Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3473496 times)

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #42040 on: March 9, 2016, 11:24:06 pm »
Why the fuck didn't I get onto the fact that I was watching the wrong film until six or so minutes in?

Beware - there is a tennis film posing as an all-out action blockbuster in the midst.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #42041 on: March 10, 2016, 07:43:00 am »
Why the fuck didn't I get onto the fact that I was watching the wrong film until six or so minutes in?

Beware - there is a tennis film posing as an all-out action blockbuster in the midst.

Match Point Break?

:P
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42042 on: March 10, 2016, 09:54:19 am »
Not sure why I don't really post in this thread, I watch a lot of films! Usually see between 100-150 a year in the cinema and countless others on DVD/streaming etc.

Anyway, top 5 of the year so far anyone? There's been a lot of really good stuff already and we're not even a quarter of the way through the year yet. I'll say:

1. Spotlight
2. Room
3. Bone Tomahawk
4. The Revenant
5. Rams

Honourable mentions to Goodnight Mommy, The Survivalist, Hateful Eight, The Big Short and Janis. In fact that would make up my top ten so far really.

I haven't got round to seeing Hail Caesar yet so will do this weekend, big Coens fan and I think it looks great. Also think Anomalisa looks pretty special.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 11:55:07 am by gregor »

Offline mattybeard

• Chicken Fondler. Group hug? Anyone?
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42043 on: March 10, 2016, 11:32:14 am »
Last 2 films I watched are London Has Fallen and Hail, Caesar!

London Has Fallen was awful, it's what I expected when I went but in somehow I still came out thinking it was worst than I'd hoped. Yuck.

Hail, Caesar! wasn't bad - I don't know enough about older films to fully give it a fair shot, the average age of the audience was 50+ and they seemed to enjoy it so I think I'm just not the target audience. Still, I enjoyed it but wouldn't watch it again.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #42044 on: March 10, 2016, 11:35:05 am »
London Has Fallen was awful, it's what I expected when I went but in somehow I still came out thinking it was worst than I'd hoped. Yuck.
Ha ha it was an absolute fucking rotter wasn't it!
London Has Fallen is possibly the worst film I've scene in the last 12 months, easily the worst of 2016 and possibly the worst I've ever scene at the cinema!

Dreadful in absolutely every aspect - sound editing, script, acting, script, editing, script, direction, script, lighting, script, editing, script, wardrobe, script, special effects, script, cgi, script, fight choreography! You can tell they just thought, well the last one made money, let's half the budget, get the same cast in and whatever's left after everyone's been paid we'll spend on blowing some shit up...badly!

I could barely hear what anyone was actually saying but I think they might even have had the audacity to steal a few lines from Predator FFS! This film is that diseased even Pete Doherty would think twice! Horseshit! :no

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #42045 on: March 10, 2016, 12:40:18 pm »
Anyone know when we'll be getting a decent set of English subs for this....

The Boy and the Beast
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4272866/
When a young orphaned boy living on the streets of Shibuya stumbles upon a fantastic world of beasts, he's taken in by a gruff warrior beast looking for an apprentice.

There's one set out there so far, that I can find but they appear to have been made with Google translate or some other such shite. Really want to see this but there's no point if I can't make out what the characters are saying!
Thanks for the ratio booster,Point Blank.

Did you do a search for subs to the film Bakemono No Ko?

https://yabt.tv//subtitles/en/Bakemono-no-ko-subtitles-English-/4272866
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #42046 on: March 10, 2016, 12:42:40 pm »

Match Point Break?

:P

There is actually a film called Break Point.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3062742/

It literally took me about six minute in to realise - I genuinely thought that they had changed Johnny Utah's favourite sport to Tennis...
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #42047 on: March 10, 2016, 02:01:47 pm »
Just watch Cliffhanger.

Seen it, i'd rather watch Chris Sharma and Dani Adrada :P

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42048 on: March 10, 2016, 02:06:24 pm »
Seen it, i'd rather watch Chris Sharma and Dani Adrada :P
I had a quick nose at it last night, if you're not arsed about top quality then it's watchable enough but I'll defo be hanging on for the HD version as I'm in no rush at all.

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42049 on: March 10, 2016, 02:45:22 pm »
There is actually a film called Break Point.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3062742/

It literally took me about six minute in to realise - I genuinely thought that they had changed Johnny Utah's favourite sport to Tennis...

Wow...that sounds terrible. lol
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42050 on: March 10, 2016, 03:31:25 pm »
Stumbled on this...thought it was ace...

Offline ElDuderino

• Main Stander
« Reply #42051 on: March 10, 2016, 11:15:30 pm »
Ok, so i'm a bit young-ish and never fancied watching old films, cause they're old, you know. Last night I watched Some Like It Hot and The Apartment. They absoutely blew my mind. What else should I watch?

EDIT
I also watched 12 angry men.
Wow.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 11:18:00 pm by ElDuderino »

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42052 on: March 10, 2016, 11:24:34 pm »
Ok, so i'm a bit young-ish and never fancied watching old films, cause they're old, you know. Last night I watched Some Like It Hot and The Apartment. They absoutely blew my mind. What else should I watch?

How old is old to you?

Brief encounter
Manhattan
Roman Holiday
To kill a mockingbird
12 Angry Men
Sunset boulevard
Double indemnity
Touch of evil
North by northwest
Chinatown
One flew over the cuckoos nest
Easy Rider
Casablanca
Vertigo
2001: A space Odyssey

Minds gone blank...I'm sure you'll get loads of suggestions.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 11:31:01 pm by johnsmithlfc »

Offline ElDuderino

• Main Stander
« Reply #42053 on: March 10, 2016, 11:33:25 pm »

How old is old to you?

Brief encounter
Manhattan
Roman Holiday

To kill a mockingbird
12 Angry Men
Sunset boulevard
North by northwest
Chinatown
One flew over the cuckoos nest
Easy Rider
Casablanca
Vertigo
I guess to me, pre goodfellas was too old. So it's quite broad. As my edit said, 12 Angry men blew my mind, thankyou netflix, but yeah. I guess part of my problem is I have no desire to watch "westerns" which normally makes up the list (not yours)

I'm pretty much a noob.. if it isnt coen brothers i dont care.
But im thinking easy rider and china town for a start sound like good shouts. Cheers!

Also what is the beginners hitchcock film? The film that's accessible but also hitchockian.

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42054 on: March 10, 2016, 11:38:15 pm »
Yeah easy rider or Chinatown would be good mate.
I'd say any of the more well know, major hits of Hitchcock would be fine to start with.
Vertigo, Rear Window, Psycho, and North by Northwest.

But you can't go wrong really.

Good luck.

So many amazing old films mate, you're lucky to be just starting out.

8)

Offline gregor

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42055 on: March 11, 2016, 12:03:13 am »

Wow.

Yes. That is the correct reaction I think. I've probably seen it 10 or 15 times and it still wows me, it's perfect.

Offline gregor

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42056 on: March 11, 2016, 12:08:00 am »
I guess to me, pre goodfellas was too old. So it's quite broad.

Ok, that's very broad! So anything pre-1990? Just off the top of my head, some of my favourite films pre-1990 in no order or specific genre:

The Godfather (and part 2)
Back to the Future
The Warriors
Blade Runner
The Sting
Stand By Me
The King of Comedy
All The President's Men
Manhattan
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Third Man
West Side Story
Bugsy Malone

I'll leave it there for now, enjoy. As for Hitchcock, Rear Window is probably my favourite.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 12:12:16 am by gregor »

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #42057 on: March 11, 2016, 07:19:00 am »
I guess to me, pre goodfellas was too old. So it's quite broad. As my edit said, 12 Angry men blew my mind, thankyou netflix, but yeah. I guess part of my problem is I have no desire to watch "westerns" which normally makes up the list (not yours)

But im thinking easy rider and china town for a start sound like good shouts. Cheers!

Also what is the beginners hitchcock film? The film that's accessible but also hitchockian.

Pretty much all Hitchcock films are accessible - they are very "mainstream" while also being full of goodies for those of us who like to study films deeper. The best is "North by Northwest" and it is a very easy and nice and fun watch. (Lovely actress of the time Eva Marie Saint is in it too.) I would say "Rope" is the next one that should be in your queue - it is really suspenseful. Then "To Catch a Thief" with the very, very, very, very lovely and Helen of Troy-like Grace Kelly. Those three have a nice pace, are easy on the eyes, and also give you a good introduction to Hitchcock's pacing and methods. When you are comfortable with those things and want more, try "Lifeboat" next.

"Rear Window" and "Vertigo" are great as well, but they are a little slower to the boil. Basically all the rest are to one degree or another excellent and definitely worth watching.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42058 on: March 11, 2016, 07:23:55 am »
What I would do after some Hitchcock is check out these two:

The Maltese Falcon
The Asphalt Jungle
(also Double Indemnity, which someone mentioned above)

See how you feel about those. If you enjoy them, then you have the entire canon of film noir to look forward to, which is brilliant because even the shit films in the Golden Age of that genre (1940-1959) are cool as hell.

Also, you have to watch Casablanca: a brilliant love story, suspense film, war film, mystery ... it is everything. Which reminds me that you have the entire catalogue of WW2 films to watch, like "Hell is for Heroes" and "The Longest Day" and "A Bridge Too Far."

Honestly, we could make lists for you that are 10 miles long and would just confuse you to death haha  :P
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 07:26:19 am by red mongoose »

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #42059 on: March 11, 2016, 07:46:01 am »
Great shouts for North by Northwest and Rear Window.

It kinda depends if you want to educate yourself about great films or just want great entertainment but aren't biased against old stuff.

3 favourites from the seventies are One Flew Over, Chinatown and Midnight Cowboy. Apocalypse Now is also a must if you haven't seen it. But as said, the Golden Age is that post-war period and you could plump for almost anything and come up with an enjoyable film.

I keep trying to get my young 'uns to open their eyes it as far as they're concerned, film didn't exist before 2000. You are a credit to your generation. I mean, imagine if Netflix had perfect copies of every game from the Shankly era? Half on here wouldn't bother to watch!

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #42060 on: March 11, 2016, 08:55:34 am »

Everyone else will  answer your question,I have one for you. No westerns? really? 
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42061 on: March 11, 2016, 03:03:48 pm »

EDIT
Wow.

I thought of a really cool one if you liked "12 Angry Men":

"Stalag 17" is set in a Nazi prisoner of war camp during WW2 and there is a central mystery around who is the traitor among the prisoners.
It is fucking great - give it a look.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42062 on: March 11, 2016, 05:35:37 pm »

EDIT
Wow.

If you liked 12 Angry men watch:

Judgment at Nuremberg
Inherit the wind

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #42063 on: March 12, 2016, 08:08:47 am »
Miles Davis movie coming soon, trailer looks awesome. The jazz boys in the hood.

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #42064 on: March 12, 2016, 08:14:47 am »
As for Westerns I'm not a big fan but The Searchers is a great movie.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42065 on: March 12, 2016, 09:35:28 am »
If you don't watch any Westerns you would never get to see The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #42066 on: March 12, 2016, 10:39:03 am »
Unforgiven, Shane, High Noon, Once Upon A Time In The West... did I say I wasn't a fan haha

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42067 on: March 12, 2016, 11:32:40 am »
If you don't watch any Westerns you would never get to see The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.

Or:

The Outlaw Josey Wales
High Plain Drifter
The Wind
The Treasure of Sierra Madre
The Ox-bow Incident
The Great Silence
My Darling Clementine
Etc

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42068 on: March 12, 2016, 11:35:12 am »

Or Adam Sandler's the ridiculous 6!
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #42069 on: March 12, 2016, 11:38:06 am »
Great shouts for North by Northwest and Rear Window.

It kinda depends if you want to educate yourself about great films or just want great entertainment but aren't biased against old stuff.

3 favourites from the seventies are One Flew Over, Chinatown and Midnight Cowboy. Apocalypse Now is also a must if you haven't seen it. But as said, the Golden Age is that post-war period and you could plump for almost anything and come up with an enjoyable film.

I keep trying to get my young 'uns to open their eyes it as far as they're concerned, film didn't exist before 2000. You are a credit to your generation. I mean, imagine if Netflix had perfect copies of every game from the Shankly era? Half on here wouldn't bother to watch!

Thanks for the recommendations.  North by Northwest and Rear Window on their way as well as Chinatown and Judgment at Nuremberg. #LFCFamily  ;D

Don't blame your kids that much. I'm 33 and while I have watched some older films pre 80's (I have missed some from then too), I have missed a shit ton of great films because stupidly the first instinct that kicked in was "Ah , can't be bothered with this or that. Too old". That and because had lost a bit of interest in films in general because of some quality TV series and lack of (recent) films that would interest me. Funny thing is that even in modern or relative modern films high production values for example is the last thing I'm looking forward.

Anyways, it's only been the last years I've made a consistent effort to watch old quality films. Your kids will turn around.  :)
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42070 on: March 12, 2016, 12:01:35 pm »
Thanks for the recommendations.  North by Northwest and Rear Window on their way as well as Chinatown and Judgment at Nuremberg. #LFCFamily  ;D

Judgment at Nuremburg features a memorable cameo from Montgomery Clift.

He starred in some great films (Place in the Sun, From here to Eternity) but I would highly recommend watching his performance in the Elia Kazan-directed Wild River.

Monty was struggling with alcoholism at the time but promised not to drink during the filming. With the help of the cast, he got through the shoot without touching a drop. His performance is fantastic.

Offline gregor

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42071 on: March 12, 2016, 02:38:46 pm »
So I saw Hail, Caesar! last night.  I enjoyed the film but I have to say I didn't love it. I'm a big Coens fan and I look forward to every one of their new films with so much anticipation, maybe that's why I was slightly disappointed with it. If I'd seen that film and it wasn't a Coens film I'd have probably thought it was great. I actually think I'd have enjoyed it more if it was just the Baird Whitlock story and that had been spun out a little bit more, with maybe one of the side stories going on instead of all of them. There was so much going on and I get that that's sort of the point, but it would have made for a better film for me.

On the plus side, Ralph Fiennes and Alden Ehrenreich were brilliant, and I like that they tried to do something a bit different. Also the Channing Tatum musical scene is worth seeing it for alone. As I say though, it just didn't quite hit the mark of most their previous work for me.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #42072 on: March 12, 2016, 03:31:51 pm »

Don't blame your kids that much. I'm 33 and while I have watched some older films pre 80's (I have missed some from then too), I have missed a shit ton of great films because stupidly the first instinct that kicked in was "Ah , can't be bothered with this or that. Too old". That and because had lost a bit of interest in films in general because of some quality TV series and lack of (recent) films that would interest me. Funny thing is that even in modern or relative modern films high production values for example is the last thing I'm looking forward.

Anyways, it's only been the last years I've made a consistent effort to watch old quality films. Your kids will turn around.  :)
[emoji16]

Just watching The Hustler ... absolute class. Great ensemble portrayal of despair and awkwardness. The male leads are fantastic but I'd forgotten how good Piper Laurie was in this.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #42073 on: March 12, 2016, 04:27:51 pm »
I came across a podcast called You Must Remember This which is a fantastic series (75 or so episodes) on old Hollywood with a bunch of different series

there are 12 episodes focussing on Charles Manson and the surrounding stories (Tate/Wilson/Polanski)
Another bunch about MGM and I'm half way through a series on Hollywood during the war

They are a definite must ('hear') for any one interested in old Hollywood

Well researched and whilst the creators/narrators pronunciation (occasionally) is a bit off, she does a very good job

http://www.youmustrememberthispodcast.com/

Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #42074 on: March 12, 2016, 06:39:53 pm »
Just seen The Witch. Very different to what I imagined; I thought it would be some derivative 'Babadook-type' movie. Genuinely fascinating throughout, and one of those entirely unexpected treats. The period setting is amazing, the score disturbing and really quite haunting. Great performances all round. Very much recommended!

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42075 on: March 12, 2016, 06:42:26 pm »
Just seen The Witch. Very different to what I imagined; I thought it would be some derivative 'Babadook-type' movie. Genuinely fascinating throughout, and one of those entirely unexpected treats. The period setting is amazing, the score disturbing and really quite haunting. Great performances all round. Very much recommended!
Whoop! Going tmw, been looking forward to this for six months,  glad to hear it's what I hoped!

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #42076 on: March 13, 2016, 10:02:01 am »
Just watched the Man from U.N.C.L.E. and thought it was good. I`m attracted to the continental Bond lifestyle.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42077 on: March 13, 2016, 01:59:25 pm »
Just watched Legion on Netflix. I do love the fallen angel/apocalypse genre (if it is a genre even). Netflix is a godsend for dumb, stupid Sunday afternoon films.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #42078 on: March 15, 2016, 11:50:17 am »
First red-band trailer for Seth Rogen’s Sausage Party

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/c7fP9q_LyDc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/c7fP9q_LyDc</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #42079 on: March 15, 2016, 05:46:33 pm »
Justin KrollVerified account
‏@krolljvar
BREAKING: Harrison Ford and Spielberg back for 5th INDIANA JONES, to bow July 19, 2019