Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 617928 times)

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #11000 on: April 23, 2024, 07:50:55 pm »
Those are the rumours mate.  :D
Thought it was reported he'd agreed personal terms and we just needed to negotiate with Sporting on his release fee?

Can't be right. Nobody's paying him 40m euros. That's like Guardiola/Simeone money.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #11001 on: April 23, 2024, 07:51:42 pm »
Thought it was reported he'd agreed personal terms and we just needed to negotiate with Sporting on his release fee?

Can't be right. Nobody's paying him 40m euros. That's like Guardiola/Simeone money.

Half of European clubs will be looking at a new manager. He can pretty much pick any one of them.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11002 on: April 23, 2024, 07:52:26 pm »
Half of European clubs will be looking at a new manager. He can pretty much pick any one of them.

And yet he is talking to West Ham

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11003 on: April 23, 2024, 07:53:07 pm »

He'd be daft not to tbf.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11004 on: April 23, 2024, 07:53:51 pm »
Not true mate he wants £10m a season over 3 years and Klopp is on around £15m.

Someone has twisted it saying he wants £30m to make it look that way.
That makes much more sense. And it's pretty much what we'd have needed to pay Xabi if he left Leverkusen so what's the problem? FSG being mingebags at the wrong time and place.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11005 on: April 23, 2024, 07:55:00 pm »
Seriously who cares if his style matches up.

It could be argued we need a clean slate with a new style of play, as we have clearly been living on the edge with our current blueprint over the last few months.
Fucking hell. Do you want us to become Man United with a mish mash of players who don't suit the current manager?

The reason no other team has more points than us is because, despite injuries to critical players like Trent, Klopp expertly used the Academy players who knew what they had to do in a familiar set-up.

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11006 on: April 23, 2024, 07:55:41 pm »
I’m quite pleased with Slot to be honest. Baldness is the main thing against him but he plays good football from what I’ve read and there’ll be continuity regarding set up.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11007 on: April 23, 2024, 07:56:07 pm »
The rumour was he wants £10 million net when Klopp is on £15 million Gross (so less)

I don't believe the rumour but it hasn't been twisted

I doubt it though as who is going to pay who those wages ?

I guess Chelsea/United are daft enough.

Klopp earns way more than what we pay him he is the best and most charismatic man in football bar none and nobody turns down money but we know Klopp isn’t solely about the wage (I now pray you don’t screenshot this in case he does go to Saudi !)

Offline danm77

• Main Stander
« Reply #11008 on: April 23, 2024, 07:56:30 pm »

The more I think about that, it is strange he went and spoke to West Ham.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11009 on: April 23, 2024, 07:56:43 pm »
That makes much more sense. And it's pretty much what we'd have needed to pay Xabi if he left Leverkusen so what's the problem? FSG being mingebags at the wrong time and place.

This is the rumour:

Pedro Sepúlveda
@pedromsepulveda
·
4m
❗️Exclusive. Rúben Amorim's side asked
@LFC
 a three years contract with a salary of £10 million net per year plus a signing fee. Liverpool offered less than that. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

❌ Amorim won't change
@SportingCP
 for
@WestHam

£10 million after tax.

That's roughly £20 million a year from us

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #11010 on: April 23, 2024, 07:57:00 pm »
Fucking hell. Do you want us to become Man United with a mish mash of players who don't suit the current manager?

The reason no other team has more points than us is because, despite injuries to critical players like Trent, Klopp expertly used the Academy players who knew what they had to do in a familiar set-up.

We've had near a decade of playing a certain way right down through the youth system. It's probably why Bradley and Quansah slotted in when called upon. We aren't going to rip that up by picking a candidate who doesn't fit the squad and style

Offline Macc77

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11011 on: April 23, 2024, 07:57:06 pm »

Not picking on you mate, but a large number of posters echo your post. One simple question for you all, who ? (is the equal to Klopp) out there are you bringing in then ?

There is no equal to Klopp, I think we're all resigned to that, and I'm not particularly against Slot or Amorim or anyone really. I just get worried when 'style of play' is seen to be the priority when picking a manager, when so many of them are fairly similar in outlook. If Slot can walk in and those players are intrigued and ready to buy in, he's fine by me. There are no 'must have' solutions for me now that Alonso is out the picture, we'll be taking an educated gamble with anyone. But look at the man and the character before the way he likes to implement a roaming No.9 or an inverted full back IMO.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11012 on: April 23, 2024, 07:59:40 pm »
I doubt it though as who is going to pay who those wages ?

I guess Chelsea/United are daft enough.

Klopp earns way more than what we pay him he is the best and most charismatic man in football bar none and nobody turns down money but we know Klopp isn’t solely about the wage (I now pray you don’t screenshot this in case he does go to Saudi !)

I doubt the rumour too but that's the rumour, let's not twist it to say other people have twisted it. The rumour whether you want to believe it or not is £10 million net of tax per year, making him probably the most well paid manager in the world.

People can say it's FSG being mingebags for a reasonable wage but I don't think that's a reasonable wage for Amorim. But as I say I don't think it is true, but people will twist the rumour, say that twist is true, and FSG are mingebags dickheads

I think more likely is what Reddy said - stylistically Slot was a better fit

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11013 on: April 23, 2024, 08:00:32 pm »
Get ready for the Slot Machine!  All that pressing work will pay off.
King Kenny.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11014 on: April 23, 2024, 08:01:13 pm »
One thing to remember he hasn’t yet been appointed !

I have no idea what he is like as a manger not seen his team play or if I have not really noticed on the one off times I have.

From what I’ve read he seems a likeable guy and he does manage a big side in Holland plus he has managed in Europe so the Rodgers shouts  are way off he came from Watford/Swansea.

It’s worth Remembering too that Rodgers gave us that incredible season yes we won fuck all but I literally couldn’t wait for the next game in that run in, let’s not talk about when that season finished.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11015 on: April 23, 2024, 08:01:23 pm »
I'm here for the Slot right in jokes. (i'm veery late I would imagine without reading)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 08:05:02 pm by red1977 »

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11016 on: April 23, 2024, 08:02:14 pm »
He might be a slot but he is our Slot!

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
    • X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd
« Reply #11017 on: April 23, 2024, 08:04:25 pm »
Martin Jol
Baldy ten Hag
Louis van Gaal
Ruud G
Frank De boer
Hiddink
Red Ronnie

Stuck then. Gio van Bronckhorst has a look of someone who managed West Brom for three months between Gary Megson and Tony Pulis.

Gullit - Chelsea - 1996-98 / Newcastle 1998-99
Jol - Spurs 2004-07 / Fulham 2011-13
Hiddink - Chelsea 2009 / 2015-16
Maulensteen - Fulham 2013-14
Koeman - Southampton 2014-16 / Everton 2016-17
van Gaal - Man Utd 2014-16
Advocaat - Sunderland 2015
De Boer - Crystal Palace 2017
Ten Haag - Man Utd 2022-2024

Not the most inspiring bunch with 3 FA Cups and 1 league cup between them. Compare that to 2 European cup, 21 leagues, 1 UEFA cup and 11 Cups in Holland, and you can see people’s issues.

In fact they’ve won most of the last 3 decades of Dutch League’s between them with only Phillip Cocu (failed at Derby in the Championship), van Bronkhorst (failed at Rangers), McLaren (now an assistant), Vergoosen (interim after Koeman), Gerets (nomadic career), Beenhakker (did well at Real in the 80s), Olsen (international manager), Van Hanegem (did nothing after) and Bobby Robson (great guy), otherwise winning it during that period and that list gets less inspiring as it gets more modern.

That doesn’t mean much though, could probably do this with most title winning managers in other leagues who’ve then come to the premier league given only like 10 managers have won it since 1992. If you said the same of Bundesliga managers when Klopp joined it would have read poorly.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 08:10:33 pm by mikey_LFC »
"Believe you are the best, then make sure that you are." - Shankly

X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd - https://x.com/TheLiverNerd

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11018 on: April 23, 2024, 08:05:47 pm »
Why is this being done so publicly? We’re clearly briefing journalists. Just odd.

To quiet the narrative that Amorim chose WHU over us.

"Didn't want him anyway," etc., etc.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11019 on: April 23, 2024, 08:06:30 pm »
I find the lack of excitement quit insulting to be honest

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #11020 on: April 23, 2024, 08:09:10 pm »
To quiet the narrative that Amorim chose WHU over us.

"Didn't want him anyway," etc., etc.

The talk is that Amorim isn't likely to be going to West Ham anyway

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11021 on: April 23, 2024, 08:10:00 pm »
Feyenoord during Slot's time there have had an average squad age of 23.5, which is the 5th youngest in Holland's top division.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11022 on: April 23, 2024, 08:12:43 pm »
So we actually want almorim?

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11023 on: April 23, 2024, 08:12:59 pm »
So there's still a chance Amorim/his agent comes back to negotiate? He'd be a prize idiot not to.

Wasn't there talk of his agent having completed on an apartment in the city?

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11024 on: April 23, 2024, 08:14:00 pm »
To cause mass panic and hysteria on RAWK

Hehe.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #11025 on: April 23, 2024, 08:15:05 pm »
A couple of really good podcasts on Slot on TAW.  Well worth a listen
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11026 on: April 23, 2024, 08:15:59 pm »
So there's still a chance Amorim/his agent comes back to negotiate? He'd be a prize idiot not to.

I don't think it is money I think it's down to him not being on our list for whatever reason, not the right fit

The person saying all that about his agent and that is the same Portuguese journalist saying he wants so much and all that - basically screams a chance using our name for clicks

The amount on Slot now makes me think he is the one. It's beyond even Amorim levels when Alonso dropped out, it was reported on ITV for Christ sake, it seems real close

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11027 on: April 23, 2024, 08:16:02 pm »

Turns out that bit of news was from that spoofer journo mate.  ;D

Online jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
  • The fight will not be attaining dreams.
« Reply #11028 on: April 23, 2024, 08:16:08 pm »
The options aren’t limited. Arne Slot, Roberto De Zerbi and Ruben Amorim are not the only choices. Why are people peddling this as true?

Zinedine Zidane, Pochettino, Luis Enrique, Nagelsmann, Tuchel, Simeone. All bigger names just off the top of the head. Slot is a huge, huge gamble. As are De Zerbi and Amorim.

We went and got the best man around in 2015 and he’s built us up into an elite club again. He leaves and we’re back to Brendan Rodgers style appointments. It’s madness, we’re not spurs.

Ah yes, the Manchester United recruitment method. Always pays dividends.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11029 on: April 23, 2024, 08:16:45 pm »

then he loses all power.

Edwards: You'll have zero transfer budget.

Amorim: oh, ok.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11030 on: April 23, 2024, 08:17:03 pm »
Am I the only one more content with Slot than Amorim?

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #11031 on: April 23, 2024, 08:18:39 pm »
Feyenoord during Slot's time there have had an average squad age of 23.5, which is the 5th youngest in Holland's top division.

Not sure if that’s good or not?

He’d need to work with more experienced players to win here.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11032 on: April 23, 2024, 08:18:58 pm »
I think we are going for Slot because we wouldn;t have to rip up our entire blueprint for the past decade from Under 9's to the first team. They all play 4-3-3 and Slot plays 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3.

Amorim plays 3-4-3.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11033 on: April 23, 2024, 08:18:59 pm »
Never heard of this guy before yesterday. Then again I never heard of Amorim before he was linked to us. So really I don’t care who we end up with, every option is equally a gamble. We might as well gamble on intensity.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11034 on: April 23, 2024, 08:19:36 pm »

No I am happy too. I had question marks over Amorim stylistically which, if this news is true (and it appears to be) the club had the same questions.

I trust the process and here is a guy that seems to be doing a fantastic job playing how we play. I trust the nerds to get it right and this looks pretty promising

I am quite excited by it honestly

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11035 on: April 23, 2024, 08:19:41 pm »
Never heard of this guy before yesterday. Then again I never heard of Amorim before he was linked to us. So really I don’t care who we end up with, every option is equally a gamble. We might as well gamble on intensity.

it's our identity, after all.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11036 on: April 23, 2024, 08:19:44 pm »
Maybe Amorim wanted money for transfers?

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11037 on: April 23, 2024, 08:19:55 pm »
Makes no sense to me that we wanted almorim and he has turned us down.

If we have made an offer to slot then he was our choice

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11038 on: April 23, 2024, 08:20:13 pm »
Not sure if that’s good or not?

He’d need to work with more experienced players to win here.

Says he like working with younger players and with our batch coming through it works out for him.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #11039 on: April 23, 2024, 08:20:17 pm »

I'd never heard of either of them up until about 2 weeks ago so I can't really answer