, then I don't know the Liverpool fanbase anymore.

Great, great post. I agree with every word on Rodgers especially.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 11:12:06 pm »
Let's give the lad a chance to build his own team eh?, getting rid of Hodgson after 6 months was right, as the results and football were appalling,
results are patchy with Rodgers but the football is nearly always of a high standard, yes there's a bit of work needed, but definite improvement.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2013, 11:20:47 pm »
Cracker of a post. I'm sure everyone has doubts. I'm sure there's been doubts about most managers, whether that's before they had even completed a match, or before they've completed a season. It's about stability and making sure that this young manager has the best environment to succeed in. Best environment to fulfil his potential. You only need to look down from Shankly onwards how the footballing environment is probably the most crucial thing for a manager to succeed with.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 11:28:44 pm »
I think it perfectly reminds us of two things:
1) the fan base has changed. inexporably and steadily
2) the media has fuelled that change to a degree.

I think there's a longer post about it to be had, but basically where we once talked as a group in the pub and got our frustrations out our system with some wise arl arse telling to shut the fuck up, we now sit solitary at a keyboard thinking our thoughts are the right ones and he who shouts most emphatically is the rightest! Witness the politicians we have, the press we have and so on.

There is a different kind of fan today and a willing outlet for their bollocks. RAWK is guilty of being a conduit of that, as are many other sites, because the internet is an open sewer in that respect.

Amen to the long game.
The long term.
The proper firms.
Those that wait
and do not hate.

But nod and know.
It'll come, but slow.

this is also a brilliant summation of how things are now.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 11:33:37 pm »
I absolutely love PoP's stuff with the diagrams and thingummybobs because it helps me to at least try and understand things about the game that I don't fully comprehend, especially  for me, since going to Anfield or watching the telly is through red tinted blinkers with a one track mind. But this is probably my favourite all because I can feel the passion and intensity in every word. Hats off to you sir. 

Over the last few days I have done a lot of agreeing with Macca and Chopper...it frightens me but it's all good. :D

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 11:35:10 pm »
Let's give the lad a chance to build his own team eh?, getting rid of Hodgson after 6 months was right, as the results and football were appalling,
results are patchy with Rodgers but the football is nearly always of a high standard, yes there's a bit of work needed, but definite improvement.

While I've no qualms about giving him time and while this response is not in keeping with the gist of the thread, it has to be said that the football is not great and results are not a lot better than Hodgson's.  Football to watch is better but not great either.  So I suppose the question is improvement over what?

Obviously give it till the end of the season but save a great (& unlikely) turnaround at Anfield next week the seasons over.

Offline Liquorice

• Kemlynite
  • On the rocks
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 11:37:12 pm »
I think you miss the point about Hodgson.

It wasn't results and the style of football,it was his continuous framing of everything he did in the context of his career and never to the benefit of the team or the club.

Not a Liverpool manager in spirit.

Great post.

Offline Titan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 11:38:02 pm »
Brilliant stuff.

We may finish 6th this season, we may finish 10th, but it's important that our fans get behind a talented young manager giving everything he can to make us a success. He has said that he wants to make us compete again, playing the football that we love. Let's give him the time to prove himself right.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 11:42:46 pm by Titan »

Offline tax_man

• Kopite
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 11:47:39 pm »
That post is the finest I've read in about 7 years of visiting this forum.

The post match threads here really sadden me because 90% of them are not at all in line with the values of this club, and the values passed on from generation to generation, from my granddad to my dad, and my dad to me.

I just wish that line of thinking could be the consensus.

I'd like to think that we haven't changed an awful lot though. Had the medium of an Internet forum and twitter been around in the 70s and 80s then I'm sure we'd have witnessed public knee jerk reactions then too. I'd like to think most posters in the post-match threads regret their posts after a nights sleep.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 11:50:01 pm »
Brilliant stuff.

We may finish 6th this season, we may finish 10th, but it's important that our fans get behind a talented young manager giving everything he can to make us a success. He has said that he wants to make us compete again, playing the football that we love. Let's give him the time to prove him right.

What makes you think he's a 'talented young manager'?  I'll give you 'young manager', fair enough.  But where is there evidence he's 'talented'?  We generally always competed, even last season.  Chelsea and City away for instance? 

Anyone can come in and say we will play total football or play like Barca etc.  But the truth is in delivery.  One season at Swansea does not a 'talented young manager' make.

I'd love it if he done what many on here believe he'll do.  But there's a lot of blind faith thrown around in here.

I don't think he will to be honest.  That's down to combination of results, performances, signings, tactics, etc, to date.  Would love to be wrong, but don't think I will be.

royhendo

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 11:56:44 pm »
...the football is not great...

Some of the football we've played has been the best since 09 for me. The problems are structural and with time we'll gain consistency. That would have been true of Kenny too. Hodgson too, in fact. Until we settle, our form will fluctuate. If our competitors commit better than we do, that'll hurt us more than it is now. We're lucky that we only have to stomach a short spell of growing pains. It could have been far worse. We almost went down the gurgler.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2013, 11:57:43 pm »
This could be a really interesting thread if we could park the stuff about what our fan base has become. I honestly think this has more to do with a very vocal minority appearing to represent what the majority think. But that's all i've got to say on that.

On Rodgers I am very much in agreement that he needs more time. Broadly speaking I am extremely positive about Rodgers as a managers and I suspect that's something many are not vocal about but in agreement with.  I am not certain Rodgers himself will be successful (I think it's too early to judge) but I almost certain that at the end of his reign he'll be able to say he left us in a better place and for me that's a start. Actually I honestly believe regardless of how successful Rodgers is himself. Rodgers will be one of Liverpool's most important managers setting us on a path to success.

In saying all that I have concerns with the style of play and some about the individual choices he's made. Isn't that the point of being a fan here on RAWK though? It's the reason I like posting. In my case the support of our the manager isn't in doubt, and I understand his project was never going to bear fruit in the first season nor am I passing judgement on performance. But I will debate the decisions to date, speculate on why or why not I think they will prove successful. I understand what I know of football is a thimble of water to Rodgers ocean. But that doesn't make it any less enjoyable for me, at times I'll be scathing, at other times very positive. That for me is what being a Liverpool fan and visiting RAWK is all about.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 11:59:55 pm by DanA »
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2013, 12:00:14 am »
It's true that our fan base has changed over the years. I'm just wondering if we hadn't won CL in 2005, how things would be. We certainly picked up quite a few supporters after the best comeback of all time. Like some of you, I'm bound to Liverpool FC the way a parent is bound to his or her child/children. Unconditional love. Call it blind love but who cares. For better or worse, I'm there.

Yes, it is painful to watch the last 2 games. It became more painful when there is expectation. Expectation that we'll go on a good run and challenge for 4th spot. I know Rodgers said second but I'm a realist. We finished 8th last season. We don't suddenly come to be world beaters within a season especially it is quite evident that we "lost the plot" on the pitch towards the end of last season. Again, it was expectation which killed our last season and put an end to King Kenny's second reign. There were tantalising promises and potential from the season before when he was a caretaker manager. We played some of the best fluid football in recent times. Then the wholesale personnel changes went pear shape. But would you have guessed that most of Kenny's buys are now in the starting XI?

Time. That's the element that the internet-savvy "I want it now" generation of supporters does not afford. Instant gratification wanted. Any less need not apply. Imagine if Fergie was given the sack after two seasons. In fact, he came good in his fifth. And here we're talking 7 months.

Get some perspective.

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2013, 12:07:04 am »
While I've no qualms about giving him time and while this response is not in keeping with the gist of the thread, it has to be said that the football is not great and results are not a lot better than Hodgson's.  Football to watch is better but not great either.  So I suppose the question is improvement over what?

Obviously give it till the end of the season but save a great (& unlikely) turnaround at Anfield next week the seasons over.

I agree that the football is not great, but there are aspects of our football that are great. I can see improvement in our players, I can see improvement in our play. But for my mind the squad is still  very much in transition. Too few goal scorers and lacking experience.  Area's Rodgers has identified and will address when he gets the chance.

I also agree the season is over, but then I always thought the season was over before it begun. Two season in the last five I have not placed a single bet on Liverpool.  This season and the season Hodgson took over. Hodgson because I didn't see him winning anything and Rodgers because he's having to take a massive step back to move forward.

He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2013, 12:07:17 am »
Some of the football we've played has been the best since 09 for me. The problems are structural and with time we'll gain consistency. That would have been true of Kenny too. Hodgson too, in fact. Until we settle, our form will fluctuate. If our competitors commit better than we do, that'll hurt us more than it is now. We're lucky that we only have to stomach a short spell of growing pains. It could have been far worse. We almost went down the gurgler.

If you want my honest opinion, we got rid of Hodgson far too soon. He has shown that with a decent set of players and a bit of time (in the England role) his methods are not completely negative. Agreed, he didn't get the club, which is probably why none (or very few) of the supporters got behind him.

That's in the past and we also ditched Kenny too soon - which is also in the past, so we really don't want to make the same bloody mistake again. Brendan is doing a lot of good, but also making mistakes. We have to give him the time to get the team he needs to work to his plan before we start throwing the baby out with the bathwater again.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2013, 12:07:31 am »

Well I'll have to disagree there.  I think the football we played in the first half of last season trumped it easily.  And I know we almost went down the pan.  But that's almost used now as a 'get out of jail' card for every bad performance/result.  But surely things have now moved on, it's been 2.5yrs now with FSG.  Reminds me of the Tories still blaming Labour for every dodgy event that happens.

I agree there are structural problems, and continue to be, from the ownership down.  Club has problems from top to bottom.  Feel sorry for Rodgers in certain respects given the environment in which he's attempting to operate.  But then there are still basic mistakes being made on the playing side of things which can't really be attributed to structure or anything else.

Time will tell.  But like it or not and it's a cliche, but it's a results driven business.

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2013, 12:08:28 am »
It's true that our fan base has changed over the years. I'm just wondering if we hadn't won CL in 2005, how things would be. We certainly picked up quite a few supporters after the best comeback of all time. Like some of you, I'm bound to Liverpool FC the way a parent is bound to his or her child/children. Unconditional love. Call it blind love but who cares. For better or worse, I'm there.

Yes, it is painful to watch the last 2 games. It became more painful when there is expectation. Expectation that we'll go on a good run and challenge for 4th spot. I know Rodgers said second but I'm a realist. We finished 8th last season. We don't suddenly come to be world beaters within a season especially it is quite evident that we "lost the plot" on the pitch towards the end of last season. Again, it was expectation which killed our last season and put an end to King Kenny's second reign. There were tantalising promises and potential from the season before when he was a caretaker manager. We played some of the best fluid football in recent times. Then the wholesale personnel changes went pear shape. But would you have guessed that most of Kenny's buys are now in the starting XI?

Time. That's the element that the internet-savvy "I want it now" generation of supporters does not afford. Instant gratification wanted. Any less need not apply. Imagine if Fergie was given the sack after two seasons. In fact, he came good in his fifth. And here we're talking 7 months.

Get some perspective.

I wonder if RAWK closed registration again and banned 15 vocal posters that give knee jerk responses. Would our perception of the fan base be different? IMO it would.

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2013, 12:12:50 am »

The season is over? Not for me. I enjoy watching Liverpool play and I believe they are scheduled to do so until May.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2013, 12:14:43 am »

The season is over? Not for me. I enjoy watching Liverpool play and I believe they are scheduled to do so until May.

Facetious response.  I mean in terms of achievements as you well know.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2013, 12:14:45 am »

You'd think so wouldn't you?

It actually is a fabulous response. Imagine if the players believed the season was over.  We'd end up finishing in the bottom half of the table. Fans need to push them every game and enough of this bollocks defeatist attitude. Maybe it comforts you to believe that so any defeats won't hurt as much, but no way. I want us to get a result every game and I'm really disappointed if we don't. Not intending to come across as 'superfan'ish. Just really hate it when people say the season is over.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 12:18:17 am by Bakez0151 »

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2013, 12:16:56 am »
What makes you think he's a 'talented young manager'?  I'll give you 'young manager', fair enough.  But where is there evidence he's 'talented'?  We generally always competed, even last season.  Chelsea and City away for instance? 

City away? If you mean the dour match where we parked the bus like Chelsea then I don't get it. We outplayed City in both matches this season so if you're holding up that game as an example then I don't understand.

We have certainly competed this season and I'm surprised some haven't taken notice of that. All the true football experts of the world are singing the praises of the green shoots of Brendan Rodgers' Liverpool and they normally love to skewer us at every turn.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2013, 12:21:03 am »
If he wasn't a talented young manager then he wouldn't be managing us. That's not to say he's guaranteed to be an amazing manager, but he is where he is because he's achieved a considerable amount to get to being appointed Liverpool FC manager. He's worked his way up through the coaching world into managing in the Premier League. Definitely talented.

Do you know there was a poll on the most popular Everton fan forum last season who they would want to replace David Moyes if he went? Guess who won.