Author Topic: End of facebook?  (Read 12905 times)

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: End of facebook?
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2011, 07:13:26 pm »
Twitter is well better anyway, hardly bother with Facebook these days
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline brendanbrady

• Anny Roader
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2011, 07:55:58 pm »
Can you actually 'delete' your account though? all i've found is how to effectively hybernate - if its possible to delete an account (i.e remove all information) please somebody tell me!

Yes, you can delete it.  I did it the other day.  You have to go into FAQ and look for the section for that section.  But it describes exactly how to do it.  I did it the other day.  I thought I had done it a long time ago, but I guess I had just put it in hibernation mode.  Out of curiousity I went in and checked to see if I could sign in, and it let me, so I did the extra research on how to have them delete the data.

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2011, 08:37:25 pm »
Facebook is just an outlet for how technology has changed the way humans communicate. If Facebook disappears it won't because we want to go back to the "old ways" but rather because it won't be able to grasp the changing technology and the opportunities it gives us. In that case, something new will enter the scene.

And if you think the way people communicate now on Facebook and Twitter and so forth is annoying and too much in your face...well then brace yourselves...because you haven't seen the half of it.
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2011, 09:12:22 pm »
It will either have to constantly reinvent itself or eventually the next new thing will replace it.  On that note what happened to Bebo and My Space?  They prob still exist but are rarely mentioned compared to FB.  How come facebook triumphed over these?

Offline kismet

• Anny Roader
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2011, 09:18:46 pm »
Yes, you can delete it.  I did it the other day.  You have to go into FAQ and look for the section for that section.  But it describes exactly how to do it.  I did it the other day.  I thought I had done it a long time ago, but I guess I had just put it in hibernation mode.  Out of curiousity I went in and checked to see if I could sign in, and it let me, so I did the extra research on how to have them delete the data.

Link to delete account: https://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account

To complete the deletion, don't log in for the next 14 days.

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2011, 11:20:56 pm »
meh, i'm blame the movie the social network, and timberlake, shower of twats. 

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2011, 11:27:21 pm »
Anyone else been chosen to trial the new layout? Seems I always get the new features before anyone I know personally and it is shite.

The news feed is in the middle then the right hand side of the screen is like another news feed but constantly refreshing and updating with every bit of activity, not just status updates.

Offline ThisIsMickey

• Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2011, 06:16:01 am »
Twitter is well better anyway, hardly bother with Facebook these days
"100% of the shots you don't take don't go in"

Offline Ecuared

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2011, 07:22:53 am »
It used to be fun a few years ago, but once everyone's parents/grandparents got on it has turned shit. I use it mostly to write personal messages to friends. Haven't posted anything on my wall in months, and neither do most of my friends.

Still useful to check out pictures of newborn babies, weddings, etc.
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2011, 01:53:03 pm »
I don't blame Facebook, I blame idiot users. Some people are so fucking boring, their lives are about as interesting as a blank page and they expect people to care about what they do on a daily basis.

I waste far too much time on the thing, mostly to slag mates/perve on birds/argue about football. I hate it but it's only a replacement to forums/bebo and whatever else there was before. I have too much spare time on my hands. Facebook just fills the void until the next thing comes along. It will probably be even more intrusive, it won't stop people signing up in their droves.

The Internet has replaced the TV as this generations time-killer.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2011, 03:54:26 pm »
Facepub is where it's at you crazy cats. Get on it.

Meeting people in person is the new craze thats sweeping the nation.

This is it you see. Front page news in a few years time will be "man seen out wandering the streets"

On a side note does anyone remember a site called "uboot" It was popular about 10 years ago when mobiles were taking off and you could send free sms to peoples phones and everyone had a page like bebo and facebook?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 03:57:23 pm by Magin85 »

Offline Dewey Finn

• Steve Bruce's Mum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2011, 03:58:39 pm »

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2011, 01:04:12 pm »
Destroying lives and minds and more importantly: its a distraction from spending more, healthy time...

.....on RAWK.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2011, 01:50:54 pm »
It will either have to constantly reinvent itself or eventually the next new thing will replace it.  On that note what happened to Bebo and My Space?  They prob still exist but are rarely mentioned compared to FB.  How come facebook triumphed over these?

I've never used Bebo, but in my opinion the reason Facebook triumphed over Myspace had a lot to do with the layout of the pages. They are far simpler and cleaner than Myspace, which was customisable and therefore ended up in a lot of pages being an absolute mess. Facebook was (and is) far easier to get to grips with for people who aren't computer literate, and that's where it's succeeded. Facebook has gone a long way to removing the "geek factor" from interacting with people on the internet. There are people who would have never dreamed of going on Myspace, or forums, or interacting with other people online in any way who have a Facebook profile now.

It was never intended to be that way of course, it was designed for college students to use, around the same time that Myspace was kicking off. It was never meant to rival or overtake it, but it did.

Offline DM Red

• no it wasnt a knee jerk - just a jerk....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2011, 01:52:12 pm »
never had a proper fb page. i really dont like the whole idea of it. am i weird?

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2011, 01:58:00 pm »
never had a proper fb page. i really dont like the whole idea of it. am i weird?

No. It's up to you, it makes my life a hell of a lot easier though.

One example, I help run a football team and a lot of the organisation for that is done through Facebook. Telling people where the next game is, arranging any training etc., it's all done on there. Out of our squad of players (about 20 all in all) I think there is one lad who isn't on Facebook so it's a lot easier than phoning/texting 20 different people.

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2011, 02:48:19 pm »

No, if it wasn't easier for me to keep in contact with people on Facebook than through anything else I wouldn't have it either.
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2011, 02:51:40 pm »
No. It's up to you, it makes my life a hell of a lot easier though.

One example, I help run a football team and a lot of the organisation for that is done through Facebook. Telling people where the next game is, arranging any training etc., it's all done on there. Out of our squad of players (about 20 all in all) I think there is one lad who isn't on Facebook so it's a lot easier than phoning/texting 20 different people.

www.teamer.net

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2011, 06:20:59 pm »

Offline NA_

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2011, 01:03:17 am »
Hope It fucking dies to be honest.

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2011, 01:27:05 am »
I don't understand it to be honest. My family think I'm weird because I don't have an account, but I think they're weird because they have one. People say it's just about being sociable and friendly but I think they're wrong. It's about showing the world the person you wish to be and not the person you are. There are no bad photos, no bad memories, no bad experiences on facebook, just those you want the world to see. It isn't you, it is your media peception of you. If you want to know me, call me and talk to me. If you want to find your old school friends there are other ways besides this self-indulgent, look-at-me, I-have-a-relationship-and-a-kid-now way of doing it. If you need to tell the world what you're up to the world doesn't need to know. You are not as important, you are not as popular and your opinion is not as mind-blowingly-world-changing as you think it is. Who gives a fuck if you like the Shawshank Redemption? Millions do. Why do I need to hear your bloody opinion and see the fucking photos you took in Australia? Are you Captain Cook?

Edit: The irony is noted!  :P
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 01:30:11 am by RedRabbit »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2011, 10:31:43 am »
If facebook does move on, then it will just join the endless stream of end-of-line products. With new ones that make you think different on the way.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2021, 06:02:03 am »
The Australian government has been leading the way in getting the likes of Google, Microsoft & Facebook to start paying for the news content they channel through their sites. There was some initial push-back from Google (threwho have now decided to pay directly to a number of our newspapers and news channels.

Typically, Zuckerberg hasn't really read the room and they have culled all news content and sharing from Facebook in Australia.

Of course they decided to use some sort of algorithm to cut content which resulted in Fire and Rescue NSW, Department of Fire and Emergency Services WA, SA Health and Queensland Health, the Bureau of Meteorology, Bowel Cancer Australia, the Kids Cancer Project,1800 Respect, Mission Australia, Hobart Women’s Shelter, National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Services, Australian Wildlife Conservancy as well as satirical 'news' outlets Betoota Advocate, the Chaser, and ABC’s Mad As Hell.

Mexican standoff at the moment, but this is the start of a massive push by the likes of California and a number of countries from introducing similar bills regarding news content on Facebook.

‘Unfriend Australia’: PM slams Facebook move to cut off news to the nation

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has slammed Facebook for cutting off essential services and said it should not think it had the power to run the world, saying the “bullying” would not stop the government legislating a new code for digital content.

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg also slammed the actions of social media giant Facebook as unnecessary and heavy-handed following the company’s decision to ban publishers and users in Australia from sharing or viewing any news articles on its platforms.

“Facebook’s actions to unfriend Australia today, cutting off essential information services on health and emergency services, were as arrogant as they were disappointing,” Mr Morrison said on Thursday.

“These actions will only confirm the concerns that an increasing number of countries are as expressing about the behaviour of BigTech companies who think they are bigger than governments and that the rules should not apply to them.
Advertisement

“They may be changing the world, but that doesn’t mean they should run it.

“We will not be intimidated by this act of bullying by BigTech, seeking to pressure parliament as it votes on our important News Media Bargaining Code.

“I am in regular contact with the leaders of other nations on these issues. We simply won’t be intimidated, just as we weren’t when Amazon threatened to leave the country and when Australia drew other nations together to combat the publishing of terrorist content on social media platforms.

“I encourage Facebook to constructively work with the Australian government, as Google recently demonstrated in good faith.”

Mr Frydenberg told a press conference on Thursday afternoon he had been given no warning of Facebook’s decision, which it said it was taking to carry through on a threat it made in September after being unable to find a solution in discussions with the Australian government.

“Facebook was wrong. Facebook’s actions were unnecessary. They were heavy-handed and they will damage its reputation here in Australia,” Mr Frydenberg said. “We certainly weren’t given any notice by Facebook.”

The bargaining code, which passed through the House of Representatives on Wednesday night, will require social media companies to pay media outlets for using their content. The bill is expected to pass the Senate and become law as early as next week.

Mr Frydenberg, who spoke to Facebook global chief executive Mark Zuckerberg on Thursday morning, indicated the government was prepared to consider further amendments to the bill to accommodate the tech giant’s concerns. But he said “time would tell” whether a resolution could be negotiated.

“We’ll see if we can reach some clarifications and get them back to the table and keep them
providing their service here in Australia. But our commitment, our number one commitment, is to legislate this code,” Mr Frydenberg said.

Communications Minister Paul Fletcher said Facebook’s decision to block authoritative news sources would further expose the company to the spread of misinformation and unverified content.

“What they’re effectively saying to Australians is, ‘you will not find content on our platform which comes from an organisation which employs professional journalists, which has editorial policies, which has fact-checking processes’,” Mr Fletcher said.

Facebook’s Australia and New Zealand managing director, William Easton, said in a blog post early on Thursday morning the decision had been made because the proposed code “fundamentally misunderstands the relationship between our platform and publishers who use it to share news content.”

“It has left us facing a stark choice: attempt to comply with a law that ignores the realities of this relationship, or stop allowing news content on our services in Australia. With a heavy heart, we are choosing the latter,” Mr Easton said on the company’s blog.

Facebook’s stance was different to search giant Google, which had also threatened to exit Australia. Google has since struck multi-million dollar deals with major Australian publishers for the use of their content.

Media publishers including Nine Entertainment Co, publisher of The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age, News Corp and the ABC, also criticised Facebook’s decision.

Nine’s outgoing chief executive Hugh Marks said Facebook’s decision was “a real shock” and showed why the code was needed.

“They are trying to prove how powerful they are. They’ve certainly proven that. The purpose of the legislation is actually trying to deal with that power, so they are kicking a massive own goal,” he told Sydney radio station 2GB
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2021, 12:56:17 pm »
While it is easy to assume FB and Google are in the wrong, this does seem like a horrendous overreach on the part of the australian government, expecting those companies to pay for links posted on their sites is idiotic and simply pandering to Murdoch.

FB's reaction is drastic, but when you look at how broadly the legislation defines the term 'news' in the first place and the level of fines for breaches, it makes sense for them to err on the heavy-handed side of things, even without the additional benefit of showing the government what their ruling actually means.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2021, 01:32:29 pm »
While it is easy to assume FB and Google are in the wrong, this does seem like a horrendous overreach on the part of the australian government, expecting those companies to pay for links posted on their sites is idiotic and simply pandering to Murdoch.

FB's reaction is drastic, but when you look at how broadly the legislation defines the term 'news' in the first place and the level of fines for breaches, it makes sense for them to err on the heavy-handed side of things, even without the additional benefit of showing the government what their ruling actually means.

News Corp and FB have already done a deal it seems.

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2021, 02:50:20 pm »

Not sure how the democratically elected Australian government introducing regulations governing social media in Australia can be accused of overreach just because an American company doesnt like it? Its kind of what governments do/or should do.

Have to commend the Australians for this, they were first to really take on the tobacco giants with the plain packaging and now they are taking on the social media giants. Hoping the results of this are as impressive as the fight with the tobacco lobby.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2021, 03:57:37 pm »
Not sure how the democratically elected Australian government introducing regulations governing social media in Australia can be accused of overreach just because an American company doesnt like it? Its kind of what governments do/or should do.

Have to commend the Australians for this, they were first to really take on the tobacco giants with the plain packaging and now they are taking on the social media giants. Hoping the results of this are as impressive as the fight with the tobacco lobby.

You only have to look at how they have defined news to see it is an overreach and not merely regulation, people are whinging that the weather service has been booted off for example, but it exactly fits the overly broad definition that the australian government has used.

An obvious of example how poorly written this law is, you could easily have a news site posting their own stuff to FB in vast amounts and FB being obliged to pay for content they didn't ask for and didn't want, but even without this clear abuse, the news sites already have mechanisms to limit or entirely block what is linked or indexed, but they choose not do so because these things already benefit them and also getting paid for receiving that benefit is very much having their cake and eating it, at least for large companies like Newcorp that authored the legislation.

Going after big tech in general and FB & Google in particular is most definitely a worthy thing to do, but the manner in which they have done so with this bill is idiotic and will actively harm many smaller news companies over there, while enriching scum like Murdoch.

https://www.cincsocial.com.au/blog/why-facebook-banned-news-in-australia provides a decent article on the situation that does not have the excessive bias of articles coming from most news sites.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 04:10:24 pm by Skeeve »

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2021, 09:20:23 pm »

Are you certain that the new regulations/laws apply to links? I though it was quoting copyrighted content which is the problem being claimed by the news groups. Linking is a (pretty-much) done and dusted legal issue for many years now in most jurisdictions.
You only have to look at how they have defined news to see it is an overreach and not merely regulation, people are whinging that the weather service has been booted off for example, but it exactly fits the overly broad definition that the australian government has used.

An obvious of example how poorly written this law is, you could easily have a news site posting their own stuff to FB in vast amounts and FB being obliged to pay for content they didn't ask for and didn't want, but even without this clear abuse, the news sites already have mechanisms to limit or entirely block what is linked or indexed, but they choose not do so because these things already benefit them and also getting paid for receiving that benefit is very much having their cake and eating it, at least for large companies like Newcorp that authored the legislation.

Going after big tech in general and FB & Google in particular is most definitely a worthy thing to do, but the manner in which they have done so with this bill is idiotic and will actively harm many smaller news companies over there, while enriching scum like Murdoch.

https://www.cincsocial.com.au/blog/why-facebook-banned-news-in-australia provides a decent article on the situation that does not have the excessive bias of articles coming from most news sites.
I have not been following the issue closely, and certainly not what's been happening in Australia. If this is indeed a copyright issue, two questions immediately spring to mind:
  • Why do the new regulations only apply to the copyrighted content of news outlets?
  • Since all the major social media sites are based in the US, why aren't news groups making use of DMCA take-down notices?
It should be noted that social media websites must ban repeat offenders from their platforms. The law is unspecific about what constitutes a 'repeat offender', but over the years (through case law) it has generally come to be understood that three take-down strikes (within a roiling two-year) is repeat offending and forces the platform to permanently ban the member. If the platform fails to do this, they probably will become liable for copyright infringement.

Because of problems with illegitimate claims of copyright infringement (claims made by invoking the DCMA procedures), and the difficulties involved with the poster of the content countering a DCMA take-down notification by invoking, for example, of 'fair use', the system is generally regarded as a heavy hammer which overly favours the claimant of an infraction with little risk involved by making the false claim. As a rule, platforms remove content immediately upon receiving a properly formed DCMA claim (or they risk loosing their 'safe harbor' protections - they can be sued). This means that time-sensitive, topical postings might be removed for days or weeks while the poster of the content contests the claim. The DCMA is so effective, it is regularly abused by those who seek to bury inconvenient truths.

I've had a quick look into this, but have not yet found anything which properly illuminates the background - which is what is important here. This spat is a small side issue and distraction. If someone has an informative link at hand, it would be appreciated.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2021, 09:44:12 pm »

Oh i understand both sides and if one was to just look at this issue alone you could conceivably argue Facebook actually drives a lot of the auduence for newspapers for which they earn advertising revenue themselves.

I dont care about any of that though. The current relationship between social media and news content providers has been a central element in the toxic brew that has blown up in America recently and has had a none too healthy influence throughout many other countries.

The more news content is decoupled from social media and in particular facebook the better in my opinion. Newspapers long ago started generating huge quantities of low quality opinion driven content to try to hook in punters who drifted from hard copy newspapers to social media which had initially undermined the business models of old media companies.

The sad truth is high quality, well researched and balanced content is really expensive to produce and mostly doesnt have the audience of low quality opinion articles designed to pander to pre existing biases. It never will. For me this is a key factor in the degeration of our politics into fake news, polarisation and black and white thinking. So thats kind of why im cheering on these developments.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2021, 09:46:21 pm »
This is not about copyright or DMCA, this is about the australian media wanting to have their cake and eat it, getting the benefit of FB and search engines sending traffic their way, while also getting paid for those links, snippets and thumbnails being on those sites too and not simply being about people reposting full articles on there without permission.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2021, 10:27:18 pm »
This is not about copyright or DMCA, this is about the australian media wanting to have their cake and eat it, getting the benefit of FB and search engines sending traffic their way, while also getting paid for those links, snippets and thumbnails being on those sites too and not simply being about people reposting full articles on there without permission.
But how, exactly, have news corporations been damaged by Big Tech and social media? Or, at least, what is their claim? Posting small extracts and summaries falls within well-established law and case law ('fair use') across the world for many, many decades.

I guess I'll have to dig deeper.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 10:28:53 pm by Jiminy Cricket »
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2021, 11:07:02 pm »
OK. I have a slightly clearer picture of the situation. But I have to say, it makes no sense. News Corp and other outlets wish to be paid for content they willing post themselves to FB's platform. The more they post, the more money they make. I am normally no defender of FB, but this in no way addresses the multiple issues revolving around how FB operates.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-day-facebook-went-dark-on-news-11613652431

https://about.fb.com/news/2020/08/changes-to-facebooks-services-in-australia/

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2021, 11:20:20 pm »
I'm on Facebook's side here :O

The Aussie advertisers have benefited from Facebook airing their ads for free and now want paying for those free ads?

Also, as has been said, the Internet has always been free. If I click on something then I usually won't expect to pay for it.

The more the Internet is pushed towards monatary options the more likely it is that most of us will be paying £50 for liking cat photos.

The Internet is free.

If it isn't then it's an option. Something you choose.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2021, 11:47:12 pm »

The Aussie advertisers have benefited from Facebook airing their ads for free and now want paying for those free ads?

Also, as has been said, the Internet has always been free. If I click on something then I usually won't expect to pay for it.

The more the Internet is pushed towards monatary options the more likely it is that most of us will be paying £50 for liking cat photos.

The Internet is free.

I agree with the thrust of what you wrote there, but that's not quite the situation with FB and news organisations. It is not the ordinary punter (facebook user) who pays. Rather, News Corp et al wish to be paid by FB for the content they willingly post to the platform themselves. Unless there is some really good argument people are hiding from me, that's just nuts.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 11:59:26 pm by Jiminy Cricket »

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2021, 11:57:09 pm »

The Internet is free.

Facebook isn’t free.
You don’t pay for it with money, but you do pay for it by giving them access to huge amounts of your personal data. Which they flog off to advertisers.
If you’re happy with that, then that’s fine. But don’t pretend it’s free; it’s nothing of the sort.
Oh, and maybe the c*nts could pay some tax too, and sort out the bots, and the vile trash that gets posted on there by millions of dickheads.
But they won’t, unless they’re made to.

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: February 19, 2021, 12:15:16 am »
I agree with the thrust of what you wrote there, but that's not quite the situation with FB and news organisations. It is not the ordinary punter (facebook user) who pays. Rather, News Corp et al wish to be paid by FB for the content they willing post to the platform themselves. Unless there is some really good argument people are hiding from me, that's just nuts.

Taken at face value like that it does seem Facebook may be getting shafted.

A very simplistic counter argument would run something like this. Facebook runs this platform where everyone hangs out, the genius of this is that Facebook does nothing but facilitate other people (the users) to create the content. So Facebook create nothing, but now because everyone hangs out there they cream in all the advertising that used to go to the old media who are the ones that create the news.

Now boo hoo many people would say however if we consider that a healthy media ecosystem should contain high quality news then we have a problem as their sales have all been smashed as well by the internet and social media. So the government have said this new tech has come along and fucked up the news part of the old media. However its good thing for a country to have a healthy news media so how do we pay for this. Well lets get that new tech to pay up some dough, they actually create nothing of any actual worth and are just running a little monopoly extracting wealth from this country so lets squeeze them.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #116 on: February 19, 2021, 12:26:35 am »
Taken at face value like that it does seem Facebook may be getting shafted.

A very simplistic counter argument would run something like this. Facebook runs this platform where everyone hangs out, the genius of this is that Facebook does nothing but facilitate other people (the users) to create the content. So Facebook create nothing, but now because everyone hangs out there they cream in all the advertising that used to go to the old media who are the ones that create the news.

Now boo hoo many people would say however if we consider that a healthy media ecosystem should contain high quality news then we have a problem as their sales have all been smashed as well by the internet and social media. So the government have said this new tech has come along and fucked up the news part of the old media. However its good thing for a country to have a healthy news media so how do we pay for this. Well lets get that new tech to pay up some dough, they actually create nothing of any actual worth and are just running a little monopoly extracting wealth from this country so lets squeeze them.

I'm not arsed about NewCorp or Facebook.

I'm bothered about the Internet being free.

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2021, 12:38:34 am »
I'm not arsed about NewCorp or Facebook.

I'm bothered about the Internet being free.

Not sure why you are here in this debate then. This is about getting facebook to pay news media companies money. The debate is if thats right or wrong as the Australian government are going about it.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2021, 12:48:03 am »
Not sure why you are here in this debate then. This is about getting facebook to pay news media companies money. The debate is if thats right or wrong as the Australian government are going about it.

Um. Stop and think what the Internet is.

The debate is way beyond these dickheads.

Offline CalgarianRed

• Kopite
« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2021, 12:49:38 am »
I think this will be set a bad precedent if Governments lobbied by mainstream media (people like Rupert Murdoch)  start interfering in the free internet. I agree FB do take my data and sell it to advertisers, but I am still not paying directly. Better than the subscription fees lot of these mainstream media outlets charge.

And I honestly prefer getting my news from independent content creators I like on Youtube, rather than biased media like MSNBC and FOX.
True North Strong