Author Topic: 9/11  (Read 63230 times)

Offline Julio

• Legacy Fan
  • Brrrrrrr
Re: 9/11
« Reply #160 on: September 7, 2011, 12:03:07 pm »
Great post mate.

It was the second plane, wasn't it? Up until then you could believe that a terrible accident had taken place. I was at home and my wife, who'd been listening to the radio, shouted down to me that a plane had struck the WTC. A light aircraft it was said. I immediately remembered a story that someone once told me of a small plane accidentally flying into the Empire State building in the late 1930s.

But then the second plane. Christ almightly. Everything changed.

It's still changed. I'd say it was the biggest single historical event of my lifetime. I often think of it.

I remember the reports that it was a "light aircraft" on the news, and watched live as the second plane smashed into the other tower. It was just compulsive viewing. I was stunned for at least half an hour watching the live feed, but what really shook me out of that state and gave me a feeling of dread was when whatever tv channel I was watching got a buildings expert on the line who said he feared for the buildings themselves.

I had never given any thought to them actually coming down. When that report was broadcast, Christ I thought they were going to fall sideways.
"We do not want a single foot of foreign territory; but of our territory we shall not surrender a single inch to anyone"

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: September 7, 2011, 12:34:08 pm »
Was 11 at the time and remember coming home from school and switching on the Tv. Don't think anything in my life has ever been close to matching those scenes in terms of sheer chaos. Even at 11 I knew it was just one of those "remember where you were when" moments. I can remember being fixated on the screen all night, then the next day the teacher had brought in a load of newspapers and we all read about what had happened.

Still get shivers when the images are shown now, I think its the realization that what you are seeing is hundreds of people dying.  Definitely agree that it was one of those events that change the world.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: September 7, 2011, 12:35:47 pm »
was on way to game when i heard about it, breaking news as i started journey, didnt see images until got in The Park pub before game

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #163 on: September 7, 2011, 01:07:00 pm »
I was in Norway teaching on the day.
At breaktime, a colleague came and told me that a plane had crashed into the one of the towers and so we went and watched the coverage live on a TV.
We all assumed it was some kind of terrible accident, and I remember how we talked about how a B25 had crashed into the Empire State building years ago. There seemed to have been no confirmation of the plane type in the reports up till then and we just assumed it was some kind of tragic accident and that rescue operations would be well underway.
Then we watched as the second plane smashed in and we realised this was no accident but something far more sinister.
It was a truly mesmerising event that we just couldn't stop watching.
At the point of the buildings collapse, I do remember myself reminding colleagues that they had just seen several thousand people die and to spare a thought for them.
I had been planning to go to NY early that November with wife and kids to attend the wedding of a niece who lived there, but that plan dissolved in the uncertainty of the weeks that followed.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Doogie

• Anny Roader
« Reply #164 on: September 7, 2011, 01:26:49 pm »
In Fort Myers, Florida, on holiday. Woke up to watch Regis and Kelly at 8.45 ish and saw what looked like a movie trailer for a disaster movie. So kept watching, and then the 2nd tower got hit. At this point I'm thinking "this is a long movie trailer"...then I realised it was real. I ran out of the bedroom to my then gf and told her to put on the news. We just sat and watched. Her brother in law was in the US army and was in the Pentagon, when that got hit it became very real....many hours were spent trying to get in touch by mobile, hoping for news. Luckily there was some, he was in the other side of the building when it was hit and was ok.

The next few weeks were very odd, as a foreigner in the US you got to watch a real culture shift. Then the Anthrax terrorist scares/rumours started, and there was talk of anti anthrax injections for the public, I was wondering if I would get one, not being a US citizen. Then that guy got caught in Baton Rouge Florida, the one who had been posting Anthrax letters...scary shit.

Offline XabisMission

• Main Stander
  • Member of the "Cult of Rafa"
« Reply #165 on: September 7, 2011, 06:25:54 pm »
Just sorting stuff out for a move and found my Boa Vista ticket.... Anfield was a real strange atmosphere that night.
Hodgson just go, walk out the door, don't turn around now, coz you're not welcome anymore

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: September 7, 2011, 07:30:12 pm »
Bin Laden ; Shoot to kill on Ch4 at 9pm tonght ,behind the scenes footage of the operation to get Bin Laden
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
9/11/11 - Pay your respects
« Reply #167 on: September 7, 2011, 11:12:49 pm »
RIP to all those who passed away that day.

Please say a prayer or take a few moments to reflect and send strength to anyone affected by events that day.

I have signed up to our NY supporters club website at http://www.lfcny.org/forums/index.php and intend on posting a thread showing our support, once my account is approved. Please take the time to register an account and do the same.

Offline lurganboy

• Legacy Fan
  • Look! It's that bellend from 606!
« Reply #168 on: September 7, 2011, 11:16:27 pm »
In Crown Court in Sheffield, on the press benches as a reporter. No recollection of the case, only of meeting a colleague outside at lunchtime who broke me the news. I was utterly unaware, Crown Court being hermatically sealed from the outside world. I remember the dazed expressions of journalist colleagues who were finding it as difficult to take in as I was. And who sensed the enormity of the probable response. I remember phoning my wife to tell her what had happened and her scared response. I remember from an LFC perspective going to the pub for our first ever European Cup game since Heysel that night, against Boavista. I arrived five minutes after the game started and we were already 1-0 down. There were an American man in the pub and I asked him what the response from the USA was likely to be. He said: "Bush will assemble the biggest army he can and will flatten the Middle East."

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #169 on: September 7, 2011, 11:49:01 pm »
A dreadfull day many lives lost through no fault of their own. May they all rest in peace

I cant believe its ten years.

I would like to ask our friends over the pond a couple of questions and I dont mean any offence with them.

1. The conspiracy theories that have done thw rounds do they believe any of them

2. The subsequent justification of an attack on Iraq was that in your opinon justified

3. Saddam may have been a first class twat but why was he the target and not Bin Laden

4. How come it took so long to get Bin Laden - what happend to the secret services - how could they get it so wrong.

Oh by the way I think Blair was just a puppet for Bush and we were just as bad.

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #170 on: September 8, 2011, 01:47:49 am »
There's a superb Frontline airing now that I caught last night in the hotel room. Jarring stuff. Fantastic journalism as usual. You can find it off Google - PBS Frontline.

Might be a good time to watch all the episodes related to 9/11, Afghanistan, Iraq et al.

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #171 on: September 8, 2011, 03:08:22 am »
Remember just got up(lazy bastard still) around 1pm and saw all the breaking news.... can still remember all of us just watching the telly.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #172 on: September 8, 2011, 03:18:32 am »
I was only 11 at the time, in 6th grade (my last year of elementary school) in the US.  My elementary school didn't tell any of us students what was going on, but I remember it seemed like an odd day since a lot of kids were getting picked up early by their parents, and they cancelled our outdoor recess (the rumor among us students was that they were renovating the playground or something, and I remember looking outside and seeing no work going on and being confused).  My mother came and picked me up from school too, instead of letting me take the bus home like I usually did.  She told me what had happened immediately when I got in the car, but I was too young to really understand.  I even asked her if we could go out and rent a movie after we got home!  I almost wish I had been only 2 or 3 years older, so I could understand and remember it better.

Offline Alucard

• Tnuoc
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: September 8, 2011, 03:29:10 am »
I was in my second last year of high school. I was in Australia at the time and it happened about 10 minutes after I went to bed so I didn't find out until the following morning over breakfast. I'd never seen anything like it before. We spent the whole day in school just watching the news which was running all day even on the free-to-air stations. The day just happens to be my sisters birthday, so it's one to remember.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #174 on: September 8, 2011, 08:20:58 am »
A dreadfull day many lives lost through no fault of their own. May they all rest in peace

I cant believe its ten years.

I would like to ask our friends over the pond a couple of questions and I dont mean any offence with them.

1. The conspiracy theories that have done thw rounds do they believe any of them

2. The subsequent justification of an attack on Iraq was that in your opinon justified

3. Saddam may have been a first class twat but why was he the target and not Bin Laden

4. How come it took so long to get Bin Laden - what happend to the secret services - how could they get it so wrong.

Oh by the way I think Blair was just a puppet for Bush and we were just as bad.

Sorry mate. Not in this thread. And conspiracy theories will not get an airing anywhere on this site as they are all utter shite spread by morons. 
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #175 on: September 8, 2011, 10:50:12 am »
Sorry mate. Not in this thread.

Thought that, but any objection to opening another thread on the fallout from 9/11?

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #176 on: September 8, 2011, 10:59:54 am »
conspiracy theories ....... are all utter shite spread by morons. 

this.
Kill the humourless

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: September 8, 2011, 11:06:40 am »
I was in work at my shop,next door to a bookies,Heard some stuff over the radio.Went into the bookies and they had it on their myriad of tvs.Spent pretty much the whole day in there watching the shocking news.
Always perplexed me the normality of life that day.All that was going on and the way life just ambled on regardless.
People popping in and out of the bookies betting horses while the news continually filtered through on the other screens
Fleeting between the heartbreak of a horse just losing on the line and the heartbreak of thousands of lives being lost.
Isnt reality great.
bollocks

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
« Reply #178 on: September 8, 2011, 01:05:06 pm »
Watched a documentary last night aswell as a couple of youtube videos, had forgotten how upsetting some of them are, people jumping from the buildings, the videos of the second plane hitting and also things like Kevin Cosgroves 911 phonecall. Really makes you appreciate how scared these people must of been with certain death imminent. 10 years tomorrow, fucking hell. RIP to all, never forgotten.
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline istanbulism

• Anny Roader
  • JFT96
« Reply #179 on: September 8, 2011, 03:11:20 pm »
As an 11 year old I was sitting clueless in the office of Hezbollah leader Sayid Hassan Nasrallah when it happened.

And thats no lie  :D
What a goal, what a night

Offline givemekaliber

• Official Gimp to the Transfer Forum!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leather Bottle - Halewood
« Reply #180 on: September 8, 2011, 03:15:59 pm »
At work in Nationwide in Bootle - the manager shut up shop for over an hour while everyone stood there, jaws open and in total total shock
Tommy Smith is better looking than Sophia Loren

Suarez is an utter lunatic

Smoke bombs/grenades/pyros/giros are necessary

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #181 on: September 8, 2011, 03:49:26 pm »
As long as it stays on topic and sticks to reported facts I don't see why not. I'll wager a tenner it doesn't get beyond the middle of page two without being swamped in shite and getting locked, but feel free to give it a go.

Keep your wallet closed Corky. Never wager with a man who can decide the result.   ;)
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #182 on: September 8, 2011, 04:37:06 pm »
Keep your wallet closed Corky. Never wager with a man who can decide the result.   ;)

Bet money against a Mod? Not likely. A locked thread will only cost me the effort in starting it and with the amount of stuff swilling around in my head about 9/11, chances are anybody reading my OP will die of boredom before they get to the end.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #183 on: September 8, 2011, 04:48:35 pm »
Bet money against a Mod? Not likely. A locked thread will only cost me the effort in starting it and with the amount of stuff swilling around in my head about 9/11, chances are anybody reading my OP will die of boredom before they get to the end.

That would be a chance I'd be willing to take. But Alan F is surely right. One of 9/11's greatest legacies, unfortunately, is that it emptied the remaining brains out of so many semi-educated people and single-handedly created another fundamentalist religion whose adherents go by the name of 'Troofers'.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #184 on: September 8, 2011, 04:53:26 pm »
I remember the moment vividly as I was on days at Gorton Fire Station, Manchester - my normal station at the time was Salford but I was detached in to cover.
We had just finished drilling in the yard and were waiting for dinner when one of the lads said put sky news on. The whole watch (around 10 lads) just sat in shock watching events unfold before our eyes. We could only imagine what our colleagues in NYC were going through, but through our own experience we could tell by the colour of the smoke, the amount of damage and the sheer volume of fire that it would be an incredibly difficult operation to bring people down.

We sat on watched people jumping from way up high which I found particularly harrowing and when the second plane hit we knew America was under attack. Its a surreal scenario for Firefighters to sit and watch on live television a serious fire in progress, and I admit to thinking to myself, "what if this is a world wide attack, what if they went for Manchester, Liverpool or London", at that time anything was possible.

I remember sitting and watching the towers fall, and feeling sick to my stomach because we knew that the towers would be full of Firemen, Police, Paramedics and hundreds if not thousands of civilians.

343 Firefighters wiped out in a single incident is still hard to comprehend. If you think about our country, the Merseyside brigade has 26 fire stations and at one time will have around 250 Firefighters on duty at one time. So imagine the entire Merseyside crews getting wiped out in one go.
Those FDNY guys lost so much experience that day, Chiefs, guys with 25 years + service, and recruits who had only been on the job for weeks, so very sad.

RIP to the FDNY 343, Never Forgotten.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Lord Roger Hunt

• Elevated to the RAWK Peerage. Furious Legend In His Own Lunchtime.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Humans were harmed in the making of this picture
« Reply #185 on: September 8, 2011, 05:30:17 pm »
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/09/08/nyregion/911-tapes.html?hp

Hard to listen to this, particularly the calmness of the Flight Attendant - then the dawning horror of the ATC's as they realise what's happening - just released by the Authorities in time for the tenth anniversary,,,,
From the Country of Liverpool

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #186 on: September 8, 2011, 06:16:37 pm »
Gut wrenching.

The calmness of the AA attendant is phenominal - I heard the tapes a few days ago; my wife works in the SW reservation office for AA.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: September 8, 2011, 06:25:31 pm »
That would be a chance I'd be willing to take. But Alan F is surely right. One of 9/11's greatest legacies, unfortunately, is that it emptied the remaining brains out of so many semi-educated people and single-handedly created another fundamentalist religion whose adherents go by the name of 'Troofers'.

Maybe we could start something in the scribes forum. If it started on the right track a la the match round table discussions.

Corky are you a scribe?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline WraithXx

• LinguistiCc PedanTt. Ass Man fan. IN PONTO PERDITUS
  • Legacy Fan
  • veritas aequitas
« Reply #188 on: September 8, 2011, 06:30:53 pm »

Hard to listen to this, particularly the calmness of the Flight Attendant - then the dawning horror of the ATC's as they realise what's happening - just released by the Authorities in time for the tenth anniversary,,,,

that was absolutely nerve wracking... wow

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ญญญญญญญญญญญ
LIVERPOOL F.C
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ญญญญญญญญญญญญญญญญ

Offline CarolinaKopite

• Main Stander
  • Supporting L.F.C. stateside
« Reply #189 on: September 8, 2011, 07:26:17 pm »
Sitting in my 1st period 9th grade Environmental Science class when another teacher came in and said the WTC had been hit by a plane.  Mrs. Deaton (my teacher) turned on the t.v. and we all watched the news for the rest of the school day.  Had a few classmates whose parents or family worked at the WTC and were ultimately never found.
"Soccer is not graded on a curve"

GT: BoondockTodd

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: September 8, 2011, 08:05:55 pm »

I'm listening now, really chilling  :'(
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Offline AriGold

• David James's stunt double
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hendo is boss.
« Reply #191 on: September 8, 2011, 08:07:25 pm »
New York City Policemen & Fire-fighters are "NOT INVITED" to the 10th anniversary of 9/11 at Ground Zero. The Mayor claims "there isn't room for them".... Funnily enough, they weren't "invited" on that fateful day in 2001 either.... THEY JUST SHOWED UP AND DID THEIR JOB! re-post if they deserve to be there *more than* the politicians! Shame on them!

Just seen this on facebook, can't be true surely?
DON'T BUY THE S*N!

Twitter... www.twitter.com/wickolfc

Offline Effes

• Bat droppings in the gym. Bestial Porn Fiend. Horsey horsey dont you stop, now you're wanted by internet cop. Four legs good, two legs bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No longer goes the game. Thread-starter bore
« Reply #192 on: September 8, 2011, 08:11:22 pm »
I was in a course and the bloke running it came in after a break and said a
plane had flown into the twin towers in New York.

Didn't think much of it.

Spent about 1 hour watching repeat after repeat with my brother in the pub before the Boavista game.

Gobsmacked
Conversion into the opposite - a fool who persists in his folly will become wise.

Offline nyujvary

• RAWK's finest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay calm, all is well!
« Reply #193 on: September 8, 2011, 08:15:16 pm »
New York City Policemen & Fire-fighters are "NOT INVITED" to the 10th anniversary of 9/11 at Ground Zero. The Mayor claims "there isn't room for them".... Funnily enough, they weren't "invited" on that fateful day in 2001 either.... THEY JUST SHOWED UP AND DID THEIR JOB! re-post if they deserve to be there *more than* the politicians! Shame on them!

Oh but it is.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #194 on: September 8, 2011, 08:16:49 pm »
Interesting show on 5live at the moment.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: September 8, 2011, 08:48:29 pm »
I was on work experience, surreal as fuck....still is.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: September 8, 2011, 09:03:11 pm »
Remember waking up late and sticking the telly on. News in BBC about it. Turned it over. News in Itv about it. Thought, fuck this must be serious. Honestly had never heard if the WTC before this. When I saw the footage of the planes colliding and the towers collapsing I was dumbstruck. Couldn't believe it. Went to work and watched it all day. Went to the pub after work to watch the match and it felt weird being the only one concentrating on the football. Realised the enormity of it all the next day.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: September 8, 2011, 09:16:56 pm »

It's true because as I understand it, they are focussing on accommodating the relatives of the 3,000 people who died. While I understand the sentiment, I'd suggest that the families come first.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline AriGold

• David James's stunt double
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hendo is boss.
« Reply #198 on: September 8, 2011, 09:23:47 pm »
It's true because as I understand it, they are focussing on accommodating the relatives of the 3,000 people who died. While I understand the sentiment, I'd suggest that the families come first.
Yer they should, no doubt about it. But they should make room, the death toll would have been a lot higher if it wasn't for those brave men.
DON'T BUY THE S*N!

Twitter... www.twitter.com/wickolfc

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #199 on: September 8, 2011, 09:25:59 pm »
Maybe we could start something in the scribes forum. If it started on the right track a la the match round table discussions.

Corky are you a scribe?

Yup, will pop in there later.