Author Topic: Tempted to Quit RAWK  (Read 12174 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Tempted to Quit RAWK
« on: October 5, 2021, 12:13:01 am »
The toxicity in this place is becoming too much. It's not just lines in the sand, it's people at each other's throats. Disagreements are one thing; disliking individuals is inevitable. This is outright hate, and I don't want any part of that.

Too many high horses, accusations all over the place; being nice in one thread and a complete bastard in another. And nothing seems to resolve it. There's only so many times you can lock a thread.

People shouldn't be afraid to voice opinions. Yeah, it's the internet, but in a place like this you'd think people would know better. But then I'm almost certainly guilty of piling on too.

Not sure if I can turn to this place and ask for support anymore, when there's all this black and white thinking going on. Really thinking of scrambling my own password to remove the temptation to try and log back in..

Without tolerance, on all sides, we'll rip this place - and each other - to shreds. I'd rather not bear witness to that.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: Tempted to Quit RAWK
« Reply #1 on: October 5, 2021, 12:50:27 am »
Stick around mate. You're a good poster who I always enjoy reading.

There just seems to be a number of emotive topics current at the moment, and they can see feelings boiling over at times. I do know what you mean though. I've binned sites off in the past when they've become more negative than I care to be around. My tolerance for toxicity is low these days. I just don't need it.

I've had a number of people on ignore when I posted on mental health forums, but I've never put anyone on RAWK on ignore. We all have our own tolerance levels though.

I've always found this site supportive. People like yourself make it so. The occasional venom in emotive topics sometimes comes as a bit of a suprise, and I sometimes find it annoying when it results in thread locks, but I suppose that happens on most, if not all, forums from time to time. Regardless of anything, I still think there is a good, supportive aspect on this site when people feel they need that support.

Anyway, I do hope you stick around. The site is better for having you here.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #2 on: October 5, 2021, 12:53:32 am »
I guess we all see things differently. This is the internet and the majority hide behind user names. But given the other options of non moderated sites, then I’m thankful to the mods to make it as good as it is. I’ve seen your posts Red Berry all over RAWK and I like your posts. Just try to skim past the crud and I accept nothing on the internet is perfect.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 5, 2021, 12:59:52 am »
Keep away from the main board and politics sub forums and you're set mate.

It's always the same ones who are at the centre of this crap as well. The mods should fuck them off really.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #4 on: October 5, 2021, 01:34:01 am »
I have a couple on ignore list, but not helped that you see there post when they're quoted by someone else, other forums have a format were the post by a member on your ignore list is blocked even when the post is quoted.

The politics threads are really toxic right now, i'm surprised they haven't been locked, i tend to stay away from the main forum for the amount of shit that gets posted, most of the rest of the threads are ok, i'm all for a pisstake, but i did have a go some for being obsessed in going into another teams forum & paste & copying the latest posts from the loons on that forum over on here, it wasn't entertaining anymore.
#Sausages

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #5 on: October 5, 2021, 01:42:17 am »
The toxicity in this place is becoming too much. It's not just lines in the sand, it's people at each other's throats. Disagreements are one thing; disliking individuals is inevitable. This is outright hate, and I don't want any part of that.

Too many high horses, accusations all over the place; being nice in one thread and a complete bastard in another. And nothing seems to resolve it. There's only so many times you can lock a thread.

People shouldn't be afraid to voice opinions. Yeah, it's the internet, but in a place like this you'd think people would know better. But then I'm almost certainly guilty of piling on too.

Not sure if I can turn to this place and ask for support anymore, when there's all this black and white thinking going on. Really thinking of scrambling my own password to remove the temptation to try and log back in..

Without tolerance, on all sides, we'll rip this place - and each other - to shreds. I'd rather not bear witness to that.

In all seriousness, I find the lack of seriousness and the wit of the occasional barb plus the  running RAWK gags to be a real value of this digital place.

Don't disagree at all that the outright hate is too much to tolerate.

But there is a real quality to the humo(u)r round these parts, might make it worth persisting. Absolutely agree with SoS, hope you hang around, site would be all the poorer should you choose to go...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 5, 2021, 01:45:47 am »
I have a couple on ignore list, but not helped that you see there post when they're quoted by someone else, other forums have a format were the post by a member on your ignore list is blocked even when the post is quoted.

The politics threads are really toxic right now, i'm surprised they haven't been locked, i tend to stay away from the main forum for the amount of shit that gets posted, most of the rest of the threads are ok, i'm all for a pisstake, but i did have a go some for being obsessed in going into another teams forum & paste & copying the latest posts from the loons on that forum over on here, it wasn't entertaining anymore.

Aye, can't stand the copy and pasting of what some dickhead on GOT says about us.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 5, 2021, 03:12:03 am »
Keep away from the main board and politics sub forums and you're set mate.

It's always the same ones who are at the centre of this crap as well. The mods should fuck them off really.

I make the mistake of opening the politics sub forums occasionally then remind myself to keep away again.

There was a time when there was blatant bullying of a member, for instance, but nothing was done about it. The guy doesn’t have a bad bone in his body either.

A lot of the problems stem from certain people thinking their opinions are far more important and wanting to shout down others. And quite a few people, decent posters, have left RAWK. BabuYagu was one of the smartest people on here, but he’s been driven away by people who troll every post that contains stats or numbers. They think we should just discuss football with prose and romance. I love reading all styles. There’s a place for both, but imagine the uproar if the long prose posts (which always contain inaccuracies due to unreliable memories, let’s be fair, but so what) were trolled...

(Also, we shouldn’t post when drunk  ;D)

Red Berry, don’t leave. RAWK would lose one of its good’uns.
« Last Edit: October 5, 2021, 03:15:43 am by Peabee »
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #8 on: October 5, 2021, 07:48:47 am »
Block the bellends & don't read quoted posts.
Works a treat.
You're a good'n fella, just take a break for a bit.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: October 5, 2021, 08:21:27 am »
Another one here who values your posts and what you contribute to RAWK.

Hope you reflect that many on here clearly feel that way and would be genuinely sad to see you leave.

Walk away from it for a little while maybe and recharge. But don't forget to come back !

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #10 on: October 5, 2021, 08:25:13 am »
I just stalk Capon, works well

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: October 5, 2021, 08:52:57 am »

I`ve recently put my first person on Ignore (i can`t even recall who, but it`s not you mate), and could not care less if someone has done that to me. It`s all fine. I suggest you are selective about whose views you respect.

I also enjoy your input, so don`t go quitting over some numpties!
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 5, 2021, 09:05:20 am »
Leave the Gun, Take the Cannoli. Football doesn't hold the same meaning for me anymore but I still dip in and out of the site. Lots of good, helpful guys still here. Just steer clear of the politics thread and life will be better.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 5, 2021, 09:05:47 am »
Paul, there's a discussion going on in the staff room about this exact subject mate.
Hang on in there.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 5, 2021, 09:08:58 am »
What I'm seeing here goes far beyond handbags. It's factionalism. Differences of opinion or political thinking is one thing, but I see an "Us and Them" schism on the board. No fence sitting allowed; "The Other", "That which is not us".

Everyone is responsible to varying degrees, because everyone engaged in the community holds a responsibility.  That's why I'm calling it out. People need to start moderating themselves.

That's not censoring their viewpoint so that everyone gets on; but giving serious thought as to whether what they're saying (or going to say) and how they're planning to say it, is going to be constructive.

I shouldn't fucking have to avoid parts of this forum like it's some scally ridden slum. And even the most well written post can be caustic and abusive.

This place shouldn't be about picking sides. It was barely a year ago we were all hugging (online) and saying how much we love each other and this club. Now I'm seeing shit that basically says, "if you don't agree with this opinion, you're not a real fan".

People are lobbing rocks in a greenhouse showroom, and it needs dialling back.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 5, 2021, 09:31:02 am »
First of all don't quit mate, I really like your posts. But I was actually thinking something similar, the tipping point was the politics thread, but some of the negativity on the main board is another reason for me.

The easier one first and there's 2 issues for me; there's a core of persistently negative sky's falling in type posters that while they may say they understand that we are at a pretty high watermark as a club, their posts don't reflect that.
Then there's some newer posters that seem to make very little attempt to learn about us as a club and a City, and also to learn about this place.

The politics thread; It's actually depressed me a bit reading it, I don't want to get into the detail here because its not the place and I know it's had its moments in the past, but the last few days....

The most important line is in your second post, and it's the one about people moderating themselves.

Don't quit, you're one of the good ones, but I completely understand why you've said what you have.

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #16 on: October 5, 2021, 09:54:05 am »
Paul, there's a discussion going on in the staff room about this exact subject mate.
Hang on in there.
Déjà vu

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #17 on: October 5, 2021, 10:02:54 am »
Don’t quit Paul, I know this place has helped you at times. Take some time away if needed, or just steer clear from some of the threads you know will be full of aggro but don’t delete in haste and then find you miss it!

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 5, 2021, 10:08:36 am »
What I will add, is that some have come to place their own opinion, or their private wars with other posters, above the community.

I don't mean that in a derogatory or accusatory manner. It's just an observation that people develop such tunnel vision that they don't stop to think whether they should say their piece or bite their tongue. Anger might be perfectly justified, but nobody in their right mind wants to be angry.

I've walked away from many discussions and let someone else have the last word. I hated it, but it wasn't worth the mental and emotional energy dragging it out. And if you delve into a discussion randomly and make an (to you) innocuous observation, without realising there's several pages of already heated discussion, the blowback can be savage.

People on here need to realise that these running battles are making parts of the community no-go areas. This isn't about people overreacting on emotive subjects. If people can't self regulate then everybody suffers.

I don't want to block people I actually like simply because of certain topics. I already have at least half a dozen on my block list - anymore and I won't be reading anything anyway!

Popcorn's Art

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #19 on: October 5, 2021, 10:12:57 am »
Like a few have mentioned, the political & News threads are a quagmire of shite full of angry bastards who seem to think they can talk how they want to other posters. They should all be fucked off like Samie has said. Every now n then i pop my head in there and its the same shite by the same people. Its almost like they all think theyre wearing Harry Potters Cloak of invisibilty and it wont be picked up on. Either that or they dont give a fuck what the mods think

Stick around Red Berry ya soft get. Youll outlast the negative shite. Cos in the films they always lose or die so youve got that to look forward to

Online AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #20 on: October 5, 2021, 10:14:00 am »
Years ago I was guilty of occasionally dropping in here, simply because I was younger, busier, probably slightly more immature. Then, as you grow older and wiser you realise the numerous nuggets of gold hidden away in here, those wise-heads, those who are on the same wave-length and have the same mindset as you.

Things happen in your life and you find yourself reaching out to these guys for advice and support. Reading back through my own posts, I’ve come here for support after losing my mum, buying a house, falling out with friends, dealing with mingebags (everyone loved that one). I’ll never underestimate the power of RAWK.

That said, lately, there has been some really heavy subjects, Covid, Black Lives Matter and Sarah Everard. I’ve read some posts off people and thought, “you’re full of shit!”, but at the same time I’ve read posts and literally cried my eyes out.
Sometimes you see a subject and everyone is practically posting what people want to hear, part of you is a bit reluctant to give your own opinion in case you are called out by others.

Whilst I would encourage anyone on RAWK to voice their opinion, you would say there is a way of going about it. I guess the best way I can put it is, would you post something on here that you would stand in a pub and say?

Again, goes without saying that I want you stay and carry on posting, but with you on whatever you choose.

All the best
Andy 
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #21 on: October 5, 2021, 10:17:56 am »
I just stalk Capon, works well
Was that you who  took my undies off the washing line?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #22 on: October 5, 2021, 10:21:38 am »
Personally, I find the politics threads the most entertaining on here, most likely because I don't really have much skin in the game on that front.  RAWK is miles away from the real toxicity you can find elsewhere on the internet.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 5, 2021, 10:24:36 am »
Probably the wash basket, he doesn't like 'em clean.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #24 on: October 5, 2021, 10:25:14 am »
;D

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #25 on: October 5, 2021, 10:25:26 am »

:D

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #26 on: October 5, 2021, 10:25:40 am »

Wearing them on my head as i type

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #27 on: October 5, 2021, 10:50:06 am »

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 5, 2021, 10:58:28 am »
Personally, I find the politics threads the most entertaining on here, most likely because I don't really have much skin in the game on that front.  RAWK is miles away from the real toxicity you can find elsewhere on the internet.

I've always found RAWK (mostly) a haven compared to the level of toxicity you find on Twitter and other social media. Only gripe is there does seem to be two main camps that often dominate and derail so many discussions in the main forum - moaners, and people who moan about the moaners. I find them both as tiresome as eachother.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 5, 2021, 10:59:00 am »

This is my feeling too. I know it's not for everyone but RAWK Politics threads are a bastion of common sense and civility compared to most places on the internet. That said, it has been very unpleasant the last few days but I think before that, there was quite a long periojd where I think it was working quite well for a sustained period of time. Think we have just seen a few issues in the last week on that people understandanbly have very strong feelings on that have come up around the same time so it has just escalated. Hopefully it will settle down.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 5, 2021, 11:09:40 am »
I just don't take RAWK as seriously as others seem to do. It's a forum on the internet at the end of the day.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #31 on: October 5, 2021, 11:10:03 am »

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #32 on: October 5, 2021, 11:14:41 am »
I pick and choose a lot on here. I'm a lot more active on some boards than others, and tend to skim through for decent posts on the main board of the politics board. The minute you see the same 2 posters quoting each other it's time to exit the thread as it's hardly going to be worth reading.

The internet is massively full of this or that only, opinions wise now. The Insulate Britain debate being a prime example. I read posts (not just on here, but social media and news sites) on both sides and they are just so one minded, it was inevitable that kind of thinking made it's way on to RAWK. The reasoned debate seems impossible now, everyone has become stubborn c*nts. You can sense when threads are on their way to being locked long before it happens, because people won't back down on what they say or take someone opinion and it turns into hyperbole.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 5, 2021, 11:14:43 am »
*Checks post history*

Nope,nothing to do with me
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #34 on: October 5, 2021, 11:16:17 am »
Be funny if the posters on red berry’s ignore list were the only ones posting in here

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
#Sausages

Online Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #36 on: October 5, 2021, 11:37:03 am »
Be funny if the posters on red berry’s ignore list were the only ones posting in here
I don't think he'll see this mate, want me to quote you?  ;)

I find RAWK actually better than most sites and it's basically the only one I participate on, I'd hope a few gaping arseholes wouldn't ruin the entire experience. There's only two posters I don't interact with, because any difference of opinion is taken as an affront and a challenge, but generally I feel it's a good lot. I've been guilty myself of getting a touch emotive in the past, but tend not to try to attack others as is sometimes the case.

And let's not mistake challenging unacceptable behaviour as being part of that troublesome bunch, RAWK's good for calling out the nobheads.

Stick around mate, take a break if you can.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #37 on: October 5, 2021, 11:49:35 am »

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #38 on: October 5, 2021, 11:49:53 am »
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #39 on: October 5, 2021, 11:59:00 am »
One thing I've noticed is the uncritical quoting of Twitter by simply quoting a link without out any context.

Rarely contributes to a reasoned debate.