Author Topic: Just how good was Kenny Dalglish?  (Read 29005 times)

Offline La Vecchia Magpie

• Terry de Niro's Geordie rival...
  • Legacy Fan
Just how good was Kenny Dalglish?
« on: April 22, 2009, 05:21:09 pm »
As a player...

Forgive me, and my innocent 17 year old ways, but as someone who was brought up amongst the Man United wankfest, I truthfully didn't know about Kenny's acomplishments as a player until I joined this forum. I knew he was succesful and such, but what was his playing style, how many goals did he score etc...
The Wood Preservation Society. Hopefully that shed's the equivalent of Fritzel's cellar.

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Just how good was Kenny Dalglish?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 05:23:06 pm »
Imagine God in a pair of Puma footy boots and you're still nowhere near.

Offline t0m

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • I hate Man u
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 05:24:37 pm »
just picture steve G  passion with maradona touch with pele finishing and u get close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KN0_mFNmBA&feature=PlayList&p=DCEA2E6BA372499A&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=39
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 05:27:31 pm by t0m »
Follow me on twitter STAR_LFC

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 05:26:15 pm »
aye, Pele was a great fisherman.

Offline Southern Red

• Boys Pen
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 05:26:26 pm »
He had the heart of a lion,  he passed like a clairvoyant and thought like a chessmaster.  This is a quote from Brian Reade's book 43 years with the same bird about Kenny Dalglish.

This is what sums up Kenny Dalglish perfectly.  It was also said he lacked pace but more than made it up by being two yards of everyone in mind.  Also watch You Tube for clips on Kenny as well.

I would also say, he is among the all time great players, alongside the Zidanes, Cryuffs and Platinis of this world.

Hope this helps.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 05:26:32 pm »
Is Sex good ? ?
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline McMahon

• mrrrnnggghh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 05:27:52 pm »
As a player...

Forgive me, and my innocent 17 year old ways, but as someone who was brought up amongst the Man United wankfest, I truthfully didn't know about Kenny's acomplishments as a player until I joined this forum. I knew he was succesful and such, but what was his playing style, how many goals did he score etc...

I would say if you rolled Zola and Maradona into one, you would come up with Dalglish. He was that good, like Maradona srong as an bull in the legs. Could turn iether way, create sitters for team mates or slot the ball into the net, from anywhere.
as for his stats, surf the net, you tube, daily motion etc, I am sure you are aware of these sites.

Offline t0m

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • I hate Man u
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 05:28:15 pm »
aye, Pele was a great fisherman.
haha =D ive edit now =D
Follow me on twitter STAR_LFC

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 05:29:09 pm »

He had a big fat arse, and he used to stick it out to stop defenders getting near him.

Then he used to turn and swerve the ball into the top corner from 20 yards.

Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 05:30:16 pm »
A true God set down amongst us mortals to provide us with a taste of what a footballing heaven must be like.
Absolutely unbelievably gifted and magical, and he played for us!
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 05:30:56 pm »
As a player...

http://rawk.impulsed.net/Kenny_Portrait_of_a_Natural_Footballer.wmv

There is a bit in there where I think George Best is talking about the best player he has ever seen and he says it was Alfredo Di Stefano. He then says that Dalglish was the equal to Di Stefano and better than Cruyff and Maradona.

Take from that what you will...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 05:34:20 pm by Juan Loco »
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 05:49:41 pm »
He had the heart of a lion,  he passed like a clairvoyant and thought like a chessmaster.
...and an arse like David Batty and he knew how to use it.

He had intelligence, touch, incredible technical quality of both passing and finishing, was brave, professional and a complete winner, and had a long and fruitful career. Utter, utter class.

He has been the greatest British player of the last 4 decades without question, and is undoubtedly up there in the pantheon with the greats of world football, I mean the El Diegos, Cruyffs and Zizous, not the pretenders.

In short, better than Robbie Keane.
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 06:08:49 pm »
As you might know, every man on this forum is gay for Fernando Torres, but we wouldn´t touch him with a barge pole if Kenny were still playing. He was the King of Kings, the best thing ever to touch the turf of Anfield. He made the whole of Europe Ooh and Aah, and made a great many grown men cry.
'It'll whisper to them of Liverpools five glorious European Cup victories"

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 06:12:45 pm »
He was good lad, really really good.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 06:15:51 pm »
Best I've ever seen.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 06:20:14 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KN0_mFNmBA&feature=PlayList&p=DCEA2E6BA372499A&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=39

That goal is simply perfection itself.

There's not been a player since in England that's come anywhere close to The King.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 06:23:13 pm »
Best I've ever seen.
Extremely clever, with a fantastic touch.
He could also be a bit a nasty bastard, but he was our nasty bastard.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 06:26:07 pm by Terry De Niro »

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• No longer counts double
  • Legacy Fan
  • i've been down so god damn long
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 06:23:43 pm »
A couple of times at the match i didn't watch the actual game. just fixed my eyes on kenny and followed
him all over the park.  he was always up to something,always.
he was like the lad over on the local field, 4 years older than the rest and the game was get the ball from
the big lad. no one ever did. kenny on the ball was similar to a six foot lad holding off a 3ft lad trying to punch him,with his hand on his forehead.
magical player, great manager, and a man of the people.
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline exiledinyorkshire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 06:29:40 pm »
I tried to explain to my wife about Kenny Dalglish........... In the end she said, it sounds like you had a bit of a crush on him as an 8 year old........... too right i said,and i still do. Wonderful player absolutely wonderful, but there was something else as well, a star quality.... dunno really just the best ever.

Offline Dubit10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 06:31:31 pm »
The best player in this league ever. Simple as that.
Robbie Fowler is God

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 06:39:25 pm »
very.

Offline mainstandred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 06:40:31 pm »
As a player...

not as good as mascherano  , never mind your only 17  unbelievable whats the next question was shankly a good manager ?  .
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 06:42:27 pm by mainstandred »

Offline Phatz

• Clean and serene... Yeah right...RAWK's Resident Pet Shop Boy?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Not being funny right, but...
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 06:41:13 pm »
The best player in this league ever. Simple as that.

I agree.

Absolutely boss.

In fact, proper boss.

Walk on...
'Nuff said...

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 06:52:43 pm »
Couple of questions for the oldies:

1) Why was he never European Footballer of the year? Always wondered this. Was there always someone better (Platini won 3, Rummenigge & Keegan got 2 each  and Rossi got 1 while Dalglish was at his peak)? 

2) Taking emotion & sentimentality out of it, was Souness a better footballer? I've always thought so from what I've seen and the guy on here probably considered most knowledgeable of all, Wooltonian, has often said Souness was the best.

Forgetting Souness' champagne lifestyle, poor management and S*n inteview, and forgetting Dalglish being a great bloke, who was best?

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2009, 06:55:00 pm »
If god was real, he was embodied by him in a pair of football boots

2) Taking emotion & sentimentality out of it, was Souness a better footballer? I've always thought so from what I've seen and the guy on here probably considered most knowledgeable of all, Wooltonian, has often said Souness was the best.

Forgetting Souness' champagne lifestyle, poor management and S*n inteview, and forgetting Dalglish being a great bloke, who was best?

Graeme Souness is the best midfielder and captain of Liverpool we've ever had. Can't compare them because they played in different positions.

But Kenny is still out best ever player.

Blessed to have the two of them in the same team in their pomp
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2009, 06:55:51 pm »
Incredible talent on a number of fronts and with a ruthless streak second to none....an untouchable combination.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2009, 06:59:06 pm »
i may be biased but gerrard will be looked back on in years to come as the best player to have played for this club and dalglish second. watch a match from 4 or 5 years ago and gerrard single handendly kept us in the so called big 4. i honestly dont think gerrard gets the praise he deserves
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline neopulian

• Main Stander
  • veni, vidi, vici
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2009, 07:00:09 pm »
This circle-jerking is a little embarrassing, no?

I've made many arguments he should have won at least one Bd'O, but the superlative of the superlatives? Dalglish belongs to the very top rack, a darling to the fans also because he made them forget the rejection of Keegan easily, but the best of the best? The man himself would be embarrassed to hear it.

Offline Grushko

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2009, 07:04:01 pm »
Well he was the best player ever to play for us.

And we've had some fuckin' brilliant players......
You are Always in our Hearts
You are Always in our Thoughts
We Will Never forget You
You Will Never Walk Alone

Gone, but never, ever forgotten.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 07:07:54 pm »

1) Why was he never European Footballer of the year? Always wondered this. Was there always someone better (Platini won 3, Rummenigge & Keegan got 2 each  and Rossi got 1 while Dalglish was at his peak)? 
Good question; Platini was class but neither Rumenigge nor Keegan were close to Kenny in my opinion. Bear in mind Michael Owen has won one but Messi and Gerrard have not and you can draw your own conclusions about its validity.

Do you not find it interesting that English sides dominated the European trophies from the mid 70s til the ban but no English based player won it during this period? Power bases, politics, dunno. He shoulda! Being a Jock probably didn't help.

Souness was a top class central midfielder both in terms of his actual ability and his physical and mental domination of a football pitch and everyone on it, bearing in mind this was the day when everyone had a proper 'kicker' and booting lumps out fo the opposition's best player was the norm. Would've been horrendous knowing you were going to play against him for any one of a number of reasons.

Dalglish was also a very tough lad, but I would say talent and technique wise was the best I have seen in a British footballer.

It's difficult to separate the emotional side from the player, but overall, I would go for Barnesy ;)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 07:20:48 pm by Red number seven »
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

Offline AJ the Red

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2009, 07:11:50 pm »
I agree in that barnes was our most skilled player ive seen, when he came he was awesome till his injuries.

king kenny was a superb player though and prob our best ever because he was great for such a long time , he also hide the widest arse in football :)

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2009, 07:13:08 pm »
Best player I've ever seen for us.

And I've seen a few.

Not just his playing ability, it was his whole persona. Never any demands from him, never needing to be in the spotlight about anything. And I dont think I've ever seen anyone show so much genuine love ad delight when scorin or assisting.

From player, to manager, to fan, to hopefully back soon, he still personifies what is/was "The Liverpool Way"
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Ratzer

• Anny Roader
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2009, 07:17:10 pm »
...and an arse like David Batty and he knew how to use it.

He had intelligence, touch, incredible technical quality of both passing and finishing, was brave, professional and a complete winner, and had a long and fruitful career. Utter, utter class.

He has been the greatest British player of the last 4 decades without question, and is undoubtedly up there in the pantheon with the greats of world football, I mean the El Diegos, Cruyffs and Zizous, not the pretenders.

In short, better than Robbie Keane.

hahahahaha   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2009, 07:19:46 pm »
Didn't realise how good he was as a youngster watching him, and even then he was my favourite player. Him and Gerrard and maybe now Torres are the ones who really have raised my pulse watching the redmen. It's something to do with telepathy residing in someone with gifted feet.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2009, 07:21:43 pm »
Didn't realise how good he was as a youngster watching him, and even then he was my favourite player. Him and Gerrard and maybe now Torres are the ones who really have raised my pulse watching the redmen. It's something to do with telepathy residing in someone with gifted feet.
Not Barnesy???????

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2009, 07:22:44 pm »
overrated.

Only 1 in three passes stuck, he wasnt that fast and he used to bobble his way through defences.

Later on fame went to his head and he started to appear on tv shows like Scully dressed in a fairy costume.

I once saw him score the jammiest goal ever...against Leicester City someone played a pass into him and as he tried to turn and get the ball under his feet, he back heeled it by mistake and it went in, but we didnt mind.

As for a manager...lucky, inherited a great side.

Apart from that he was the greatest. ;D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 07:34:01 pm by walshys_mullet »
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2009, 07:25:26 pm »
How good was he? The best. End of.

Of course for those who never saw him or his next clone Peter Beardsley then you have to look at today's pretenders. Has to be Tevez (in this league anyway) as that lad is probably the most gifted #7 type player out there.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2009, 07:35:58 pm »
As for a manager...lucky, inherited a great side.

But he bought McMahon, Barnes, Beardsley and Aldridge and turned them into a better side.

I would agree that it had gone wrong by the end.

(Have I been whooshed?)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 07:44:43 pm by JonnyCigarettes® »
Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline jamiehill

• Kopite
  • MacIntyre, Treadmore and Davitt
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2009, 07:40:15 pm »
He would often have his back to goal, in and around the box surrounded by players. One of his favourite moves was to knock defenders out of the way with his ass, then turn and shoot.

He scored a few like that!
The English club proved that miracles really do exist. I've now made Liverpool my English team. They showed that football is the most beautiful sport of all. They showed their unconditional support at half-time when they were losing 3-0 and still they didn't stop singing." Diego Maradona

Offline balticred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2009, 07:44:50 pm »
He was an absolute joy to watch - the best all round player we've had and right up there with Maradona - that good.

Naturally gifted clearly but on top he gave his heart and soul for the team - this raises him in my book to legendary status.