Author Topic: Coutinho  (Read 505670 times)

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Re: Coutinho
« Reply #7640 on: May 4, 2020, 04:38:43 pm »
Sahin and Kagawa didn’t act like pricks and purposely try and disrupt the team right before a massive game, and feign injury though, so not really the same in that large regard. Plus the money involved in getting them back was far less.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #7641 on: May 4, 2020, 04:51:27 pm »
Sahin and Kagawa didn’t act like pricks and purposely try and disrupt the team right before a massive game, and feign injury though, so not really the same in that large regard. Plus the money involved in getting them back was far less.
The same in stature, I meant. Not same situation off the pitch.

I don't think anyone at the club is mad with Coutinho to the point where we wouldn't sign him if we think he'd make a good signing. But he doesn't really fits our system, he's not the youngest, and would probably be over-priced, so he'll most likely wouldn't.

Sahin and Kagawa returned on cheap deals and fit Klopp's tactic. Dortmund weren't really in the same place as we are (or were, pre-coronavirus) to make a lot of massive deals for top-top players, so they made a decent signing. That's what sets them apart from Coutinho imo.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7642 on: May 20, 2020, 03:22:37 pm »
At this stage I feel I'd be okay if he ended up at another English club to be honest, he's a bit of a luxury player who doesn't have the productivity to justify it any more.

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #7643 on: May 20, 2020, 03:28:47 pm »
At this stage I feel I'd be okay if he ended up at another English club to be honest, he's a bit of a luxury player who doesn't have the productivity to justify it any more.

I tend to agree, could not care less to see him play for another club in the PL.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #7644 on: May 20, 2020, 10:15:46 pm »
Imagine leaving Liverpool to "fulfill" your dream while they end up winning almost everything in sight after you leave, falling flat on your arse at Barcelona and Bayern and then signing for Newcastle. Ouch. And if they do end up being a City Mk II it'll be years before they turn into a force so he'll just end up picking up a paycheck before he's shifted yet again for a younger footballer whose star is much higher than his.

Offline Mr Benn please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 123456789 Benn
« Reply #7645 on: May 28, 2020, 04:01:52 pm »
Imagine leaving Liverpool to "fulfill" your dream while they end up winning almost everything in sight after you leave, falling flat on your arse at Barcelona and Bayern and then signing for Newcastle. Ouch. And if they do end up being a City Mk II it'll be years before they turn into a force so he'll just end up picking up a paycheck before he's shifted yet again for a younger footballer whose star is much higher than his.
While Barca and Bayern haven't really worked out, he's still likely to end up with league winners medals from both and possibly the Champions League with Bayern this season too. So not sure it could be described as falling flat on his arse. However, if he could turn the clock back he'd probably wish he'd never left Liverpool.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7646 on: May 28, 2020, 08:44:03 pm »
While Barca and Bayern haven't really worked out, he's still likely to end up with league winners medals from both and possibly the Champions League with Bayern this season too. So not sure it could be described as falling flat on his arse. However, if he could turn the clock back he'd probably wish he'd never left Liverpool.

As a bench warmer both times.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7647 on: May 28, 2020, 08:59:55 pm »

Micheal Owen levels of medal winning.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7648 on: May 29, 2020, 10:44:52 am »
I think someone with his ability should have won those anyway while having more influence.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7649 on: May 29, 2020, 10:51:51 am »

Michael Owen Mk 2. What's the point in the medals if you know your contribution was marginal at best? Yeah, Shaqiri for us is a bit part player, but he wasn't brought in to be the supposed lynchpin of a side costing £140m.

I realise Coutinho gave us five years, but he chose to leave just as things were starting to get exciting to go join a team he knew was entering a transition phase. It was all about the name of the club. Quite sure regrets it.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #7650 on: May 29, 2020, 11:31:56 am »
He should've joined a big club.......

Offline Mr Benn please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 123456789 Benn
« Reply #7651 on: May 29, 2020, 12:47:58 pm »
It's nice to be talking about football again!

I'm not sure I agree with the Micheal Owen comparisons. He joined the Mancs at the end of his career, quite clearly to win a few medals, and apart from a last minute winner against Man City, my only other memory of him at Man Utd is of him fully kitted up ready to celebrate another title win at Norwich before Aguero's winner for City against QPR. He played 31 times for them in 3 seasons, most off the bench and scored 5 times. Coutinho played 52 games for Barca in a season and  half, and so far has played 22 times for Bayern. His goals stats (13 and 8 respectively) are not massively different to his time at Liverpool 41 in 152. Roughly 1 every 3-4 games. I must admit, I don't watch the German or Spanish leagues much, so am assuming that quite a few of the goals might have been late in games after coming on as sub, so perhaps some similarities with Owen there. I also agree that based on his transfer fee he has underperformed.

I think what the last couple of years have shown, is that Phil isn't quite at the elite level of our front 3 or a regular starter in an elite level team. Had he stayed, he may well have been in a similar situation. I don't see who he would have displaced from the front 3 and he doesn't have the discipline to play in  Klopp midfield, so chances are he would have been on the bench quite a lot here too. Of course, we might not have won as much as we may not have been able to afford big Virg and Becker without the Coutinho transfer money. Getting that much for him was a masterstroke by Klopp and Edwards. 

He's 27 now, so going into his peak years, so will be interesting to see what he does next. In my opinion , he needs to go to club that is willing to build a team around his undoubted talent. Arsenal might be a good move, but they might be reluctant to pay big fees/wages post-Covid. Newcastle maybe if the takeover goes through and the new owners want to make a statement.  Would deffo be a drop from the clubs he's played for previously, so would depend on whether he's willing to take a step back to resurrect his career. If not, can see him going back to Barcelona.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #7652 on: May 29, 2020, 01:42:35 pm »

It was only when the likes of Ronaldinho began whispering in his ear about moving to Barcelona that he showed any interest. Every time he was on Brazilian international duty Ronaldinho would be talking about how he thought Coutinho should make the move there. I also suspect his arse of a agent wanted to earn some money on the deal as well.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #7653 on: June 4, 2020, 10:11:10 am »
It was only when the likes of Ronaldinho began whispering in his ear about moving to Barcelona that he showed any interest.
Wasn't it Messi and Busquets who didn't keep their trap shut about Coutinho in Barca?

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7654 on: June 4, 2020, 11:07:19 am »
Wasn't it Messi and Busquets who didn't keep their trap shut about Coutinho in Barca?
Couldn't find anything from Messi and Busquets, but I'm sure someone at Barcelona did. When they want a player, they always do. Ronaldinho (and Rivaldo) definitely encouraged him to join Barcelona.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #7655 on: June 4, 2020, 11:09:56 am »

Ronaldinho was the one who I remembered the most mentioning it, I'm sure others joined in as well though.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7656 on: June 14, 2020, 01:36:32 am »
Kevin Palmer saying that Coutinho’s agent has confirmed he wants to come back and will apparently take a pay cut to make it happen.

Coutinho has pleaded with Klopp to try and make it happen.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #7657 on: June 14, 2020, 02:26:53 am »
Kevin Palmer saying that Coutinho’s agent has confirmed he wants to come back and will apparently take a pay cut to make it happen.

Coutinho has pleaded with Klopp to try and make it happen.

Never going to happen. This is like Michael Owen Redux. He messed up. He ain't coming back under any circumstance. We've moved on. And the people wanting him back seem to have forgotten about the past few seasons.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #7658 on: June 14, 2020, 07:43:13 am »
Perfect Shaqiri replacement

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7659 on: June 14, 2020, 07:45:44 am »
Same story every year regarding Coutinho these days.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7660 on: June 14, 2020, 08:05:28 am »
I'm not sure but maybe he would be our Coutinho replacement

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #7661 on: June 14, 2020, 09:37:49 am »
He back might prevent him from passing the medical though...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7662 on: June 14, 2020, 09:48:19 am »
Not sure I'd take a player with a history of back injuries.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7663 on: June 14, 2020, 10:47:01 am »
Same story every year regarding Coutinho these days.

It's lazy journalism, same way we're linked with every Bundesliga player ever because Klopp is German, or how United are about to sign Ronaldo back every transfer window.

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #7664 on: June 14, 2020, 07:49:15 pm »
I can't seeing him coming back at a bench warmer, because let's be honest, he was a great impact player but you couldn't rely on him game in game out, and that's what Klopp demands.

Wouldn't like to see him play for an English rival though, I'd rather he stayed abroad and became a distant memory.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #7665 on: June 14, 2020, 07:58:22 pm »
I can't seeing him coming back at a bench warmer, because let's be honest, he was a great impact player but you couldn't rely on him game in game out, and that's what Klopp demands.

Wouldn't like to see him play for an English rival though, I'd rather he stayed abroad and became a distant memory.
He already has, Gaz. With him we were fighting for top four. After we sold him we've been fighting for the title and might have had one every year had it not been for 1.4cm.

I don't think that there is any chance whatsoever for Coutinho to come back to us. If we decide to entertain that Barca idea (hypothetically), they would want to remove the clause we have with them that they can't make a bid for our players for X years (was it 2-3?). I don't want to read all summer stupid Spanish stories from their sports media linking Mane and Salah with Real or Barca. We should stay away from those spoiled brats of football teams, don't touch them with a 10-foot pole.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7666 on: June 14, 2020, 08:02:29 pm »
Fuck him. Feigned injury the disrespectful prick.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7667 on: June 14, 2020, 08:10:52 pm »
If we passed on Werner then why the hell would we spend money on Coutinho??

Popcorn's Art

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7668 on: June 14, 2020, 09:19:36 pm »

We wouldn't be signing him, it would be a loan supposedly

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7669 on: June 14, 2020, 09:29:49 pm »

£10m loan fee with Barca paying half his wage for a year apparently.

Usual twatter bollocks though.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7670 on: June 14, 2020, 10:12:10 pm »
£10m loan fee with Barca paying half his wage for a year apparently.

Usual twatter bollocks though.

He's been there, what? Two and a half years? How long does he have left?

I agree it's all bollocks but the thought of him begging Klopp to come back gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling. Seems more likely Barca are using the threat of sending him to a rival, like Chelsea perhaps, to try and twist our arm.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Wesley Pipes

• Legacy Fan
  • PSN: WesleyP1pes
« Reply #7671 on: June 15, 2020, 08:19:18 am »
we've moved on but it would be nice to see Barcelona have to swallow a 20m transfer fee on a player that had over 140 spent on him

Would take him back if he started looking for the pass again as opposed to the hail mary goal but still would rather find a 20 year old version of him out there somewhere instead.

Online Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7672 on: June 15, 2020, 08:37:01 am »
If the manager wants him back then i support that 100%. If not then so be it.

Personally i'd rather see Curtis given more game time next season as i see massive potential there.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7673 on: June 15, 2020, 08:41:25 am »
The "back issues" still annoy me, but one way or another his sale is probably responsible for us being the team we are now....CL champions and PL champions elect.

Had he stayed I doubt we could have signed VVD and/or Allison.

He's 27 and a very good player. As much as his behaviour to force a move was a dick move, it did LFC no harm and if his return is low cost it may be a smart move in the covid climate. We all wanted Fekir and I'd suggest Coutinho is a better player in a similar position.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7674 on: June 15, 2020, 08:56:24 am »
His behaviour didn’t harm us because we’ve got a great manager and a great squad.

He joins the likes of Torres, Mascherano and Suarez who all left in pretty shitty circumstances except he’s the poster boy of what not to do as opposed to those who left and still got the big success they were craving. He didn’t leave us for the greater good, he signed a new contract and then fucked off shortly after.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7675 on: June 15, 2020, 09:07:50 am »
His behaviour didn’t harm us because we’ve got a great manager and a great squad.

He joins the likes of Torres, Mascherano and Suarez who all left in pretty shitty circumstances except he’s the poster boy of what not to do as opposed to those who left and still got the big success they were craving. He didn’t leave us for the greater good, he signed a new contract and then fucked off shortly after.

Think you should put Xabi instead of Torres, Torres got the trophies, but his reputation went downhill fast, unlike the others you mentioned.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7676 on: June 15, 2020, 10:16:18 am »
Think you should put Xabi instead of Torres, Torres got the trophies, but his reputation went downhill fast, unlike the others you mentioned.

And Owen. Although it's worth remembering that Torres only had a  bit-part at best in the silverware Chelsea won.

At least McManaman made it clear he wasn't going to sign a new deal, and went on to score a CL winning goal.

Popcorn's Art

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7677 on: June 15, 2020, 11:03:39 am »

Yeah but Xabi didn’t really leave under a cloud like the others. But yeah definitely Owen too.

He doesn’t even fit into this team anymore, that’s the main thing anyway above any other reason.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Judge Red

• Kopite
« Reply #7678 on: June 15, 2020, 02:17:18 pm »
It might just be me but there seems to be some misty eyed recollecting of Alonso’s departure. From memory there was a load of whining about tax in this country and schooling his kids in Spain before the Barry saga.

Anyway, I’m in the camp of saying thanks but no thanks to Phil. His actions weren’t those of someone you can rely on. Can’t see Klopp being inwardly impressed with that kind of behaviour even tough he will not give much away externally.

If we did re-sign him, without any fans in the kop, they will be safe from his 50 shots over the bar per game [emoji6]

Always a positive.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7679 on: June 15, 2020, 02:35:59 pm »
I think there is a fair amount of evidence to suggest that Coutinho doesn't have the right mentality to play for us now. His departure was a load of bollocks and as people have said his attempt to cause unrest in the dressing room and phantom back injuries are unforgivable. Might have cost us the European cup that season too.

Since then he's utterly failed in Barcelona and now Bayern, and been unable to break in to either team properly. Barcelona is a Messi centric madhouse but there was undoubtedly a role to be filled there, Bayern were crying out for new talent after Ribery and Robben left and it's other players who have filled that gap.

We've moved to another level since he left and he is simply not at that level, it's debatable if he ever really was.  He's not going to be first XI for us so what's the point?