Author Topic: The Thread About Kids and How To Raise Them  (Read 19560 times)

Offline ColdSteel

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Thread About Kids and How To Raise Them
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2017, 01:10:51 pm »
I've a 2 and 3 year old. My biggest problem is they insist on having someone sleep with them. So for the sake of actually getting sleep instead of hearing kids cry all night I'll sleep with my son and my wife will sleep with my daughter. We keep trying to ween them off this habit and are often successful in small percentages but once they're sick it starts all over again. Small problem, I know, but ugh....

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: May 29, 2017, 07:01:02 pm »
I've a 2 and 3 year old. My biggest problem is they insist on having someone sleep with them. So for the sake of actually getting sleep instead of hearing kids cry all night I'll sleep with my son and my wife will sleep with my daughter. We keep trying to ween them off this habit and are often successful in small percentages but once they're sick it starts all over again. Small problem, I know, but ugh....

You've both made a rod for your own back there probably taken the easier route earlier by opting for an easier life at the time . Thats going to take an effort now to get out of this habit , it wont happen naturally that they will suddenly not want you there . If there sick then you need to sit with them until there asleep then get in your own bed .

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #122 on: May 29, 2017, 08:01:33 pm »
Yeah..  you've got to take then plunge and break that..

2 or 3 nights should do it.

Just put them back in their own bed after explaining why..  it might take 30'attempts but it's worth it.  Keep your cool and stick to a plan you have agreed with your missus before hand.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #123 on: May 29, 2017, 09:44:34 pm »
No questions, just a vent but aren't vomiting bugs an absolute pain. Had a nice weekend, then my son threw up a few hours ago. Since then my daughter has overtaken him and currently leads 5-3 in the chunder stakes. Wife is feeling sick too. Hoping they improve as need to he back at work tomorrow, for a shit fucking week!

Any tips?  Should they be taking on plenty of water to rehydrate?

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #124 on: May 29, 2017, 09:44:48 pm »

I don't get it. Do ye all go to bed at the same time?

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2017, 09:46:20 pm »
No questions, just a vent but aren't vomiting bugs an absolute pain. Had a nice weekend, then my son threw up a few hours ago. Since then my daughter has overtaken him and currently leads 5-3 in the chunder stakes. Wife is feeling sick too. Hoping they improve as need to he back at work tomorrow, for a shit fucking week!

Whatever they'll keep down, basically. No point in getting loads into them for it to come straight back up.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2017, 10:04:30 pm »
It's great having a vomiting bug in the house... my wife and kids go down with it and I am utterly unaffected..

I seem to be immune to them..  never had one,,
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2017, 10:05:17 pm »
Great? You have to fucking mind them.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2017, 10:16:25 pm »
Great? You have to fucking mind them.
No... my wife is already up vomiting so she does it ....

;D
W

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2017, 10:28:43 pm »

Cooled boiled water and dioralyte to replace lost fluids, salts and minerals.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2017, 10:29:38 pm »
Cooled boiled water and dioralyte to replace lost fluids, salts and minerals.

Coke left to go flat and crisps...same difference!
W

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #131 on: June 5, 2017, 11:12:19 am »
Make sure that it is a pure vomiting bug. My kids will vomit when their temperature spike. Often vomiting is a sign of an ear or chest infection. Calpol and Nurofen in rotation to keep on top of the temperature, and usually wait it out.

With vomiting, training the kids to use a bucket to be sick in is time well spent.  Beyond that, it is just waiting it out.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #132 on: June 5, 2017, 11:35:14 am »
Make sure that it is a pure vomiting bug. My kids will vomit when their temperature spike. Often vomiting is a sign of an ear or chest infection. Calpol and Nurofen in rotation to keep on top of the temperature, and usually wait it out.

With vomiting, training the kids to use a bucket to be sick in is time well spent.  Beyond that, it is just waiting it out.

It was a vomiting bug, all four of us were laid low with it at one point. Kids bounced back fairly quickly but we'll took a few days to get appetites back fully. On the plus side, it gave me the push I needed to start the pre holiday weight loss campaign!

They are good with the buckets though. Had one each by their beds. I was in with my fighter as she was waking every hour for a quick chunder into the bowl, and then she was back off to sleep again within minutes!
« Last Edit: June 5, 2017, 11:36:56 am by Acton Nick »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: June 6, 2017, 04:18:47 pm »
Had me and the Mrs. and the two kids sharing a hotel room for four nights on a trip to see the sick great grandparents.

Fucking hell on earth ;D

No sleep, when one wakes up, the other does too.

Fourteen bags of stuff we had. Still ran out of trousers for the boy. Iesu Crist.

Put me right off ever going away again :lmao

Know your place, Sam - at home, in your comfort zone, there's a reason its called a comfort zone ;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: June 6, 2017, 06:45:29 pm »
Had me and the Mrs. and the two kids sharing a hotel room for four nights on a trip to see the sick great grandparents.

Fucking hell on earth ;D

No sleep, when one wakes up, the other does too.

Fourteen bags of stuff we had. Still ran out of trousers for the boy. Iesu Crist.

Put me right off ever going away again :lmao

Know your place, Sam - at home, in your comfort zone, there's a reason its called a comfort zone ;D

It's mental sharing with kids, they never stop moving .

We had a suite on this holiday, basically a living room and bedroom with two double beds. Plan was to put the kids in one, us in the other. First night they wriggled so much they kept each other awake, I had to share with the 8 yr old, missus in with the other. Been kicked, elbowed, shoved for near two weeks. Last night bigger beds at the airport hotel, so more room, but only slept from 4am til just before 8, kids did quarter to 3 til about 9. Can't wait for my own bed
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #135 on: June 6, 2017, 06:47:12 pm »
It's mental sharing with kids, they never stop moving .

We had a suite on this holiday, basically a living room and bedroom with two double beds. Plan was to put the kids in one, us in the other. First night they wriggled so much they kept each other awake, I had to share with the 8 yr old, missus in with the other. Been kicked, elbowed, shoved for near two weeks. Last night bigger beds at the airport hotel, so more room, but only slept from 4am til just before 8, kids did quarter to 3 til about 9. Can't wait for my own bed

Just a thought, use it don't use it.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: June 6, 2017, 06:50:42 pm »

Oh yes  ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: June 6, 2017, 09:02:52 pm »

:lmao that's amazing.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: June 6, 2017, 11:04:03 pm »
Congrats to Groundskeeper  ;D The Big Five! Nice pic with hand spread aloft on exeunt of hospital please. You'll be keeping that pecker of yours grounded now I'd imagine. I'd like another, but am too old. My girl is 4 in a month, and that's when they start to fly the nest. A day that will be tinged with some sadness.

We had a similar idea with a body suit made out of velcro. Spent many an evening discussing going on Dragon's Den with the idea.

'Good evening... we're here to ask you for a...'

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #139 on: June 6, 2017, 11:28:36 pm »
I'd like another, but am too old. My girl is 4 in a month, and that's when they start to fly the nest. A day that will be tinged with some sadness.

You're kicking her out at four?

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: June 7, 2017, 12:14:49 am »
You're kicking her out at four?

We've only just started talking about it with her.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: June 7, 2017, 07:28:31 am »
The day you leave them at uni is the hardest thing I've had to do with mine , your sorting stuff out with him moving him hundreds of miles from you and all you still see is this  young son who needs your help to do things . We stayed in a hotel in brighton after moving him in and he stayed in his digs ( the smallest room in a not great looking area ) . Got up the morning when we finally were to leave him there and it was like one of them days when you get up and you get dressed knowing your going to a funeral ..horrible feeling .

I know he was shocked how emotional we both were to him but especially me ...don't think he'd ever seen me so upset and the four  hour journey back was pretty quiet . But he settled in eventually all our fears went and the young boy you send away comes home now a young man .

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: June 7, 2017, 08:11:51 am »
Mine are 8 and I'm already dreading that moment
W

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2017, 10:08:42 pm »
Safe to say we're all dreading that University/first flat moment. Saying goodbye for their first day at school is bad enough, but that will be awful. We all dread that. It will kill me seeing my daughter walk into school for the first time tho. They're so free, and fun, and alive before they go to school... school I think just seems to start pissing on their chips. That's a whole new story tho.

Been some chat about sleep politics with kids. I don't have an answer to it but my tuppence: Wife breast fed both children... so they, from early on, just slept in our bed. At times, it was an issue for me, but I'd sleep on a sofa or in the 'spare' (soon to be 'their) room. It did mean that I didn't have to do a milk run at 2/4am tho. There was no way I was going to do that I think so I chose well perhaps. Transferring our first into his own bed was slow and gradual but not too painful. Sure, he'd come into ours at times, but I loved having him crawl back in. Sometimes it woke me so much that I'd have to move out to somewhere else, but it was never really an issue. Same with our 2nd child. If it was up to me, we'd all sleep together in a 4 metre wide bed. I love hearing the tiny patter of feet as my daughter crawls in now - she just walks in, finds a spec in the middle, and zonks out. My 7 year old son rarely does now, but my near 4 year old does it nearly every night.

Was funny tonight... we haven't seen them for a while... they're in their beds... I'm reading... kiss them goodnight... all good... lights out, all normal... then I get a call for a glass of water and I go up and they are both in our bed with mum... 5 mins later, they're dead out. I'll carry them thru later, and our youngest will no doubt crawl back at some point.

I don't know if it's the 'correct' way to do it... but if they want to come in and snuggle up in ours, then they know they can. It also means you don't have to go far for a pillow fight - and is there a better way to wake up than a child of yours jumping up and down on your head at 5:30am? Exactly.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #144 on: June 16, 2017, 09:06:13 am »
Very interesting and educational to follow this thread. Have to say, since I started this thread, there have been very few, if even one, severe tantrum on Devin's part. Sure, the angry outbursts are there, but I'd be worried if he was luke warm all the time.

There is one issue still, that I would like advice on:

How do you make kids realise that it's important to tell the truth? Often with Devin, he does something wrong and then lies about what happened. Even though the other kids tell corroborating stories, even though sometimes I SEE him doing it or HEAR him saying it, he denies it. It can be something more significant, or it can be nothing, he can't be honest about it.

So he compounds the situation by following up one error with another. Often, I get more upset with him for lying than about the underlying incident.

Help please.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: June 16, 2017, 12:48:10 pm »
How do you make kids realise that it's important to tell the truth? Often with Devin, he does something wrong and then lies about what happened. Even though the other kids tell corroborating stories, even though sometimes I SEE him doing it or HEAR him saying it, he denies it. It can be something more significant, or it can be nothing, he can't be honest about it.

So he compounds the situation by following up one error with another. Often, I get more upset with him for lying than about the underlying incident.

Help please.

Beginning to encounter this ourselves with our eldest.

I was also a terrible liar as a kid and I'm blaming genetics ;D

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #146 on: June 17, 2017, 12:00:49 am »
Consistently challenge the lies. Be very disappointed, and threaten to withhold TV / iPad/ pudding. Make lying a bigger deal than the original offence. It is a slog slog of complete consistency.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: June 24, 2017, 02:29:48 am »
With lying... explain to him why it's wrong to lie. Explain to him about what he's trying to gain from lying... by lying - who does that make you become? I had an early 'adult' conversation with mine at the first time of asking. He was trying in on. I think he was seeing other kids at school getting some success with it, so tried it himself. He's always been a bit golden tho, but that doesn't mean he won't try it again. Haven't had that first chat with my near 4 year old daughter tho - but I will.

Kids live in a strange world. They have to deal with their parents making stuff up like 'well... a Stegasaurus may have taken it' when they lose a toy, and 3x3 IS 8 because ... 'no... 3 times 3 is NINE Dad'. 'No it isn't... it's 8!' Look I'll explain'... and then bring in something to do with Zebras. Whatever comes to mind really.

They've alot to work out.

Took my 7 year old to his first gig tonight. Kraftwerk at The Royal Albert Hall in 3D. He was gutted that they didn't play 'The Robots'... curtain closed... I knew what was happening... opened again. I needed that moment.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 02:34:51 am by Filler. »

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #148 on: June 24, 2017, 10:56:24 am »
Slightly different take on it from me:

Kids don't understand right and wrong until they're developed enough (usually around 10 years old). They know they might get a bollocking but truly don't know why. The centres of the brain that 'control' moral development haven't grown and don't fire up (amygdala, hippocampus etc). So, we often ascribe willfulness and badness to behaviour that isn't intended to be such by them. That's why you get "I dunno" to so many why questions. Usually because they actually don't know.

This is an essential read, for me:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.theshulpreschool.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/How-to-Talk-so-Kids-Will-Listen.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjOpsfemdbUAhWrL8AKHdhhCkAQFggdMAA&usg=AFQjCNFrJ4DmjPMcu3rCF-5CXV9eO0UMtw

If you like it, get the book. It's a bestseller for a reason.

Hope it helps someone.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #149 on: June 24, 2017, 11:33:19 pm »
I think they know. They just don't care. That bit of their brain hasn't started firing.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #150 on: June 25, 2017, 01:12:12 am »

Its official name is co sleeping.My 8 year old still does it with both her parents (week on week off custody for both of us). Apparently its not as unusual as you might imagine for divorced couples. Kiddo is an only child and both parents have double beds so its not that big a deal. I've dated a divorced woman whose 13 year old girl still slept with her. In a way I still like it but I can see as she gets a little older she will move to her own room.

Its very different for normal marred couples with more than one kiddo.

From everything I have read co sleeping has no negative effects on the kids at all and at some point they just decide themselves to sleep on their own.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #151 on: June 25, 2017, 01:20:14 am »
I have one that I'm sure others have dealt with.

I have a great relationship with my 8 year old daughter and we are very close for every other week she is with me.

The problem is introducing her to girlfirends.

I have these great ideas of introducing her slowly in short intervals to frankly ony two girlfriends in 5 years, but she is having none of it and just ignores them and is a bit rude, not openly but just rude by not answering questions.

The second gf went ballistic on me afterwards and told me that I was the problem and should have admonished my daughter for being rude. I just dont see it that way and feel the adult should tolerate the childs behaviour. Not long term of course, but for the first three meetings or so while the kid gets the idea of the gf being around.

It has not been easy at all as my kiddo is adamant she doesnt want mum or dad having a gf/bf. Shes gives my ex the same attitude.

Any words of wisdom. Am I wrong ?. I just feel its a lot for a kid to deal to deal with and I just want to let her figure it out over a while and not be ultra firm with her on her first meeting with some stranger.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: June 25, 2017, 08:22:03 am »
I have one that I'm sure others have dealt with.

I have a great relationship with my 8 year old daughter and we are very close for every other week she is with me.

The problem is introducing her to girlfirends.

I have these great ideas of introducing her slowly in short intervals to frankly ony two girlfriends in 5 years, but she is having none of it and just ignores them and is a bit rude, not openly but just rude by not answering questions.

The second gf went ballistic on me afterwards and told me that I was the problem and should have admonished my daughter for being rude. I just dont see it that way and feel the adult should tolerate the childs behaviour. Not long term of course, but for the first three meetings or so while the kid gets the idea of the gf being around.

It has not been easy at all as my kiddo is adamant she doesnt want mum or dad having a gf/bf. Shes gives my ex the same attitude.

Any words of wisdom. Am I wrong ?. I just feel its a lot for a kid to deal to deal with and I just want to let her figure it out over a while and not be ultra firm with her on her first meeting with some stranger.

Tough one that - your daughter obviously wants Mum and Dad together and in her young mind, if she is horrible to people either of you meet then she probably thinks they will go away and then you'll get back together, but she can't be dictating how both of you live your lives, who you date and she cannot be rude to new people.

From the women and men's sides, they need to be understanding, this is a young child these people are meeting and kids don't cope like adults, but at the same time, you can't allow the child to be rude and should both tell her off when she is rude to women or men she meets. You wouldn't allow it if she was meeting someone from work or who is just a mate, so it cannot be allowed with new people in your lives.

My boys are similar ages, almost 7 and just turned 9. If me and the wife split, then I'd get us to sit down together and explain to them that its all over with us and that we will be seeing new people, there are standards of behaviour we expect from them and that means they cannot be rude and that behaviour is making both of you unhappy.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: July 23, 2017, 11:36:40 am »
I need some reassuring words from experienced parents. Our second daughter was born a month ago. Big sister, two years old, reacted well at first but the last week has been hell. It seems like she has understood that the baby is not visiting but is here to stay.
My oldest daughter has been throwing tantrums all over the place. Everything is a struggle. Shoes on/off, changing diapers, walking left instead of right etc. You get my drift. I understand that it must be a shock for her suddenly not being the centre of the universe. I always stay calm and collected but on the inside it's eating me alive. I'm off work as well so there is absolutely no room to breathe. This is a phase, right? If we continue staying calm and doing the "right" things she'll eventually get used to the new situation?

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: July 23, 2017, 12:32:05 pm »
I need some reassuring words from experienced parents. Our second daughter was born a month ago. Big sister, two years old, reacted well at first but the last week has been hell. It seems like she has understood that the baby is not visiting but is here to stay.
My oldest daughter has been throwing tantrums all over the place. Everything is a struggle. Shoes on/off, changing diapers, walking left instead of right etc. You get my drift. I understand that it must be a shock for her suddenly not being the centre of the universe. I always stay calm and collected but on the inside it's eating me alive. I'm off work as well so there is absolutely no room to breathe. This is a phase, right? If we continue staying calm and doing the "right" things she'll eventually get used to the new situation?

Yes it's just a phase she's going through and she will grow out of it. All you can do is stay calm and try to give equal attention to both kids, so that the eldest isn't left out. Get her to help with feeding, bathtimes and dressing, make her feel involved.

My eldest was 2 and a half when his brother was born, he'd had my full attention and suddenly had to share me. He didn't throw tantrums, but he tormented the fuck out of the baby, in his face, constantly bothering him and doing stuff to hi, one time when he was 2 and a half months old, he dragged him from the middle of the floor and stuck him under the Christmas tree. He used to climb all over me when I had the baby and wouldn't give me a minute - made it harder to bond with the baby. They're now 9 and 6 and best mates, do everything together, although like most boys, they also kick the shit out of each other.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #155 on: September 1, 2017, 09:00:40 am »
Best of luck mate. If it's a month to go, I'd be making sure you organise at least one good blow out with some mates now instead of later on nearer the date, as you may be needed to drive a car ;) You don't get a chance after the birth for some time ;D

And if I may pass on one tit-bit of advice regarding birth... make sure you listen to your wife/girlfriend over a midwife. We go into hospitals thinking that a midwife has the experience and knowledge at her fingertips... but actually, your wife has all the info as to what's really going on. It's a day to tick that 'let the wookie win' box 100%.

My baby girl is 7 weeks today. Totally agree with this, we had to fight for her to get an epidural and they made her feel like shit trying to convince her out of it - got pretty frosty at one point with the nurses. In the end they caved which was lucky as she had a really tough birth and she lost a lot of blood. Her and baby got ill and we were in hospital for 9 days. Spoke to about 50 people during that time and they all had different opinions, advice and ways of doing things. It really is about trusting your instinct and doing what's right for you. Anyway I fucking love her the little pooing farting colicky dumpling. And I couldn't respect my wife any more. Reading this thread I'm gonna make the most of the time she can't talk  ;)

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: September 23, 2017, 03:31:32 pm »
At what age is it acceptable to let your kid go somewhere with his mates and not expect to be updated every 15 minutes on his welfare?

My kid is 11, and he's at the leisure centre with a couple of mates from school. I'm sitting in the car park like a weirdo in case he phones me and says something has happened. He doesn't know I'm waiting here and hasn't give me a time to pick him up.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #157 on: September 23, 2017, 03:46:09 pm »
My 14 year old daughter is killing me, cant get her motivated at all and she is missing 2 out of 5 days average in scholl, I'm the hard one at home but we are now at the end of our sanity with her. Both work so cannot be home all day every day with her.

Not easy.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #158 on: September 23, 2017, 03:47:03 pm »
At what age is it acceptable to let your kid go somewhere with his mates and not expect to be updated every 15 minutes on his welfare?

My kid is 11, and he's at the leisure centre with a couple of mates from school. I'm sitting in the car park like a weirdo in case he phones me and says something has happened. He doesn't know I'm waiting here and hasn't give me a time to pick him up.

11 is a bit to young for my liking mate, 13 for that and 16 for town day outs is my law.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: September 23, 2017, 04:24:36 pm »
11 is a bit to young for my liking mate, 13 for that and 16 for town day outs is my law.

Yeah I was a bit iffy with it but didn't want to embarrass him and say he can't go. Obviously plenty of staff in there anyway but sitting here anyway. He'll be raging when I tell him  :D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT