Author Topic: Broadband switching advice?  (Read 1285 times)

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
Broadband switching advice?
« on: March 1, 2020, 08:07:20 pm »
Hi everyone

I did not find a relevant thread for this so if it is in the wrong place could a mod please move it.

I am sorry to bother you all but as I practically use RAWK for most things I thought I would ask you more knowledgeable reds for some help regarding my broadband. I have been with sky broadband for 6 years and I guess I am no longer a valued customer for them. I was forced to join them as they took over the 02 broadband contact once they decided they did not want to provide a services. I have never had my line rental with them as that is with BT as my elderly mother is on a package called BT Basic (discounted line rental basically. Sky are saying that I need to change over my line rental to them or I will have to pay double £20 a month for a 5mb service that has not improved at all.  I don't want to change over my line rental and the choices to do so are limited as all need line rental. I really want to bin off sky as my loyalty does not mean anything to them at all.

Any advice I have rang them a few times and they are not helpful at all. Don't want to miss out on the title run in etc but upset at the way sky have been with me. All prices seem the same. I really rely on my internet access. Just found out that they are increasing their prices in more by £2 extra as well.

kind regards

scouseman   
« Last Edit: March 1, 2020, 08:35:26 pm by scouseman »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Broadband switching advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 1, 2020, 09:33:49 pm »
Hi everyone

I did not find a relevant thread for this so if it is in the wrong place could a mod please move it.

I am sorry to bother you all but as I practically use RAWK for most things I thought I would ask you more knowledgeable reds for some help regarding my broadband. I have been with sky broadband for 6 years and I guess I am no longer a valued customer for them. I was forced to join them as they took over the 02 broadband contact once they decided they did not want to provide a services. I have never had my line rental with them as that is with BT as my elderly mother is on a package called BT Basic (discounted line rental basically. Sky are saying that I need to change over my line rental to them or I will have to pay double £20 a month for a 5mb service that has not improved at all.  I don't want to change over my line rental and the choices to do so are limited as all need line rental. I really want to bin off sky as my loyalty does not mean anything to them at all.

Any advice I have rang them a few times and they are not helpful at all. Don't want to miss out on the title run in etc but upset at the way sky have been with me. All prices seem the same. I really rely on my internet access. Just found out that they are increasing their prices in more by £2 extra as well.

kind regards

scouseman

TalkTalk are sound,moved to them from BT a couple of years ago and only had 1 problem that wasn't their fault,even so they gave me a free month as the line took 3 days to fix (openreach not TT).Once you set in motion switching,the people you switch to contact Sky (don't bother yourself),nearly always Sky will then contact you and offer you a better package.

Fucked up that they're trying to charge you line rental though as it's free with them if I sign up as it is with all other providers.

Did they say that they would charge for the line rental change,if they didn't then you may as well let them do it,you get to keep your number.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline gary75

• Despite all his care, he suffers from a sticky ring.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2 on: March 1, 2020, 09:48:08 pm »
https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/guides/switching/switch-broadband

Point 10 seems relevant in your case if sky are being arsey about your situation.

uSwitch is my go to site when I'm contemplating any service provider change.

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #3 on: March 1, 2020, 09:57:08 pm »
TalkTalk are sound,moved to them from BT a couple of years ago and only had 1 problem that wasn't their fault,even so they gave me a free month as the line took 3 days to fix (openreach not TT).Once you set in motion switching,the people you switch to contact Sky (don't bother yourself),nearly always Sky will then contact you and offer you a better package.

Fucked up that they're trying to charge you line rental though as it's free with them if I sign up as it is with all other providers.

Did they say that they would charge for the line rental change,if they didn't then you may as well let them do it,you get to keep your number.

pay only about £15 quid every 3 months mate for LR. Mum does not make that many calls at all. Just worried that whatever I do will cost her more. I will ring uswitch to see what they say tomorrow.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 1, 2020, 10:06:21 pm »
pay only about £15 quid every 3 months mate for LR. Mum does not make that many calls at all. Just worried that whatever I do will cost her more. I will ring uswitch to see what they say tomorrow.

Yeah well line rental is usually included in your Broadband package,I doubt Sky would then charge you line rental if you're using them for you BB already,shouldn't charge you to take over it either.

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #5 on: March 2, 2020, 03:04:41 pm »
just a quick update. Uswitch are as useful as the Everton keepers arms at keeping shots out. Useless. I think I have had a result with sky having rang them up about the price increase just now. They have put me on a rolling contact at 9 quid a month for 18 months and I am free to leave when I want as I am not in contract. I did not think I needed super speed BB but was not happy to pay the £20 quid for 5 mbps BB. I was quoted 27 quid for fast BB At least this way I can grin and bear it for a while longer. I know that I am not their favorite customer as I do not have sky for TV or telephone etc but that is my situation.

what do you think? How come super speed BB prices have not come down yet?
« Last Edit: March 2, 2020, 03:08:18 pm by scouseman »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 2, 2020, 03:06:51 pm »
just a quick update. Uswitch are as useful as the Everton keepers arms at keeping shots out. Useless. I think I have had a result with sky having rang them up about the price increase just now. They have put me on a rolling contact at 9 quid a month for 18 months and I am free to leave when I want as I am not in contract. I did not think I needed super speed BB but was not happy to pay the £20 quid for 5 mbps BB. At least this way I can grin and bear it for a while longer. I know that I am not their favorite customer as I do not have sky for TV or telephone etc but that is my situation.

what do you think?

£9pm for your internet with line rental included ? If it is then it's cheap as chips isn't  it.

Why are you only getting 5mbps ?

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #7 on: March 2, 2020, 03:15:44 pm »
£9pm for your internet with line rental included ? If it is then it's cheap as chips isn't  it.

Why are you only getting 5mbps ?

no 9 quid for BB to sky on its own and mum staying on that BT basic package of £5.10 quid a month about 14 quid in total. I highly recommend BT basic if you have any elderly family members on a low income. The line rental price is amazing. £15.30p every 3 months and they also give you a small call allowance of 7.50 a month or every 3 months in my mums situation. she never really uses the phone that much but is happy it is there just in case she needs it. I hated the thought of her paying more for something that she will not use anyway because of me having internet.

as for why I am only getting 5mbps. I guess it is my line. I have never once in 6 years seen it go above that. I assumed it was to do with the copper box thing that the internet is connected to or they are stopping me from getting a better speed and wanted me to change over to super fast BB. Any ideas would be welcome as the speed drives me up the wall. I asked for a new rooter and they said no as was not in contract.

« Last Edit: March 2, 2020, 03:26:40 pm by scouseman »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 2, 2020, 03:33:04 pm »
no 9 quid for BB to sky on its own and mum staying on that BT basic package of £5.10 quid a month about 14 quid in total. I highly recommend BT basic if you have any elderly family members on a low income. The line rental price is amazing. £15.30p every 3 months and they also give you a small call allowance of 7.50 a month or every 3 months in my mums situation. she never really uses the phone that much but is happy it is there just in case she needs it. I hated the thought of here paying more for something that she will not use anyway because of me having internet.

as for why I am only getting 5mbps. I guess it is my line. I have never once in 6 years seen it go above that. I assumed it was to do with the copper box thing that the internet is connected to or they are stopping me from getting a better speed and wanted me to change over to super fast BB. Any ideas would be welcome as the speed drives me up the wall. I asked for a new rooter and they said no as was not in contact.

If you're happy with that speed then I suppose it's ok,wouldn't you have gotten free line rental with Sky had to let them take over the line though ?

Post office BB is one of the cheapest for 11mbps and you can add a phone package to it for about £5 & talktalk 38mbps is £23.50 but a bit of haggling you can get anytime calls added for free,you also get a £105 voucher for Amazon,M&S or Tesco or the 11mbps one is £19.95 and you get a £60 voucher.

https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/providers/talktalk/talktalk-broadband

You should be able to get over 5 even though it is copper,I'm getting over 60 and have copper from the box to the house,you should really be getting 11mbps on that Sky package.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2020, 03:35:48 pm by WhereAngelsPlay »

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #9 on: March 2, 2020, 03:34:25 pm »
Ring Virgin (or whoever) and tell em you're a Sky customer shortly out of contract and just doing a price comparison  ;)

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #10 on: March 2, 2020, 03:49:32 pm »
If you're happy with that speed then I suppose it's ok,wouldn't you have gotten free line rental with Sky had to let them take over the line though ?

Post office BB is one of the cheapest for 11mbps and you can add a phone package to it for about £5 & talktalk 38mbps is £23.50 but a bit of haggling you can get anytime calls added for free,you also get a £105 voucher for Amazon,M&S or Tesco or the 11mbps one is £19.95 and you get a £60 voucher.

https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/providers/talktalk/talktalk-broadband

You should be able to get over 5 even though it is copper,I'm getting over 60 and have copper from the box to the house,you should really be getting 11mbps on that Sky package.

The thing is these sales reps bombard you with so much information and it can be so stressful for me to understand it all. I think the guy said 23 quid a month if I gave them the line rental for normal BB without a call package. i think I would have got line rental for free as it is with all main providers.

At least for the short term I am not in contract and this allows me to shop around. I need to look into it more at least if I do find a better deal I can leave. I will give the sky technical support team a ring and see if they can improve the speed  for me. Maybe it is me for not being tough and being able to complain and just excepting crap from sky because it was cheap did not want to be a even bigger piss-taker .   
« Last Edit: March 2, 2020, 04:02:43 pm by scouseman »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 2, 2020, 04:03:14 pm »
The thing is these sales reps bombard you with so much information and it can be so stressful for me to understand it all. I think the guy said 23 quid a month if I gave them the line rental for normal BB without a call package. At least for the short term I am not in contract and this allows me to shop around. I need to look into it more at least if I do find a better deal I can leave. I will give the sky technical support team a ring and see if they can improve the speed  for me. Maybe it is me for not being tough and being able to complain and just excepting crap from sky because it was cheap did not want to be a even bigger piss-taker .

All of them treat new customers better than existing,everyone of the bastards.