Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3475234 times)

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #44280 on: January 4, 2017, 07:38:51 pm »
This is good. Done by the cat who directed “Calvary” and “The Guard.”

Just now on IPT.

War on Everyone 2016 HDRip XviD AC3-EVO 

War on Everyone 2016 720p WEB-DL H264 AC3-EVO
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44281 on: January 4, 2017, 07:42:54 pm »
Who cares about films based on games...nerds....nerds who are too ungainly/uncoordinated to actually play sports and therefore have to stay inside and play games on their computers....

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #44282 on: January 4, 2017, 07:46:56 pm »
Who cares about films based on games...nerds....nerds who are too ungainly/uncoordinated to actually play sports and therefore have to stay inside and play games on their computers....

Unlike all of the proud athletes sat on their arses watching films? ;D
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44283 on: January 4, 2017, 07:50:09 pm »
94 miles on my bicycle earlier today.... :P ;D

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #44284 on: January 4, 2017, 07:50:33 pm »

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44285 on: January 4, 2017, 07:51:50 pm »
94 miles on my bicycle earlier today.... :P ;D

How many laps of the track is that?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44286 on: January 4, 2017, 07:53:40 pm »
How many laps of the track is that?
:lmao

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #44287 on: January 4, 2017, 07:59:02 pm »
You're just jealous his cheque's bigger than yours!

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #44288 on: January 4, 2017, 07:59:53 pm »

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44289 on: January 4, 2017, 08:03:44 pm »

Can't even post an image properly...it's not sports, nerd...thought you nerds were good with computers.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44290 on: January 4, 2017, 09:01:59 pm »

I'll have you know i'm a world class beer pong player
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #44291 on: January 5, 2017, 12:45:15 am »

Ha! - I count myself as a 'nerd' and I'm physically fit and healthy... I think...

But a good game translation can be a real pot of gold to the right production company. There is an already founded fanbase, and whilst that could be said for a number of different mediums (Novels, Comics, etc...), the difference with video game adaptations is, of course, games can provide a far more rounded and immersive experience for the end-user.

Not only that, but, some games have cut scenes as long as a 68 minute film... If memory serves, one of the MGS's had something daft like 5 hours of cut-scenes which in themselves are like little serial films.

But with so much visual stimuli, music, story and plot to take from, it is no wonder that production companies find it hard to produce a worthwhile adaptation of a game. I often think which games would make for best adaptations and I can't think past games which have little or nothing in the way of story (within the game itself). Battleships was of course crap, and it wasn't a game per se, but they had so little to go off, that the world was their oyster.

But rather than stick to a simple story (and style) similar to the game they turned it into some utterly absurd popcorn flick gone wrong- you know, they could have like had a cold war multi-vessel thriller with two players (generals) offing each others boats one-by-one... But nah...

It is a proper interesting sub-genre that will get it right at one point - Disney seem to have the whole film/game game/film adaptation off to a fine art and they've had a few flops, sure, but I would go as far as to say that if any production company would get it 'right', that it would be them... But then, video games and animation go hand-in-hand anyway, so what would be the point?

Aside of all that shit though - I can't help but think that production and game companies are getting it all wrong. Games like Assasin's Creed, Half Life, Metal Gear Solid (to name a few), should all be serial episodes as oppose to cinema. Only then can they get the genuine feel of the fanbase (over a longer period of time), whilst trying to draw on a new audience.

But yeah, game adaptations up to now have largely been experientially similar to having the galloping trots.   
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #44292 on: January 5, 2017, 03:43:21 am »
Aside of all that shit though - I can't help but think that production and game companies are getting it all wrong. Games like Assasin's Creed, Half Life, Metal Gear Solid (to name a few), should all be serial episodes as oppose to cinema. Only then can they get the genuine feel of the fanbase (over a longer period of time), whilst trying to draw on a new audience.

But yeah, game adaptations up to now have largely been experientially similar to having the galloping trots.   

Agree with this. A good video game plot basically is the length of a short-medium length novel, and heck, even Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is getting five movies.

On the other hand, I also think video games have an element of storytelling, tied to the interactive aspect, that can't actually be captured by non-interactive media. Consider Red Dead Redemption, or GTA V, or any of the Starcraft games. I honestly don't think many, if any of them tell stories that haven't been told a million times on celluloid. But the interactive aspect gets the audience that step further in terms of involvement.

In any case, I think any adaptation of a video game would be a fairly loose adaptation. You only really need one or two elements from a particular video game, plus some references, to sell it as an "adaptation". I honestly don't think the punters would be especially offended, even if they write it off as non-canonical. So there's no real need for anything especially faithful when retelling video game stories. Producers just need to find a proper screenplay with a story actually worth telling.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #44293 on: January 5, 2017, 09:56:10 am »
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is the best film based on a computer game.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2017, 10:02:30 am by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #44294 on: January 5, 2017, 11:06:21 am »
Picking the peanuts outta that.....it's not actually based on a computer game, it just has a lot of gaming references and becomes "game like" in parts.

I knew I was going to love the film when it starts with the opening musical ditty from a Link to the Past 8) ;D
Can't even post an image properly...it's not sports, nerd...thought you nerds were good with computers.
Ha ha what the fuck you on about. That was a perfectly good picture!

You in your younger years, making sweet love to your bicycle! Feel the burn Dave, feel the burn! ;D ;D ;D ;D

And here's Dave a few decades back on a night out in town!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :lickin :wave
« Last Edit: January 5, 2017, 11:10:20 am by Titi Camara »

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44295 on: January 5, 2017, 12:17:06 pm »
What game would that be?

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44296 on: January 5, 2017, 12:20:06 pm »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :lickin :wave
My bikes worth fuckin la. ;D

....the other image-this why I hate cyclists...some of them are just c*nts. :o

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44297 on: January 5, 2017, 12:21:01 pm »
What game would that be?

The game of comics?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44298 on: January 5, 2017, 12:23:34 pm »
The game of comics?
I've no idea, Nessy. I'll have a look. That is is good film.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #44299 on: January 5, 2017, 12:24:39 pm »
What's up with the lack of a HD 1080p 'Arrival' in the usual places?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44300 on: January 5, 2017, 12:25:47 pm »
The game of comics?
It's a comic. I see what you did, now. Another nerd trait...stuck indoors reading comics away from the...pushy boys and girls...

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #44301 on: January 5, 2017, 12:27:33 pm »

Τhe BluRay is not out maybe? Not long ago that was still being played in the cinemas.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44302 on: January 5, 2017, 12:27:40 pm »
Here you go..... ;D

The Arrival 1996 1080p BluRay DTS-HD x264-BARC0DE

The only up's around are HD-Cams.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44303 on: January 5, 2017, 12:44:43 pm »
It's a comic. I see what you did, now. Another nerd trait...stuck indoors reading comics away from the...pushy boys and girls...

You can read em outside you know. Like RAWK.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44304 on: January 5, 2017, 12:50:40 pm »
You can read em outside you know. Like RAWK.
I was a compulsive comic reader when I was a kid, all the weeklies and Marvel and DC too...into my teens. Loved Conan The Barbarian.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44305 on: January 5, 2017, 12:54:59 pm »
I was a compulsive comic reader when I was a kid, all the weeklies and Marvel and DC too...into my teens. Loved Conan The Barbarian.

I used to write them. Had some stuff in 2000ad.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44306 on: January 5, 2017, 12:59:52 pm »
I used to write them. Had some stuff in 2000ad.
That's cool I do recall reading one of those 2000ad comics on the train home from a game in London...in the late 80's early 90's?

I got less stick off me mates reading that....I used to take a book or pick up a bodybuilding magazine....I was apparently "gay" for reading either.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #44307 on: January 5, 2017, 01:07:24 pm »
What game would that be?

Lots of them.  ;)

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44308 on: January 5, 2017, 01:13:40 pm »

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #44309 on: January 5, 2017, 01:17:10 pm »
Videogames (and, arguably, comics too... not so sure about that one myself though, bit of a different situation) are far from being the preserve of nerds nowadays anyway - those would probably these days be the ones who deem themselves "hardcore gamers" and who basically live on there; all the rest of us are only filthy casuals who just deeply appreciate the art form, having grown up with it. I'm a "peasant" as well according to that lot, apparently, many of whom've probably spent a full 3 months' wages on a needlessy flashy supercomputer  ;D

I was always a bit of a daydreamy misfit kid at heart, sure, but I was also well into my footy and running, being a slippy little bite-yer-legs whippet leftback. More of a music nerd than anything!

Shit's gona get real when Augmented Reality devices take videogames outdoors proper. Utter carnage.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #44310 on: January 6, 2017, 11:02:15 am »
Watched for the first time (didn't know its existence) yesterday The Man From Earth and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

When it finished, the first thought that came to my mind is no matter how money you have for backing, if you don't have something to say and show, then it means fuck all. Film screamed low budget from the get go, its setting, the way it was shot and its actors (although there was at leasta  couple of familiar actors in there).
Couldn't care less though cause the whole conversation (when it got in the main path) around the fireplace almost felt like I was in there with them and checked twice at least at what point the film was, not because I was bored of it but because I wanted more!

Loved their talk with its faults, the philosophical (and not) level of it.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #44311 on: January 6, 2017, 01:10:36 pm »
Watched for the first time (didn't know its existence) yesterday The Man From Earth and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

When it finished, the first thought that came to my mind is no matter how money you have for backing, if you don't have something to say and show, then it means fuck all. Film screamed low budget from the get go, its setting, the way it was shot and its actors (although there was at leasta  couple of familiar actors in there).
Couldn't care less though cause the whole conversation (when it got in the main path) around the fireplace almost felt like I was in there with them and checked twice at least at what point the film was, not because I was bored of it but because I wanted more!

Loved their talk with its faults, the philosophical (and not) level of it.

I swear, I still can't tell if that's the one with David Bowie or not. The David Bowie one was fucked. May he rest in peace among the stars.

No wait, "The Man Who Fell to Earth." Sorry, that's two times I've done that. Maybe I should watch the other one.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #44312 on: January 6, 2017, 01:52:27 pm »
The Man from Earth is a brilliant film.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44313 on: January 6, 2017, 03:53:23 pm »
Videogames (and, arguably, comics too... not so sure about that one myself though, bit of a different situation) are far from being the preserve of nerds nowadays anyway - those would probably these days be the ones who deem themselves "hardcore gamers" and who basically live on there; all the rest of us are only filthy casuals who just deeply appreciate the art form, having grown up with it. I'm a "peasant" as well according to that lot, apparently, many of whom've probably spent a full 3 months' wages on a needlessy flashy supercomputer  ;D

I was always a bit of a daydreamy misfit kid at heart, sure, but I was also well into my footy and running, being a slippy little bite-yer-legs whippet leftback. More of a music nerd than anything!

Shit's gona get real when Augmented Reality devices take videogames outdoors proper. Utter carnage.
What game was this on then... :P ;D  ;)

At least everyone took what I said in the manner that it was meant.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44314 on: January 6, 2017, 03:56:06 pm »
If anyone sees the film Coin Heist about let me know, I wanna see it. This isn't a recommendation tho..it's based on a ya book I read a while back and I'm intrigued to see how it looks onscreen.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #44315 on: January 7, 2017, 08:45:45 am »
Looking forward to the Golden Globes Monday morning at 1am I imagine La La land will be the big winner.

Offline bogrollsbike

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44316 on: January 7, 2017, 10:29:11 am »
Hunt for the Wilderpeople is a great film,check it out if you haven't seen it.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44317 on: January 7, 2017, 03:26:00 pm »
I wish Hollywood made more films like 'La La Land'. Truly an amazing film.

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44318 on: January 7, 2017, 03:55:32 pm »
Hunt for the Wilderpeople is a great film,check it out if you haven't seen it.

Saw it a few weeks back. Loved it. So much inventive humour and a heartwarming story.

Taika Waititi is a seriously talented writer and director.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44319 on: January 7, 2017, 04:37:31 pm »
Almost Famous was a really nice watch. Really enjoyed that.

War Dogs was better than I thought it would be as well, and I thought it was going to be shit from the trailers
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now