Author Topic: Xherdan Shaqiri - Sponsored by The Cube  (Read 450674 times)

Offline lucid-tentacles

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Living for the moment
Re: Xherdan Shaqiri - Confirmed!
« Reply #560 on: July 29, 2018, 11:08:45 am »
Get it INXS
I don't mind waitin', don't mind waitin'
Cause no matter how long it takes
All of us know
That it's getting better
Growing stronger, warm and wilder
Getting better everyday,

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #561 on: July 29, 2018, 11:22:36 am »
If is able to play as an '8' and put in performances as close to that against better opposition then that will change everything, because when it comes to the difference between challenging for the league and winning it, we need extra creativity in that role. One area where we are lagging behind City with their De Bruyne-Silva combo, but if he can translate that sort of showing when we play genuine opposition then a Keita-Shaqiri combo is going to be something else.
I doubt he has the lungs for starting in midfield. Maybe off the bench if we need a goal.

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #562 on: July 29, 2018, 11:45:35 am »
Wonderful goal.

He has a great first touch. Great player to have in our squad.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #563 on: July 29, 2018, 11:46:41 am »
I doubt he has the lungs for starting in midfield. Maybe off the bench if we need a goal.

Or from the start for 60-70 minutes.

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #564 on: July 29, 2018, 11:50:26 am »
He's a Swiss Bull Terrier. How much did we steal him for?
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #565 on: July 29, 2018, 11:58:14 am »
I said at the time he was first rumoured, if we'd had him off the bench in the CL final as opposed to Lallana when Salah got done it might still have been a different story.  We relied on Salah / Mane / Firmino with no obvious back up all last season.

Now we have it :-)
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline Zaffarious

• likes 2 mins from the toilet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Militant Fan
« Reply #566 on: July 29, 2018, 12:00:13 pm »
he looked very impressive. he made alot of runs in behind and came deep. he had alot of variety to his play and then ofcourse, the worldie goal to top it off.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #567 on: July 29, 2018, 01:00:26 pm »

Why?
Better looking than Samie.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #568 on: July 29, 2018, 01:01:36 pm »
Why?

Come on POP dont you know the narrative, he can't run for long periods of time,etc.. lazy fecker,etc...

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #569 on: July 29, 2018, 01:06:23 pm »
Shaqiri Shaqiri!!! Oh Shaqiri when you score like that, The Kop starts bouncing and we all go mad. Shaqiri Shaqiri!!!

repeat for ten minutes.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #570 on: July 29, 2018, 01:06:30 pm »
Pretty sure he finished all the games he started with Stoke. That says his fitness levels are fine.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #571 on: July 29, 2018, 01:07:43 pm »
Pretty sure he finished all the games he started with Stoke. That says his fitness levels are fine.
The fitness levels needed for playing for stoke and midfield for us will be different though.

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
« Reply #572 on: July 29, 2018, 01:11:52 pm »
Don't think his fitness is as bad as some make out. New training regime will make him sharper surely. Can see him playing with real intensity this season like a man with something to prove. Him and Studge could be game changers off the bench, but I think they'll both start some games.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #573 on: July 29, 2018, 01:36:21 pm »
He's a Swiss Bull Terrier. How much did we steal him for?

13.5m or something like that. Probably be worth four times that by the end of the season!

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #574 on: July 29, 2018, 01:46:35 pm »
Why?
Every game I've seen him, he spends a lot of time walking around. That's fine if you're the primary attacking outlet for stoke or Switzerland. Playing midfield for Klopps Liverpool is something else.
Never seen him actually try to play midfield for a whole game so maybe I'm completely wrong. But I don't think he will start in midfield for us.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #575 on: July 29, 2018, 01:48:58 pm »
Every game I've seen him, he spends a lot of time walking around. That's fine if you're the primary attacking outlet for stoke or Switzerland. Playing midfield for Klopps Liverpool is something else.
Never seen him actually try to play midfield for a whole game so maybe I'm completely wrong. But I don't think he will start in midfield for us.

Klopp wouldn't have bought him if he thought that he was just going to walk around a lot. Here he doesn't have to be the main man and with Klopp's much better management skills than any of Stoke's latest managers, he'll be much improved.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #576 on: July 29, 2018, 01:59:36 pm »

That's really not any basis for saying a player "doesn't have the lungs for midfield" though.

Incidentally, though - 24% of every player's actions in football is.... walking

:D

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #577 on: July 29, 2018, 02:14:10 pm »
What I like about him is that Klopp said he wanted to stay with the squad and forego his holiday after the World Cup. Sounds like a player with a point to prove and last night will have given him confidence.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #578 on: July 29, 2018, 02:17:04 pm »
What I like about him is that Klopp said he wanted to stay with the squad and forego his holiday after the World Cup. Sounds like a player with a point to prove and last night will have given him confidence.

It wouldn't shock me if we start to hear stories about Shaqiri like the ones we heard about Suarez, and his total love of the game and playing it whenever possible. He comes across to me as someone who loves being a professional footballer, not because of money and fame, but because he gets to do football every single day, and get paid for it.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #579 on: July 29, 2018, 02:24:07 pm »

He seems really happy to be here, think he probably realises Stoke was a waste of precious years in a relatively short career and now he wants to prove to everyone that this is the level he's actually at.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #580 on: July 29, 2018, 02:28:48 pm »
Can't imagine his fitness being that much of an issue; Klopp would have covered that already.  Fabinho is getting his fitness up so I imagine Shaqiri will be working equally hard.

At the very least he'll make an excellent impact sub and League Cup contributor for the first third of the season or so, and probably play more as Klopp looks to rotate over and beyond Christmas. 
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #581 on: July 29, 2018, 02:35:26 pm »

If anyone has a really good idea about his stamina and fitness levels even before joining, it'd be liverpool, being as Kornmayer was his trainer for 2 and a half seasons in germany. They'll already have had the detailed reports from him on how good he is in that regard.

Not saying he's going to start there, but I'd be pretty confident he has the stamina for it.

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #582 on: July 29, 2018, 02:42:48 pm »
what a debut . what a goal . get in lad  :hally

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #583 on: July 29, 2018, 03:05:06 pm »
It wouldn't shock me if we start to hear stories about Shaqiri like the ones we heard about Suarez, and his total love of the game and playing it whenever possible. He comes across to me as someone who loves being a professional footballer, not because of money and fame, but because he gets to do football every single day, and get paid for it.

I mean this is a chap who practises bicycle kicks!

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #584 on: July 29, 2018, 03:19:34 pm »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #585 on: July 29, 2018, 03:20:31 pm »
He clicked right away. My favorite part, up until the goal, was how he made the run for the ball over the top and then pushed that manc out of the way and set up Daniel for his goal. Always involved, always looking for the ball. Very positive.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #586 on: July 29, 2018, 03:24:22 pm »
Looks a perfect fit ...

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #587 on: July 29, 2018, 03:51:03 pm »
That's really not any basis for saying a player "doesn't have the lungs for midfield" though.

Incidentally, though - 24% of every player's actions in football is.... walking

:D

Well i studied him in the WC and yes sometimes he is walking however he is in fact placing himself in a position for the defenders to recycle the ball to, for me what i have seen so far is a very intelligent footballer who makes himself a great outlet for the defenders to find and then he sets up the attacking phase.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #588 on: July 29, 2018, 03:53:59 pm »
Shaqiri - His (bicycle) kicks don't lie.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #589 on: July 29, 2018, 04:09:07 pm »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #590 on: July 29, 2018, 04:32:41 pm »
Well i studied him in the WC and yes sometimes he is walking however he is in fact placing himself in a position for the defenders to recycle the ball to, for me what i have seen so far is a very intelligent footballer who makes himself a great outlet for the defenders to find and then he sets up the attacking phase.

The difference is that at Stoke he was probably stood there thinking "I hope the ball comes to me", whereas now he'll be thinking "The ball will arrive in 5...4...3...2...Yoink!" :D

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #591 on: July 29, 2018, 04:56:46 pm »
He wasn’t a signing that excited me at first, but even ignoring the amazing goal I was really impressed with his performance. His first touch and control in tight areas and the little passes round the corners when under pressure were superb.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #592 on: July 29, 2018, 05:00:16 pm »
Looks a perfect fit ...

...for Tetris.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #593 on: July 29, 2018, 05:03:00 pm »
He wasn’t a signing that excited me at first, but even ignoring the amazing goal I was really impressed with his performance. His first touch and control in tight areas and the little passes round the corners when under pressure were superb.

Those round the corner passes were what impressed me the most. Showed a level of awareness and technical ability that I wasn’t sure he possessed.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #594 on: July 29, 2018, 05:22:49 pm »
Those round the corner passes were what impressed me the most. Showed a level of awareness and technical ability that I wasn’t sure he possessed.
I’m the same, it’s something I never realised he had. But seeing him with his back to goal, controlling the ball in an instant and then playing a cute pass to someone behind him was really encouraging.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #595 on: July 29, 2018, 05:37:43 pm »

Haha!
Love the decision to add a more "fitting" style of hair. ;D
#Willy Wonka Jnr

*edit, and how long did you scour for that perfect expression on his face that matched the pic. Haha!
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #596 on: July 29, 2018, 05:45:56 pm »
Over 3 seasons he played on average 81 minutes per PL game he took part in for Stoke.
Last season he played 89% of the maximum possible PL minutes.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #597 on: July 29, 2018, 05:50:31 pm »
The fitness levels needed for playing for stoke and midfield for us will be different though.

Thankfully, that aspect of fitness is very, and easily, trainable.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #598 on: July 29, 2018, 06:05:20 pm »
He's been getting a bit of negative press from his ex teammates, probably wanted him to save them single handed from relegation (what a bunch of snides trying to distance themselves from resposabilty )

Shaqiri has gone from world at his feet at Bayern to playing with the likes of Charlie Adams at Stoke, pretty much like putting Alonso in a mclaren. ( you can't polish a turd)

He's just at the right age for his next development, over to you herr Klopp.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #599 on: July 29, 2018, 07:20:10 pm »
Haha!
Love the decision to add a more "fitting" style of hair. ;D
#Willy Wonka Jnr

*edit, and how long did you scour for that perfect expression on his face that matched the pic. Haha!
haha its the same one from when hes laughing with klopp when he signed ;D