Author Topic: The Thread About Kids and How To Raise Them  (Read 19557 times)

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
The Thread About Kids and How To Raise Them
« on: April 25, 2017, 02:21:12 pm »
Anyone being a parent knows what a blessing kids are, but they also know what a source of frustration they can be.
I have 4 kids, evenly spaced about 2 years apart. Our eldest turns 9 in June. I guess there are as many ways to raise kids as there are users on RAWK and I'm sure many of you have a lot to share about your experiences raising your kids. God knows it's not an easy job and it will make your hair either fall out or turn grey, or even turn grey and then fall off.

The reason I started this thread was to have somewhere to share frustrations, joyful moments, tips about raising kids etc etc and because I am in a pretty dire need of advice. The problem is said soon to be 9-year old. Here it goes:

Whenever things don't go his way or he doesn't get his way, he's liable to throw some severe tantrums, not always, but often. If he wants to play with a friend after school, he gets very dissatisfied and angry. What broke me was earlier today when I picked him up from school and it is a perfect example of how it can go.

So my kid came to the car, a friend in tow. The friend was supposed to be at daycare, or whatever it's called after school, since his parents were working. In an attempt to be nice, I phoned his mom to ask if he could come home with us instead. She didn't answer her phone though, so I called them over and told them it wasn't possible because I couldn't get her permission. As expected, my kid just flips. He gets in the car, starts throwing his gloves at me, screaming foul words, calling me this and that, I'm mean to him, I'm useless, he doesn't want to live in our useless house etc etc. Not a single thought to breathe and think that I tried to make it work, but couldn't. He shouts that he understands it's not my fault but that doesn't stop him from piling on me.

Most of the time, I manage to meet his anger with calm because I know he doesn't mean it, and this is what works best most often, but sometimes I just go over the edge too and get angry and start shouting too. That just escalates things, which I know, but sometimes it gets the better of me. I'm never violent, even though I can grab his arm and talk sternly to him.

Like I said, I never ever let things get to me, but today I just burst out crying. I couldn't help myself. Floodgates just opened. I don't know if that affected him in any way. His anger did seem to disappear, but I haven't interacted with him anymore since it happened, because I sent him to his room when we got home and told him to stay there.

The thing with him is that he has trouble saying sorry when he's done something wrong. Many times we have to tell him to say it. I just feel like after today, a "I'm sorry" isn't enough any more, not in itself. Sometimes he draws a picture that says I'm sorry and I love you.
But this time I want to see some genuine remorse on his part. But I don't know if this is any way to go.

Our other kids can get angry and throw tantrums too, but it's not the same. Our soon to be 7-year old is a bit like his older brother, but nowhere near as regular with it, and he's always very remorseful afterwards and says sorry on his own initiative.

I have diagnosed one problem, and that is I can get very irritable and be in foul moods. Sometimes it shines through. So that is something that I have to work on.

Does anyone else recognise this? Do you have any advice how to handle it, or even how to stop him fom getting so incredibly angry? We've tried punishment, but it doesn't work. He's become immune to them. Tried talking to him, but what we talk about is soon forgotten. But maybe I'm giving up on that solution too soon, maybe it takes a long while for that to bear fruit.

That said, feel free to take the discussion anywhere you like.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 04:31:47 pm by Groundskeeper Willie »
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
Re: The Thread About Kids and How You Raise Them
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 02:54:55 pm »
Clear explanations, consistency and boundaries are key. Listening is part of it, and recognising the triggers, including your own irritability. i would also speak in confidence with a teacher to gauge if there are any pattern at school and keep a diary of bad behaviour to reference any patterns.

Don't give up!!
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 03:01:39 pm »
Clear explanations, consistency and boundaries are key. Listening is part of it, and recognising the triggers, including your own irritability. i would also speak in confidence with a teacher to gauge if there are any pattern at school and keep a diary of bad behaviour to reference any patterns.

Don't give up!!

We have talked to his teacher and he's very good in school. Nice behaviour and popular with friends. Always well behaved when he's at a friend's house. We often hear from the parents that he's such a good kid. His fights are with us and I guess that's how it should be. I'd rather he fights with us than act up when he's visiting someone.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 03:02:43 pm »
Does he only throw tantrums with you in front of his friends?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 03:08:20 pm »
Does he only throw tantrums with you in front of his friends?

No, it's at home too. If we don't think he should play on the Playstation, or if we think it's too late to go outside, or say no to bring a friend over for whatever reason.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 03:14:50 pm »
No, it's at home too. If we don't think he should play on the Playstation, or if we think it's too late to go outside, or say no to bring a friend over for whatever reason.

All I can suggest is to make him understand that his actions have consequences. You're always going to be denying him something or other, that's basically your job so he needs to understand that if he reacts that badly, that will affect how you deal with his next request.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 03:33:39 pm »
All I can suggest is to make him understand that his actions have consequences. You're always going to be denying him something or other, that's basically your job so he needs to understand that if he reacts that badly, that will affect how you deal with his next request.

Yep, tried that too, but maybe not consistently enough. Like, when I tell him to turn off the Playstation and he's acted up, the next time he asks, I say no and explain why. The time after that, I say yes, with the caveat that if he acts up when it's time to stop, there will be a ban on playing for a period of time.

We have tried to prepare him and lay it out to him, how things are going to happen, when, how long, start reminders that now it's so and so much time before you have to stop, but I think we fail with consistency here too. I do think that when we "prepare" him for something and explain before we do it, it helps.

I think that if I had thought about telling him that "I'll phone his mum, but there is a chance she won't answer, so I'm not promising anything" that would have helped.

What I've also done when I ask them to do something and they say no, I say that for every time they say no, I will say no to something they ask me as many times as they do. That gets them going. But again, I fail to stay the course.

Shit, I think I'm getting somewhere here. :)

Thanks to you too Corkboy.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 04:33:29 pm by Groundskeeper Willie »
Love Ren & Stimpy

• Legacy Fan
Re: The Thread About Kids and How To Raise Them
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 07:29:48 am »
To be honest, I thought this thread would explode, but maybe people have got this parenting thing down to a tee. :)
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 08:23:53 am »
To be honest, I thought this thread would explode, but maybe people have got this parenting thing down to a tee. :)

Oh it's a doddle alright!

Was going to say cheers for posting the other day, and then forgot to! Interesting read so far. My oldest is 8 so can relate to some of it. Will definitely be back in here in the future.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 08:25:55 am »
Also have 4 - 17. 15, 9 and 7 - one boy (the 15 year old is relevant to this discussion - sweet boy, loved by all around him, but....).

Very similar behaviour a couple of years ago to what you described (towards his mom especially)- over and above all the other 'normal' methods, we eventually never said no to him in public and then would rescind whatever it was that was 'agreed to' under duress.

That taught him that tantrums actually achieved nothing but a false agreement - so coercing his mom via a tantrum became non productive - now that he's older (still has a temper  on occasion) wifi / Internet lockout is very effective - the horror of being disconnected is too much for him.

Ah yes, one more thing to check for is if he is  eating properly - both the 15 and 7 year olds moods deteriorate dramatically when they've skipped a meal.

On the PlayStation we'd   literally pull the plug out after being given a 10 minute heads up - he soon learnt to stop when asked to stop 'cos he hated that - the moans and squeals about how it messed up his game and his PlayStation was music to the frustrated parents ears (such bad people we are :lmao ).

Good luck. This parenting thing can be rough sometimes.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 08:32:29 am »
Had another similar episode yesterday. Tried to be nice and he exploded. I told his brothers that it was time to go to bed. He overheard and automatically thought it included him (he's usually allowed to stay up a bit longer as he's older). He started banging on the window, so I went in the room and said "you don't have to go to bed, you can stay up for a bit". I don't think he heard a word or was too far gone, because he started shouting that he hates me and he hates our house. And sad to say, I lost my calm, it hit me like an arrow in the heart. Again. Fuck. But I showed my sadness as anger. Idiot. Carried him to his room, undressed him and put him in bed.

After a while we both calmed down and we had another long talk. Told him how it makes me feel when I try to be kind and he responds with being mean. He was very upset and I could tell he felt horrible. He couldn't stop crying. So if I just can keep my end up. I think I will get through in the end.
Love Ren & Stimpy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 08:34:30 am »
Also have 4 - 17. 15, 9 and 7 - one boy (the 15 year old is relevant to this discussion - sweet boy, loved by all around him, but....).

Very similar behaviour a couple of years ago to what you described (towards his mom especially)- over and above all the other 'normal' methods, we eventually never said no to him in public and then would rescind whatever it was that was 'agreed to' under duress.

That taught him that tantrums actually achieved nothing but a false agreement - so coercing his mom via a tantrum became non productive - now that he's older (still has a temper  on occasion) wifi / Internet lockout is very effective - the horror of being disconnected is too much for him.

Ah yes, one more thing to check for is if he is  eating properly - both the 15 and 7 year olds moods deteriorate dramatically when they've skipped a meal.

On the PlayStation we'd   literally pull the plug out after being given a 10 minute heads up - he soon learnt to stop when asked to stop 'cos he hated that - the moans and squeals about how it messed up his game and his PlayStation was music to the frustrated parents ears (such bad people we are :lmao ).

Good luck. This parenting thing can be rough sometimes.

Some sound advice in there. Thanks.

Our kid can actually be meaner to my wife than me. He's made her cry too and one time it happened, he laughed at her! Fucking hell.

About the eating part, he takes after his mum in that they both get in foul moods if they don't eat properly.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 09:00:41 am »
Some sound advice in there. Thanks.

Our kid can actually be meaner to my wife than me. He's made her cry too and one time it happened, he laughed at her! Fucking hell.

About the eating part, he takes after his mum in that they both get in foul moods if they don't eat properly.

On eating I suspect that their blood sugar drops too low and it therefore affects mood (happens to me so I've taught myself to eat small meals at frequent intervals).

One other thing the missus has done when he's gotten into an unreasonable state is to threaten to douse him with a bottle of water  (and done it once or twice) - it's humorous and does not do any harm beyond a bit of wetness.  The aim is to break the lose - lose temper spiral that develops.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 09:12:47 am »
On eating I suspect that their blood sugar drops too low and it therefore affects mood (happens to me so I've taught myself to eat small meals at frequent intervals).

The aim is to break the lose - lose temper spiral that develops.

Great advice. Will try something like that.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 09:27:48 am »
Great advice. Will try something like that.

Heh, just remembered, when he was younger I'd sometimes just put my arms around him and hold him until he calmed down. It's like they back themselves into a corner and then don't know how to navigate their way out - by holding him, without saying anything, you're letting him know that yes, you do love him and, yes, you will keep him safe and yes, you do understand that even he doesn't know why he is feeling the way he is in the moment.

:wave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 09:33:03 am »
I have done something similar with his brother. He can get violent and start hitting and kicking. So I've held him and also pinned him down and either spoken softly or not said anything. Why I pin him on the floor is for my protection as he has thrown his head back and head- butted me when I've had him in my lap. I'm not hurting him in any way, if this method sounds extreme. Not putting any weight or pressure on him. I've told him that that is what is going to happen every time he starts hitting or kicking. Seems to work.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 10:16:31 am »
On the PlayStation we'd   literally pull the plug out

My wife did that to my fella, fried something in the PS, cost me €140 to fix it. Unplugging the wifi is much cheaper.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 11:49:30 am »

Mate, it sounds horrific!

I don't have kids, don't manage them, but adults can display the same raw dickhead behaviour on plenty of occasions. For what it's worth, the first clear issue I can spot here is you assuming humanity, empathy in your kid. Don't. That's pretty much rule number one. We don't do it with adults, we are told not to do it, to assume nothing, even with adults who have undergone the processes, who have seen a bit of life to understand how difficult it can be to survive and live well. With a kid, who has no clue how anything works, more fool you if you assume an existence of any shred of empathy or humanity. All he's ever known in this life is to take, demand and he's taken care of. He breaks you, sees you cry: a common adult reaction is support, to a kid it's just new information, "Oh cool, I do this, this happens to daddy. I'll do it again later" That's it.

Secondly, everything you've ever described here is just an ever spiralling web of power struggles. Is he spoiled? Do you give him any chores to do around the house? 8 or 9 isn't too early to start, is it? Learning new, useful behaviour can only ever start with new information, and for you to create a more human kid, he needs to know how things get done. Teach him, order him to 'create', housework, maintenance. I think the best example of parenting (in my own warped mind no doubt!) I've read on here was one of the posters teaching, working on his bike with his kid. Create. Otherwise it's just a differently repackaged power struggle after power struggle till he leaves home.

I'm sure plenty of parents are gonna smirk and think 'yeah you don't have kids, what do you know', which is fair enough :)

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 12:12:44 pm »
I can relate to the OP. My eldest son is 5 and is prone to throwing tantrums over silly things like us telling him its bedtime or time to stop playing. The tantrums are fairly frequent but tend to blow over quickly. We try to talk things through with him and give him warnings, ie 10 minutes to bedtime. Sometimes they work. If not we'll send him to his room and he's told not to come back until he realises what he's done and is ready to apologise. That usually ends with him in tears and us feeling bad and annoyed at ourselves.

He's a good kid and is very well behaved outside the house, particularly when me and my wife aren't there. But I worry he's a bit timid with other people, even kids his own age. For example, we had him at the park last weekend and he went to go on the big slide, climbed all the way to the top and then didn't come down the slide and ended up climbing back down because other kids were on the slide and pushing past him. I got a bit annoyed with him which didn't help but I want to make him realise that he has to stand up for himself a bit more or kids will walk all over him. Its worrying me he's like this in school as well so we're going to speak to his teacher and see what she thinks.

Offline Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 12:51:47 pm »
I've got a 6 year old and a 2 soon to be 3 year old. The 6 year old has tantrums every now and then, but it's the way she talks to me, she literally shouts and has absolutely no respect. Never spoken to her mum like it at all though, we went to a work friends BBQ yesterday and she was a nightmare, just showing off and total disregard for my mates house. Left after an hour.
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2017, 01:06:44 pm »
The chores / create call is a good one.

We've done something similar (dishes, dog walking, etc)

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2017, 01:11:45 pm »
Mate, it sounds horrific!

I don't have kids, don't manage them, but adults can display the same raw dickhead behaviour on plenty of occasions. For what it's worth, the first clear issue I can spot here is you assuming humanity, empathy in your kid. Don't. That's pretty much rule number one. We don't do it with adults, we are told not to do it, to assume nothing, even with adults who have undergone the processes, who have seen a bit of life to understand how difficult it can be to survive and live well. With a kid, who has no clue how anything works, more fool you if you assume an existence of any shred of empathy or humanity. All he's ever known in this life is to take, demand and he's taken care of. He breaks you, sees you cry: a common adult reaction is support, to a kid it's just new information, "Oh cool, I do this, this happens to daddy. I'll do it again later" That's it.

Secondly, everything you've ever described here is just an ever spiralling web of power struggles. Is he spoiled? Do you give him any chores to do around the house? 8 or 9 isn't too early to start, is it? Learning new, useful behaviour can only ever start with new information, and for you to create a more human kid, he needs to know how things get done. Teach him, order him to 'create', housework, maintenance. I think the best example of parenting (in my own warped mind no doubt!) I've read on here was one of the posters teaching, working on his bike with his kid. Create. Otherwise it's just a differently repackaged power struggle after power struggle till he leaves home.

I'm sure plenty of parents are gonna smirk and think 'yeah you don't have kids, what do you know', which is fair enough :)
You're not far off with the humanity / empathy observation. Some kids have it naturally, others need to be taught (via 'doing' not words, words mean nothing at that age - it's just sounds coming out of your mouth).

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2017, 01:37:52 pm »
Surfer

He's not spoiled. And he has chores. Helps loading and unloading the dishwasher, wipe the dinner table, tidy his room, take out the garbage for instance.

About the empathy thing, I see it first hand. His younger brother shows loads of it, this one needs time to settle down and let everything stew before he acts on it. He has become better though. Not long ago he showed almost none, now, like I said, he draws us pictures that says sorry and I love you.

I will make more of an effort to stay cool when he starts shouting.

And we do have power struggles. Thing is, he should realise by now that he won't ever win by acting like a twat. Whenever he reasons with me and can motivate his thinking, I let him have one now and then.

Love Ren & Stimpy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2017, 01:39:18 pm »
For the others in here. Please don't take this the wrong way, but it feels comforting that other people's kids are twats too from time to time. :)
Love Ren & Stimpy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2017, 01:40:33 pm »
I've got a 6 year old and a 2 soon to be 3 year old. The 6 year old has tantrums every now and then, but it's the way she talks to me, she literally shouts and has absolutely no respect. Never spoken to her mum like it at all though, we went to a work friends BBQ yesterday and she was a nightmare, just showing off and total disregard for my mates house. Left after an hour.

How did you try to handle it while you were there?
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Rysoph76

• 43yo GCSE student. Hello, Hoodie Hater!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2017, 01:40:59 pm »
We have talked to his teacher and he's very good in school. Nice behaviour and popular with friends. Always well behaved when he's at a friend's house. We often hear from the parents that he's such a good kid. His fights are with us and I guess that's how it should be. I'd rather he fights with us than act up when he's visiting someone.

Hi mate, I've got 2 kids, a daughter who is 9 and a son who is 8 (9 in August) and your son's behaviour with what you say here is very similar to mine. He is as good as gold at school, very polite to other people, doesn't get in fights etc but when he kicks off at home, woooooooooooooahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!  :butt

Over the years, he has reserved the worst of this for his mum (i'm divorced) and my mum as he is very much a daddy's boy but recently he has had a few very major kick offs. On Saturday afternoon, I had taken him to football in the morning and got home about 12.30pm (I live with my other half and my daughter was with her mum). We had got on all morning very well and I made him lunch. While I was making him lunch he was playing xbox in the living room and was playing rocket league which involves trading with other people. He asked me about trading with his friend online and I said to wait for me to come in from the kitchen but he went ahead anyway. Anyway, the mate scammed him out of one of his cars and he was pissed off. I said 'well I did tell you to wait for me didn't I?' at which point he went , for want of 2 better words 'fucking mental'

Hitting himself over the head with a hanger, biting himself, screaming, swearing etc etc. This lasted for about 90 minutes during which period it's very hard to remember why it is that you love him in the first place.

It's hard bringing up kids!!

Stay young and invincible. Come what may we're unstoppable.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2017, 01:45:59 pm »
For the others in here. Please don't take this the wrong way, but it feels comforting that other people's kids are twats too from time to time. :)

Was just thinking that but struggling for the right words!  Or in my case it's reassuring to know that other parents often make things up as they go along or aren't consistent with their upbringing of children. Everyday's a school day (actually, maybe it woukd be easier if it was ;) ).

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2017, 01:50:45 pm »
Consistency is hard!
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2017, 01:53:23 pm »
Consistency is hard!

Add a wee bit more water.

Offline Dublin Red

• Jehova, Jehova, Jehova
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2017, 01:53:31 pm »
Fuckin 'ell.

I've a 6 week old, I'm staying the fuck out of this thread lest I put her up for adoption now :D
What we achieve in life, echoes in eternity

Offline Rysoph76

• 43yo GCSE student. Hello, Hoodie Hater!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2017, 01:55:31 pm »
Was just thinking that but struggling for the right words!  Or in my case it's reassuring to know that other parents often make things up as they go along or aren't consistent with their upbringing of children. Everyday's a school day (actually, maybe it woukd be easier if it was ;) ).

I think that anyone who tells you that they have it all sorted and all in hand is a liar in my opinion. Everyone has a struggle with kids from time to time, it's better to be open about it and talk about it than bottle it up and pretend you're perfect.
Stay young and invincible. Come what may we're unstoppable.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2017, 01:57:44 pm »
I think that anyone who tells you that they have it all sorted and all in hand is a liar in my opinion. Everyone has a struggle with kids from time to time, it's better to be open about it and talk about it than bottle it up and pretend you're perfect.

Absolutely.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2017, 02:06:36 pm »
You'll never come across a bigger gang of weirdos than kids. As I like to say: no matter how strangely your kid may seem to be acting to you, just look across the playground and you'll likely see at least two worse.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2017, 02:07:23 pm »
I'm not a parent (although I hope to be in a few years time,) but him struggling to say sorry could be a very early symptom of Anxiety?

Maybe sit him down and speak to him about his temper, about what's on his mind ect and see if you can find a reason for the flip outs?

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2017, 02:11:20 pm »
You'll never come across a bigger gang of weirdos than kids. As I like to say: no matter how strangely your kid may seem to be acting to you, just look across the playground and you'll likely see at least two worse.

You did grow up in New Zealand so that's probably a valid point.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2017, 02:17:26 pm »
You did grow up in New Zealand so that's probably a valid point.

And I left for a reason.

What I am trying to say is that they go through phases and you see it all around you kids and parents struggling through them. Keep on showing good examples, stay calm and inclusive and don't jump to quasi psychological conclusions.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2017, 02:18:42 pm »
Our boy is coming 19 months and is mad as a box of frogs, temper tantrums and fun in equal amounts.

He's had a fairly rough time of it to date; born 6 weeks premature and had severe silent reflux for the first 6 months, getting an ounce of milk into him was a nightmare; cried sometimes up to 14 hours a day so we did whatever it took to pacify him; so a lot of bad eating and sleeping habits have crept in.

He'll go down most nights about 8 but will wake between 11pm and 4am and will only settle if brought into our bed, we've tried several techniques and had some initial success with the cry it out method but after a bout of sickness it went to the wall, we tried it once more with no luck and we're not doing it again as the last attempt was brutal and felt cruel. We're exhausted nearly all the time and it's heartbreaking as getting the energy to play with him after a day at work is near impossible at times.

Our other concern is his interactions with others, kids in particular, he can be very aggressive with grabbing, biting, nipping etc. and we're at a loss as to what to do. He laughs when you say no or scold him. I'm not really sure if this is normal, other kids in the family don't display this behaviour. He's at daycare for the first time today as we think he just needs more time around other kids but we're concerned that he'll keep on attacking other kids, has anyone else got any experience of this behaviour and any tips on how to break it.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2017, 02:33:59 pm »

More helpfully, there will be an internal consistent logic to their actions. It normally makes no sense to adult eyes, but there is a rationale to each action that makse you mutter "Why the fuck did you..."

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2017, 02:37:47 pm »
More helpfully, there will be an internal consistent logic to their actions. It normally makes no sense to adult eyes, but there is a rationale to each action that makse you mutter "Why the fuck did you..."

Sometimes, it's just "I dunno".

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2017, 02:38:26 pm »
Harry, our son had really bad reflux early on. Was like something from the Exorcist at times when trying to get a night feed into him! Early on we also thought he had bad colic as he was very unsettled a lot. Turn out he had a dairy allergy and we were trying to force it down him, the poor kid.

A look that is now resolved and thankfully he's grown out of the dairy allergy but he is severely allergic to nuts and eggs. Nuts in particular scares me.

As a result (we think) he's very wary of eating new things. He eats what he likes well but it's very hard to get him to try new things so getting enough vitamin C into him is a struggle. He likes certain fruit which is a start but will gag if you try and get some peas down him.

Could be a coincidence but we think his wariness around food might be the traumatic experiences he's had in the past. Although that could he bullocks to try and convince ourselves it's not our fault!