Author Topic: General Thread for Football Played by Women *  (Read 19852 times)

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
Re: General Thread for Football Played by Women *
« Reply #160 on: August 28, 2023, 04:39:05 pm »
It's fucking mad isn't it? Imagine going on a hunger strike for this!

Imagine thinking anyone will give a fuck as well! Sounds like an entitled old hag.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #161 on: August 28, 2023, 04:40:55 pm »
It's fucking mad isn't it? Imagine going on a hunger strike for this!

So the Zabaleta look alike is a mummy’s boy?

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #162 on: August 28, 2023, 04:57:02 pm »
So the Zabaleta look alike is a mummy’s boy?

Saw a Hamilton Accies fan calling him a disgrace to the hoops
Apparently he played for them
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: August 29, 2023, 11:02:05 am »
So I was talking to a friend about this the other day and they brought up the Neville/Scholes kiss from years back and asked whether that would be interpreted in the same manner today as this has or whether there is a reason why it wouldn’t be. It stumped me really because I’m just not sure. Be interested to see what the thoughts are of people here, although I’m happy for this to be sidelined if people think it takes away from the main topic. Just thought it might be good to help people’s understanding by highlighting the distinctions in the two cases to be laid out clearly because in a side by side snapshot they can look quite similar, so people might think that they should be treated similarly / the motivation behind them might be similar. My gut tells me their different but I find it hard to articulate exactly why. Is it as simple as it being a man and a woman or is it the different positions they hold, or is it the fact Hermoso has stated it isn’t consensual, or is it the context of the Spanish squad, or maybe all of the above?

I think this article does a good job of answering some of your questions. Power dynamics, both at the individual and the institutional levels, explain why it's a major issue. It's such a familiar situation for many women.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: August 30, 2023, 09:34:46 pm »
Luis Rubiales' mother taken to hospital on third day of hunger strike
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66664374

What kind of a knobhead son would you have to be to allow this to happen?! (even if I am a little dubious about the truth of this case)

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: August 31, 2023, 04:54:12 am »
Luis Rubiales' mother taken to hospital on third day of hunger strike
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66664374

What kind of a knobhead son would you have to be to allow this to happen?! (even if I am a little dubious about the truth of this case)
I've seen some reports that she snuck out the back door of the church and legged it from her planned media interview right at the time her brother/brother in law(?)- once Luis Rubiales' chief of staff at the RFEF - dropped this banger of an expose https://www.elconfidencial.com/espana/2023-08-30/rubiales-salobrena-rfef-chicas-hijas-entrevista_3726413/

No love lost between Luis and Uncle Juan. The latter has spoken publicly before about what Luis and his mates get up and was sued for it.

It's probably safe to say Luis will have made himself a nice little cache of dirty ammo through his time at the RFEF and could take anybody at all down with him if he fancied. Which will partly be why he was rallied behind instead of fired on the spot. Although the RFEF have now finally asked him to resign. He says he won't. Instead, he swanned off to the Alvarez fight on the RFEF dime, allegedly. It's hard to believe he would do such a thing, it's not like there are people now accusing him of misappropriation of funds https://twitter.com/relevo/status/1696865440633344249
https://www.elmundo.es/deportes/futbol/2023/08/30/64ef476f21efa04d6f8b45e0.html

Vilda is also saying he won't resign, despite finally accepting that his position is untenable. The man has absolutely no shame.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 04:58:39 am by kellan »

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #166 on: September 5, 2023, 03:47:36 pm »
Spanish FA have sacked Jorge Vilda.

@rfef
🚨 𝗢𝗙𝗜𝗖𝗜𝗔𝗟 | The RFEF dismisses Jorge Vilda as national coach and sports director.

The coach has been key to the remarkable growth of women's football and leaves Spain as world champion and second in the FIFA ranking.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #167 on: September 5, 2023, 04:15:56 pm »
I think this article does a good job of answering some of your questions. Power dynamics, both at the individual and the institutional levels, explain why it's a major issue. It's such a familiar situation for many women.

Wouldn't power dynamics be a good explanation for Vilda aswel?  His boss was onstage giving a emotional speech, commending him personally and he felt the compelled to clap along with many others.

Seems strange to seemingly sack him for clapping his boss's speech

Offline bidgeir

• Nobody knows until all of a sudden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #168 on: September 5, 2023, 04:20:46 pm »
Wouldn't power dynamics be a good explanation for Vilda aswel?  His boss was onstage giving a emotional speech, commending him personally and he felt the compelled to clap along with many others.

Seems strange to seemingly sack him for clapping his boss's speech

Loads of players dropped the national team due to his "rules" which were incredibly sexist and controlling. Plus he grabbed the breast of his assistant when the teams scored a goal during WC. There are loads of good reasons to sack him.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: September 5, 2023, 05:02:07 pm »
Loads of players dropped the national team due to his "rules" which were incredibly sexist and controlling. Plus he grabbed the breast of his assistant when the teams scored a goal during WC. There are loads of good reasons to sack him.

Most of the reporting that I have seen makes no reference to his rules being sexist, after winning the world cup he can say his rules were justified. The grabbing of the breast would appear to be accidental, he seemed to be looking in the other direction

I'm not sure there were good reasons to sack him and I think there are good reasons to keep him. If the managers that lost keep their jobs and yet you can get fired a few days after winning the world cup, for (at least seemingly) clapping your boss after he publically gave you a pay rise, it makes it look like results don't matter, so why should the average sports fan care more about the sport than the participants.
« Last Edit: September 5, 2023, 05:11:43 pm by markmywords »

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: September 5, 2023, 05:23:12 pm »
Most of the reporting that I have seen makes no reference to his rules being sexist, after winning the world cup he can say his rules were justified. The grabbing of the breast would appear to be accidental, he seemed to be looking in the other direction

I'm not sure there were good reasons to sack him and I think there are good reasons to keep him. If the managers that lost keep their jobs and yet you can get fired a few days after winning the world cup, for (at least seemingly) clapping your boss after he publically gave you a pay rise, it makes it look like results don't matter, so why should the average sports fan care more about the sport than the participants.

The outcome of the team winning the tournament doesn’t justify the rules.

I’m just trying to remember how many times I’ve accidentally grabbed breasts. Yeah, it’s definitely zero. How about you?
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: September 5, 2023, 05:56:28 pm »
So I was talking to a friend about this the other day and they brought up the Neville/Scholes kiss from years back and asked whether that would be interpreted in the same manner today as this has or whether there is a reason why it wouldn’t be. It stumped me really because I’m just not sure. Be interested to see what the thoughts are of people here, although I’m happy for this to be sidelined if people think it takes away from the main topic. Just thought it might be good to help people’s understanding by highlighting the distinctions in the two cases to be laid out clearly because in a side by side snapshot they can look quite similar, so people might think that they should be treated similarly / the motivation behind them might be similar. My gut tells me their different but I find it hard to articulate exactly why. Is it as simple as it being a man and a woman or is it the different positions they hold, or is it the fact Hermoso has stated it isn’t consensual, or is it the context of the Spanish squad, or maybe all of the above?

The word consent should  be enough to win that argument

Im reminded of this which is nice

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: September 8, 2023, 02:10:27 pm »
I saw the headline for this article on the Guardian and thought "nailed it, that's exactly what I think" : https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/sep/08/emma-hayes-interview-chelsea-manager-spain-world-cup-
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline bidgeir

• Nobody knows until all of a sudden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #173 on: September 8, 2023, 02:28:10 pm »

Some of the rules were, in my opinion, sexist. Unlocked rooms and checking bags. That would never happen in mens football and is therefore sexist (again in my opinion). When 15 players who play regularly drop the team and complains it´s usually something more than misunderstanding.

And grabbing breast accidentially. Give me break. How clumsy would you have to be to have an open palm and cup the breast accidentally. It´s not like he brushed his hand over it.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #174 on: September 9, 2023, 12:30:01 pm »

'Copa 71: when 112,500 fans packed out the unofficial Women’s World Cup final':-

The tournament in Mexico has been all but forgotten about for nearly 50 years. A Venus and Serena Williams executive produced film aims to correct the record

www.theguardian.com/football/2023/sep/08/copa-71-when-112500-fans-packed-out-the-unofficial-womens-world-cup-final

a snippet...

'Brandi Chastain is the star of the opening scene of Copa 71, a documentary poised to change how the history of women’s sport is remembered. Chastain is not talking about her famous moment in 1999, when she ripped off her shirt to celebrate winning the World Cup for the United States in front of 90,000 fans at the Rose Bowl.

Instead, Chastain is seen watching footage of another match played in front of a packed stadium. But she is trying to guess which one. “That’s a massive stadium … that’s a men’s football match …” She stops as she sees the players.

“It’s women’s football? What?! OK. What year is this?”

Chastain is told by a voice off camera that the footage is from 1971.

“This is unbelievable,” Chastain says. “Why didn’t I know about this?”

We are all Brandi Chastain, it turns out. Why didn’t we know about a women’s football tournament held in Mexico in 1971, 20 years before Fifa hosted its first Women’s World Cup? Or that the tournament included sold out games, each played in front of more than 100,000 paying fans? That tournament – played between teams from Mexico, England, Argentina, France, Italy, and Denmark – has until recently been one of sport’s best kept secrets.'

'Copa 71 - First Look 30"':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/QHUkvgzNXdw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/QHUkvgzNXdw</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/QHUkvgzNXdw
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: September 9, 2023, 05:34:41 pm »
Just flipping thru the tv channels and The NWSL Challenge Cup final is on CBS here,North Carolina v Louisville,pre-game just started,should be on the usual streaming sites.
Just kicked off,lot of empty seats,i guess they're up against college sports at this time of day.
10 minutes in,weather delay,lightning in the area,yikes looks motherfucking dark in the sky down there!
« Last Edit: September 9, 2023, 05:52:16 pm by Boston always unofficial »

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: September 9, 2023, 05:50:42 pm »
Just flipping thru the tv channels and The NWSL Challenge Cup final is on CBS here,North Carolina v Louisville,pre-game just started,should be on the usual streaming sites.
Just kicked off,lot of empty seats,i guess they're up against college sports at this time of day.
Not often the NWSL is on at a reasonable time for me, so I've seated myself for this one. I hope it plays out better that the one I tried to watch the other week that got paused because of the heat. That carried on without me, I couldn't be bothered waiting for it to restart. Only thing I ended up learning was that VAR is in use over there.

Chelsea vs Roma the other night was used as a trial for it being introduced in England.

edit: six seconds after hitting post.... weather delay  ;D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: September 10, 2023, 05:32:40 pm »
I guess they lost the spot on CBS cos of the rain delay and the restart was streaming only.I went  to the pub instead of waiting.
https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/north-carolina-vs-racing-louisville-score-courage-wins-second-straight-nwsl-challenge-cup-after-long-delay/live/.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #178 on: September 10, 2023, 09:25:31 pm »
#Sausages

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: September 11, 2023, 11:14:05 am »
They got there in the end. Good riddance
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: September 11, 2023, 04:58:59 pm »
I should really have had 'does an exclusive interview with Piers Moron' on my prediction list of what comes next in this saga, but for some reason, I did not.
I'd really like to see FIFA hand this prick a lifetime ban. 100% the type to try and weasel his way back in somewhere.

On a semi-related note: I happened to be watching a bit of Cartagena vs Real Zaragoza yesterday while I waited for something else to start and Victor Mollejo of RZ decided to do what I shall, from now on, call the Rubiales celebration after scoring the last minute winner. If I had a penny for every time a bald Spanish man grabbed his crotch at a football match, I'd have two pennies. Which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice.

I'm not convinced it isn't the same man.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #181 on: September 11, 2023, 05:25:38 pm »

I'm not convinced it isn't the same man.

Right is when you order left on Wish.

Both will be played by Anthony 'Noho Hank' Carrigan from Barry in the inevitable Netflix movie

"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: September 14, 2023, 07:06:24 am »
Spain is having a reckoning. Isa Balado, a reporter, was groped while filming a live segment. The news anchor didn’t let it go and asked to turn the cameras on the groper. He was later arrested. Beautiful to see.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: September 18, 2023, 04:49:24 pm »
Spain have just announced their latest squad. The last time players were striking, none of them were called up. This time, some have been selected - even Mapi Leon and Patri, who refused to go back even for the sake of a World Cup *

Of the 23 in this squad, 15 were at the World Cup. 2 of those have, in the last week, broken rank and declared themselves available for the national team. But in total, 21 of the 23 are part of the strike group.

Who even knows what happens next. The potential repercussions should the players not turn up go far beyond FIFA action. RFEF issues every player in Spain with a playing licence, and it's a quirk of Spanish employment law that refusing a national team call up can result in that licence being revoked, which would prevent players from fulfilling even their club duties. Players could also be sued / fined 30k. And then on the actual match fulfilment side of things, we could see forfeits being necessary. Even if the players do turn up, they might well take to the pitch just to sit down on it.

*edit: missed this part in all the drama, but Claudia Pina - who remained with Mapi and Patri in sitting out the WC - has also been selected... but not for the seniors. She's been called up just to be able to kick her back down to the u23s. RFEF really are just out to be spiteful bastards, to these three in particular.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 08:52:34 am by kellan »

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: September 19, 2023, 08:46:54 am »
Fcking madness. Wins a World Cup. Get's molested. Doesn't get to wear the gold WC badge on her jersey on their first outing as champions.

Jenni Hermoso Responds to Being Excluded From Spain's Women's Soccer Team Roster: 'Protect Me From What?'

The World Cup winner was not included on the new roster, but 20 players who signed a letter refusing to play were

Jenni Hermoso was not called up to join Spain's women's national football team roster for upcoming matches against Sweden and Switzerland. However, 20 players who planned to boycott the team until major changes were made to the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) were.

When explaining why Spain's all-time leading scorer was not included, new coach Montse Tomé called it the "best way to protect her," per USA Today.

"The first thing to say is that we are with Jenni in everything," Tomé said. "We have believed that the best way to protect her in this call is like this."

"Protect me from what?" Hermoso began in a statement she shared in Spanish and English on social media Monday.

"Let's be clear: a claim was made today stating that the environment within the federation would be safe for my colleagues to rejoin yet at the same press conference it was announced that they were not calling me as a means to protect me," Hermoso wrote, referring to player safety.

After her team's World Cup victory over England, then-RFEF boss Luis Rubiales was seen kissing several players on the face, including Hermoso, during their celebration.

"Protect me from what? And from whom? We have been searching for weeks - months, even - for protection from the RFEF that never came," the 33-year-old striker continued. "The people who now ask us to trust them are the same ones who today disclosed the list of players who have asked NOT to be called up."

Tomé said she decided not to call up Hermoso “to protect her” following the controversy surrounding Rubiales' nonconsensual kiss after the World Cup final. In the aftermath, Rubiales doubled down on his defense of his actions during an emergency assembly, claiming he'd become a victim of "social assassination" and "false feminism" while addressing the incident, per the New York Times.

In her statement, Hermoso claimed her teammates believed that not calling all of them to practice was a means to "intimidate" them.

"The players are certain that this is yet another strategy of division and manipulation to intimidate and threaten us with legal repercussions and economic sanctions," she wrote, adding, "It is yet more irrefutable proof that shows that even today nothing has changed."

Hermosa finished her statement by offering her full support to her colleagues who were "forced to react to another unfortunate situation caused by the people who continue to make decisions within the RFEF."

Prior to Tomé's announcement of the Spanish team's roster, the RFEF said in a statement that it was committed to change.

"We guarantee a safe environment for the players and advocate for a climate of mutual trust so that we can work together and ensure that women's football continues to progress much stronger," the federation said.

Days after the World Cup win, FIFA suspended Rubiales for 90 days for the kiss, which Hermosa has said was unsolicited. Rubiales says the kiss was "consensual."

In a statement, FIFA said that the ban would bar him "from all football-related activities at national and international level," and he was also told to "refrain, through himself or third parties, from contacting or attempting to contact the professional player of the Spanish national football team Ms. Jennifer Hermoso or her close environment. "

After Rubiales' public defense of his actions, Hermoso issued her own statement in August. "Simply put, I was not respected," she wrote. "I felt vulnerable and a victim of an impulse-driven, sexist, out of place act without any consent on my part."

The RFEF issued an apology to "the football world" on Sept. 5, and announced the dismissal of head coach Jorge Vilda, who had coached the World Cup-winning team. Vilda reportedly applauded Rubiales' remarks at the emergency assembly, per USA Today.

On Sept. 10, Rubiales, 46, shared a statement on X, formerly known as Twitter, announcing he had officially resigned as president of the federation.

"I have faith in the truth and I will do everything in my power so that it prevails," he wrote in a bolded section of the statement.

https://people.com/jenni-hermoso-issues-statement-on-behalf-of-spains-womens-soccer-teams-roster-release-7971456
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: September 19, 2023, 06:46:40 pm »

Gonna be a news/press conference today,i think at 2 p.m to announce it.Not sure on where they'll play yet.The Stadium they've been chatting about is not good,poor location etc.And the way things happen around here dunno if it would be ready for 2026 and i guess i won't be able to afford to live in the city by then!

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: September 20, 2023, 11:54:29 am »
Gonna be a news/press conference today,i think at 2 p.m to announce it.Not sure on where they'll play yet.The Stadium they've been chatting about is not good,poor location etc.And the way things happen around here dunno if it would be ready for 2026 and i guess i won't be able to afford to live in the city by then!
Oddly happy to see this news. I've never really 'had' an NWSL team, but I suppose I did once default to rooting for Boston Breakers just because of the links between Liverpool/Boston and how that team went through a spell of taking ex-Liverpool women faces.

I think I'd prefer to see the Breakers resurrected over the creation of a brand new club. I'm going to assume the plan is the latter?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: September 20, 2023, 08:44:08 pm »
I've not seen any mention of a nickname yet.Dunno if Breakers name is owned by someone else,but they might wanna go with a completely fresh start.Most of the nwsl names are a bit lame so just keep it Boston.The stadium is right next to the zoo so they could take their pick of generic tough animal names. It;s a bit of a dodgy location and they've  alot of work to do in such a short time. Current capacity is about 10,000.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: September 21, 2023, 09:12:45 pm »
Just seen that Sheffield United's Maddy Cusack has died at just 27. Played more than 100 games for the club. Awful news :(

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/sep/21/tributes-to-sheffield-united-player-maddy-cusack-who-has-died-aged-27
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: September 28, 2023, 08:52:40 pm »
And we're off.https://www.universalhub.com/2023/jp-roxbury-residents-say-soccers-kick-and-all-they#comments.I still think they are better off revamping and partnering up with one of the uni stadiums than going this inner city route.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #190 on: October 6, 2023, 09:01:28 am »
This won't go down too well in certain quarters.

Kevin Keegan says he ‘doesn’t like listening to ladies talk about men’s football’

Keegan said he has ‘a problem’ with ‘an England lady footballer’ talking about the men’s game
Kevin Keegan has said that he does not like to listen to female pundits speak about the England men’s team.

Keegan admitted that he has “a problem” with “an England lady footballer” providing expert analysis on Gareth Southgate’s team.

The 72-year-old made the comments while appearing in front of an audience of 250 people who bought tickets to An Evening With Kevin Keegan OBE in Bristol.

In comments reported by The Times, he said: “I’m not as keen, I’ve got to be honest, and it may not be a view shared. I don’t like to listen to ladies talking about the England men’s team at the match because I don’t think it’s the same experience. I have a problem with that.

“If I see an England lady footballer saying about England against Scotland at Wembley and she’s saying, ‘If I would have been in that position I would have done this’, I don’t think it’s quite the same. I don’t think it crosses over that much.”

His comments drew some applause from those at the event before the former Newcastle and England star then said he was fully supportive of the development of women’s football.

“The presenters we have now, some of the girls are so good, they are better than the guys. It’s a great time for the ladies,” he continued.

“It is a great time for the ladies’ game. When I was England manager [from February 1999 to October 2000], I went to coach the England ladies and I had this perception of what the quality would be like and they were so much better than I thought they were going to be.

“I joined in and then I thought, ‘I’m getting out of this’. I couldn’t get the bloody ball and one of them nutmegged me, that finished me off.”

During the evening, the once-famed footballer admitted that he doesn’t watch the sport that forged him such a successful career as much as he used to.

“There’s a lot of football on TV now, I’m very selective,” he said. “I used to watch almost every match but now it’s just if it’s [his former clubs] Newcastle or Liverpool, or Southampton to a lesser degree.

“I even find with Man City they are good but they can be quite boring to watch because of the pass, pass. I don’t think there is anything wrong with knocking a ball into the box. It’s not as exciting as it was.”

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/kevin-keegan-says-he-doesnt-like-listening-to-ladies-talk-about-mens-football-408308?fbclid=IwAR3XMmJuQO5F_K-5AFIPe9tNXmFP1Gx1J3IdEAPkFDCuqklGEUPoSxf_ptE

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #191 on: October 30, 2023, 03:14:06 pm »

'Luis Rubiales banned from football for three years over Jenni Hermoso kiss':-

Conduct at Women’s World Cup final prompts ban from game
Former RFEF president eventually quit his role after scandal

www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/30/luis-rubiales-banned-from-football-for-three-years-over-jenni-hermoso-kiss

Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: October 30, 2023, 03:59:20 pm »
A three year ban feels like such a weird response in his kind of role. Surely his old position is untenable regardless? I doubt he could return in three years and people would be fine with it.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: November 4, 2023, 05:36:53 pm »
Chelsea have announced that the USSF have nabbed Emma Hayes. Really weird timing, this. She isn't taking up the role until after the end of the season (though it seems she might actually be going along to their camps during international windows between then and now?) and the news was dropped on the players right after their match today.

Mixed reactions, to say the least. But anything that might help knock them off their perch is fine by me. They've had enough league titles in a row.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: November 6, 2023, 06:33:50 pm »
Katie Stengel came off the bench to score the winner in the NWSl semi-final against holders Portland,they play OL Reign in the final, # 6 v #4  for the title. Dunno if it's Saturday or Sunday.

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #195 on: November 6, 2023, 09:49:58 pm »

'Spain's Hermoso received threats over Rubiales' unsolicited kiss':-

www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/38833640/spain-hermoso-received-threats-rubiales-unsolicited-kiss

'Spain international Jenni Hermoso, speaking publicly for the first time since winning the World Cup, told GQ in an exclusive interview that she underwent counseling after receiving threats over the unsolicited kiss she received from then-Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) president Luis Rubiales after the final victory.

Rubiales, who stepped down on Sept. 10, is facing criminal charges for kissing Hermoso on the lips without her consent during the awards ceremony after Spain beat England to win the Women's World Cup Aug. 20 in Sydney.

Hermoso told GQ Magazine: "I have had to suffer the consequences of an act that I did not provoke, that I did not choose and that was not premeditated. I have received threats and this is something that you never get used to.

"These past weeks have been very difficult but thanks to my psychologist, I feel strong and I am not defeated and I don't have thoughts about quitting football. I am not disenchanted."'

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: November 7, 2023, 08:37:17 am »
It will be interesting to see what happens with the Rubiales criminal charges. Jenni, Alexia, Irene and Misa gave their statements to Spanish prosecutors before Rubiales gave his, and all four statements were leaked in full to the Spanish media in time for him to be able to base his statement around theirs.

As for Vilda... he is now in charge of Morocco's women's team. That would be the same Morocco who are co-hosting the men's World Cup with Spain. I'm sure absolutely nothing dodgy has gone on there. Will not at all be the case that the RFEF told Vilda to go quietly so as to not affect the World Cup bid and in exchange they would have a word with the Moroccan FA to get him a job there. The Portuguese FA would never have played ball on that, of course. But Morocco were more than happy to ditch the manager who

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #197 on: March 4, 2024, 05:23:11 pm »

'A pioneering women's World Cup erased from history':-

Copa 71: Film shows record-breaking women's World Cup

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68422607

'Copa 71 is released in UK cinemas on Friday, 8 March.'

Hopefully it'll get a TV/stream release soon after.

Copa 71 - Official UK Trailer:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tXx5usO4v2E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tXx5usO4v2E</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/tXx5usO4v2E

« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 04:30:30 pm by oojason »

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #198 on: March 11, 2024, 04:35:34 pm »

A quality 12 minute piece on the Copa 71 film - in TAW's 'Liverpool 1 Man City 1' video from today (it starts at 40 minutes and 20 seconds in):-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zSuqj-U9VpI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zSuqj-U9VpI</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/zSuqj-U9VpI

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: March 14, 2024, 05:32:59 pm »
Put this here,https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68553323.New stadium for the Kansas City Womens team.Meanwhile the new Boston team is getting sued to stop the redevelopment of the crappy white stadium,https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2024/03/07/what-to-know-about-white-stadiums-renovation-as-judge-weighs-decision/.My only gripe is the location it's not on or close to the subway and borders a dodgy part of town which may keep the suburban soccer moms away.