Author Topic: PL: Liv 4 vs 1 Chel Jota 23’ Bradley 39’ Szoboszlai 65’ Nkunku 71’ Diaz 79’  (Read 16551 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
MATCH PREVIEW – Liverpool vs Chelsea

Date – 31 January 2024
Kick Off – 8.15pm
Venue – Anfield
TV – TNT Sports

Officials

Referee: Paul Tierney
Assistants: James Mainwaring, Scott Ledger.
Fourth official: Andy Madley.
VAR: John Brooks. Assistant VAR: Sian Massey-Ellis.

The Boss

We’ll be looking to run a full tribute piece when all is said and done this summer, but it would be remiss of me not to mention the Boss’ decision to depart Liverpool Football Club in the first match preview written since he announced his decision. Like the rest of you, the news hit me like a train. I never for a moment expected that Breaking News notification to say our wonderful manager had decided to leave our beloved football club.

Recent weeks had suggested that all was right with the world again. Our football world at least. Our team were going through the gears. Whenever we had a problem, Jurgen found the solutions from the bench. Top of the league, Europa League last 16, League Cup Final, knocking Arsenal out of the FA Cup at the Emirates. I have said on here many, many times that we should never take these days for granted, and those words never felt truer than mid-morning on Friday.

It left us crestfallen – but we shouldn’t be. Jurgen Klopp, his management team and the players have provided us with some of our greatest days and moments, and with the position he has helped put us in again, there’s a high chance we’ll have a few more before we wave Jurgen goodbye to a well-deserved rest and hiatus. 

That work starts again on Wednesday against an old foe.

Match Preview

This fixture always invokes memories of battles from yesteryear. Both sides have enjoyed their respective great moments against the other, since Chelsea came into new money some 21 years ago. But I thought I’d start with how this fixture means even more to me. My Mother, from Liverpool and a Red through and through like the rest of her family, moved down south for work and married into a family containing Chelsea fans, for her sins.

In the interests of fairness, I was presented with the opportunity to support either as a child, although looking at old pictures, my Mum seemingly always made sure to dress me in red. Robbie Fowler was my favourite player as a five-year-old, and I still thank God himself that I had the good sense to choose Liverpool to this day. My sister, who came along 18 months or so later, sided with our Dad’s side, and an internal rivalry was born many years before Rafa Benitez and Jose Mourinho came along. You can only imagine family relations after some of the encounters we’ve had down the years! But as Chelsea fans go, they aren’t that bad really.

So as I prepare to head to Anfield again on Wednesday praying for another Liverpool victory, I thought I’d remind myself of my personal top five times that Liverpool have got one over on them and secured the family bragging rights with a trip down memory lane.

5) Glen Johnson – Chelsea 1-2 Liverpool, 2011/12

A late Glen Johnson winner at what had once been Mourinho's fortress. This was the season where it felt like we hit the woodwork 50 times. This one was brilliant for two reasons - the sight of John Terry desperately sprawled on his backside as Johnson slotted it home, and the likes of Jason Cundy crying on the radio that it was the worst Liverpool team to ever visit Stamford Bridge. Cheers for the three points!

4) Raul Meireles – Chelsea 0-1 Liverpool, 2010/11

Days before this encounter, Fernando Torres had infamously left for Chelsea in a £50m transfer. Torres shirts were being tossed on the pitch from the away section prior to the game. Torres was highly ineffective in a front three with Anelka and Drogba, at one point being floored by a legal elbow from Daniel Agger and Raul Meireles smashed home a winner in the second half. One of my favourite away days to date.

3) Mo Salah – Liverpool 2-0 Chelsea, 2018/19

This one was storybook. Footage had emerged days earlier of a handful of Chelsea morons singing a racist song about Mo in a pub prior to their Europa League tie. He duly rattled in a goal of the season contender to silence those and keep the Reds in the title hunt.

2) League/FA Cup Finals – 2021/22

The games weren’t much to write home about, but picking up two trophies against this lot via penalty shootouts in the first two legs of the quadruple hunt was sweet. Hopefully we get the job done in 90 minutes on 25 February.

1)   Luis Garcia – Liverpool 1-0 Chelsea, 2004/05

The famous ‘ghost goal’ that sent us to Istanbul and really lit the touch paper on this rivalry. You’ll still find Chelsea fans crying about it to this day.

There are of course, many, many more to choose from!

This will always be a tricky fixture, despite Chelsea’s struggles this season. For me, there are definite signs of recovery in their team, they have produced some excellent football and chances in recent games but have often lacked the finishing touch. The media will be touting this as a dress rehearsal for the forthcoming League Cup Final, the third time in less than 24 months that the two sides have clashed in Wembley finals, with Liverpool winning both the League Cup and FA Cup on penalties against Chelsea in 2021/22.

There was a welcome sight of Trent Alexander-Arnold, Dominik Szoboszlai and Andy Robertson all returning from injury in the 5-2 win over Norwich at the weekend. Our Reds have been impressive throughout January despite a spate of injuries and players away on international duty and we've set ourselves up nicely for the business end to begin.

This is a critical mini period in our season. After Chelsea we travel to Arsenal. Two wins would set up another blockbuster of a title race with Manchester City in Klopp’s finale. And wouldn’t it be fitting if we were to finally pip them in one of those tight races?

There is so much to look forward to in the coming months before we wave goodbye to the boss. That message is loud and clear from the man himself. Lets use all of the emotion and make Anfield the bearpit we know it can be to get the team over the line on four fronts come May.

Match Prediction – 2-0 Liverpool (Nunez, Jota)

Predicted line-up – (4-3-3) – Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Konate, van Dijk, Gomez, Mac Allister, Szoboszlai, Jones, Diaz, Jota, Nunez

Come on you mighty Reds! YNWA.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 09:55:03 pm by TepidT2O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Liverpool vs Chelsea
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2024, 07:17:37 pm »

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 08:14:55 pm »
The atomosphere is pretty spicy with a stirring rendition of YNWA.

Sadly the ref is Paul Tierney
W

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2024, 08:15:30 pm »
All ready for the Paul Tierney show.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2024, 08:15:50 pm »
0 underway at anfield, we’re attacking the Annie road end.
W

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2024, 08:16:09 pm »
All ready for the Paul Tierney show.
how do we always seem to end up with him either as ref or VAR, it's taking the piss
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2024, 08:17:38 pm »
2 lots of early pressure by the reds but not the final ball.

Ball over the top by Chelsea is dangerous by Alisson rushes out to claim in the area
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2024, 08:18:17 pm »
A really intense start by us.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2024, 08:21:25 pm »
Gallagher is so mouthy.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2024, 08:21:52 pm »
6 Bradley pings a wonderful ball over the top to Núñez, he tries to chip it over the keeper, but there’s not quite enough height on it.

Up the other end and Gallagher goes over inthe area, ref gives nothing… he was going down before contact so I don’t reckon it gets overturned
W

Online BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2024, 08:21:59 pm »
Never a penalty.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2024, 08:23:35 pm »
Macca is once again keeping the moves going.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2024, 08:24:08 pm »
8 MacAllister spins and plays Nunez clear. He shoots and the keeper puts it onto the bar.

Corner now, which is cleared
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2024, 08:27:17 pm »
11 crikey.  Incredible, square ball across the defence to Bradley who takes it under pressure and plays a killer pass….

We have a free kick up their end, but Jota’s flicked header goes wide
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2024, 08:28:47 pm »
We have to take one of these chances.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2024, 08:28:51 pm »
14 They pass it straight to Nunez … he beats one and shoots just wide from 20 yards
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2024, 08:30:18 pm »
15 Gomez with a superb interception. Nunez then has another pop form distance.

Over to Jill
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2024, 08:31:40 pm »
15 It's been an exhausting start by us, but we just can't quite get the last ball right, but we have pressed superbly so far.

Online BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2024, 08:32:13 pm »
Think we need to steady up with the clipped crosses, Chelsea centre backs will deal with those all day.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2024, 08:33:03 pm »
Oooh!
W

Online BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2024, 08:33:15 pm »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2024, 08:33:47 pm »
17 A brief bit of possession for them then we break and Konate sends a superb ball forward which Nunez hits well the goalie saves and it hits the post. Corner to us.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2024, 08:34:51 pm »
18 We get a free kick for a foul on Doms. The ball goes in but Chelsea defend it.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2024, 08:35:33 pm »
That turn by Bradley?  Oh my.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2024, 08:36:23 pm »
19 Nunez is n ow playing off the left and a ball is swung in which Macca contacts with and it goes out off a Chelsea player. Another corner, they initially get it away and then it comes back out and Diaz puts it back in.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2024, 08:37:22 pm »
21 Hahaha, Cole thinks it was a penalty, no it wasn't Joe.  ::) 

Online BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2024, 08:38:10 pm »
Get in

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2024, 08:38:25 pm »
Wow! Literally ran through them

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2024, 08:38:45 pm »
22 Yay get in! Another Jota special goes running through the Chelsea defence and slots it away. Fully deserved. 1-0 to the Reds.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Liverpool 1 vs 0 Chelsea Jota 23’
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2024, 08:39:45 pm »
Wow! Literally ran through them
He’s in such good form… he’s a bit like Suarez when he’s in this mood

Hang on…lengthy VAR check…
W

Online BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2024, 08:40:08 pm »
Ha ha, VAR check.

Online BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2024, 08:40:25 pm »
He’s in such good form… he’s a bit like Suarez when he’s in this mood

Hang on…lengthy VAR check…
Was their handball.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2024, 08:40:26 pm »
Bloody stupid taken two minutes to check that goal. Goal stands!

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2024, 08:41:20 pm »
Bloody stupid taken two minutes to check that goal. Goal stands!
ridiculous hit his chin

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2024, 08:41:49 pm »
Bradley assist …kid is on fire!
W

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2024, 08:42:15 pm »
Thoroughly deserved lead, totally dominant so far

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2024, 08:42:18 pm »
26 Macca is incredible, even when we mess up a ball he somehow gets his foot on it like there, when he slots it over to Jota. Chelsea defend it though.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2024, 08:43:49 pm »
28 A bit of pressure for them, but Gomez does well there as Palmer was in a good position and we get it away.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2024, 08:44:53 pm »
Chelsea attempting to match our intensity in micro bursts.

Reds smile wryly as Tierney awards yet another soft FK to Chelsea

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2024, 08:45:48 pm »
30 We retreated a little bit, like we're having a bit of a break. Then we zip up field again, Bradley having his shirt pulled but play on!

Over to Sir Bob.