Author Topic: Macbook/Macbook Pro thread  (Read 474415 times)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Re: Macbook/Macbook Pro thread
« Reply #6120 on: January 15, 2023, 09:39:47 am »
People are still using Safari...?

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6121 on: January 15, 2023, 12:44:25 pm »
It’s not my main browser but I’ll use it if I’m working on more than one device as I find handoff really useful and the integration is better using Safari.  If I’m casually browsing or streaming I’ll use Firefox, Chrome can be a bit hungry on MacOS.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6122 on: January 15, 2023, 01:49:37 pm »
It’s not my main browser but I’ll use it if I’m working on more than one device as I find handoff really useful and the integration is better using Safari.  If I’m casually browsing or streaming I’ll use Firefox, Chrome can be a bit hungry on MacOS.
Interesting - never had any issues since switching to Chrome about a century ago. My secondary is Firefox, which I find is slower.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6123 on: January 15, 2023, 09:04:08 pm »
Anyone else have issues with Safari? Certain websites images will just not load up for me, especially the official LFC site, i've cleared history, cache and made sure that i haven't got disabled images checked on in the developer menu , any ideas what could be wrong?

Example below....

I've just posted in the Sky thread about my broadband running slow but I only use an iPhone and MacBook and I am having these same issues. Driving me mad.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #6124 on: January 16, 2023, 12:24:20 am »
Interesting - never had any issues since switching to Chrome about a century ago. My secondary is Firefox, which I find is slower.

Chrome uses a crackers amount of resource on the Mac and it's not far behind on the PC.

Not sure why it's faster than Firefox which is fairly lean.

Never used Safari as it just seems a bit shite.. I used Chrome if I'm doing something webby that I need to analyse as I find the inspect tools to be a bit better - though Firefox has been improving steadily.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #6125 on: January 16, 2023, 07:20:51 am »
I've noticed a few weird quirks on the latest Safari, I haven't come across images not loading but I have noticed the scrolling becoming really choppy on certain sites.  Are you still having the same issue using a different browser ?  My main browser is Firefox and I haven't encountered a single issue.

everything works fine on chrome, but i just prefer using safari

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6126 on: January 16, 2023, 09:06:40 am »
People are still using Safari...?

I've used it for years for general browsing, much prefer it to chrome as a browser but can't get away from chrome for dev.

Liam, if you have the private relay on in iCloud settings it could be that, there was also a bug (which I imagine is fixed now?) with the tab groups.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6127 on: January 16, 2023, 12:01:32 pm »
Safari for me. It’s grand for what I do. Like others, I find chrome uses way more resources.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6128 on: January 17, 2023, 08:32:33 am »
Recently my battery has been going flat overnight. For years and years and years, all I've needed to do is simply close the laptop and it holds its charge well. It definitely didn't last night......

Any ideas?

It's one of the new M1 models. Been fine until the last few days. Also, it pings alerts for incoming messages (email, WA, etc) even when closed. Not encountered that on any previous model.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #6129 on: January 17, 2023, 08:38:06 am »
I've used it for years for general browsing, much prefer it to chrome as a browser but can't get away from chrome for dev.

Liam, if you have the private relay on in iCloud settings it could be that, there was also a bug (which I imagine is fixed now?) with the tab groups.

How do i check?

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6130 on: January 17, 2023, 08:44:40 am »
Settings/your name/iCloud.  On the right there should be a setting called ‘private relay’ which you can toggle on or off.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #6131 on: January 17, 2023, 06:54:32 pm »
Settings/your name/iCloud.  On the right there should be a setting called ‘private relay’ which you can toggle on or off.

still can't find it haha

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6132 on: January 18, 2023, 08:35:11 am »
In that case, you probably won't have enabled it in the first place, it's still Beta so not on by default.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6133 on: January 18, 2023, 09:53:56 pm »
Anyone had any issues with Touch ID? I updated to Ventura 13.1 and Touch ID not only doesn't work but I can't set it up. Known bug?

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6134 on: January 19, 2023, 05:54:29 am »
I had zero problems regarding touch ID running Ventura 13.1 (on an M2 Macbook air).

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #6135 on: January 19, 2023, 08:09:42 am »
In that case, you probably won't have enabled it in the first place, it's still Beta so not on by default.

Ah ok, might be in the next update then?

Still got no solution to my images problem..

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6136 on: January 19, 2023, 09:38:02 am »
I had zero problems regarding touch ID running Ventura 13.1 (on an M2 Macbook air).
It just magically appears to have worked today, maybe it was yesterday's SMC reboot?! Oh and M2? Oooh, get you ;D How do you find it compared with previous?

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6137 on: January 19, 2023, 10:51:23 am »
It just magically appears to have worked today, maybe it was yesterday's SMC reboot?! Oh and M2? Oooh, get you ;D How do you find it compared with previous?

Well, I upgraded from a 2017 MacBook Air (which was essentially a slightly bumped up 2015) so it's obviously a massive upgrade, my missus has a M1 which I've used a fair bit and the difference between that and the M2 isn't a huge leap, especially for my usage regarding the Air, it's faster but not massively (and I prefer the M1 aesthetically).  My work PC is an iMac M1 with 16gb and that seems quicker.

I reckon I could have saved myself a couple of hundred quid and opted for the M1 and been just as pleased.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6138 on: January 19, 2023, 11:43:58 am »
I reckon I could have saved myself a couple of hundred quid and opted for the M1 and been just as pleased.
Yeah I was leaning towards the M2 Air but I just felt the extra oomph of the MBP was worth the tiny sacrifice and the dealer also suggested that, for my usage, I wouldn't notice the difference in performance. Plus I get 1TB on the MBP and the improved screen (14") is also awesome.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6139 on: January 19, 2023, 11:50:48 am »
Bit pissed off these fuckers are yet to announce a redesigned bigger iMac.
I've been hoping for that to come for ages, but nothing. They released the Studio, new displays, new Mini and a whole suite of new laptops - but nothing yet on a bigger, more powerful iMac.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6140 on: January 19, 2023, 12:22:39 pm »
Bit pissed off these fuckers are yet to announce a redesigned bigger iMac.
I've been hoping for that to come for ages, but nothing. They released the Studio, new displays, new Mini and a whole suite of new laptops - but nothing yet on a bigger, more powerful iMac.

Mine is ghosting on the edges  so yes, apple, get a shift on and bring back the big iMacs.

I looked at the Studio display over Christmas and it's nice but like, then I'd have to decide on what to go with it (not to mention attempt to pay for it!) and and the biggest draw of the iMac for me was not having to piss about making hardware decisions.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6141 on: January 19, 2023, 01:34:15 pm »
Same here. I appreciate the Studio package, but it's pretty expensive and well, makes me have two things on my desk instead of one :D. iMac is where it's at for me, I'm a heavy user - but not video editing/3D modelling level. So iMacs have always been the best balance for me. New design on small iMacs looks nice enough, but give me a 30'' one please and offer them in piano black or white please.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6142 on: January 19, 2023, 02:38:43 pm »
Haha yeah, I'm with you on the extra things on my desk! Plus, more wires!

I like the design of the M1 and was seriously considering it but when I saw it in person it hit me how much smaller it is, the 27" plus the bezels, so you're losing screen space and then just the entire 'thing' is smaller. I'm looking at replacing this iMac late this year I reckon, so fingers crossed something appears.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #6143 on: January 22, 2023, 04:54:27 pm »
Ah ok, might be in the next update then?

Still got no solution to my images problem..

I’m getting the same thing on safari on my iPhone now on some websites

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6144 on: January 22, 2023, 10:32:32 pm »
might be worth having a look on console in the desktop safari to see if there's any clues.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6145 on: January 24, 2023, 08:04:27 am »
I’m getting the same thing on safari on my iPhone now on some websites

MacOS and iOS updated to 13.2/ 16.3 yesterday, it included an update to Safari, hopefully that may solve your issues matey.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 09:07:39 am by Hedley Lamarr »

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6146 on: February 1, 2023, 11:23:00 am »
Same here. I appreciate the Studio package, but it's pretty expensive and well, makes me have two things on my desk instead of one :D. iMac is where it's at for me, I'm a heavy user - but not video editing/3D modelling level. So iMacs have always been the best balance for me. New design on small iMacs looks nice enough, but give me a 30'' one please and offer them in piano black or white please.

The dream for me is a 32inch iMac M2. Lose the chin and make it thicker rather than the razor edge of the last 27. The studio is great and all, but I’ve had iMacs since 2006 and just love them. My wife has the latest one. It’s a great wee machine but too small for what I do.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6147 on: February 1, 2023, 11:27:13 am »
Yes please. Make it thicker, with better ventilation. This current design is choking on dust after just a year and it often leaks into the screen panel. I've spent too much money and time cleaning it. Also bring back the fucking back door to add more RAM you cheap fucks. Best thing that ever existed on an iMac.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6148 on: February 1, 2023, 11:42:39 am »
I'm sure I saw on macrumors a 'chinless' concept image but I can't find it now. Did spot this from December:

Gurman also said a new iMac with an M3 chip will "probably launch at the end of 2023 at the earliest," without sharing any further details. The current iMac launched in April 2021 with the M1 chip and a slim, colorful design, and Gurman previously said Apple planned to skip releasing an iMac with the M2 chip. He added that Apple remains interested in a new iMac Pro with Apple silicon, but that it has faced delays internally.
https://www.macrumors.com/2022/12/18/new-macbook-pro-early-2023-gurman/

*sigh*

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #6149 on: February 11, 2023, 09:05:12 am »
Bit of advice from the apple gang please. What do you recommend for a plug for a new iPhone for someone without a MacBook.  It looks like a usb c to me. Are third party chargers/cables recommended? Is the flat bit universal? Ie can I just wang in the charger from another apple product. I feel so dirty suggesting I may have one .
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6150 on: February 11, 2023, 11:09:54 am »
Anyone here have the Mac Studio or an M1 Macbook with an external display? Considering getting the Studio and upgrade my monitor at the same time. I know the Studio doesn't support HDMI 2.1, so my initial plan of pairing it with a 42"/43" TV is not viable. Anyone have hands-on experience with a screen in the 38" - 43" range that scales well with the M1s?
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #6151 on: February 11, 2023, 11:42:45 am »
Bit of advice from the apple gang please. What do you recommend for a plug for a new iPhone for someone without a MacBook.  It looks like a usb c to me. Are third party chargers/cables recommended? Is the flat bit universal? Ie can I just wang in the charger from another apple product. I feel so dirty suggesting I may have one .

You should be able to use any type-c charger with power delivery, shouldn't matter. And yes, any other Apple type-c charger would work as well.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #6152 on: February 11, 2023, 01:39:18 pm »
Thanks!
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #6153 on: February 11, 2023, 11:50:59 pm »
Anyone here have the Mac Studio or an M1 Macbook with an external display? Considering getting the Studio and upgrade my monitor at the same time. I know the Studio doesn't support HDMI 2.1, so my initial plan of pairing it with a 42"/43" TV is not viable. Anyone have hands-on experience with a screen in the 38" - 43" range that scales well with the M1s?

I've got an M1 Mini-mac and it runs fine with 2 displays.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6154 on: February 12, 2023, 08:58:17 am »
I've got an M1 Mini-mac and it runs fine with 2 displays.
......until it doesn't and then you post an entertaining rant on here about it ;) :wave

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6155 on: February 12, 2023, 10:33:37 am »
Andy has really gone all in on macs 🤣🤣

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #6156 on: February 15, 2023, 11:47:26 am »
If you have an iOS device or Computer you need to do an update NOW

Apple are being quiet about it, but it seems this is worse than the 18th August issue - your security is likely breached.

DO IT NOW. DON'T EXPOSE YOURSELF. Get it installed. Get it rebooted.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #6157 on: February 15, 2023, 11:48:56 am »
Andy has really gone all in on macs 🤣🤣

Not really :) I've only got my work MacBook Pro, My MacBook Pro and my M1 MiniMac.

Apart from that I have a Mint Laptop, Ubuntu Laptop, Centos 7, Centos 9, OS2/Warp, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 10 and five Windows 11 boxes :)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6158 on: February 15, 2023, 11:50:58 am »
for someone who hated them, though... ;D

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6159 on: February 15, 2023, 11:52:16 am »
If you have an iOS device or Computer you need to do an update NOW

Apple are being quiet about it, but it seems this is worse than the 18th August issue - your security is likely breached.

DO IT NOW. DON'T EXPOSE YOURSELF. Get it installed. Get it rebooted.
Get what installed?