Author Topic: John Barnes  (Read 172162 times)

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
Re: John Barnes
« Reply #280 on: September 9, 2012, 07:10:20 am »
Should train Raheem.  :D
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline Brave Lee Flea

• Kopite
  • Brave Lee turned his tail and fled....
« Reply #281 on: September 9, 2012, 07:59:27 am »
Watching that video reminds me not only that Barnes was jolly handy in the day but that we also had one or two other players who weren't all bad.

Funny how time plays tricks with your mind, I'd forgotten just how good we were - and how far we have fallen, not just in terms of league position but also the quality of our football.

PS I suppose I ought to change my sig ... but somehow the thought of doing so is too depressing.
I'm a believer.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #282 on: September 9, 2012, 09:55:42 am »
The most exciting player I've seen in a red shirt simple as that. When he got the ball you just got a buzz that something special was going to happen and it often did.

Offline HermanToothrot

• Main Stander
« Reply #283 on: September 9, 2012, 10:13:14 am »
Watching that video reminds me not only that Barnes was jolly handy in the day but that we also had one or two other players who weren't all bad.

Funny how time plays tricks with your mind, I'd forgotten just how good we were - and how far we have fallen, not just in terms of league position but also the quality of our football.

PS I suppose I ought to change my sig ... but somehow the thought of doing so is too depressing.

The team had a confidence then. A swagger. If we were losing, I was in no doubt we would turn it around.

Nowadays, if we are drawing 0-0 with 70 mins gone against QPR, a desperation comes into our play (and amongst the crowd).

Barnes was always calm. If I could take any player from a past era and put them into this team, I would take Barnes.

Offline SkinHimHesShite

• 80 kgs benchpressed, but are we impressed?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: September 9, 2012, 10:58:47 am »
i love john barnes

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #285 on: September 9, 2012, 11:08:14 am »
I think that King Kenny deserves the accolade as LFC's greatest ever player...I would think at the end of his career Stevie G will get 2nd spot in most peoples eyes.
Digger in my opinion deserves the number 3 spot - I saw Kenny, Souness, Hansen et al live, but not even they could generate the excitement of a Barnesy flying down the wing, or delivering a killer ball - he was an awesome player and a true gent. Had to put up with so much shit from the bitters and the press who berated him for his England games.
The team with Barnes, Beardsley, Aldo, Houghton was truly special to watch and big John Barnes was the star - awesome player !

As a complete aside, this is my own all-time 11 based on those I've seen play :-

Clemence - E.Hughes, Hansen, Lawrenson, Neal - Barnes, Souness, Gerrard, R.Kennedy - Rush, Dalglish

Subs: Reina, Hyypia, P. Thompson, Nicol, Molby, Hamann, Beardsley, Fowler, Aldo 
No Whelan? Really is the most under rated player we ever had imo.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #286 on: September 9, 2012, 12:08:27 pm »
The most exciting player I've seen in a red shirt simple as that. When he got the ball you just got a buzz that something special was going to happen and it often did.

Absolutely. If you were on the old Kop you'd know immediately when Barnes got the ball on the left wing even if for some reason you weren't looking at the pitch. Every single Kopite got on its tip-toes for a better view, leaned on the person in front of them and the whole crowd shifted down 3 or 4 steps. You just knew something wonderful was about to happen. Oh, and the roar - "SKIN HIM!". 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline pooley

• No...! They're not baby wipes!
  • Kopite
« Reply #287 on: September 9, 2012, 01:08:03 pm »
At his peak Barnes was phenomenal, if you watch the video or dvd about his career, it is there for all to see, some amazing stuff. After his injuries he re-invented himself as the O.P. suggests and became our link up player in midfield, always looking for the ball, very rarely giving it away. My early impressions of Joe Allen remind me of the latter day John Barnes.
I wish I could still climb up the drain-pipe that used to be at the back of the toilet that was outside the kop.

Offline Doc Evil

• PunjabEvo - "Goin' Madrid lad? Gorranyspares?"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kelvin McKenzie is a c*nt. SOS 7175
« Reply #288 on: September 9, 2012, 02:54:01 pm »
Rubbish.

From time to time there are individuals who stand head & shoulders above everyone else.
Digger was one of those sportsmen.
He was more than just a great player though.  He was a gentleman both on and off the pitch - always conducted himself impeccably.

For me - his most iconic moment was when a banana was thrown at him during a derby game in '88.
Without breaking stride he backheeled it away and carried on with the game without another thought.
It wasn't the first or last time he was subjected to racism but as always he dealt with it without making a fuss and it never affected his performance.

Pure class and an absolute legend.
Best player I've ever seen in a Liverpool shirt.

Pic from one of our trips to Wembley earlier this year.
Banner courtesy of my mate DocEvil & also Harinder who had it made.   :thumbup

Time to bring it out again at Anfield I think!
"You going to Madrid lad? Gorrany spares?"

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: September 9, 2012, 03:48:29 pm »
Just watched this video and felt the need to bump this thread. Kenny Dalglish was before my time but I've never seen anybody better in a Liverpool shirt than John Barnes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmAo0uiarvA

Could sure weight a pass!

Offline El Monty

• Boys Pen
« Reply #290 on: September 9, 2012, 06:13:24 pm »
Not too sure if this is the right thread to write this and i've done a quick search but John Barnes has done a Who do you think you are for the current series. Don't know the exact date but he hasn't been on yet. It's on every Wednesday at 9pm BBC 1. Just thought you might want to know.

Offline redboxingyeti

• Main Stander
  • Jurgen Believer
« Reply #291 on: September 10, 2012, 03:07:40 pm »
No Whelan? Really is the most under rated player we ever had imo.

I concur...Put Didi in the subs but happy to have Ronnie in there instead. So many good players to choose from though.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: September 10, 2012, 03:20:57 pm »
87-90 he was just untouchable

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #293 on: September 10, 2012, 03:23:07 pm »
Best player that I've seen at the club. Class personified on and off the pitch. I remember even back during when he'd injured his Achilles, there would still be fights in the schoolyard over who was going to be Barnes in the playground kickabouts.

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
« Reply #294 on: September 10, 2012, 03:25:49 pm »
Best player I've seen in a red shirt. Not old enough to see Kenny live but Digger is just above Stevie and Rush for me. Robbie closely following. The guy was just immense and unplayable, top bloke too.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: September 10, 2012, 03:27:53 pm »
2 backheels and that 40 yarder!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0UefhlOQkY

Offline Anfieldite

• Main Stander
« Reply #296 on: September 10, 2012, 03:41:24 pm »
How long was he out injured for in 91?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #297 on: September 10, 2012, 03:49:15 pm »
How long was he out injured for in 91?

I think it was around five months. But this was when an Achilles injury was a real career killer. He lost the blistering pace he had, which resulted in him being shuffled into a central role.

Offline finchy1972

• Legacy Fan
  • Here's a story of a poor boy
« Reply #298 on: September 10, 2012, 04:01:02 pm »
Genius
Whatever we are , we are , whatever we will be is yet to be written .

Offline redoneusa

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: September 11, 2012, 02:38:19 am »
The bloke was just pure magic and had it all. Very seldom do you see one player who has all the tricks in his bag. But John Barnes did - how much would he be worth in today's market?

Let's put it this way, we wouldn't be in the market for him simple as that. Just one bloody amazing player and I never tire of watching him in old games. Total legend.

Take two minutes to remind yourself of him:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5gsTBB1BDw
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 02:40:27 am by redoneusa »
You will find me on Twatter: Follow my Twatter

Offline Stevando_Torrard

• Anny Roader
  • When the time is right...
« Reply #300 on: September 11, 2012, 06:15:56 pm »
Dreamt about getting sent off for bringing him down when he was in on goal last night!

We've really been spoilt with some very talented players over the years.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #301 on: September 11, 2012, 10:12:07 pm »
Magnificent player, and a true legend.

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #302 on: September 12, 2012, 12:00:18 am »
Pure Poetry in motion he was. Sublime skill, great balance, he'd just glide across the pitch pass opponents.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: September 12, 2012, 12:18:44 am »
Time to bring it out again at Anfield I think!

In glorious technicolor  :D
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Redrider

• Departed for a forum with better manners
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: September 15, 2012, 04:36:04 pm »
Why does he always have a skip outside his house ?

Offline Gerrards Boxing Coach

• Main Stander
« Reply #305 on: September 15, 2012, 04:40:21 pm »
Just watched this video and felt the need to bump this thread. Kenny Dalglish was before my time but I've never seen anybody better in a Liverpool shirt than John Barnes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmAo0uiarvA

I like hearing the commentator at 4:27ish say, "No one played a bigger part in Liverpool's annual title run..."  Those are sweet, sweet words.
"Man, you can't just play football.  You've got to have the sway."

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #306 on: September 15, 2012, 04:42:05 pm »
Why does he always have a skip outside his house ?

To get rid of rubbish

Offline DRice

• and DPeas
  • Anny Roader
  • Free to fly the Crimson Sky
« Reply #307 on: March 6, 2013, 10:10:46 pm »
why could he never do it for england consistently?

;)

what a player he was simply sublime and as good has he was we did rely on him far too much by about 1989 and when he got injured we sadly couldnt cope and kind of imploded
Diego Maradona: "The English club proved that miracles really do exist. I've now made Liverpool my English team. They showed that football is the most beautiful sport of all. You knew they could defend but the team showed they could play too and wrote a page in the history books. The match will last forever. "

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #308 on: March 7, 2013, 10:06:47 am »
that 40 yarder!
One touch.  Try that you bastards!

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #309 on: March 7, 2013, 10:09:54 am »
I loved that free kick against Portsmouth and the reaction of him when Ronnie Whelan knocked it in

wed seriously kill for a player like this today. his speed with the ball was incredible, unfortunately in latter years that was killed through injury but one should also appreciate the reinvention of his game and how good a foil he was to the like of Redknapp, McManaman and Fowler.

Id love to see how many assists he had for 87-88
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #310 on: March 7, 2013, 10:22:18 am »

Id love to see how many assists he had for 87-88

Barnes, Beardsley, Barnes...cross to Aldridge or Houghton to nod in. Easy game!

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: March 7, 2013, 11:14:32 am »
Barnes, Beardsley, Barnes...cross to Aldridge or Houghton to nod in. Easy game!
i know of atleast 15 and theres many many games i havent included there like 4-0 vs derby, pompey, watford and 5-1 sheffield wednesday

Offline Big T

• Main Stander
« Reply #312 on: March 7, 2013, 02:24:59 pm »
A true great!

I wish that we would follow a Bayern/Ajax model were some of the legend's would command a seat on the board.

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #313 on: March 7, 2013, 10:28:08 pm »
john barnes will always be in my top 3 lfc players

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: March 8, 2013, 08:47:13 am »
Diadora's, Skulduggery, Digger, tights, Anfield Rap, World in Motion, tearing Utd apart at Old Trafford in 89/90, ah the memories, those 3 years 87-90 no one could touch him

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: March 8, 2013, 09:12:41 am »
look at that qpr goal, how the fuck does he turn so fast

the way he dinks to the left and back to the right in the blink of an eye. unbelievable skill, control and balance.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: March 8, 2013, 12:11:59 pm »
"oh i say just look at Barnes here"

Offline shizzledizzle

• Kopite
« Reply #317 on: March 9, 2013, 06:48:33 pm »
Really he is one of the most gifted ever he was really ahead of his time in terms of pace, fast thinking and ball control...

And besides that he is really one of the most honest people in the footballing world really a joy to watch him on and off the field..

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #318 on: March 30, 2013, 10:34:14 pm »
My number 1. Probably always will be.

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #319 on: May 10, 2013, 05:25:29 pm »
One of the greatest players we've ever had and in my all time 11 due to those first few years.. But let's not forget his last couple of seasons, he was not fantastic in the centre of midfield. Maybe due to the overrated Redknapp being along side him a lot of the time. He was better when Thomas was next to him though.
Barnes wasn't consistent enough when he played there.

I remember seeing him on daytime TV eating a selection of cakes. It was shocking. And a few days before/later??? he removed his shirt after the Paris St. Germain Euro game if I remember correctly, to reveal a belly. I was dumbfounded as he was a professional player and at the time on 15K/week - our highest paid player.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense